2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

Time for a new M1 discussion based on what I have seen from a few different people swinging this club. I was an M1 owner about 6 months ago and couldn't get along with it. I purchased a 9.5 degree w/ Aldila Rogue Silver Shaft and the flight was awful. I tried putting the weight all the way in the back and still had a heck of a time getting the ball in the air. I am not an overly high ball hitter to begin with but I don't hit low ropes either. Very mid-flight player with driver and swing speed is 105-110. Now, this was an impulse purchase and I didn't get fit for the club or hit on the launch monitor (shame on me). I ended up picking up a KK silver shaft to help with flight and still, no improvement. I decided to fire sale the club.

We are similar handicaps with similar SS. I found the M1 9.5* launched very low and just knuckled right out of the sky with minimal carry when I demo'd on the range and course. This was with the Rogue Silver 70 shaft.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for a new M1 discussion based on what I have seen from a few different people swinging this club. I was an M1 owner about 6 months ago and couldn't get along with it. I purchased a 9.5 degree w/ Aldila Rogue Silver Shaft and the flight was awful. I tried putting the weight all the way in the back and still had a heck of a time getting the ball in the air. I am not an overly high ball hitter to begin with but I don't hit low ropes either. Very mid-flight player with driver and swing speed is 105-110. Now, this was an impulse purchase and I didn't get fit for the club or hit on the launch monitor (shame on me). I ended up picking up a KK silver shaft to help with flight and still, no improvement. I decided to fire sale the club.

We are similar handicaps with similar SS. I found the M1 9.5* launched very low and just knuckled right out of the sky with minimal carry when I demo'd on the range and course. This was with the Rogue Silver 70 shaft.

Another member sent me a PM about TM tip trimming their shaft an inch instead of butt trimming. This makes perfect sense since tip trimming will bring the flight down substantially.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Any M1 owners playing the 12* version, or is there less of a need to loft up compared to the SLDR?

How do the two clubs compare on mishits?

I play a 12* m1. I think they went away from advertising "loft up" but I'm a big fan of the 12*. Getting more distance and forgiveness vs my g30 ls.

I went from 12 in the SLDR 430 to the M1 430 10.5 and they hit the exact same height. The M1 is way more forgiving

I just picked up a 10.5 M1 in Mint* condition from Global Golf, using various codes, promotions, and trading in some old clubs gathering dust, I just 'had to' do it. I have used a 12* SLDR (set down to 11*, with weight just on the fade side of neutral), with a lighter weight in it the past two seasons, with a Ka'li shaft I got as a GolfWRX contest winner some 3 years ago now.

I popped that shaft into the M1 and set it up similarly to how I have the SLDR and went to the range. For me, the flight was too low. So I went up one notch to 11*, set the weight all the way to the back and that made all the difference. I was getting a nicely flighted draw and it seemed to go a good ways (no monitor stuff, just eyeballs and markers in the distance). I like the feel/sound and I will take it on the course Saturday to see how it performs in anger.

Of cousre that means I have an M1 sitting slightly closed versus the SLDR at slightly open, but that is actually how I used to have my 913D2. If it performs on course then great, if not maybe a 12* is in order. All I know is I haven't found a better driver head/shaft combo than the SLDR for me in the past 2 years, so we'll see if this is finally the upgrade.

Mint meaning still in plastic.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Another member sent me a PM about TM tip trimming their shaft an inch instead of butt trimming. This makes perfect sense since tip trimming will bring the flight down substantially.

Wow. That would definitely explain the lower ball flight but it's hard to imagine a manufacturer making that kind of mistake.

Well, the honeymoon period is in full effect. I was fitted for a M1, 12* clocked down to 10* to open the face. Weights near toe and all the way forward.

Put it into play for the first time at Erin Hills and hit 8/14 fairways. Hit 3/3 today before getting rained off the course.

Driving has always been the weakest part of my game. It would normally take me 2-2.5 rounds to hit 8 fairways. LOL

I'm giving this club another shot now that I know TM tips an inch. I just picked up a 10.5 head in the classifieds here and will be throwing an AD-DI 6X shaft in it that hasn't been tipped. I'll let you guys know how it performs once it arrives.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Personally, I can tweak face angles with my grip, and I'm happy to do that with the M2 if I need to. But I do hear and respect what you're saying.

But when you move it with your hands you move the club head and then the ball flight changes.

I like mine to look nearly all the way open with the setting sleeve at -1.5 deg which then causes me to hit way too much left to right for me. So I move the front slider nearly all the way to draw. I also move the back slider back to gain a bit more of the loft flight up again.

I get everything I want- Club sits perfectly at address, I can line up my grip, I get the ball flight both height and direction like I want. I also prefer the smaller headsizes so the M1 430 gives me that.

This formula has worked for me for a while. I played the SLDR 430 exactly the same way.

I'm sure the M2 is a great club (I haven't seen one as I don't shop for clubs much)

Yes, that's the point I was making, that I can alter the ball flight simply by a very slight grip change. That's why the M2 suits me fine. Saves me a few $$$ too.

That was me & TM policy of Tipping shafts 1" is messing up MANY of the stock & aftermarket shafts for the M1.

I have at most a 105MPH Swing & a untipped Diamana W60S in my M1 430 10.5 (lowered .5) & I launch bombs with it, best driver I have hit in years.

The M1 is not nearly as "Low Launch" as the SLDR was BUT when you put a already STOUT Rogue Silver 70 & chop 1 inch off the tip you are basically ruining the shaft & the club.

Can't wait to hear how your new experiment goes.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

So am I understanding that the m1 with weight back should play just add forgiving at the m2?

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

So am I understanding that the m1 with weight back should play just add forgiving at the m2?

Even with the weight back all the way in the M1, the M2 still has a higher MOI and should be a little more forgiving. This is coming from everything I have read. However, I didn't really notice a difference in real life testing. I think the M2 may have been a little more forgiving on low heel shots, but that could have been all in my head.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Head to head with the same shaft (literally the same exact one) I was seeing 400-500 more spin in the M2 vs the M1 with the weights in the front.

For me, the M1 is the better fit.

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

Monoblok 6.5

Ok, been awhile since i posted on here. Just purchased the M1 430, 10.5. I was at the PGA Superstore and hit this in the bay with the launch monitor. I was killing it. Yes the drives were being spread out to the left a bit but the distance, sound and feel was what i like. I figured it was me pushing the drives and they were consistent. My swing speed is in the 100-107 range. I made the purchase and had the Rogue 80 stiff shaft. I didnt like the feel at all. I since made a switch to a Mitsubishi Kai-li shaft. 80g stiff. I love the feel. I am trying to dial it in. I guess I have more questions, now that i am fully committed to making this club work. I have the weights in neutral and Low. I like a low COG feeling head kinda like the feel of a 3 wood. I also like hitting the ball high. And to add to my confusion i feel more comfortable with a open club face. I think i am suffering from paralysis from over analysis. If anybody has any hints please feel free to explain. I know this has probably been mentioned many times but my brain is fried. I think i have it dialed in and than like a fool i hit one bad shot and try all over again. Must be the ADDHD. In short when i do connect with this driver this thing goes. When i mess up the shot its a dying bird with a bad draw. Thanks!

Now that I have an untipped shaft in the driver I am seeing a much better flight. The already low launching Aldila Rogue Silver tipped an inch is just unplayable for me. I am playing an AD DI-6X in the M1 with much better results.

For those with a swing speed in the mid 90's, which shafts have you found the most success with?

I have the stock Fuji Pro 60 R and my flight is really high with little roll. I seem to be getting too much spin. When I originally demo'd the club this winter before purchase, the GC2 I was on was clearly off because it was reading my swing speed much lower on every club but on a Trackman I anywhere between 92-95. The Zepp swing analyzer has given me a speed of 96-97 recently. I think it is becoming clear that the high launch and high spin of the Fujikura Pro 60 is costing me some distance. Perhaps I should try to demo the mid launch Kuro Kage shaft.

Thoughts and experience?

I have a friend who is a VERY high hitter. Swing speed has been measured at 120 during a shaft fitting. I always joke with him because I remember reading a golf digest article a while back that talked about how J Day kept the ball in the air with driver longer than anyone at tour at 6.X seconds. I decided to time his hang time once and it was over 9 seconds. He plays a 9.5 degree 913 D3 and carries the ball 290-300 but doesn't get any roll out. I brought the M1 out for him one day and cranked it down to the lowest loft and weight all the way forward and it brought his flight down a lot. He swung it a few times and didn't hit a single good shot with the club and he is a 1-2 handicap.

Over the weekend, I played with a guy who I have only played with once before. The first time I played with him he was hitting a 913 D3 as well and had a nice trajectory and flight with this club. This weekend, he had an M1 with an Aldila Tour Green shaft and his flight with the club was really bad compared to what I saw when he was hitting the 913 D3. Ball was hit significantly lower and seemed to just fall out of the sky. After noticing this, I was curious if he had been fit for the club. He said he got fit on a Trackman. He is a pretty good player and shot 76 that day.

Then I saw that DJ is hitting his 10.5 M1 w/ 11 degrees of loft. That was shocking to me. If he is swinging the club with 11 degrees of loft with his swing speed, it makes perfect sense while all others who I have seen swing this club hit the ball substantially lower and have trouble keeping the ball in the air with this club. This is just what I have observed but found it to be interesting.

After 8 months with the M1, i still have the club set for -2 in the hosel and trajectory slider to the front. I'm still hitting the ball high and but it's a lot flatter compared to where it was with the FT9 Tour at 8.5. I've been switching back and fourth between the Rogue Silver 70x and 757 Evo TS X and still hitting both shafts plenty high up in the air (Rogue Silver being touch lower)

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

Now that I have an untipped shaft in the driver I am seeing a much better flight. The already low launching Aldila Rogue Silver tipped an inch is just unplayable for me. I am playing an AD DI-6X in the M1 with much better results.

Told ya you would be happy!!!

The m1 430 10.5 is monstrous for me, but those stock shafts with 1" of tipping screw the club up bad. I've seen some that were tipped OVER 1".

The m1 is a beast, best driver TM has possibly ever built.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

I have a friend who is a VERY high hitter. Swing speed has been measured at 120 during a shaft fitting. I always joke with him because I remember reading a golf digest article a while back that talked about how J Day kept the ball in the air with driver longer than anyone at tour at 6.X seconds. I decided to time his hang time once and it was over 9 seconds. He plays a 9.5 degree 913 D3 and carries the ball 290-300 but doesn't get any roll out. I brought the M1 out for him one day and cranked it down to the lowest loft and weight all the way forward and it brought his flight down a lot. He swung it a few times and didn't hit a single good shot with the club and he is a 1-2 handicap.

Over the weekend, I played with a guy who I have only played with once before. The first time I played with him he was hitting a 913 D3 as well and had a nice trajectory and flight with this club. This weekend, he had an M1 with an Aldila Tour Green shaft and his flight with the club was really bad compared to what I saw when he was hitting the 913 D3. Ball was hit significantly lower and seemed to just fall out of the sky. After noticing this, I was curious if he had been fit for the club. He said he got fit on a Trackman. He is a pretty good player and shot 76 that day.

Then I saw that DJ is hitting his 10.5 M1 w/ 11 degrees of loft. That was shocking to me. If he is swinging the club with 11 degrees of loft with his swing speed, it makes perfect sense while all others who I have seen swing this club hit the ball substantially lower and have trouble keeping the ball in the air with this club. This is just what I have observed but found it to be interesting.

DJ delofts his driver maybe more than anybody in the history of golf. He has been playing drivers at 10.5* or higher for years.

I know this is the M1 driver thread, but I'm curious about the 3wood. Is the only difference between the m1 and m2 the adjustability in loft and weights? Is the m2 more forgiving? I have an M2 driver but have the chance of getting an M1 3wood from a buddy for a pretty good deal. I've heard a ton about people loving the m2 3 wood, but don't know much about the M1.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I just bought an m1 430 8.5 after trying out it with the rogue 70 s. The shaft was ok but not great given that I got 14 launch but 1800 bs.

Currently game the r15, 9.5 set at 8.5 with the diamana d+70. My question is anyone try this diamana shaft with the m1 head? Anyone get better launch numbers with the diamana? According to the tm chart the diaman should launch lower but I didn't have that issue with the r15.

Ok so I just bought an m1 430 8.5 after trying out it with the rogue 70 s. The shaft was ok but not great given that I got 14 launch but 1800 bs.

Currently game the r15, 9.5 set at 8.5 with the diamana d+70. My question is anyone try this diamana shaft with the m1 head? Anyone get better launch numbers with the diamana? According to the tm chart the diaman should launch lower but I didn't have that issue with the r15.

Umm huh? What's wrong with 14 launch and 1800 spin?

Umm huh? What's wrong with 14 launch and 1800 spin?

Not a fitting expert but at 14 u need about 2000 rpm , 1800 is very low

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Agree that 17/1700 is somewhat hard to make happen. But 17/1700 is definitely not a myth. Its totally dependent on your swing. I would think these numbers can be had with most of the current low-forward CG drivers, if you have adequate +AOA. Add in enough ball speed and you'll be smiling all day.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]