2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

Apparently they were way back ordered on PW head. No clue why. . Heard they just got to the main plant like a week ago. I bet the wait time starts to come down soon.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6s - TBD upgrade

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7s - TBD upgrade

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4, CB 5-10 DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

Ping Anser PLD

Love the looks of these. Nice size and love the satin. They are long. Really long. Like, i will have to adjust my setup- kinda long.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

A little more forgiving though? Did you go back to AP2?

A lot more forgiving than the AP2s were. Not even a comparison. My missed are substantially better with the CF16s than the AP2s.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Got fit at my local PGATSS into a set of CF16's with XP 105's (s300, 2* up). Was able to locate the perfect match on eBay and they arrived today. Taking them to the range tomorrow for a full workout.

Titleist TSi2 Driver
TEE EX9 3 wood

TM V-Steel 5 wood

Honma TR21 hybrid 
PXG 0311 Darkness 5-P 
PXG Sugar Daddy 0311T 50* 55* 60* 
Odyssey Black Tour Design #8

I'm wanting to trade my '16 Apex Pros for a set of these. I really like my Apex Pros but I need a bit more forgiveness for my miss which is low and toe and I could badly use some more pop in the 5 and 6i.

Problem is they are backordered 3-4 weeks and new ones will be coming in January most likely.

Decisions, decisions. CPO I suppose...

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

anyone have any thoughts on the Apex vs. P770s?

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Driver - Mitsubishi Diamana S Limited 60 Stiff
TaylorMade SIM2 15° 3W - Mitsubishi Diamana FW Limited 75
TaylorMade SIM Max 19° Hybrid - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White HY 90 Stiff
TaylorMade 2-iron UDI P790 - KBS Tour Stiff
TaylorMade P770 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.0 120g
Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08 F, 60.10 S
2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2.5
Titleist ProV1x
Profile Picture: 16th Tee @ NGLA

I just ordered a set with the Nippon modus 3 130 shafts at no up charge which is a great deal, was thinking steelhead xr pros but I just had a set of new xr steelheads which I traded for the Apex cause they had a little too much off set, the steelheads with same shaft adds $35 a shaft so Apex was great deal and will complement my JPX 850 forged but I have DG 300s in those.

I hope I falling in love with the Apex.

cf16s are WORLDS better than JPX 850 Forged

I have had the combo set for just over a year, and the Pros I love, the CF16s, or my 4-7 aren't my favorite. The sound is a little clicky for me, and I am running into the same issue I ran into with mu old AMP Cell forged Cobra irons, when I get my swing working for me the interaction with the turf isn't the best. When I bought them, the guy doing the fitting talked me into going with the combo set when I was actually leaning towards the Cobra forged Tec, but come to find out he left and in now working for Callaway.

I was hitting the P770s, both the iBlade and the i200, the Cobra Pros, and the Mizuno JPX 900 forged on Friday, didn't switch around any shafts so most were just stock, but the iBlades and the P770s felt great, and the Cobra Pros were up there as well, which surprised me since I was hitting the MB 7 iron.

I am giving serious thought to posting My CF 16 combo set in the classifeds so I can upgrade to something I like better and suits my game better as well.

I made the mistake of changing the shafts on my CF16's from Project X LZ to Fujikura Pro 95i. They went from best thing since sliced bread to stale bread. I was trying to get a shaft with softer flex and lighter weight. That experiment ends today as I will be putting the Project X LZ's back in. Of course on Friday (I hope) they become the second best irons ever. I will be getting the Callaway Epic with the Project X LZ 95 soft-stepped. Hopefully that will give me back the distance I lost (with the same forgiveness) as I recover from sepsis.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I've had my CF16s since last year, and I love these irons...the feel and the performance are better than I got from several other sets that I tried previously. I'm a big Callaway guy and even though I'm happy with these irons, I've thought about trying PXG 0311 irons. I understand the popular opinion about PXG on this board isn't good, but just curious to get people's thoughts on feel, performance, etc that have played/hit both irons. Thanks

I have my CF16 Apex arriving tomorrow (heck it's already tomorrow) in like New from CPO. Going head to head against the Pros I already have. I've enjoyed my Pros but after a few weeks of poor ball striking...

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I have my CF16 Apex arriving tomorrow (heck it's already tomorrow) in like New from CPO. Going head to head against the Pros I already have. I've enjoyed my Pros but after a few weeks of poor ball striking...

I made the switch from the Pro's to the CF16's. Love the pro's but the CF16's are more consistent and definitely forgiving on mishits. They feel softer too...

Titleist TSi2 Driver
TEE EX9 3 wood

TM V-Steel 5 wood

Honma TR21 hybrid 
PXG 0311 Darkness 5-P 
PXG Sugar Daddy 0311T 50* 55* 60* 
Odyssey Black Tour Design #8

I've had my CF16s since last year, and I love these irons...the feel and the performance are better than I got from several other sets that I tried previously. I'm a big Callaway guy and even though I'm happy with these irons, I've thought about trying PXG 0311 irons. I understand the popular opinion about PXG on this board isn't good, but just curious to get people's thoughts on feel, performance, etc that have played/hit both irons. Thanks

I havent played the PXG's but I hit them during the fitting when I ended up with the APEX CF16s. The PXG irons were very good. Numbers wise, they were nearly identical, if not slightly better, than the CF16s. I did feel like the PXG's felt a little better and were more responsive than the CF16s. But I wasn't in the market for irons that expensive. So I only hit 10-12 balls with them. I was impressed with them though.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I made the switch from the Pro's to the CF16's. Love the pro's but the CF16's are more consistent and definitely forgiving on mishits. They feel softer too...

Got them in today... couldn't go to range but hit two 7irons each (my Pro vs CF116) into the woods behind my house. I was quickly reminded why I wasn't a huge fan when I first hit them nearly two years ago. Compared to the Pro (which I flushed of course so it felt like butter) the Apex made a loud click sound. It's just a different feel and sound than I'm used to. I like the look- they don't look big and bulky like I was expecting. I can get used to the sound and feel if they prove to be more forgiving on my low toe miss. But man when I pure my Pros they feel SOOOOO GOOD.

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Toulon Odyssey Chicago

Shot my personal best today with the CF16's, beating my old record by 5 for a 76. I hit twelve greens, and used the 3 iron on 8 par 4's or 5's. fantastic clubs.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

I'm so debating on getting these!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Since they are so popular and back ordered, iI don't understand why Callaway would replace them just yet unless they have something much better cooking; and that would be hard to believe too. I am very happy with these irons as a backup set, with the exception of the yardage gap between the 7 and 8 iron.

I wonder why they didn't make the whole set 360 Cup Face, why is that?

I might have to demo a set of these. I have the first Callaway Apex irons and haven't found a set to date that gave made me want to change. Still lovin em. If these play better, I might have to go for it, but it would have to be a noticeable improvement because I'm not gonna change for the sake of changing, especially when what I have is working so well.

I'm under the impression that the epic and epic pro are sorta the replacements for these. Is anyone verifiably certain that Cali will release new Apex irons in 18?

The Epic and Epic Pro are not part of the Apex line, they are not replacements for Apex. Callaway could wait, but they introduced the CF16 in October 2015 so the normal cycle would be to replace them this fall.

The only improvement I could really think of is, I would like to see an Apex/Apex Pro with the bore-through hosel. That bore-through hosel always lifts the Maltby Playability Factor by a lot, shifting that weight around... if you believe in that. After years of not doing it, they went back to it with the Steelheads.

The only improvement I could really think of is, I would like to see an Apex/Apex Pro with the bore-through hosel. That bore-through hosel always lifts the Maltby Playability Factor by a lot, shifting that weight around... if you believe in that. After years of not doing it, they went back to it with the Steelheads.

I would expect use of the CF17 cup face that is an even thinner face. That would also allow them to distribute the weight differently.

Callaway Chrome Soft

These are so good I'd wait another year before reintroducing the Apex if I were Cally. They can maximize their total profit. That's just me though. Great clubs I like them alot. I'm going to tuck my 7 iron in bed. Night guys!

Cleveland Launcher XL2 Driver 

Cleveland Halo XL Hy-woods

Cleveland Halo XL Hybrids

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 51, 54

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Q Star Tour 

First couple of rounds with these in the books plus two TrackMan practice sessions... I'm going to keep them in play for now but have a couple of concerns I know have been previously mentioned that I'll have to address.

I have too big a gap now between 7i and 8i. In my Apex Pros that was a 155 carry and 145 carry pretty consistently. Now my Apex 8i is about a 150 carry but the 7i is a 165 carry and I even hit one 174 carry once on TrackMan (up there in the 6i avg range. I airmailed a green from 162 with 7i once already.

What have others done to correct this? Should I weaken the loft a degree on the 7i?

Other than that I like the clubs ok. Look is good. Feel is ok though not near as good as the Pros on solid shots. Because I've been playing the Pros I struggle with knowing how much I mishit them.

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I made the mistake of changing the shafts on my CF16's from Project X LZ to Fujikura Pro 95i. They went from best thing since sliced bread to stale bread. I was trying to get a shaft with softer flex and lighter weight. That experiment ends today as I will be putting the Project X LZ's back in. Of course on Friday (I hope) they become the second best irons ever. I will be getting the Callaway Epic with the Project X LZ 95 soft-stepped. Hopefully that will give me back the distance I lost (with the same forgiveness) as I recover from sepsis.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

What Is and What Should Never Be

For those of you who switched to cf from pro, did you find there to be improvement in 8-w?? I have cfs and am looking to get more dialed in on distance with the short irons. Considering the pro just for the short irons.

Thanks

I'm still getting adjusted so I'll post more as i play them. I think if you took the Pros and adjusted 1 to 1.5 strong the distance would be similar/same. I'm maybe getting 4-5 more yards from 8i than I was with Pro. My miss is toe as I tend to get the face path left even with the club path right. Apex slightly more forgiving there.

Where I'm not getting as much help as I'd like is the 5i. Just need more time with it. It bothers me that I can see the cavity at address like it's a driving iron. It's the only club that bothers me at address. So easily picked up 10 yards on 7i but haven't seen that with the 5i. Still about a 175 club- but then again I haven't hit it very well.

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Thanks. The recovery is going well but there is nothing speedy about recovering from sepsis. It will take me about a year to fully recover. And the CF16's have been replaced with the Epic as the best irons ever. The Epic irons gave me back the distance and they are more forgiving.

Callaway Chrome Soft