Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

They are a instant cult iron awesome, 2016 as a cult year not only are these irons a cult the TM m2 to me is a cult as well.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

TM Qi10 max 16 

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max Blue Head Tpt shaft 34/71

As I posted earlier .... I'll be receiving my CF16 this monday. I am super excited. The reason I decided on these is that I demoed my golf buddies 2 year old Apex irons and I absolutely loved them. Much better feeling than my I25s.

Maybe this has been covered earlier, but besides the 360 cup design .... is there anything else that is different from the 2 yr old Apex irons?

Specifically:

1. Are they the same size?

2. Same offset?

3. Same top line?

Anything else that is different?

As I posted earlier .... I'll be receiving my CF16 this monday. I am super excited. The reason I decided on these is that I demoed my golf buddies 2 year old Apex irons and I absolutely loved them. Much better feeling than my I25s.

Maybe this has been covered earlier, but besides the 360 cup design .... is there anything else that is different from the 2 yr old Apex irons?

Specifically:

2. Same offset?

3. Same top line?

I'd say they are slightly different in looks. Been awhile since I hit the original ones. The CF16s look better to me personally. I think the topline is a little thinner. The originals also have tungsten in the toes of the long irons, but that is gone in the current model.

Specifically:

2. Same offset?

3. Same top line?

Well, I have the 2014 Apex in the bag and will be looking forward to your thoughts! Lol

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

Specifically:

2. Same offset?

3. Same top line?

I'd say they are slightly different in looks. Been awhile since I hit the original ones. The CF16s look better to me personally. I think the topline is a little thinner. The originals also have tungsten in the toes of the long irons, but that is gone in the current model.

The tungsten is actually in the sole in the middle, not toe. You may be thinking of some of the older pings.

JPX 900 forged are better actually more forgiving and less offset

In this poster's defense, I have seen the chart from Mizuno showing "sweet area" size (size of sweet spot), and they do list the 900 Forged as having a "34% larger sweet spot" vs the 2016 Apex Forged (aka the CF16s).

That being said, as a former CF16 owner, and a Mizuno authorized fitter, I've hit both heads there's (to me) not a dramatically noticeable different in forgiveness. The Mizunos do have a bit better feel to me though.

I tried the Apex CF16 and the Apex Pro models, and the Apex Pro seemed to be just a little better for me. I think the less offset of the Pro model suits me a little better. The Callaway fitter agreed with putting me in the Pro model. It had a slightly better feel as well. Both were pretty impressive. Interestingly, the fitter said that the Pro model is 3 degrees weaker, which matches the irons I play with. Hope to get them next week.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I have the cf16 black thinking about a set of combo with amt in them what's the thoughts on that combo or pxi ?

Titleist TSI2 Hzrdus Smoke 

Titleist TS2 4 wood 

Titleist u500 3 iron 

Titleist 718CB 4-9

Vokey 46,50,54

Wedgeworks 58 T 

Scotty Cameron Circle T SB+
TP5 X
Twitter @5_cav

Just a couple of thoughts on the Apex irons. I played the 2014 irons and the cf16s. If you r looking for pure forgiveness and a good deal, there is nothing wrong at all with the original Apex. I switched to the cf16s because I liked the look morer (more compact appearance) and preferred the feel although they r not dramatically different. One issue that I had with both the original and cf16s was that I would get some hot shots in the shorter irons and my distance control was not as good as it was with my 09 forged. So i ended trading my cf16s for a combo set of 16s and I could not be happier. The short irons and wedges in the pro set are very easy to hit and the feel and distance control is as good as my 09 forged. The distance gap between my 8 iron pro head and 7 iron reguler is perfect. Finished my set up with a 3 apex hybrid bent by Callaway to my iron specs. very pleased with this set indeed.

One thing to note about the CF16 irons though, is that their actual lengths run 1/4 inch shorter than most industry standards so if you want a 5 iron to be 38 inches like a Titleist 5 iron ensure that you custom order your set 1/4 inch long.

One thing to note about the CF16 irons though, is that their actual lengths run 1/4 inch shorter than most industry standards so if you want a 5 iron to be 38 inches like a Titleist 5 iron ensure that you custom order your set 1/4 inch long.

What?

If I ordered a 39" 4i you're saying it's actually 38.75?

I had my pro check my clubs to make sure they were to spec when i got them and they came back good for length (39" 4i, 36.25") and loft, just had lies all over the place.

Not that I much care, I stripe my irons as is now, but that statement just made the ??? appear over my head.

What?

I had my pro check my clubs to make sure they were to spec when i got them and they came back good for length (39" 4i, 36.25") and loft, just had lies all over the place.

Not that I much care, I stripe my irons as is now, but that statement just made the ??? appear over my head.

I agree with the above statement. I have my cf16's and like them a lot but the shafts do seem short. I am going to shaft extend a few and try them.

Callaway list their standard length 5 iron as 38" and after measuring mine it is bang on 38". My previous 2014 Apex's were also 38" in the 5 iron. They are industry standard.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

What?

I agree with the above statement. I have my cf16's and like them a lot but the shafts do seem short. I am going to shaft extend a few and try them.

I compared my TM RSi2 that were custom built to be +1/4 inch by Club Champion to the CF16 custom built by Callaway. The CF16 standard length is 1/4 inch longer then the standard RSi2 length (5-PW). When I compared the length of the CF16 to the RSi2, the CF16 were 1/4 inch longer. So I know mine were built to + 1/4 inch.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

What?

I compared my TM RSi2 that were custom built to be +1/4 inch by Club Champion to the CF16 custom built by Callaway. The CF16 standard length is 1/4 inch longer then the standard RSi2 length (5-PW). When I compared the length of the CF16 to the RSi2, the CF16 were 1/4 inch longer. So I know mine were built to + 1/4 inch.

I'm coming from a set of r7 tp's so maybe those are just longer standard lengths. Don't know for sure but cf16's just seem a tad short. Maybe the r7's are 1/4" long and I never knew...

Got these out on the range today and the first impression was really solid. Playing the 5 - PW, stock XP95 shaft in regular flex -- pretty smooth swinger. It had been a few weeks since the last time out, so there were a few clankers to be sure, but balls near the center of the face seemed to really jump out there. Will get them out on the course later this week and report back.

For anyone on the fence, my initial feeling is so far the feedback in this thread seems pretty spot on!

I've got to throw out a positive experience at Callaway PreOwned. Found a set of CF16s that was marked "Nearly New" which was the highest in the condition category. They had the shafts I wanted, but were a 1/4 inch short. Callaway agreed to re-shaft the irons to reg length and place new grips.

I received the clubs yesterday. I swear they appear to be new. There is not one mark on the soles. I was beyond giddy because after my trade in. Then another 30% off ..... The clubs were a total of $430. No sale taxes since they were used. Can't wait till this fri to test them out.

• 3 weeks later...

great info here thanks. im looking at apex pro

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

why do we ho irons? i have a perfectly good set of tmbs, but i dont like my steelfiber 110 shafts. why am i looking an new apex irons

Sooo.. I found a sweet deal on some Ap1 714's. I thought I would take em out this weekend and give them a dance. Distance was fine, trajectory was good. But the difference between the strikes with Ap1 and Apex was night and day. The AP1 was like hitting a steel mallet, while the apex just whistled off the face. I was really hoping that I could justify dumping the most expensive clubs I have ever bought for a really good set of Titleist.. but I just can't.

Apex wins, hands down.

how do they compare to the apex pro

I have a set of CF16's coming in the next couple of days that are for sale. I made a mistake by checking out the new JPX 900's and could not pass them up. If anyone has any interest on here they are:

4-PW, GW

Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 shafts

+.50"

Standard lie

$800

Will be brand new unless I do not sell them before they get here. May hit a 7 iron a few times.

Been gaming these since mid-summer. Picked up a LOT of distance in the long irons, but the short irons are pretty much the same as my old Ping i20's. I probably hit the 4 iron about 25 yards longer than my old 4 iron. Crazy. Great feel, great looks, great performance. Buy with confidence.

Been gaming these since mid-summer. Picked up a LOT of distance in the long irons, but the short irons are pretty much the same as my old Ping i20's. I probably hit the 4 iron about 25 yards longer than my old 4 iron. Crazy. Great feel, great looks, great performance. Buy with confidence.

I tested the 7-iron for a fitting and hit it 13 yards longer than my current 7-iron. The extra distance is great but what happens when you get to the wedges? Don't you have a sizable distance gap somewhere that you cannot narrow?

That is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I am a little concerned about the dozens of sets for sale on Callaway Preowned, as well. Were these customers unhappy?

I tested the 7-iron for a fitting and hit it 13 yards longer than my current 7-iron. The extra distance is great but what happens when you get to the wedges? Don't you have a sizable distance gap somewhere that you cannot narrow?

That is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger. I am a little concerned about the dozens of sets for sale on Callaway Preowned, as well. Were these customers unhappy?

I don't think everything on Callaway Preowned is necessarily preowned and traded in or returned. Much of their inventory has to come from somewhere else.