2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

I now find myself watching youtube after youtube on these irons. Thought I wanted Titleist 716 AP2's but I think these CF16's will bring so much more enjoyment back to the game for me.

Just HAVE to get the right shaft, think KBS would be better over a dg S300 as I beleive KBS have more 'feel' in the tip but I could be wrong. Need a fitting

Anybody play these with Px in them? Also, how would they compare to the Psi Tours performance wise?

PX 6.0 solid

I have PX 7.0s in them. Most consistent irons I've ever hit.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I now find myself watching youtube after youtube on these irons. Thought I wanted Titleist 716 AP2's but I think these CF16's will bring so much more enjoyment back to the game for me.

Just HAVE to get the right shaft, think KBS would be better over a dg S300 as I beleive KBS have more 'feel' in the tip but I could be wrong. Need a fitting

I switched to KBS and they feel perfect to me.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on these but I haven't heard anyone discuss gapping issues. If there is any? If I've researched correctly these launch higher with less spin so they are stronger lofts. If anyone can give examples of yardage gaps between clubs that would be much appreciated.

I have no issues with gapping at all, with 4-AW in the bag. I get a good 10-15yd difference between clubs when playing well:

AW-110

PW-130

9i-140ish

8i-150ish

7i-165

6i-180ish

5i-190ish

4i-200ish

I added the "ish" to the end of most of the irons because I have a range I hit them. I know with a stock swing 7i, the balls going 165.

I come out very close to the same but have had a hard time believing the numbers and have overshot a few greens. I am going to write these yardages on each iron and forget the number on the bottom....just like Ben hogan irons!

I have not had a round out of the 70's since getting them and two in the 60's.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on these but I haven't heard anyone discuss gapping issues. If there is any? If I've researched correctly these launch higher with less spin so they are stronger lofts. If anyone can give examples of yardage gaps between clubs that would be much appreciated.

I have no issues with gapping at all, with 4-AW in the bag. I get a good 10-15yd difference between clubs when playing well:

AW-110

PW-130

9i-140ish

8i-150ish

7i-165

6i-180ish

5i-190ish

4i-200ish

I added the "ish" to the end of most of the irons because I have a range I hit them. I know with a stock swing 7i, the balls going 165.

I come out very close to the same but have had a hard time believing the numbers and have overshot a few greens. I am going to write these yardages on each iron and forget the number on the bottom....just like Ben hogan irons!

Thats the kind of thing I love/want to hear. Whats your h/cap out of interest?

I'm not a fan of jacked lofts for distance, but jacked lofts due to the launch being higher I understand and agree with. At the end of the day if I'm putting for a birdie rather than a par or bogie I dont care what the number is on the iron, I'll get used to hitting a 7 instead of a 6 etc etc its really not that difficult.

AW-110

PW-130

9i-140ish

8i-150ish

7i-165

6i-180ish

5i-190ish

4i-200ish

I'm not a fan of jacked lofts for distance, but jacked lofts due to the launch being higher I understand and agree with. At the end of the day if I'm putting for a birdie rather than a par or bogie I dont care what the number is on the iron, I'll get used to hitting a 7 instead of a 6 etc etc its really not that difficult.

I am at 1.1 now. Cap dropped a point since getting them. I did write the yardages on them today....shot 75. Funny 8 iron down are pretty much what I am used to...the longer irons sometimes are a struggle because I don't know wether or not to trust the distances. I hit a 6 iron to a pin 190 with a breeze at my back....at least a club long. Experimenting with balls to spin them a little more. Tried a supersoft just for a laugh....say bye bye....nuked it!!!

I had the CF 16's for a short amount of time. I just couldn't get along with them. It was truly a case of "it's not you, it's me."

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75 HY

Callaway X-Forged UT 23* - Steelfiber HLS 880
Mizuno Pro 243 5i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 58* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

AW-110

PW-130

9i-140ish

8i-150ish

7i-165

6i-180ish

5i-190ish

4i-200ish

I am at 1.1 now. Cap dropped a point since getting them. I did write the yardages on them today....shot 75. Funny 8 iron down are pretty much what I am used to...the longer irons sometimes are a struggle because I don't know wether or not to trust the distances. I hit a 6 iron to a pin 190 with a breeze at my back....at least a club long. Experimenting with balls to spin them a little more. Tried a supersoft just for a laugh....say bye bye....nuked it!!!

Thanks, I can hit 6 iron in my muscle blades 180 on a calm day, so it no issue to start hitting a 7 iron. However, my worry was the 'flyers' you hear about on here, ie a 7 iron going 180 4 times in a row then from nowhere it goes 195! any experience of these 'flyers'?

I think the combo set would be perfection as the CF16 lofts wont be as severe.

Never a "club" flyer....I think they are solid for distances when you get used to them. I didn't like the combo set...and to be honest I love the cf16 wedge and gap wedge. My lofts are 23 26 29 33 37 41 45 50 md3 55 and 60. I weakened the long irons and they launch a little higher and go just a touch shorter. Like these gaps better than stock.

FWIW if the pros were satin I would have them....but I HATE the chrome.

6 iron

I have the black cf16 in play at the moment and they are brilliant look great even with the black wear on them !

Titleist TSI2 Hzrdus Smoke 

Titleist TS2 4 wood 

Titleist u500 3 iron 

Titleist 718CB 4-9

Vokey 46,50,54

Wedgeworks 58 T 

Scotty Cameron Circle T SB+
TP5 X
Twitter @5_cav

Never a "club" flyer....I think they are solid for distances when you get used to them. I didn't like the combo set...and to be honest I love the cf16 wedge and gap wedge. My lofts are 23 26 29 33 37 41 45 50 md3 55 and 60. I weakened the long irons and they launch a little higher and go just a touch shorter. Like these gaps better than stock.

6 iron

Thank you, thats interesting. I also dont like the Chrome Pro's, however the combo set is all brushed satin so was it the lofts you didnt like?

Still liking mine. I've been comparing them to my ap2's and a set of Adams XTD forged irons I ho'd. The cf16 long irons go about a club longer, which makes sense given the lofts on the 3-8 irons are the same as the other clubs' 2-7. I actually like the lofts, short irons are near my normal distances, and the long irons are longer, which means I can cover the same yardages with fewer clubs.

Also on the sim and on the course, I hit more greens with these.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

In about ten rounds, I have noticed one 'flyer'. A 9 iron off the tee on a par 3 that went straight over the flag,over the green and out of bounds. Cost me two strokes but what a beautiful shot. Only now I worry that that was actually my only true good strike in ten rounds

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

6 iron

Thank you, thats interesting. I also dont like the Chrome Pro's, however the combo set is all brushed satin so was it the lofts you didnt like?

I just thought there was too big a difference in look and feel even though they were all satin finish. I owned them with the same recoil 110's. If the cf16 wedges were huge then maybe, but like I said they are really good and I like my clubs to look/feel the same through the gap wedge.

I had the CF 16's for a short amount of time. I just couldn't get along with them. It was truly a case of "it's not you, it's me."

I'm with ya', didn't care for them. They were good but they didn't stand out over anything else.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I was curious after following this thread so I tested these yesterday. I liked the feel. I tried three shafts; the Recoils were not great for me, the DG Pros were better, but the best so far was the S300 X95's. I'd like to try the Nippons, that will have to be another day.

I found the dispersion was a lot more than I am used to, e.g. 20 yards with the 7 iron. Maybe similar to what "PerseveringGolf" reported the other day.

For some weird reason the 6 iron was only 5 yards longer; couldn't check the lofts because their machine was broken. Do any of you find that the 6 doesn't seem to work? I hit the 4 and 5 iron just fine, so it's not the longer shaft....

Sucks because they are solid....but every time I come to 13 at my course....usually 155-165 over water....I nuke a 7 over the back....even trying to knock it down. At least I never worried about putting it in the water!!!!

Do the original Apex have more consistent distances??? Lofts are about the same as cf16.