Which PGA Tour players are cool off the course? Which aren't?

longshot300

Funny, after playing for a bit, there were guys I believed were complete prigs.

Also thought positively of a lot of players, including some that often are talked about unfavorably.

I KNOW there are guys who think I'm a dick, and some who are friends.

It's no different than any group of people. Catch a guy on a tough day, and the best guy in the world looks like a toolbag.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strike Clarke and Donald off the cool list. Both in love with their own egos is the feedback from a player on the Euro Tour.

Lon Hinkle and Fulton Allem.
Fultom Allem the slowest rythym in golf.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Guys who made good impressions on me (this is totally in passing at a tournament - PGA 2013):

Spieth, Justin Rose, Ryan Moore, Stenson (I think he has a big temper, but he has a good sense of humor too)

Guys who made a not so great impression:

Tom Watson. Two teenage kids asked him for an autograph. There was nobody, and I mean NOBODY around (this was during a practice round). He did not sign. He told him he'd "catch them later" and kept on walking, but we followed him and I don't think he ever did. I was pretty stunned he couldn't take 10 seconds to sign for them. And I'm not kidding - it was literally two people - he was playing alone walking from tee to green. It was early so there was nobody following him.

Of course this story does not make the man, and maybe he did catch up to them later, but I found it really, really odd.

thats Tom,s Policy. He always signs later. On the course or range he is there to work. Remember he was an elite elite player.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I followed Tommy Gainey at Quail Hollow one year. On a par five he hits it in the left rough, which was quite thick and sticky. He walks up to his ball which is about 5' from the ropes and starts looking at it. He then turns in my direction and begins addressing the gallery. "That's a pretty tough lie right there. I'd like to go for the green, but I'm not sure I can dig it out with a hybrid (he was ~230 out). What do ya'll think? Should I go for it? We all look at each other, not knowing what to say. He finally said something like "I guess I'll give it a shot - what's the worst thing that could happen?" or something to that effect. He rips the hybrid and knocks it up close to the green and said "well, that wasn't too bad I guess. Thank ya'll, have a nice day" and walked down the fairway. His comments were genuine and in no way a "let me show you what I can do". He is truly an every-man on the tour.

Another at that same tournament I followed was Paul Goydos - another every-man on tour. He was wearing his Long Beach Dirtbags hat. He is a cool as they come and often talked to the gallery. He hit his approach shot into a bunker on a par four. When he approached he saw it was not pretty - a tough down hill lie to a close pin. He turned to the gallery and said "one of you may have to come hit this shot for me, because I'm not sure I can do it.... I'm not sure I want to". Everyone laughed, including the other two players and caddies in his group. He got it out but missed his 10' par putt.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

They have lots of big womens events out here in Oz and the girl with the best reputation for being cool off the course is Laura Davies. Apparently very down to earth and loves a drink and watching and playing cricket, which makes her fit right in here. Craig Parry has always had a reputation for being a great guy off the course too.

Craig Parry has always had a reputation for being a great guy off the course too.

I drew Craig in a Pro/Am in '91 the year before he knocked on the door at the Masters and I believe the US Open with Top-5's-

Just a super nice, sincere Gentleman-

He approached myself and another in our group after the second hole and said that he hoped that we didn't think that he was ignoring us however the other two guys seemed to need more "pearls," lol.

I mean, WhoTF does that?

Answer: No one else that I've ever Played with.

Just a Class Gentleman!!

Have a Blessed Easter Bro :)

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I realize that these guys are working when inside the ropes but they seem to love the limelight and attention when it suits them,can you have it both ways ?yes mike weir d bag

Haven't met mike but I've heard the same, with him and Ames we haven't really got the greatest ambassadors although Steven has grown on me every time I've met him. Atleast Deleat seems like a beauty.

I forgot this but my dad met Eldrick at a kinda corporate, few day, teaching seminar probably around '05. Dad wasn't really a Tiger fan before hand but after meeting him and getting to hangout with him he started to like him.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Of the ones I've met, most are pretty "cool" guys. It also depends where and how you meet them.

When you meet them at a fundraiser, they're probably not as cool as when you hang out at a college football tailgate.

I've only met a few completely OFF the golf course and away from a Pro-Am or formal event, etc. Brant Snedeker, Jason Dufner, Brooks Koepka, Smylie Kaufman, Justin Thomas are all pretty "normal/cool" guys.

A few years back I ran into Steve Stricker in the line at Mother's in New Orleans (it was the week of the Zurich). I think I was the only person in line who had a clue who he was. I introduced myself and wished him luck. He said thanks and asked if I had any recommendations on what to get. I told him my go to was a regular Ferdi Special, but that if this was his first time he should get a small and a side of gumbo or red beans and rice. We talked for maybe another 5 minutes in line while waiting, mostly about restaurants in and around New Orleans. He seemed like a pretty cool guy in that brief interaction.

I've played golf a few times with Chris Riley and met Jason Dufner. Riley is a goofy guy. He can be funny, but can be a little grating too. Dufner takes a while to get going, but once he does he's very laid back and fun to be around.

The "king". Impressed by his love of mankind and how he treats people.

Phil I can't believe it's not butter Mickelson, always nods to acknowledge fans, smiles and say's "hi"

I tend to mentally dump the socially poor performers, as they don't register on my radar.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

A few years back I ran into Steve Stricker in the line at Mother's in New Orleans (it was the week of the Zurich). I think I was the only person in line who had a clue who he was. I introduced myself and wished him luck. He said thanks and asked if I had any recommendations on what to get. I told him my go to was a regular Ferdi Special, but that if this was his first time he should get a small and a side of gumbo or red beans and rice. We talked for maybe another 5 minutes in line while waiting, mostly about restaurants in and around New Orleans. He seemed like a pretty cool guy in that brief interaction.

I've played golf a few times with Chris Riley and met Jason Dufner. Riley is a goofy guy. He can be funny, but can be a little grating too. Dufner takes a while to get going, but once he does he's very laid back and fun to be around.

Per my post above, Steve is a local to me, and have had the privilege to play with him on more than one occasion. I have always told friends that when playing at his home course, he's just "one of the guys" and enjoys to have a good time. He has helped me get better at the game by sharing some of the knowledge as far as how he practices, what he looks at when doing on course practice, etc. He truly couldn't be any more genuine or nice of a guy that anybody could hope to meet. Mr. North is also has a lot of similar qualities, but has a little more of an air of importance about him while on the course. Neither like how many strokes I make them give me.

I caddied in a pro-am group with Boo Weekley years ago, maybe in 2009. He was awesome and every bit the character he seems to be on TV. Really down to earth cool guy, and his caddie was too, though I don't think he's with him anymore. The whole round he was very talkative, making tons of jokes about being uncomfortable in NJ with all the buildings and roads and stoplights.

After the round I was talking to him and he asked where the nearest Hooters was. I was in high school at the time, and my friend and I were going that night for all you can eat wing night. I told him, and we actually ran into him there, though sadly he was getting ready to leave when we arrived. He still said hello and chatted for a bit again there.

I don't think anyone else in the restaurant knew who he was, but it was still awesome.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Driver
TaylorMade 2007 Burner 18* Fairway Wood
Titleist 816H1 23* Hybrid
Callaway Apex 19 Smoke Irons 5-PW
Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges 50* 54* 58*
Callaway PM Grind 19 64* Wedge
Titleist Scotty Cameron California Series Fastback

Freddy Couples used to be my favorite player... until I spent two days in a row walking/scoring with his group during the Insperity Championship a couple of years ago.

So full of himself, definition of douchebaggery in my book. Totally disillusioned with his behavior.

Had the chance of meeting Matt Kuchar and was gladly surprised that he is the same person that you see during the broadcasts and interviews, extremely approachable, very fan friendly and always smiling. The same applies to Graeme McDowell, whom I have met and even drank a beer with at his restaturant, while visiting a friend of mine that's a good buddy of his. Super cool guy.

I was playing in my city tournament about 10 years ago and was paired in the final round with the west coast manager for Bridgestone Golf. We were talking during the round and he told me a story of filming a commercial at a private club with Fred Couples and Nick Price. He said that when the filming concluded, Fred just split, while Nick Price stayed and knocked back a few cold ones with the members. He said Nick Price was one of the all time good guys.

I met Nickie at Bay Hill years ago when I lived there. Him, Norman, Fulton Allem, and David Frost were hanging there, practicing. They were GREAT guys, except Norman. Can't write on here what he was like........lol

Kim Kaufman and Paula Reto from the LPGA are just awesome, James Hahn and Sean O'Hair very good friends, we used to hang out and play practice rounds in Hawaii (stationed there for 6 years) prior the Sony Open, last but definitely not least Tom Lehman and Joe Durant are just gentlemen...

Great to know Sean is a good guy considering his insane father. Made a rule in Arizona junior golf named the O'hair rule barring parents from following their kids during tournaments because he was such an overbearing POS.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

A few years ago I used to find myself in the same tournaments with Tiger. He was always very shy and quiet.... By few years I mean 32-33 and by tournaments I mean the Jr. Club at Los Alamitos GC in Cypress....

Never lost to Tiger.... I was 15 and he was 7 or so but still... 😄

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

This story was hilarious when it occurred at Richard's club during a charity even that preceeded the Frank B Fuhrer/Family house tourney. I was Freddie's BB partner and though he was nice to me, I found him to be as others have described him with the volunteers and gallery- a jerk. Well, it was customary to sign your ball and give it to your partner and I exchanged balls with Freddie and when I was walking way I looked at the ball and he had written his Tele # one the side opposite his name. I found it amusing and showed Richard, who already had had one "encounter" with Freddie in the locker room pre round and he took the ball, went to his bag and grabbed a tee and his driver and walked to the Back of the box on #1, which sits right below the clubhouse porch where a cocktail hour was going on and Freddie was standing with CH III and a club member and Richard yelled out "Yo Freddie," and Freddie looked at him, along with most along the rail, lololol, and Richard held the ball up with his number facing him and Richard said the number out loud, digit by digit. There were members, Players and the public fans all around him and he moved some out of the way and I think that they were more stunned than anything and he teed the ball up and sent a beautiful high 270-280yd draw up over the trees and across the #1 down onto #5 fairway. Freddie ended up giving a caddie $5 to go retrieve the ball, lolol, though he avoided me like the plague during cocktails and dinner, hahaha :) M

Not a golfer but I was at the old Buick Open at westchester with a buddy and his father in law was working the event so he let us in behind the ropes. I got to talking with this guy named Jesse who was super nice and just chatting about normal stuff. After a bit I could tell other people were trying to talk to him, or could just sense something but he kept chatting about sports, movies, asked me what I did. So I asked him what he did and I swear I heard people gasp. He said oh I'm a quarterback. I said really? For who? He said the Giants. I said I'm so sorry I'm a Steeler fan so don't know all the Giants players, he laughed and said no biggie my man, I'm not the starter but my name's Jesse Palmer. Chatted a minute more said really great talking to you and then walked over and signed autographs for a bunch of waiting hot women. Turns out he was just on The Bachelor as well...I'm really am clueless about that stuff!

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

This story was hilarious when it occurred at Richard's club during a charity even that preceeded the Frank B Funder/Family house tourney. I was Freddie's BB partner and though he was nice to me, I found him to be as others have described him with the volunteers and gallery- a jerk. Well, it was customary to sign your ball and give it to your partner and I exchanged balls with Freddie and when I was walking way I looked at the ball and he had written his Tele # one the side opposite his name. I found it amusing and showed Richard, who already had had one "encounter" with Freddie in the locker room pre round and he took the ball, went to his bag and grabbed a tee and his driver and walked to the Back of the box on #1, which sits right below the clubhouse porch where a cocktail hour was going on and Freddie was standing with CH III and a club member and Richard yelled out "Yo Freddie," and Freddie looked at him, along with most along the rail, lololol, and Richard held the ball up with his number facing him and Richard said the number out loud, digit by digit. There were members, Players and the public fans all around him and he moved some out of the way and I think that they were more stunned than anything and he teed the ball up and went a beautiful high 270-280yd draw up over the trees and across the #1 down onto #5 fairway. Freddie ended up giving a caddie $5 to go retrieve the ball, lolol, though he avoided me like the plague during cocktails and dinner, hahaha :) M

I'm confused a) why would he write his number on a ball for someone and b) why is this considered a Doosh move?

Serious question :)

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

This story was hilarious when it occurred at Richard's club during a charity even that preceeded the Frank B Funder/Family house tourney. I was Freddie's BB partner and though he was nice to me, I found him to be as others have described him with the volunteers and gallery- a jerk. Well, it was customary to sign your ball and give it to your partner and I exchanged balls with Freddie and when I was walking way I looked at the ball and he had written his Tele # one the side opposite his name. I found it amusing and showed Richard, who already had had one "encounter" with Freddie in the locker room pre round and he took the ball, went to his bag and grabbed a tee and his driver and walked to the Back of the box on #1, which sits right below the clubhouse porch where a cocktail hour was going on and Freddie was standing with CH III and a club member and Richard yelled out "Yo Freddie," and Freddie looked at him, along with most along the rail, lololol, and Richard held the ball up with his number facing him and Richard said the number out loud, digit by digit. There were members, Players and the public fans all around him and he moved some out of the way and I think that they were more stunned than anything and he teed the ball up and went a beautiful high 270-280yd draw up over the trees and across the #1 down onto #5 fairway. Freddie ended up giving a caddie $5 to go retrieve the ball, lolol, though he avoided me like the plague during cocktails and dinner, hahaha :) M

I'm confused a) why would he write his number on a ball for someone and b) why is this considered a Doosh move?

After reading your post above mine, first, I would like to aplogize for my initial response. I intially thought that you were attempting to be "cute" and sarcstic. I now believe that I was wrong and you asked sincerely. In answer to your first question, someone giving someone their number, whether it be on a napkin, piece of paper or a Golf ball, is given for one reason- in hopes that that individual will call them. To your second question, I as a Lady find a man giving me an unsolicited Tele number to be presumptious, rude and tacky. As Richard would say, Freddie is a jerk-off. Have a nice Easter Jason :) Maddie

I have a friend who has met a bunch of players and played with a bunch of them as well.

He said Phil is a good guy. Lee Trevino was very engaging, a great guy. They were having lunch and a few guys came by their table and asked for an autograph. He politely said once I finish my lunch with these guys, I will sign whatever you like. 10 minutes later he did exactly that. Same guy played with Sergio and it was when the R series just came out. Sergio had pockets full of weights and spent 9 holes changing the weights in my friend's driver to dial it in for him. My friend could not say enough good things about him.

My friend said Freddie was not in the same class, he was unimpressed, expressed the sentiment shared on this post...

I have met Howie Long and Chi Chi Rodriguez who were both awesome guys off the course

I was playing in my city tournament about 10 years ago and was paired in the final round with the west coast manager for Bridgestone Golf. We were talking during the round and he told me a story of filming a commercial at a private club with Fred Couples and Nick Price. He said that when the filming concluded, Fred just split, while Nick Price stayed and knocked back a few cold ones with the members. He said Nick Price was one of the all time good guys.

I met Nickie at Bay Hill years ago when I lived there. Him, Norman, Fulton Allem, and David Frost were hanging there, practicing. They were GREAT guys, except Norman. Can't write on here what he was like........lol

For an Aussie Norman sounds very corporate and a bit aloof. No surprise the other three are cool, most South Africans are like Aussies (besides Norman), down to earth knock abouts. I think it is an era thing too. Tour guys in the 40 and over age bracket come from a time of less entitlement than the younger guys. They played in a time when there wasn't as much money or as much pampering at tour events, a time where they had more time to hang out with their pro am playing partners and have a few beers after the round. These days they need to rush off and practice/go to physio/work out/have a meal prepared by their private chef etc.

I'll let someone else answer this. Serious answer :) M

For real??

A) Guys usually give their numbers to women to "hook-up."

B) Being nice to someone you are attracted to while being a jerk to others is pretty douchey... Not to mention he likely knew she was with someone.

* At least this is what I believe was meant, if I read between the lines correctly :)

I'll let someone else answer this. Serious answer :) M

For real??

A) Guys usually give their numbers to women to "hook-up."

B) Being nice to someone you are attracted to while being a jerk to others is pretty douchey... Not to mention he likely knew she was with someone.

* At least this is what I believe was meant, if I read between the lines correctly :)

Thank you Donald :) you are exactly right and even if I was not with Richard, for him to assume that one, I was even interested and then two, to not be man enough to ask me face to face, well, this doesn't surprise me as these are the types of women that Freddie ends up with. This is his SOP. Balls are more plentiful and cheaper to give away than gloves, even if he doesn't pay for them, lolol. BTW, I love your avatar!!! Take care :) Maddie