2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Titleist high end irons/driver with color pictures.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool stuff but wayyyyyyy out of my price range. I know that's kind of the pint with these but it's a shame that I'll never even try them.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

This has anything to do with competing with PXG. They're doing a ltd. edition concept; that's it. If they said "All are lines are being replaced with the C16", people would have a beef. This doesn't affect how I view the Titleist brand at all.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Doesn't change my perception. I'm sure that some of the tech used in these concept clubs will carry over to future mass-produced lines, and possibly with the 917 series to be released on tour in a few months..

TSR3 10*/AD-DI 6x
TSR2 15*/AD-DI 7x
TS2 19*/AD-IZ 85x

T200 4/AD-IZ 95x

T100 5-9/PX LZ
SM9 46F, 50F, 54S, 60M/PX LZ

SC NP2 Tour CT Custom

Pro V1x

in some ways, I disagree with this recent development in the golf manufacturing industry market, which is the movement towards high-end or beyond-premium pricing.

I suppose Titleist has seen the buzz and hype PXG has created with its incredibly expensive price points, and is attempting to capture some above-average returns as well by positioning an offering as an alternative to the segment of buyers who are already looking at PXG clubs. Do note that I am leaving out JDM equipment out of the discussion because I believe the Japan market is unique in its taste and preferences.

Golf has long been stereotyped as a social sport that is exclusive to the rich, and I remember reading news that the industry is shrinking and manufacturers are reporting dismal sales volumes. The fact that equipment is trending upwards is only going to increase the entry barrier into the sport for the young, and I think from a practical standpoint the increase in prices do not equate to an increase in the "value" or performance of the club.

I certainly hope this market development is just the exploration of a niche group of consumers, and is not going to become the new norm where we are going to see manufacturers increase their price points overall across all product lines. (Don't even get me started on the Titleist 716 series. "An increase of 10-15% because of Forex Translation Losses" and an "Increase in Tungsten used"???)

*Disclaimer* I am a college student hoping golf remains at a reasonable price point

in some ways, I disagree with this recent development in the golf manufacturing industry market, which is the movement towards high-end or beyond-premium pricing.

I suppose Titleist has seen the buzz and hype PXG has created with its incredibly expensive price points, and is attempting to capture some above-average returns as well by positioning an offering as an alternative to the segment of buyers who are already looking at PXG clubs. Do note that I am leaving out JDM equipment out of the discussion because I believe the Japan market is unique in its taste and preferences.

Golf has long been stereotyped as a social sport that is exclusive to the rich, and I remember reading news that the industry is shrinking and manufacturers are reporting dismal sales volumes. The fact that equipment is trending upwards is only going to increase the entry barrier into the sport for the young, and I think from a practical standpoint the increase in prices do not equate to an increase in the "value" or performance of the club.

I certainly hope this market development is just the exploration of a niche group of consumers, and is not going to become the new norm where we are going to see manufacturers increase their price points overall across all product lines. (Don't even get me started on the Titleist 716 series. "An increase of 10-15% because of Forex Translation Losses" and an "Increase in Tungsten used"???)

*Disclaimer* I am a college student hoping golf remains at a reasonable price point

Companies are only expanding the top end of their price range with these clubs. The lower end of the price range is still there if not lowering with increased eBay and used club sales.

Perhaps you won't get the latest and greatest technology at the lowest price points but you will still be able to get a decent set of clubs.

Golf has always been stereotyped as a sport for the rich even though you can get a set of clubs off of eBay for $50.

Irons look clunky especially compared to their commercial offerings including the AP1s. Driver who knows until it can be seen from the top. They will not sell any of these clubs without an approved fitting by a titleist rep. at a certified fitting service. Around here the Titleist rep is scheduled oversee the fitting (by certified fitters) at the end of the month. Didn't say if the fitting is included, maybe not to keep the number down. They appear to be more experimental gimmicky like some high end Japanese stuff. Use regular golfers to do the testing at the golfers expense.. sounds like a smart way to test concepts for future retail sales. I do love their use of high tech 17-4 steel which ping has used since their first cast iron in the 60s the K1.

Before I would spend that kind of money on irons like these or some PXGs I would investigate some Epon irons first.

I never viewed Titleist as high end, like Miura, Epon etc. Their technology has never been cutting edge, just quality equipment that works well. I sure wouldn't call PXG a high tech club only high cost. Everything they make looks like a mediocre copy of Pings S55 and drivers. There is nothing high tech about filling a hollow iron with foam (Taylormade did that with irons in the 80s and at least they seemed to do it uniformly). Nothing high tech about adding a bunch of screws around the iron other than a Frankenstein iron look.. Some of the stores I frequent have sold a handful of PXGs with about 35% having quality problems (evidently they will never rival callaway for customer service). Not selling like hot cakes as some have said...more like S55 numbers which ain't much.

if the game is switching back over to elite only, then I guess the business model will be to extract as much money from the elite as possible.

does the price at least include the fitting appointment at the titleist facility?

The game is not switching back to elite only. There are literally thousands of clubs, new and used, that are cheaper and available out in the marketplace.

Also, high priced clubs have always existed before PXG and now these Titleist's (e.g. Honma, Miura, Epon, etc...). For whatever reason, this knowledge is now only becoming mainstream.

None of the technology they're claiming is new to the industry. #Titleist-ier

No it's not. If people don't believe this is a direct response to the success that PXG is having then I got some swamp land for sale with your name all over it. Titleist was the high end brand. PXG is now aggressively taking that from them. Sorry but it's not some random coincidence that this line all of a sudden comes out during a time when PXG is selling $3000 sets of irons like hotcakes. Titleist had no choice but to come out with a competing high end line to keep their position in the market place.

This is not a bad thing it just is what it is.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

No it's not. If people don't believe this is a direct response to the success that PXG is having then I got some swamp land for sale with your name all over it. Titleist was the high end brand. PXG is now aggressively taking that from them. Sorry but it's not some random coincidence that this line all of a sudden comes out during a time when PXG is selling $3000 sets of irons like hotcakes. Titleist had no choice but to come out with a competing high end line to keep their position in the market place.

. Are pxg really selling like hotcakes? I still have not seen a set in person

. Are pxg really selling like hotcakes? I still have not seen a set in person

They're just selling like cakes. Very fancy cakes.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

I think what we are seeing is what companies have always WANTED to do but didn't want to be the first out of the gate because of the perception by the public as being elitist or only caring about the bottom dollar in an already very elitist type sport. PXG says to heck with the current model and builds clubs based on best of everything and price not being a consideration and now Titleist says sweet...let's do something similar and we won't be grilled for it. Callaway will follow as will others. No biggy. these won't even come close to effecting a bottom line so that is not a consideration

Titleist has made exclusive and or high end jdm market irons and drivers for years. This isn't new. Just the newest models. Long before pxg. They had a custom grind Moto dept for irons and wedges in 1986. And kept it going until 2002 ish. You could literally order irons made to your shape. Square toe , round , thin , wide etc etc. same with wedges. Forged wedges wayyy before vokey that you had to be fit for. Be-cu copper finishes , raw and satin chrome. Etc etc. high end fittings and Titleist is old news. Not new.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

is it really necessary to defend against PXG right out of the gate?

What is PXG's product life cycle going to be like? How do you tell the world these are the absolute best that can possibly be made, charge insane premium, then come back a year later?

That's pretty much what every major golf OEM has been doing for the past 20 years. We should be hitting over 600 yards with our drivers if we believed what the golf OEMs said.

Will they make me a 5 HDCP player as opposed to a 12HDCp?

Which other clubs will do that?

You could use that as an argument to never buy new clubs ever again.

I know....its almost like I have to say that in order for me to stop myself from buying everything that comes out.....but that being said....2K extra for a set of irons that gets you 7 more yards? Not worth it in my opinion....

Companies are only expanding the top end of their price range with these clubs. The lower end of the price range is still there if not lowering with increased eBay and used club sales.

Perhaps you won't get the latest and greatest technology at the lowest price points but you will still be able to get a decent set of clubs.

Golf has always been stereotyped as a sport for the rich even though you can get a set of clubs off of eBay for $50.

Yes you're right. If it really just an example of exploring a new segment of consumers I am fine with that. It is after all a free market and if there are profits to be reaped any sensible profit-maximising company would do well to contest in that segment.

What worries me is what seems to be a general increase in price levels across all product lines i.e the 716 series of irons, Taylormade's PSI irons, and the Mizuno MP5s and JPX series. That isn't an exploration of a segment, but an increase in general price levels.

Nonetheless there is nothing I can say to contest your point about 50 dollar clubs on Ebay except for the fact that I am excited over all the amazing gear we see funnel through Golfwrx everyday heh.

What worries me is what seems to be a general increase in price levels across all product lines i.e the 716 series of irons, Taylormade's PSI irons, and the Mizuno MP5s and JPX series. That isn't an exploration of a segment, but an increase in general price levels.

It's true that some of the 2016 release are more expensive than previous years. It seems that OEMs now want to use previous generation clubs to fill in the lower price points, and try to squeeze the most money out of the latest generation.

Titleist has made exclusive and or high end jdm market irons and drivers for years. This isn't new. Just the newest models. Long before pxg. They had a custom grind Moto dept for irons and wedges in 1986. And kept it going until 2002 ish. You could literally order irons made to your shape. Square toe , round , thin , wide etc etc. same with wedges. Forged wedges wayyy before vokey that you had to be fit for. Be-cu copper finishes , raw and satin chrome. Etc etc. high end fittings and Titleist is old news. Not new.

Can't use JDM, every company has that. We're talking U.S. Market, VERY different and grinds on irons and wedges is very different then having a stock set that is $3000. Again it's not a knock on Titleist I think it's a smart business move. They want to own the space in the U.S. Market so they had no choice.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Can't use JDM, every company has that. We're talking U.S. Market, VERY different and grinds on irons and wedges is very different then having a stock set that is $3000. Again it's not a knock on Titleist I think it's a smart business move. They want to own the space in the U.S. Market so they had no choice.

Irons im talking about where called " custom grind" but it isn't mean sole grind. You could dictate the entire headshape 1000%. Literally go to a certified fitter and pick from 30 plus example head shapes , then custom tune shape from there. Order it and wait for it to be built exactly as you wanted. Then have your grind number saved and hand stamped on the hosel so if you wanted to order another set identical you could. This is retail not just tour stuff. In fact most tour guys played hand shaped sets that did not carry the custom grind moniker. It was nearly all high end retail. Those sets in the 90s were double the price of a set of tour model Titleist blades. I know because i lusted after a set for years. Didn't own any until 2 years ago. Now I own several of these sets. Not folklore. This started in 1986. Not a new thing.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock