2016-2017 NFL Thread

highergr0und

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw the Falcons using up their timeouts like they didn't need it, all out with more than 15 minutes of football left, I knew it would come back to haunt them. And then Brady gets the ball at the end with a chance to tie it up....ever notice he always has the ball at the end of the game? It ain't a coincidence. That's what hall of fame coaching and time management from Belichick does. Incredible.

Biggest choke in NFL history?

That is true because Pats completed best comeback in history

Easily...

Why were the falcons passing up 8 with 4 minutes left on 2nd down in pretty easy FG range... with a good kicker...

That play call where Ryan got sacked will be questioned for a long time. Run the ball, make the pats burn their timeouts, and attempt a 35ish yard FG with one of the best kickers in the NFL... should have been game over right there

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Easily...

Why were the falcons passing up 8 with 4 minutes left on 2nd down in pretty easy FG range... with a good kicker...

That play call where Ryan got sacked will be questioned for a long time. Run the ball, make the pats burn their timeouts, and attempt a 35ish yard FG with one of the best kickers in the NFL... should have been game over right there

That was the play of the game. Just can't take the sack there.

Props to James White, he was the best player on the field tonight IMO, sets a SB record for catches 14 for 110, 3 td's, and a 2 pt conversion.....He brought it tonight....He was a lot of fun to watch when he played at Wisconsin and there are a lot of proud Badger fans tonight.

The crowd booing God dell was fantastic and Krafts comments to follow God dells were brief and to the point, he didn't need to say much, but he said enough. Fitting!

Easily...

That was the play of the game. Just can't take the sack there.

Teams that are up tempo and prolific passing the ball have a hard time being conservative when they need it, that's coaching IMO....Play for the FG and work the clock. Re Ryan taking the sack, easier said then done, the play call put him in that situation, and once the defender was on him, there was nothing he could do but get sacked, unless ground it or throw it up for grabs. That followed by the holding killed the momentum....Either play or both were suited for run plays. Falcons defense was taken to the woodshed in the second half, Brady made a lot of really good throws, the one that sticks out was the 3rd and long to Hogan on the last drive in regulation, when they were inside their own 10, but he had a handful like that.

As an in the blood Pats fan, well played Atlanta. They did what they had to do to keep pressure on Tom, and that was one of the keys to winning. But I have to say it was the consecutive 3rd down penalties that put the life back in the Pats, and then the turnover. THat plays into the Pats hands, especially in the 2nd half.

I had a whole bunch of memes ready to go if the pats had won the game handidly, but I will show respect where it's due. You came out 1st half pounding away, and it looked dire. But the Pats... they know how to make adjustments in the 2nd half. And they did, and a little bit of lock go them the win.

It was a good game, but you gotta play 60(+).

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I'm not gonna lie, I had a little bit of water in my eyes. This franchise has brought me so much happiness throughout my entire life.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

It's been pointed out that Atlanta should have just run the ball in the 4th qtr when they were up by 8 and in FG range. Probably true - hindsight gives us great perspective. But, the bigger picture, rather than 1 or 2 plays, is what the Atlanta coaches failed to take into account. The Patriots ran 93 plays vs 46. ToP: NE 40 Atl 23. Throughout the 2nd half, the Falcons needed to do a better job of keeping the ball out of Brady's hands. Their pass rush, which had done a terrific job for 3 qtrs, was tired (as was the secondary), and Brady had time to set his feet and throw. That 4 man rush just wasn't putting heat on him any more.

I was impressed with Shanahan's play design and play calling throughout the playoffs, but he needed to do more than string together a series of plays vs Belichick and Brady.

A bunch of small things last night that will probably go unnoticed too - and IMO were just bad coaching. For example, why was the Atlanta offense snapping the ball with 15+ seconds on the play clock? I couldn't get over that. Passing or not, why wasn't Shanahan screaming in his ear the first time he did it? I was dumbfounded by that.

Could debate forever if Atlanta gave it away or if NE won it. If it was a game where Atlanta was say up 3 and had the ball late and gave it away on a stupid turnover that NE ran back - thats giving it away. But to be down 25 with 8 minutes to go in the 3rd and score 31 unanswered - and have your D completely step up in the 2nd half - thats no fluke.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

A bunch of small things last night that will probably go unnoticed too - and IMO were just bad coaching. For example, why was the Atlanta offense snapping the ball with 15+ seconds on the play clock? I couldn't get over that. Passing or not, why wasn't Shanahan screaming in his ear the first time he did it? I was dumbfounded by that.

Could debate forever if Atlanta gave it away or if NE won it. If it was a game where Atlanta was say up 3 and had the ball late and gave it away on a stupid turnover that NE ran back - thats giving it away. But to be down 25 with 8 minutes to go in the 3rd and score 31 unanswered - and have your D completely step up in the 2nd half - thats no fluke.

Good points, DC!

You mods need 'Like' buttons.

It's been pointed out that Atlanta should have just run the ball in the 4th qtr when they were up by 8 and in FG range. Probably true - hindsight gives us great perspective. But, the bigger picture, rather than 1 or 2 plays, is what the Atlanta coaches failed to take into account. The Patriots ran 93 plays vs 46. ToP: NE 40 Atl 23. Throughout the 2nd half, the Falcons needed to do a better job of keeping the ball out of Brady's hands. Their pass rush, which had done a terrific job for 3 qtrs, was tired (as was the secondary), and Brady had time to set his feet and throw. That 4 man rush just wasn't putting heat on him any more.

I was impressed with Shanahan's play design and play calling throughout the playoffs, but he needed to do more than string together a series of plays vs Belichick and Brady.

Near the end of the 3rd most of the 4th, the Falcons switched to the 3 man rush. WHY? The 4 man was what was working! Fools.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Near the end of the 3rd most of the 4th, the Falcons switched to the 3 man rush. WHY? The 4 man was what was working! Fools.

--kC

I just looked at 3rd and 4th quarter and OT highlights. Atlanta was using 4 man rush >75% of the time (of highlight plays, 4-6 plays/drive), and they occassionally sent a LB. It may have only looked like a 3 man rush, lol - those guys were gassed.

3rd qtr starts at 9:45.

...and that's why he's going to SF!!! haha

-

MAN i was actually bored/in shock in the first half. it looked liked Atlanta was going to run them out the stadium. it was a crazy and the best super bowl game ever. no doubt Tommy is the greatest EVER.

#goCowboys

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Make sure you say "evah" in a Bostonian accent.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

It's pretty simple to determine Shanahan blew it and everyone just sat their and let him do so. You only need to consider two things.

1. He's up by 25 and he fails to put and keep the ball on the ground. (some short short routes obviously can be mixed in but why would you go downfield and even risk being sacked?)

2. The Falcons are in field goal range and most likely a field goal will cinch the game. In this situation he should have either run the ball and kept the clock running or taken a knee twice to force the Pat's to eat up their time outs. Even if you miss the field goal you are much better off this way.

It's pretty simple to determine Shanahan blew it and everyone just sat their and let him do so. You only need to consider two things.

1. He's up by 25 and he fails to put and keep the ball on the ground. (some short short routes obviously can be mixed in but why would you go downfield and even risk being sacked?)

2. The Falcons are in field goal range and most likely a field goal will cinch the game. In this situation he should have either run the ball and kept the clock running or taken a knee twice to force the Pat's to eat up their time outs. Even if you miss the field goal you are much better off this way.

After Julio Jones made that out of this world catch, it should have been over. Burn some time with running plays, kick the field goal, done.

They got a bad break on the missed facemasking call, but it really shouldn't have come to that.

As an in the blood Pats fan, well played Atlanta. They did what they had to do to keep pressure on Tom, and that was one of the keys to winning. But I have to say it was the consecutive 3rd down penalties that put the life back in the Pats, and then the turnover. THat plays into the Pats hands, especially in the 2nd half.

I had a whole bunch of memes ready to go if the pats had won the game handidly, but I will show respect where it's due. You came out 1st half pounding away, and it looked dire. But the Pats... they know how to make adjustments in the 2nd half. And they did, and a little bit of lock go them the win.

It was a good game, but you gotta play 60(+).

--kC

To quote Louis Riddick of ESPN in the days before the Super Bowl.

"When you play the Patriots you better be ready to go full on for 3 1/2 hours."

FWIW, Patriots 33 Falcons 28

How bout dat?!

That makes you a winner in TWO NFL related threads regarding the Super Bowl.

Hurry drive to AC and hit the tables while you are still HOT!

Crab be smokin' the bettors window with winning tickets.

He is buying boys....bushels of steamed Maryland Blues, and shots of Lord Calvert. All right.

Brady had a commercial ready to go if/when they won.

A little slap at Roger G. too.

it's worth 30 seconds of your time.