2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Skygolf

I usually don't bad mouth people or companies, but I've had it with Skygolf.

Been a customer of theirs since 2009 when I purchased an SG5. March of2012 I upgraded to new SGXw. In August of 2013 the SGXw quit working. Long story short the GPS antenna went bad on it. Since it was out of warranty, I was out of luck. Skygolf graciously offered to exchange my unit for a "refurbished" replacement for the cost of $90. After a little back and forth, they kindly reduced the refurbished unit to $60.

After two years, the refurbished unit won't last an 18 hole round. I don't play a ton of golf (20-25 rounds per summer). I contacted Skygolf again and they informed that I could send the unit for a battery replacement for $45. That's the end of the line for me.

It drives me crazy when a company will not stand behind their product. I've spent over $600 on equipment (GPS units, accessories, etc) and $300 on memberships over the last 6 years. I'm done doing business with a company like this.

That said, what company and device would you recommend for a replacement?

Titleist TSi3 10* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65 X
Titleist TSi2 16.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 75 X
Titleist 816H2 21* Diamana D+ 90 HY X
Titleist T100 4-PW KBS Tour S+ 1* flat
Titleist SM8 50.12F 1* flat
Titleist SM8 54.14F 1* flat
Titleist SM7 58.12D 1* flat
'17 Select Newport 2 34"

'18 Select Newport 3 34"
Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to highjack your thread, and I hope everyone keeps on point with what you are seeking suggestions on and not debate one device/system over another.
I haven't used my SkyCaddie since last May. That is shortly after I got Arccos tags and their app for my iPhone. Keeps my scores, stats are great. I actually have less interaction updating it than I did with my SG3.5. No more left, right, miss..... strokes, putts, etc on every hole. Don't have to push a button to mark my ball to get a distance of how far I hit my drive. It's all collected automatically. I do have to make a correction every now and then, but it is a snap. And when I need the GPS, the screen is so much easier to see. No more of those tiny numbers. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Taylormade M2[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike Sumo 3w, 5w[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Nike CPR 26*[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Futura X7M DB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Precision Pro NX7 Pro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Arccos Game Tracker[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='cmmgolflab' timestamp='1443554011' post='12385466']
I usually don't bad mouth people or companies, but I've had it with Skygolf.

Been a customer of theirs since 2009 when I purchased an SG5. March of2012 I upgraded to new SGXw. In August of 2013 the SGXw quit working. Long story short the GPS antenna went bad on it. Since it was out of warranty, I was out of luck. Skygolf graciously offered to exchange my unit for a "refurbished" replacement for the cost of $90. After a little back and forth, they kindly reduced the refurbished unit to $60.

After two years, the refurbished unit won't last an 18 hole round. I don't play a ton of golf (20-25 rounds per summer). I contacted Skygolf again and they informed that I could send the unit for a battery replacement for $45. That's the end of the line for me.

It drives me crazy when a company will not stand behind their product. I've spent over $600 on equipment (GPS units, accessories, etc) and $300 on memberships over the last 6 years. I'm done doing business with a company like this.

That said, what company and device would you recommend for a replacement?
[/quote]
I've heard this from other people as well. However, there are many folks who swear by their Skycaddie device. I currently use use a Garmin G5 and I love it. The benefits I like best with my G5 is that it uses AA batteries and doesn't need to be plugged into the wall for re-charging. I just carry an extra set of batteries in my bag - just in case. Plus it doesn't require an annual money subscription charge and map updates are free.

Since it is out of warranty, why don't you replace the battery yourself? You have nothing to risk.

A quick Google search for "sgxw battery" yielded this for example, along with numerous other battery supplier options. If you can figure out how to open the unit then this is probably an easy DIY project for <$20.

http://www.batteryclerk.com/store/p/82894-SkyGolf-SkyCaddie-SGXw-SkyCaddie-SGX-W-SkyCaddie-SGX-SkyCad-Battery.html?cat=GPS&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=54331&gclid=CP3zmLTJncgCFQwYHwod584HYg

Otherwise spend ~$180, maybe less, for a Garmin G6... no subscription fee.

It depends on what you are looking for in a rangefinder as far as features, cost, etc. But, I hate to say, I don't think you're going to have much luck finding one that is going to repair or replace the battery for free when the warranty expires or after a couple years of use. I haven't owned many different rangefinders, but in my experience with electronics in general, its always going to cost.

+ 1 on the Garmin G6.

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, TM Stealth 2, 21* both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 4H & 5H, Xcaliber RTI75 S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 6-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48*, 53* & 58*, Accra T90i S
Putter: LAB Golf DF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

Batteries go bad over time. It's a fact of life. I got 2 years out of my Samsung smartphone battery, and it needed replacing. Luckily, the device had a swappable battery.

Don't see how they're responsible. It's not like it was one day after the warranty expired. I've used their replacement service twice. Given that used device go for roughly $100 on Ebay, I don't think a $90 charge for a refurbished one is a bad deal.

I agree with Andy. Replace the battery yourself. You've got nothing to lose at this point.

If we're going to kvetch, it should be directed at the [b]entire consumer electronics industry[/b] for collectively moving away from user-replaceable batteries. My next phone will be a Note 4, which is an older model, because it's the last model with a removable battery.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

It is unfortunate that you had these issues, i have been lucky to have my SGX for over 5 years and it is still going strong. Mine is also out of warrenty but i do not mind having to pay a subscription fee. Like any product after the warrenty is up they will charge you fees to fix things, it is the nature of the beast. I think it is great they discounted it for you but if you are unhappy with it and the subscription fee no one is stopping you from going to a different device. I could see if you just purchased it, then i would agree with you.

We are free to pick what ever company we want to buy from when it comes to a golf GPS. Good luck in your endevors.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

[quote name='sheppy335' timestamp='1443645264' post='12392080']
It is unfortunate that you had these issues, i have been lucky to have my SGX for over 5 years and it is still going strong. Mine is also out of warrenty but i do not mind having to pay a subscription fee. Like any product after the warrenty is up they will charge you fees to fix things, it is the nature of the beast. I think it is great they discounted it for you but if you are unhappy with it and the subscription fee no one is stopping you from going to a different device. I could see if you just purchased it, then i would agree with you.

We are free to pick what ever company we want to buy from when it comes to a golf GPS. Good luck in your endevors.
[/quote]I agree with you as I have had great luck with Skygolf and do not mind tha annual fee. I grew up in Pgh. And there are a lot of great courses up there. Cranberry Highlands,Links at Spring Church, are 2 of my favorites up there.

I live close to Birdsfoot, i do like Cranberry and Links at Spring church.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1443575827' post='12387634']
Since it is out of warranty, why don't you replace the battery yourself? You have nothing to risk.

A quick Google search for "sgxw battery" yielded this for example, along with numerous other battery supplier options. If you can figure out how to open the unit then this is probably an easy DIY project for <$20.

[url="http://www.batteryclerk.com/store/p/82894-SkyGolf-SkyCaddie-SGXw-SkyCaddie-SGX-W-SkyCaddie-SGX-SkyCad-Battery.html?cat=GPS&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=54331&gclid=CP3zmLTJncgCFQwYHwod584HYg"]http://www.batterycl...CFQwYHwod584HYg[/url]

[/quote] I had already ordered a battery to replace it myself. More disappointed about the lack of quality in Skygolf's equipment and their unwillingness to stand behind their products.

'17 Select Newport 2 34"

'18 Select Newport 3 34"
Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='sheppy335' timestamp='1443645264' post='12392080']

[/quote] I agree totally. But when both devices fail within 2 years of purchase? The strongest tool consumers have is their business. Unfortunately, Skygolf is losing a customer. I am going to repair my device and sell it.

'17 Select Newport 2 34"

'18 Select Newport 3 34"
Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1443642992' post='12391882']
Batteries go bad over time. It's a fact of life. I got 2 years out of my Samsung smartphone battery, and it needed replacing. Luckily, the device had a swappable battery.

Don't see how they're responsible. It's not like it was one day after the warranty expired. I've used their replacement service twice. Given that used device go for roughly $100 on Ebay, I don't think a $90 charge for a refurbished one is a bad deal.

I agree with Andy. Replace the battery yourself. You've got nothing to lose at this point.

If we're going to kvetch, it should be directed at the [b]entire consumer electronics industry[/b] for collectively moving away from user-replaceable batteries. My next phone will be a Note 4, which is an older model, because it's the last model with a removable battery.
[/quote] I understand that batteries go bad, but after 30-40 rounds over a two year period? I will be replacing the battery myself and selling the device. If they would stand behind their equipment, I would have no issues with Skygolf. However, when you combine the equipment issues with yearly subscriptions, I will elect to move on.

'17 Select Newport 2 34"

'18 Select Newport 3 34"
Titleist ProV1x

[quote name='cmmgolflab' timestamp='1443802231' post='12400722']

[/quote] I understand that batteries go bad, but after 30-40 rounds over a two year period? I will be replacing the battery myself and selling the device. If they would stand behind their equipment, I would have no issues with Skygolf. However, when you combine the equipment issues with yearly subscriptions, I will elect to move on.
[/quote]

Lithium ion batteries can run down after a couple of years, it really depends on the care and storage. You should recharge it after each use to full charge and unplug it when its done charging, dont leave it plugged in for extended periods when its done charging (like leaving it plugged in overnight or several days). If you aren't going to use it for a while (like in winter months if you aren't in a warmer area) it's best to store them at about half charge and also do not expose them to extreme hot or cold like leaving it in the car in the summer or in a garage over the winter. But again, if the only issue was the battery after two years, I don't think any company is going to just replace it for free if that is your beef.

Company is a joke! I tried their new touch for 28 days and what a crap it turned out to be. I also have their older models that sits and collects dust. SGX and few older models. I cannot support company that doesn't stand behind their product nor care for their customers.

As for other device, I generally use laser (buchnell z6) and my golf buddy voice plus. If I play new course, I use Golfshot or FunGolf. If I'm in a tournament, I use my Garmin 6.

BTW, when I made a minor complaint to Garmin about their GPS doesn't come with a carrying case, they sent me one for free. Garmin is class act company that knows how to please their customers.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

[quote name='LAslicer' timestamp='1443806636' post='12401118']
[quote name='cmmgolflab' timestamp='1443802231' post='12400722']

[/quote]

Lithium ion batteries can run down after a couple of years, it really depends on the care and storage. You should recharge it after each use to full charge and unplug it when its done charging, dont leave it plugged in for extended periods when its done charging (like leaving it plugged in overnight or several days). If you aren't going to use it for a while (like in winter months if you aren't in a warmer area) it's best to store them at about half charge and also do not expose them to extreme hot or cold like leaving it in the car in the summer or in a garage over the winter. But again, if the only issue was the battery after two years, I don't think any company is going to just replace it for free if that is your beef.
[/quote]

Little off the subject. I leave my GolfBuddy voice plus plugged in the cargo compartment of my SUV after each round and leave it there through out the year. It's been about 4 years and still running strong. No issues whatsoever with battery or the unit. Never had any issues with my Garmin units. They all still work and no battery issues. I also leave my garmin 6 in the SUV often on the charger. No issues and it's been about 4 years.

SkyGolf puts out many faulty units. Don't even get me started about their crap software updates. LOL

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

My SGx is several years old and about 1.5-2 years ago I was having the battery issue you discussed where it was not making it through a round. I always charge mine through the computer (sync it after the round and then let it charge). I decided to charge it using the ac adapter that came with it. I let it charge and left it overnight. The next round it made it through the round. I charged it again using the ac adapter. Made it through the round. Used the adapter a third time and got the same result. I then did the next charge on my computer and got a full round in no issues. I have been able to sync and charge on my computer with out issue since. Not sure if I wasn't get a good cycle charge and the use of the adapter helped or if I got lucky but my SGx is still on its original battery and I play 1x per week. I use the ac adapter every now and then and seem to have no issues. May want to give it a shot.

Had an SGx for a few years and thought it was fine. Lost it earlier this year and replaced with Approach G6 which also works well with no fees. It is smaller than the SGx which I like.
If you are playing familiar courses and only need front/center/back yardages the Garmin S1 is inexpensive, easy to use and works fine.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I still use the 2.5. I bought it used on ebay about 2 years ago and it still works great. I get about 2 rounds out of it. I used to get a little more out of it, but I understand batteries do not last forever. I tried one of the newer models with the color screen, but went right back to the 2.5. Sometimes simpler is better.

I'm not sure how anyone can expect a company to warranty a battery powered device that is subjected to weather conditions (including rain) for more than 2 years. You got a refurbished device for $60 and it lasted 2 years, and you are pissed about that? Nothing lasts forever.

Spend $20 and put a new battery in it.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1443963416' post='12408146']
I still use the 2.5. I bought it used on ebay about 2 years ago and it still works great. I get about 2 rounds out of it. I used to get a little more out of it, but I understand batteries do not last forever. I tried one of the newer models with the color screen, but went right back to the 2.5. Sometimes simpler is better.

I'm not sure how anyone can expect a company to warranty a battery powered device that is subjected to weather conditions (including rain) for more than 2 years. You got a refurbished device for $60 and it lasted 2 years, and you are pissed about that? Nothing lasts forever.

Spend $20 and put a new battery in it.
[/quote]

Hot Rod, I have a 2.5 on the shelf since I bought my NEO this Spring. If you'd like, let me know if you need another one and we'll do a quick trade for something.
+1 on its simplicity.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 2 weeks later...

Had my SG5 since 2010,
it's been chewed by my dog and dropped countless times, software updates in early days were shocking,, but now it continues to perform perfectly.. original battery, still get 2- 3 rounds no problem... but.......

Each year it eats me that I have to pay £30/ $45 to renew a license.. keep thinking money is better spent putting to a new non subscription GPS device.. I've had the Z6 laser since they come out and use it to shoot yardages approx 160 and below.. but use the GPS on unfamiliar courses for hazards/bunkers.

Subscription ran out last week and I'm torn between renewing and going with the Garmin G6/7 or just paying the sub fee for another year.. those who have gone to the Garmin 6/7, do you think it was worth the change if you already had a working unit? if so why...

thanks
J.
(OP, sorry if hijacking thread a little, but along same lines)

[quote name='Jens0n' timestamp='1444660548' post='12445160']
Had my SG5 since 2010,
it's been chewed by my dog and dropped countless times, software updates in early days were shocking,, but now it continues to perform perfectly.. original battery, still get 2- 3 rounds no problem... but.......

Each year it eats me that I have to pay £30/ $45 to renew a license.. keep thinking money is better spent putting to a new non subscription GPS device.. I've had the Z6 laser since they come out and use it to shoot yardages approx 160 and below.. but use the GPS on unfamiliar courses for hazards/bunkers.

Subscription ran out last week and I'm torn between renewing and going with the Garmin G6/7 or just paying the sub fee for another year.. those who have gone to the Garmin 6/7, do you think it was worth the change if you already had a working unit? if so why...

thanks
J.
[/quote]

I felt the exact same way regarding the annual fee so I bought a GPS watch this Spring (Neo X) and have been very happy with it.

Yeah, the annual fee aggravated me every year. Now I don't have to load new courses as they're already loaded on the watch. Luv'n it!

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Had my SG5 since 2010,

thanks
J.
[/quote]

How many rounds do you play a year? How many new courses do you visit? How much money do you spend a year playing golf?

I'll play 100 rounds this season on over 60 different courses, 40+ being first visits. When I add up all the associated costs including greens fees, travel expenses, equipment, food, etc., I figure I spend close to $10K a year on golf. The SG subscription fee is the least of my concerns. Having professionally mapped courses with updates is worth the cost for me.

Now, if one more or less plays the same courses all the time, then it's probably not worth it.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I have the SG5 and SGX. Both worth great and last for at least 54 holes. They had a subscription special earlier this year where you could get 3 years for something like $65, so I jumped on that. Overall, I actually like the SG5 better than the SGX, but the SGX has some nice features. After the subscription runs out I'll probably look into a Garmin G series.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1444664235' post='12445442']
Had my SG5 since 2010,

thanks
J.
[/quote]

How many rounds do you play a year? How many new courses do you visit? How much money do you spend a year playing golf?

I'll play 100 rounds this season on over 60 different courses, 40+ being first visits. When I add up all the associated costs including greens fees, travel expenses, equipment, food, etc., I figure I spend close to $10K a year on golf. The SG subscription fee is the least of my concerns. Having professionally mapped courses with updates is worth the cost for me.

Now, if one more or less plays the same courses all the time, then it's probably not worth it.
[/quote]

Hey Argonne69

congrats on your health, wealth and lifestyle...
I'm a few hundred leagues behind you, maybe play 4 or 5 new courses each year, but like to enjoy them being mapped out in front of me none the less.

Fortunately the $45 for subscription or $250 for a new device won't break the bank, but as much as I like a new toy, don't want to spend the delta without some form of understanding of what it gives me..

The repeat subscription on old tech grates me , but having said that, it does what it's supposed to... why spend the extra cash..

Happy Golfing..
J

[quote name='cmmgolflab' timestamp='1443801811' post='12400680']

[url="http://www.batteryclerk.com/store/p/82894-SkyGolf-SkyCaddie-SGXw-SkyCaddie-SGX-W-SkyCaddie-SGX-SkyCad-Battery.html?cat=GPS&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=54331&gclid=CP3zmLTJncgCFQwYHwod584HYg"]http://www.batterycl...CFQwYHwod584HYg[/url]

[/quote] I had already ordered a battery to replace it myself. More disappointed about the lack of quality in Skygolf's equipment and their unwillingness to stand behind their products.
[/quote]

If it is out of warranty, why should they have to replace it? I don't own any SC because I hate their business model of fees, but I can't blame a company for not giving something away if it isn't part of a warranty policy. I think it is crazy that most electronics are only covered for a year, but that is what the companies seem to be able to get away with these days.

[quote name='wundej' timestamp='1444876535' post='12458150']

[/quote]

If it is out of warranty, why should they have to replace it? I don't own any SC because I hate their business model of fees, but I can't blame a company for not giving something away if it isn't part of a warranty policy. I think it is crazy that most electronics are only covered for a year, but that is what the companies seem to be able to get away with these days.
[/quote]

Can someone please name me a single company that offers more than a year of warranty on an electronic device that it intended to be used outdoors? iPhone? 1 year limited warranty. Garmin G5? 1 year.

They get away with it because these types of devices get abused like he**. We're not talking about a rack-mounted piece of home theater equipment that sits indoors in a well vented equipment rack.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1444920553' post='12459818']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Can someone please name me a single company that offers more than a year of warranty on an electronic device that it intended to be used outdoors? iPhone? 1 year limited warranty. Garmin G5? 1 year.

They get away with it because these types of devices get abused like he**. We're not talking about a rack-mounted piece of home theater equipment that sits indoors in a well vented equipment rack.
[/quote]

And most of the home theater equipment has a one year warranty unless you buy the audiophile line. The warranty is different between Sony and Pioneer lines vs. the Sony ES and Pioneer Elite lines. Also much of the electronics using lithium ion batteries is sealed because of fire risk of people replacing the batteries with poorly made, cheap batteries from China. I remember Motorola getting sued (and believe lost) because because the RAZR caught fire when people replaced the battery with a cheap non-Motorola battery.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1444925775' post='12460236']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1444920553' post='12459818']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And most of the home theater equipment has a one year warranty unless you buy the audiophile line. The warranty is different between Sony and Pioneer lines vs. the Sony ES and Pioneer Elite lines. Also much of the electronics using lithium ion batteries is sealed because of fire risk of people replacing the batteries with poorly made, cheap batteries from China. I remember Motorola getting sued (and believe lost) because because the RAZR caught fire when people replaced the battery with a cheap non-Motorola battery.
[/quote]

There are plenty of devices with replaceable LI batteries, so I have to believe that the risk of being sued is not really the reason they seal the cases. They do so because they know the life of a battery is limited, and they can sell another device in a few years because the battery has faded. With user replaceable batteries, a working device can last for years with a new battery.

My old Samsung Epic smartphone had a replaceable battery, and the a**wipes at Samsung decided they needed a popup to display when the battery was fully charged. Yeah, like that little warning was going to do much good in the rare case where the phone caught fire.

Basically, what do you call a person who graduates last in his law school? A lawyer.