2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

I agree that none of the newer stuff from Callaway is an improvement over the CF16's, but what did replace my CF16's were the new TM P790's with Recoil shafts. If I were to keep 2 sets of clubs the CF16's would definitely be my back up. They are right up there at the top of the list of favorite irons.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I tried to hit the Titleist AP1 and JPX 900 today thinking I could use some more forgiveness but I actually hit my CF 16s better. I don't know how Callaway does it with a more compact head but they do. I also tried my Cleveland CBX up against my CF16 approach wedge and the CF16 won.These irons feel great to me. Maybe it just comes down to feel?

Anyway, I'm going to stop convincing myself that I need something new and forgiving.

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 3 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

I agree that none of the newer stuff from Callaway is an improvement over the CF16's, but what did replace my CF16's were the new TM P790's with Recoil shafts. If I were to keep 2 sets of clubs the CF16's would definitely be my back up. They are right up there at the top of the list of favorite irons.

I have the Recoils in my CF16's. I really like those shafts.

I picked up a lightly used set of CF16's with Nippon Tour120's in a pawn shop a few months ago because I'm currently a sucker for pawn shop golf clubs and they looked pretty much new. I really didn't want to like them too much because I love my MP-5's, but the bottom line is I need to hit more greens in regulation so I figured I'd try them out. Most off the rack clubs seem to fit me well enough so that wasn't a big concern.

They definitely look great but same can't be said for the sound and feel compared to the Mizunos. They're definitely longer than my MP-5's but can be a little inconsistent, sometimes flying farther than expected.

What cannot be denied however is the number of birdies I've racked up while playing them. I've put the ball within three feet on par 3's shooting between 6 and 9 iron like 10 times which is pretty hard to argue with for me. I haven't switched over completely because that flush feeling with the Mizuno's is hard to part with but I'm very confident having them as a backup set. I shoot in the mid to low 80's so I probably should if I'm serious about getting into the 70's.

I'm seeing some real flyers with them. Got 2 rounds, a 9 hole quick round, and several range sessions. I've airmailed 4 greens, hit a 7i into a hazard when I was trying to layup, and flew a 9i into another hazard trying to do the same. I cannot tolerate this. Cost me some serious strokes.

New irons and no time with them, and it's a distance iron. Patience. Learn from them, grasshopper. Maintain your inner peace. lol. Good luck with them.

This was such a great response. I seriously love it. Well done, swingman, well done indeed.

• 2 months later...

I have logged decent time in my 716 AP2's, but every time I find myself eyeing the best of what's new I find myself back with the CF16's. They are truly an amazing iron (cheaper, more consistent, and as long or longer than the G500's). Good luck replacing them, because I'm not sure they can be improved other than simply updated aesthetics.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I have a set of CF16's with the recoil shafts and have played them for the last year and half. I recently purchased a set of the i500's with the same shafts and I'm finding the i500's to be just as comfortable to hit, slightly longer, and a little more forgiving than the CF16's. i500's are my day-to-day irons and the CF16's are relegated to backups. Both are excellent clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am officially part of the tribe now, some of the most amazing irons I have ever played. Just. Pure. Butter. I really have no idea how they could improve on these irons other than aesthetics changes.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a set today, as the price was just to good to pass, and I really want a set of these. I am not a big hitter, so that "gap" is non existent. These are easily the best clubs i have ever chipped with, and the A wedge is pure magic around the green. I chipped one in the hole today for a birdie with the 9 iron, and stuck the A wedge three times for pars, unreal. These are the best short game clubs I have ever played. The ground was very soggy, cart path only on all holes, so I pushed my trolly for nine holes. The soggy ground was causing issues for the irons on full shots, but the A wedge took care of that!! I ended up with a 40 on the front, my best score for nine holes there, and in that weather, amazing! I really hope they are all that when the ground is decent again, sometime in June?

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Hit my best iron shot this year with my CF16’s yesterday. The last hole at Debary Golf & Country Club is a long dog leg right with a significant elevation change the last 125 yards of the hole.

You have 2 plays:

1. Cut the corner on the right with Driver and catch the slope leaving a 75 yard shot or less. My natural shot shape is a fade so a poor shot brings OB and possibly water into play. The conservative play is aiming 3 wood off the left bunker and leaving yourself a longish second shot from the fairway if you don’t get the right bounce or getting the right bounce and catching the slope as well.

I opted for the second option and left myself 165 into the hole (no bounce for me it’s been soggy here lately). I wanted to take water and the bunkers on the right out of play so I clubbed down to play a high draw with a 7 iron. Then actually execute the intended shot, striping a high towering baby draw on a rope to just 6 feet right of the pin. Just a glorious shot.

However, don’t ask about what happened with the putt...

Ive been loving mine since I picked them up on Black Friday.

I am flirting with Mizuno MP18 Blades, but even if I pull the trigger I am holding onto my CF16’s. They are just great clubs.

Playing bump and runs with these from distance is almost cheating. Numerous times I have found myself in that 30-40 yard range off the front and just pulled a 7 or 8 iron and bumped it up these with such a satisfying and rewarding buttery almost Mizuno like feeling.

Playing bump and runs with these from distance is almost cheating. Numerous times I have found myself in that 30-40 yard range off the front and just pulled a 7 or 8 iron and bumped it up these with such a satisfying and rewarding buttery almost Mizuno like feeling.

I’ve had the same experience. These clubs are awesome for this type of shot. I’ve used the 7 iron for this all the way to 50 yards out. It comes off the face so smooth.

Yeah, I use the A wedge for carry, and the 9 iron for bump and run, and yes, they are like cheating. I still look at my scorecard and can't believe it. If Sean2 can get any club he likes, and sticks with these, that is all I need to know.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Finally got 18 in with these. I struggle with the longer clubs just like the rest, but I chipped another in today with the 9 iron. I had two birdies and shot an 82, my best at Cole Park GC, Ky. I parred some holes because of these, and Golf Channel is right, when flushed these feel so smooth. I need some range time to get the 7 iron dialed in. I forgot to add; the 5 iron is amazing for knock down shots, never hit anything like this.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Finally got 18 in with these. I struggle with the longer clubs just like the rest, but I chipped another in today with the 9 iron. I had two birdies and shot an 82, my best at Cole Park GC, Ky. I parred some holes because of these, and Golf Channel is right, when flushed these feel so smooth. I need some range time to get the 7 iron dialed in. I forgot to add; the 5 iron is amazing for knock down shots, never hit anything like this.

What shafts are you playing? What's your swing speed and tempo?

The Recoil 440 senior. Smooth tempo and around 85 swing speed with driver. I hit my 7 iron around 135. When i play with others, they are shocked how far i hit it with my swing, it looks like I barely move. Senior tees.

That's great. A close friend has them with the 760 Recoils in regular flex and just pures them.

Got my set in 2016 and still love them, and my golf has never been better. In fact I just ordered my second set, this time with the regular xp95. I’m sure the CF19s will be just as good, but at $450 in Like New condition I’m set for the coming years.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

• 2 weeks later...

Challenge MP55's, really. I just replaced the 6 iron with a hybrid, but not sure that is going to work as I really pured the 6 iron last time I played. I will probably put the 5 iron back in the bag as it gets me out of jail easily. The weather is killing me. The only golf I am getting is books and tv, arghh.

Bag is in overhaul mode