Which PGA Tour players are cool off the course? Which aren't?

longshot300

Lone Freddie Apologist post:

In my junior golf days (early/mid 90's, so please excuse the memory), Freddie was The Man. EVERYONE at the AJGA events were wearing his Ashworth shirts, and two kids I met in that circuit even tried to self-apply the nickname "Boom Boom".

One of my AJGA friends played in a tourney in Texas (maybe 94/95?) and was staying with a host family in a very smart part of town, along with three other kids playing in the event. It's the last night they are going to be there (final round was the next day), so they are hanging out in the family's hot tub when the owner came out to chat. The kids start gushing about how nice the house is and the owner mentions that Freddie Couples lives just down the street. The kids immediately go eyes wide and start fanboying all over the place so the owner says, "Heck, it's only 9 PM - why don't you go see if he's home?!"

The kids sprint over there and knock on the door. Sure enough, Freddie answers, and he's home alone (I seem to recall this was around the time of his marital problems?). The four kids barely stammer out "So sorry to bother you Freddie, but we're in town for the AJGA event and we found out you lived here so we wanted to come by and shake your hand you're ourfavoriteplayerandthisissoexciting!" Freddie graciously chats them up for five minutes from the door, then says, "Hey, you guys want to come in?"

Freddie proceeds to give them a tour of his house, trophies, photos, let's them swing with his clubs, asks about their tournament, and, from what was relayed to me, could not have been more amazing to these guys. The kids actually had to excuse themselves (early tee times), but were just dumbfoundedly thanking him and were so excited. Total awe. So they say goodbye at his door and freddie says, "Hold up". He disappears into his house for a few minutes, then comes back with 4 of his logo'd out Ashworth shirts and some autographed hats.

All four of the kids wore that stuff during the final round and were just absolutely over the moon...

So (with understanding about the other side that Maddie witnessed), the story above made a huge impression on those guys and me and made me a fan for life. Impressionable young men who loved golf and loved Freddie... and then THAT happens?! Almost too good to be true, right?

How many times do you think someone meeting their hero goes above and beyond their expectations?!

Regardless of who he has become, that type of altruistic behavior was in him, so please include that in your judgement!

No one has to apologize for Freddie as there are many sides to all of us and most cannot understand the pressures that pull a professional athlete, especially one as successful, attractive and when he wants to be, as outgoing as Freddie in so many directions and just how many rude, pushy and innapropriate people approach them in just a week's time. My GF that I spoke of who dated himn would have him pick her up after a public junior clinic that she volunteered for and Freddie would often come about 45-60 minutes early and take 4-5 of the boys and work with them. He was a gem. Thanks for posting that as it is a great story!! Have a nice day :) Maddie

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience, Jack is a true gentleman whilst everything you hear about Norman is true (and more)

Having said that, they are sportsmen and I don't regard them as any more of a role model than, say, Floyd Mayweather, Donald Trump or Martha Stewart

See it's interesting because I have a bit of a different view about Jack than most. He's a great ambassador for the game and for the most part is a great guy. But all of these guys are human and all of these guys have good and bad days just like everyone else on this board. Jack is no exception. I caddied for a few years at Muirfield Village and, while I never caddied for Jack, there are endless stories from guys who did that tell 2 very different stories about Jack. Anything from Jack firing a caddy for not replacing a divot because the hairpiece Jack took landed in the creek on 14 to a caddie who broke Jack's driver (which was actually Jack's fault) and Jack then not talking to the caddy for 4 holes before having a belly laugh about the situation. I live in suburb which Jack grew up in (Upper Arlington) and he has never done a single thing for the community... yet he does infinite things for a rival suburb (Dublin). There are rumors (some of which are true many of which are not) as to why that is. My buddy has a house on 17 at Village and after a warning about how their hospitality house was too loud with too many voices and bottles clanking, a rather huge, permanent, scoreboard was erected right in front of their house. Blocking all view. Coincidence?

I have nothing against Jack. I met him very briefly, he signed a flag for me, inscribed it to me, and was more than polite and a gentleman to me. But it just goes to show that in the very small interactions we have with people, celebrities, etc. you can get very mixed opinions.

One former tour pro whom I have met now on 3 different occasions and has always been just a great dude is John Cook. When I was 9 years old and at my very first golf event (before I had even swung a golf club) Cook, sought me out after a round and handed me his ball and autographed after walking off the 18th hole. He stood there for a second before signing everyone's autographed and asked me if I was enjoying my day, what groups I followed and what my favorite part was. I was over the moon. Flash forward to when I was 25. I was playing golf at Cook's Creek in Columbus. A John Cook designed course which actually has his family homestead on the property. Older gentlemen was flying around the course. We let him play through but he opted to join up with us instead. It was John's father. The guy could not have been nicer. He was so proud of his son and everything he had done in his career and he was just a great guy to play with. So with a couple of holes left I told him the story about how John gave me that golf ball and it really got me interested in the game. I talked about how much I have rooted for him and the impact John directly (and indirectly had on my life) as golf has become a life passion of mine and without that one moment of him reaching out to me, I am not sure I would have started playing. His dad was almost brought to tears.

Flash forward a few months. I was at an ohio state football game (they were playing Iowa in a OT game which the Buckeyes ended up winning and clinching the Big Ten title). At half we got to go down on the sideline and watch the band play script ohio and hang out with some people. John was on the sideline. I went up to him, introduced myself, apologize for bothering him and then retold the story in a very condensed version. He was taken back and said he recalled his dad telling him he had run into someone saying the same story. It was pretty cool moment.

Bro, Hand's down, no question, THE best post in the thread-

The stories are Great however your thoughts are better!!

Thanks for sharing :)

Have a great season Bro!!

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

My buddy has a house on 17 at Village and after a warning about how their hospitality house was too loud with too many voices and bottles clanking, a rather huge, permanent, scoreboard was erected right in front of their house. Blocking all view. Coincidence?

So the club puts up a wall to solve the sound issue and the buddy still complains? Seems like he just likes to complain. :) Seriously do you think Jack was remotely involved with that decision versus some club/event manager?

No wall, just a scoreboard.

At Village, nothing happens without Jack.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

My buddy has a house on 17 at Village and after a warning about how their hospitality house was too loud with too many voices and bottles clanking, a rather huge, permanent, scoreboard was erected right in front of their house. Blocking all view. Coincidence?

So the club puts up a wall to solve the sound issue and the buddy still complains? Seems like he just likes to complain. :) Seriously do you think Jack was remotely involved with that decision versus some club/event manager?

I know for me, NOTHING goes on in either my consulting firm or bar that I don't know about-

Nothing!!!

Be it good, bad or indifferent, and while I am hands off with my management technique, I want to know everything that occurs and any capital outlays would, such as this board, would most definitely have my stamp of approval or rejection, especially because of the sensitivity of the issue and it's my damn course and before any friggin shovel breaks ground, I'm gonna give the nod-

Only an a**h*** would let that decision be made down at the club level, especially THAT club-

And Jack ain't an a**h***-

Just my .01 worth~

Stay well Bro :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The other total jerk was Rory Sabatini. If there is a more self absorbed, arrogant, pompous jerk, I'd like to see proof. Just a horrible personality, and pretty much rude to everyone.

I had a funny Rory story.

I was at the Memorial one year and we're just off the fairway on #11 to the right. It's a Par 5 that has a few creeks. Anyways, Rory hits his shot and he catches a bad break and the ball bounds within a few feet of us and comes to rest at the base of a tree trunk. Literally, you couldn't have placed the ball closer to the tree trunk.

Anyways, as Rory walks up to find his ball, some college-aged guy tells Rory that he found his tee shot and improved his lie for him. Rory muttered some not-so-nice things to the guy after seeing where his ball actually was.

I agree with Finau, he is a great and humble guy, he always stayed to sign autographs and to speak to the fans, I am so happy for him by winning his first tournament in Puerto Rico (where I am from), like Hadley before him...met both, again, at the Quicken Loans National and to my surprise they remembered our conversations from the Sony Open in Hawaii...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I know for me, NOTHING goes on in either my consulting firm or bar that I don't know about-

Nothing!!!

Be it good, bad or indifferent, and while I am hands off with my management technique, I want to know everything that occurs and any capital outlays would, such as this board, would most definitely have my stamp of approval or rejection, especially because of the sensitivity of the issue and it's my damn course and before any friggin shovel breaks ground, I'm gonna give the nod-

Only an a**h*** would let that decision be made down at the club level, especially THAT club-

Just my .01 worth~

Richard

Exactly. Make the wrong decision there and you won't be employed very long.

The story I heard was that Jack was on the course during tournament week and there were some pretty loud parties at a certain house. He sent someone over asking them to quiet it down a bit and go the old " I paid good money for this house and view and I'll do what I like."

Nothing was said but in a short period of time that person no longer had a view of the course because of the large mound of earth that was erected to block their view. I'm not going to lie, I laughed pretty hard when I was told the story. Some people just don't get it.

Nothing!!!

Just my .01 worth~

Richard

The story I heard was that Jack was on the course during tournament week and there were some pretty loud parties at a certain house. He sent someone over asking them to quiet it down a bit and go the old " I paid good money for this house and view and I'll do what I like."

Nothing was said but in a short period of time that person no longer had a view of the course because of the large mound of earth that was erected to block their view. I'm not going to lie, I laughed pretty hard when I was told the story. Some people just don't get it.

LMAO, I'd do the same damn thing, lol-

Seriously, they'd have the worst view that a seven figure house could ever have, lol

Further reinforcement that money can't buy class, haha

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

Nothing!!!

Just my .01 worth~

Richard

LMAO, I'd do the same damn thing, lol-

Seriously, they'd have the worst view that a seven figure house four ever have, lol

Further reinforcement that money can't buy class, haha

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

That would be the same house I believe haha. Their hospitality house is simply called 'The House' on their invitations. It's a good time. Calc has been known to swing by after rounds (and on occasion before rounds for a little 'swing juice to loosen up that back'... his words).

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I was playing Kapalua before the Champions Tournament a couple of years ago. Some guy drives the green on a par 4 when we are putting out. We finish up and are just about to tee off on the next tee when the guy comes up in his cart to apologise. I didn't recognise him but my mate did. It was Rory!!!! .........Sabbatini.

Not only did he apologise, he asked us to play the rest of the round with him. He helped us read greens, told us stories about the being sponsored by Nike, his days living in Asia........he was a total gentleman.

After reading all the stories about him since, I feel I must of played with a different Sabbatini!

I heard that he'll get into an elevator with elderly people and children, press all the buttons, and then light a cigar after the door closes.

I do that s*** all the time~

If ya smile, say excuse me and compliment the Lady on her outfit you're good-

The key is to get off at the next floor or two and then right as you get to the door, turn to the individual closest to you and say "here, could you please hold this for one sec" and hand them the cigar. It's called the reflex action as if you say it with enough conviction and look them right in the eyes, they will reflexively reach out and take the cigar, then you step out as the door closes~

Especially old people-

They're always looking for something for nothing-

What????

Yea, tell me that ain't the truth, LMAO

I can't wait to hit 70~

I'm gonna redefine entitlement :)

Stay Well Bro :)

Oh yea, I almost forgot, Norman still sucks :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP

You know who's cool as hell-

Luke Bryan~

He was the headliner for our breast cancer Black Tie-

The Gentleman's company who I've spoken of that belongs to Augusta brought him in. It was in 2012. He brought his wife Caroline with him and we went out afterward and she and Maddie had a great time dancin in this shot and a beer joint in these really pretty dresses and Luke and I were in black tuxes and shirts minus the ties, lol-

In fact, that was the first time I'd really drank in probably a decade and boy did I have a headache the next morning, haha

But he's so laid back and just a nice guy, same with his wife and they adore each other. College sweethearts. Cool to see :)

All the Best,

RP

Luke Bryan~

The Gentleman's company who I've spoken of that belongs to Augusta brought him in. It was in 2012. He brought his wife Caroline with him and we went out afterward and she and Maddie had a great time dancin in this shot and a beer joint in these really pretty dresses and Luke and I were in black tuxes and shirts minus the ties, lol-

In fact, that was the first time I'd really drank in probably a decade and boy did I have a headache the next morning, haha

But he's so laid back and just a nice guy, same with his wife and they adore each other. College sweethearts. Cool to see :)

All the Best,

RP

You and Luke sat there and watched us dance???

Sweetie, who was up on the bar going from one end to the other getting everyone up, lololol- You and Luke!!! Caroline was like "oh, this is so unlike Luke. He's normally so quiet off stage," lololol. She asked me if Richard was normally like that. He really is quiet but he and Luke just hit it off and there were only girls dancing and he just grabbed Luke and told him to take one end of the bar and he'd do the other and I don't think that Luke would have jumped on the bar however we looked over at The other end and Richard was up on the bar. The owner is a good friend and they've been partners before, so he was good with it. Another Player who is a lot of fun and I think that Richard spoke of him before is Jim Furyk. He is very down to earth nd his wife Tabitha is a sweetheart. They're an adorable couple. :) Maddie

Luke Bryan~

All the Best,

RP

You and Luke sat there and watched us dance???

Sweetie, who was up on the bar going from one end to the other getting everyone up, lololol- You and Luke!!! Caroline was like "oh, this is so unlike Luke. He's normally so quiet off stage," lololol. She asked me if Richard was normally like that. He really is quiet but he and Luke just hit it off and there were only girls dancing and he just grabbed Luke and told him to take one end of the bar and he'd do the other and I don't think that Luke would have jumped on the bar however we looked over at The other end and Richard was up on the bar. The owner is a good friend and they've been partners before, so he was good with it. Another Player who is a lot of fun and I think that Richard spoke of him before is Jim Furyk. He is very down to earth nd his wife Tabitha is a sweetheart. They're an adorable couple. :) Maddie

Am I normally that way?

It was the damn Jaegermeister, lol~

WOW!!!

Hey, I couldn't understand how you could have 8-10 beautiful women dancing and all the guys standing around watching em, lol-

Cept this one guy, lmao. There were 8-10 girls and him and seriously. He was horrible but hey, he was out there havin fun, and we just had to light a torch under the rest, lol.

Though yes, I would agree that was very out of character for me, lmao-

Well, at least since I turned 40, lol.

But hey Sweetie, it's not like Pete didn't warn ya :)

Lovingly,

Me

I grew up in Jupiter Florida before it was known as the pga tour players paradise. Anyway my buddy opened up a healthy smoothie and fruit bowl shop that Rickie fowler recently use to attend. The guy my buddy opened the shop with was a total dick. Rickie was in the shop grabbing something and someone brought in a dog to grab a pick up order. As the people were leaving the guy came running out of the front of the store yelling don't bring your dog in here!!! Rickie walked out and told the guy he will never go in his store again and that his customer service sucks. My buddy got a new partner and left that business but I thought that was pretty cool of Rickie. I will also add Jupiter is a small beach town nobody cares about dogs and this guy went out of his way to be an a******. Also got lucky enough to play the medalist. Tiger teed off right behind me and my buddy who got me on. We let him play through he was over the top polite about it. He made eye contact several times and said thank you before he got on the green, and then again after. My childhood friend works for Ernie he is apparently as nice and humble of a guy as you'll ever meet.

I grew up in Jupiter Florida before it was known as the pga tour players paradise. Anyway my buddy opened up a healthy smoothie and fruit bowl shop that Rickie fowler recently use to attend. The guy my buddy opened the shop with was a total dick. Rickie was in the shop grabbing something and someone brought in a dog to grab a pick up order. As the people were leaving the guy came running out of the front of the store yelling don't bring your dog in here!!! Rickie walked out and told the guy he will never go in his store again and that his customer service sucks. My buddy got a new partner and left that business but I thought that was pretty cool of Rickie. I will also add Jupiter is a small beach town nobody cares about dogs and this guy went out of his way to be an a******. Also got lucky enough to play the medalist. Tiger teed off right behind me and my buddy who got me on. We let him play through he was over the top polite about it. He made eye contact several times and said thank you before he got on the green, and then again after. My childhood friend works for Ernie he is apparently as nice and humble of a guy as you'll ever meet.

Man, you grew up a lot of times........ :stink:

Sometimes the mobile app glitches out bahahah sorry bout it

94 PGA championship in Tulsa. 2 of my buddies and myself were watching Els hit on the range after a practice round. We were maybe 7-8 years younger than him at the time, so around 17. He comes over to us and asks us where he could get some "puss_" in this town. We didn't know how to answer because we were not from Tulsa (we came from Rosemount, MN) nor did we know how to get any yet :mellow:

True story.

Have told this story before, but was late afternoon tuesday 2010 masters. A guy was going off 1 by himself and just two guys following. I was going back to get my swag from the merch tent check-in, but decided to amble over and see who it was.

Turns out it's Trevor immelman with leadbetter and one of his cronies watching. I decide, hey, I spent all day on the back nine, may as well check out the front and watch immelman. For the whole front nine, was just us. Trevor was really cool, as was leadbetter, asking about my game and explaining what they were working on for that week as far as strategy on each hole, offering me water and fruit on each tee, calling his shots and explaining why he was or wasn't happy after each one. Just a really cool and, dare I say, intimate experience. It was so relaxed and friendly I was half expecting Trevor to offer me a swing or two. Not that I was seriously expecting it, but that was how relaxed and friendly their vibe was.

They were totally cool with me basically being a third wheel and actually welcomed me into their conversations - I tried hard at first to stay out of their business, and even told them I didn't have to be there while they are prepping and they could ignore me if they wanted and I would in no way be offended, and they laughed at me.

Had always heard leadbetter was a horses behind, but he and immelman could NOT have been cooler.

Edit: just realized it doesn't really fit the OP, but, screw it, it's a cool story.

Have told this story before, but was late afternoon tuesday 2010 masters. A guy was going off 1 by himself and just two guys following. I was going back to get my swag from the merch tent check-in, but decided to amble over and see who it was.

Turns out it's Trevor immelman with leadbetter and one of his cronies watching. I decide, hey, I spent all day on the back nine, may as well check out the front and watch immelman. For the whole front nine, was just us. Trevor was really cool, as was leadbetter, asking about my game and explaining what they were working on for that week as far as strategy on each hole, offering me water and fruit on each tee, calling his shots and explaining why he was or wasn't happy after each one. Just a really cool and, dare I say, intimate experience. It was so relaxed and friendly I was half expecting Trevor to offer me a swing or two. Not that I was seriously expecting it, but that was how relaxed and friendly their vibe was.

They were totally cool with me basically being a third wheel and actually welcomed me into their conversations - I tried hard at first to stay out of their business, and even told them I didn't have to be there while they are prepping and they could ignore me if they wanted and I would in no way be offended, and they laughed at me.

Had always heard leadbetter was a horses behind, but he and immelman could NOT have been cooler.

Edit: just realized it doesn't really fit the OP, but, screw it, it's a cool story.

Excellent Story!!!

Bro, you've gotta be ChiTown's coolest white man, lol!!

Seriously, you had great times with Freddie and Leds and I could see one, but both??

You got serious Game!!

Stay Well My Friend & have a great season :)

All the Best,

Richard

Ok, a little night time lullaby, haha

The Boi's cool even if he doesn't stick~

I'd just substitute Golf for Huntin, and I'm good with Fishin and mighty fine with Lovin :)

You had a great time with Leds???

Amazing :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP