Anyone Still Gaming an Older/Ancient Driver

StuartRS

I have 3 R7 Quads that I have used for several years. Also liked the 983k and 905s.

I went to an AeroBurner this past summer and found that I did hit some longer drives with it. It feels much different and launches much higher. I still think the R7 feels more controllable to me, and am thinking about going back to it.

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

[quote name='Illest' timestamp='1451745821' post='12791762']
Does the 910 count? Just ordered another 910 head too...
[/quote]

If your 'shunning' bang-up-to-date technology for an old favourite..............its all good with me ;-)

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Just picked up a R510 (non TP) for 20$ at the local range. It had been sitting in the rack there for about 6 months.
M.A.S. 75 shaft in stiff. Needs a new grip, but otherwise in good shape.
I'm trying to talk my dad out of an FT-9 he has but doesn't use....

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I am currently gaming a Titleist 905s 8.5* with stock Grafalloy Blue and it's my favorite driver in terms of accuracy and feel, and importantly, DISTANCE. I bought it for cheap, thinking of pulling the shaft and putting it in my R11s head, and I hit the Titleist to test out, to see if I could handle such a boardy shaft. I was always intimidated to try this shaft, and read that so many people say that the blue is way too stiff. I don't know why, but with the head design being a bore-thru, I love this driver! the shaft feels great and I never have to worry about timing, the clubface arrives to the ball when I do on the downswing and I have had the best season driving the ball in 2015. I am coming from an R11s 9* with an AD DI6x TP shaft that was too loud and ballooned in the air. I forgot to mention how the sound of the 905s is not loud, but gives a muffled, pleasant sound. If I break this, I wonder what newer combination will give me similar results.

Titleist 905S 400cc (love the small head)
8.5* (always played 10.5 and above)
Grafalloy Blue stiff in bore-thru 45" (didn't think I could handle this)
Golf Pride Tour Wrap (used to hate this grip, now love it, helps me control the clubface)
3g of lead tape for D4 sw (I do prefer heavy clubs for feel)

There is nothing about this club that I should like, given my preconceived notions. However, after hitting on the range, and adding lead tape for feel, I have never driven the golf ball better and with better distance than before. I will keep gaming this until I find something better!

Still can't find anything I hit better than my 983k. And that's not for any lack of trying. Other drivers seem promising on the sim or range, but never come through on the course in actual play.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

[quote name='D-rok' timestamp='1451751987' post='12792150']
There is nothing about this club that I should like, given my preconceived notions. However, after hitting on the range, and adding lead tape for feel, I have never driven the golf ball better and with better distance than before. I will keep gaming this until I find something better!
[/quote]

Funny how that works sometimes. I bought a driver off eBay with an 80 gram shaft I was going to pull for my 3W and hit it for the heck of it. Turned out I hit the driver as long as my usual drivers with lighter shafts. Like you said, it should not have fit me on paper, but it worked out on the course.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Well, it's not a driver but I stiff have my Rapture V1 fairway metal in the bag. Put a Blueboard in it several years ago and it's been real nice for me. I've tried dozens of fairway metals since and just can't justify the change. I've hit some real good shots with that club and it's just as good off the deck as it is off a peg.

Many guys are still playing drivers that are up to 5 years old, but me and a buddy of mine are still playing a driver that is thought to be one of the worst EVER, and also the biggest dud by the company that brought it out.......the CALLAWAY C4! It came out in 2001, and I actually bought one new. (still have the receipt for $649 Canadian - what a price!?!? Wow!) I used it for 2 weeks with great success, but traded it in once I heard the bad reviews and that it was going to be a total dud! Now I likely have the biggest Callaway C4 collection in the world, and bought most of them on eBay for under $50! I have 12 of them, and all in MINT condition. Lofts vary from 7* all the way to 14*, with one being a one-of-a-kind European Prototype 9* driver that was never played, and the 7* mentioned above is a Tour Issue head from the LPGA Tour with a Fujikura-SIX shaft in R-Flex that cycles in as Stiff. To be honest, the C4 @ 360cc is quite a forgiving driver. And, it is very long because the lighter overall weight helps you generate more clubhead speed, plus....the C4 is a very low spinning head, so a "boring" ball flight is the norm with the C4. The stock shaft has a .410 tip, so it adds a lot of stability (accuracy) on off centre hits, similar to Wilson's "fat shaft" technology. I even sent two of my 10* heads back to Callaway to have them re-shafted with the Fujikura Motore F1 & F3 shafts, and they turned out amazing. For my buddy, he gained distance (likely due to increased roll) and liked the feel much more over the TM Burner (460cc) that he was using. Plus....in all our use of the C4 heads, we have yet to have one fail! Likely one of the most durable heads of all time, unlike many titanium heads that crack or cave in. All the work Callaway did on the C4 in terms of R & D and testing was worthwhile. (The report I read was that the C4 head was tested with 5000 hits @ 120 mph without EVER failing). If you can get over the sound, it is an AMAZINGLY driver that will last a long time. Yes....it's not as forgiving as some of the most forgiving drivers out today, like the PING G30.....but the forgiveness of the C4 will surprise you. It truly is a great driver. If you come across one....don't be afraid to try it. You may be surprised!

• Like 1

I'm still playing a Tommy Armour Forged Persimmon driver. I haven't found anything in a newer driver that gives me the feel that this driver has. Everything else I have tried is very clicky and metallic.

• Like 1

2016 Taylormade M2 9.5* w/Fujikura Pro 60 stiff
Titleist 917 F3 Mitsubishi Diamana D+ 80 stiff
Callaway RazrX Tour stock shaft stiff/Mizuno MP-30 2 iron with Rifle 6.0 shaft
Bridgestone J 40DPC w/Aerotech Steelfibers 95 r
50* Bridgestone J 15 wedges with Nippon Pro Modus3 125, 54*,58* Titleist Vokey wedges
Odessey White Hot #5

[quote name='Meurig' timestamp='1451791356' post='12794486']
Adams Speedline and Speedline 9032LS with HTD 65X. I still keep trying the new kit but nothing beats these for me!
[/quote]

I picked up a black Speedline S a few days ago, just took it to the range. My god that thing is good - so forgiving. Heel shots stay reasonably straight and toe hits seem to draw back on line somehow! Not sure on the distance I hit with it yet as it was a cold and wet day today and the range I use has proper sh*t balls, but it's looking like the Adams will replace my Aeroburner Mini in the bag. Very, very impressed. The velocity slot works man!

With the restrictions on COR and clubhead size, any technology-based advances in distance are limited.

As a result of these COR/size restrictions, one could argue that driver clubheads can only become more forgiving.

In the continued presence of these clubhead restrictions, improvements in driver distance can only come from advances in shaft technology, fit, and practice.

I believe the COR restriction was implemented in 1998 and the 460cc clubhead size limitation was introduced in 2004.

Therefore it is possible that improvements in driver distance over (up to) the last 10 years have not come from improvements in clubhead technology.

That being said, I play an original Ping Rapture 12 degree with a MB Diamana BB and can't imagine playing anything else. The clubhead loft and the shaft are an incredible combination (for me) and I buy this club whenever I find one on ebay (I own 5 of them, average cost <$75).

I think the original Rapture came out in 2007 or 2008, so while I have demoed other drivers, none have offered any meaningful improvement.

I guess this means I have been out of the driver market for over 7 years.

Does anyone honestly feel any of the newer stuff is any better than the post 2004 stuff?

With the money I save by not buying new (but not better) equipment, I go to Bandon every year and play all the courses. My caddie there (whom I have used for over 10 years) still marvels how my bag never changes (but how my game has improved).

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

My Nike Vr tour is golden. There's a reason Tiger and Schwartzel played it forever

Taylormade Aeroburner TP 9.5 Fujikura 8.3 Tour Spec X
Adams Super LSP Aldila VS Proto 95X
Nike VR PC 3 iron Project X 7.0
Taylormade Rac MB Tour Issue X-100 Ryder Cup 4-9
Vokey Sm6 46* Project X 7.0
Fourteen Le-10 52, 56, S400
Vokey Sm5 59* M Grind Tour Issue S400
Never Compromise Voodoo 42.25 "Garage build Armlock"
Volvik S3 Orange / Vivid Red Golf Balls / Volvik Vibe Yellow

Callaway Razr fit 8,5/ Fubuki k70x. I got this just because it had a nice fubuki a70x that I was after. CPO shipped it to me within a week to South Africa, I pulled the shaft & torqued it to my Razr fit xtreme & off I went. A few weeks later and still struggling to keep the RFE straight I looked at this Razr Fit &'decided to go to the range. I tried it with 5 different shafts & fell in love with the fubuki k/70 combo. I hit this driver longer & straighter than anything else, so much so that I have sold the RFX driver & have actually bought a dbd/rouge combo but I've had it for 4 months & it has not knocked the Razr Fit out

Many guys are still playing drivers that are up to 5 years old, but me and a buddy of mine are still playing a driver that is thought to be one of the worst EVER, and also the biggest dud by the company that brought it out.......the CALLAWAY C4! It came out in 2001, and I actually bought one new. (still have the receipt for $649 Canadian - what a price!?!? Wow!) I used it for 2 weeks with great success, but traded it in once I heard the bad reviews and that it was going to be a total dud! Now I likely have the biggest Callaway C4 collection in the world, and bought most of them on eBay for under $50! I have 12 of them, and all in MINT condition. Lofts vary from 7* all the way to 14*, with one being a one-of-a-kind European Prototype 9* driver that was never played, and the 7* mentioned above is a Tour Issue head from the LPGA Tour with a Fujikura-SIX shaft in R-Flex that cycles in as Stiff. To be honest, the C4 @ 360cc is quite a forgiving driver. And, it is very long because the lighter overall weight helps you generate more clubhead speed, plus....the C4 is a very low spinning head, so a "boring" ball flight is the norm with the C4. The stock shaft has a .410 tip, so it adds a lot of stability (accuracy) on off centre hits, similar to Wilson's "fat shaft" technology. I even sent two of my 10* heads back to Callaway to have them re-shafted with the Fujikura Motore F1 & F3 shafts, and they turned out amazing. For my buddy, he gained distance (likely due to increased roll) and liked the feel much more over the TM Burner (460cc) that he was using. Plus....in all our use of the C4 heads, we have yet to have one fail! Likely one of the most durable heads of all time, unlike many titanium heads that crack or cave in. All the work Callaway did on the C4 in terms of R & D and testing was worthwhile. (The report I read was that the C4 head was tested with 5000 hits @ 120 mph without EVER failing). If you can get over the sound, it is an AMAZINGLY driver that will last a long time. Yes....it's not as forgiving as some of the most forgiving drivers out today, like the PING G30.....but the forgiveness of the C4 will surprise you. It truly is a great driver. If you come across one....don't be afraid to try it. You may be surprised!

Before I started gaming the original Ping Rapture, I also played the C4. It is a great driver!

I loved the sound of this driver and I have three of them (10 and 11 degree, plus my wife has a 12 degree).

Unfortunately, I have become a stronger player since I originally bought these and I am afraid to reshaft them due to the all carbon fiber heads.

The C4 is another reason to play old drivers.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

I play a Bombtech Grenade which is the best I've ever played. It wasn't so long ago I was playing the old Titleist 975J until I broke the shaft and didn't want to pay $100+ for a shaft when the Grenade was $200ish.

On the otherside I'm a huge proponent of older clubs, my Hogan CFT Apex Edge's, Wilson Staff Fybrid, and Hogan P-SI putter are very old and nothing beats them that's out there right now. Post 2000 not a whole lot of improvement in clubs IMO. ‎

<p>Bombtech Grenade 10.5 degree Matrix Radix S
Walter Hagen 3iron HybridBen Hogan CFT Edge 4-EW S300
Ping Eye 2 PW 50.5
Tru-roll Brass Center Shaft</p>