2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

Anyone with the recoil 110s? How do you like them? How do they feel?

They feel like KBS TOURS to me and play very similar but much easier on the elbows. Very pleasant feeling when flushing these especially the longer irons.

PING
G425 LST 10.5* Alta CB Slate 55S

G430 Max 3W Alta CB Slate 65S

G410 2H, 3H Alta CB Red 70S

Glide 2.0 ES 54,60 AWT wedge S (blackout)

Vault Anser 2 Slate

Callaway 

Apex Pro Combo ‘19 5-A Steelfiber i95S

Titleist

ProV1 (2021) Yellow / White

I'm loving the irons more and more with each round (coming from the Apex Pros). They don't feel quite as good as the Pros but deliver more punch off mishits. Turf interaction again not quite as good as the Pros but not an issue.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I'm scarred (and scared :lol: ) by the prior generation Apex. I tried them outdoors at a demo day a couple of years ago and hit them terribly. I mean just AWFUL. Out of a couple of dozen swings I hit maybe 5 somewhat resembling a golf shot.

Now, I obviously didn't have my swing that day and it was VERY windy but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :scare2:

Anyway, I'm hitting the CF-16s (stock XP95 stiff) indoors and hitting them very well. I've also recently been hitting the Apex Pro as well.

Had a fairly long session yesterday in the store sim with both irons. As expected I'm almost a club short with the Pros (PX 6.0 steel) but what I found unusual was the ball flight. Virtually every shot was a gentle to fairly hard draw; the Pros drawing more than the CF-16. I rarely see this shot shape on the course - my general ball flight is very straight.

So, for comparison, since I've played my Ping G's recently (from my older Ping G20s), I put together MY G combo (1.5 up with DG S300) and hit that. Hit the G combo VERY straight (this is what I DO see on the course). Distance a few yards short of the CF-16s therefore a little more than 1/2 club longer than the Pros. So while the Apex' were all standard lie and the G was 1.5 up it's even stranger that the Apex' would draw and the G would stay straight. :dntknw:

I'm not a big hitter. Ping 7 iron flies about 149/150, CF-16 about 153/4 and the Pro about 143/4. Launch for all was between approx 22.3 and 24.0 degrees. The biggest difference I saw was the SPIN RATE. All 7 irons, the Apex spun consistently around 4300. The Apex Pro around 4600. The Ping Gs around 5700.

Now I didn't have my preferred shaft (the DGS300) in either Apex but would that have much effect on the spin rates for the Apex ? I believe I've seen some spin rate complaints on this thread. Anybody have any issues with lofted irons releasing on the green when you would have expected them to (pretty much) stick ?

Thoughts ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I'm scarred (and scared :lol: ) by the prior generation Apex. I tried them outdoors at a demo day a couple of years ago and hit them terribly. I mean just AWFUL. Out of a couple of dozen swings I hit maybe 5 somewhat resembling a golf shot.

Now, I obviously didn't have my swing that day and it was VERY windy but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :scare2:

Anyway, I'm hitting the CF-16s (stock XP95 stiff) indoors and hitting them very well. I've also recently been hitting the Apex Pro as well.

Had a fairly long session yesterday in the store sim with both irons. As expected I'm almost a club short with the Pros (PX 6.0 steel) but what I found unusual was the ball flight. Virtually every shot was a gentle to fairly hard draw; the Pros drawing more than the CF-16. I rarely see this shot shape on the course - my general ball flight is very straight.

So, for comparison, since I've played my Ping G's recently (from my older Ping G20s), I put together MY G combo (1.5 up with DG S300) and hit that. Hit the G combo VERY straight (this is what I DO see on the course). Distance a few yards short of the CF-16s therefore a little more than 1/2 club longer than the Pros. So while the Apex' were all standard lie and the G was 1.5 up it's even stranger that the Apex' would draw and the G would stay straight. :dntknw:

I'm not a big hitter. Ping 7 iron flies about 149/150, CF-16 about 153/4 and the Pro about 143/4. Launch for all was between approx 22.3 and 24.0 degrees. The biggest difference I saw was the SPIN RATE. All 7 irons, the Apex spun consistently around 4300. The Apex Pro around 4600. The Ping Gs around 5700.

Now I didn't have my preferred shaft (the DGS300) in either Apex but would that have much effect on the spin rates for the Apex ? I believe I've seen some spin rate complaints on this thread. Anybody have any issues with lofted irons releasing on the green when you would have expected them to (pretty much) stick ?

Thoughts ?

Thought 1: Are you sure you are doing a fair comparison in terms of lie angles? Each manufacturer has different standard lies and the clubs lengths that affect lie angles may be different. You need to research the specs to see if the Pings were truly 1.5 up over the others based on standard and shaft lengths.

Thought 2: Why do you prefer DGS300 shafts? Your distances seems short to warrant that shaft. You may want to explore R300 if you like the heavier feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts ?

I know this was posted 2 weeks ago but I would say you def. need a different shaft than what you were hitting. Under 5k is way low for a 7i. You should be in the mid 6k to 7k range with a 7i. Id suggest a lighter weight, higher launching and higher spinning shaft.

I haven't had issues with the CF16s rolling out too much. Yes, they roll out a little further than my 712 AP2s did, but, we are talking a matter of feet, not yards. The CF16s do spin less than my AP2s, but, they also launch higher. With the proper shaft fitting, I was able to the spin to 5800 on average with a 6i in the CF16s.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I've had these about 2 months, and I can't dial in the distances worth a crap. Nice looking, decent feel and forgiveness, but they can be HOT. I've flown more greens with these things, only to be short on what I thought were well struck balls on others. I'll be going to MP 18 or 718 AP2 in a month.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

In a way I'm glad I am a beginner who hasn't developed a consistently solid technique or habits. I really like the feel and forgiveness of these Apex CF16's and will hone my technique to fit these clubs instead of finding the 'elusive' perfect clubs to fit me. To me, having the right shafts is more important than clubheads. I plan to keep these and all my new acquisitions for 10+ years.

I hated these every time I hit them in doors. My fitter gave me a set (4-AW with Recoils) to hold me over until the 718's come out. I absolutely love them very long, forgiving, and feel pretty darn good.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thoughts ?

I know this was posted 2 weeks ago but I would say you def. need a different shaft than what you were hitting. Under 5k is way low for a 7i. You should be in the mid 6k to 7k range with a 7i. Id suggest a lighter weight, higher launching and higher spinning shaft.

I haven't had issues with the CF16s rolling out too much. Yes, they roll out a little further than my 712 AP2s did, but, we are talking a matter of feet, not yards. The CF16s do spin less than my AP2s, but, they also launch higher. With the proper shaft fitting, I was able to the spin to 5800 on average with a 6i in the CF16s.

Thanks for the reply.

I was always a high launcher of the ball even though I played the ball back and was a "digger". I modified slightly to take a bit less dirt and the ball still flew very high. I have since (3 months ago) developed some slight swing changes and have become a sweeper and am hitting the ball much straighter.

The CF16's, with the very low spin rate, were with the stock stiff XP95s (my Ping G's were with the DGS300). I find a few 100 rpms difference with different shafts and the same head but nothing like the 11-1400 or so difference between the Ping head and the CF-16s. I'll have to check another GI iron head and see where it falls, maybe an AP1 or XR16.

As a follow up I have recently found a DGS300 shaft at the store to use with the CF-16s but the results were very similar - lowish spin rate. But it was, as might be expected, a bit straighter and a few yards shorter with the DSG300.

When I got my current G20s 5 seasons ago I spent at least 6 sim sessions in 2 weeks with different shafts (mostly lighter) in the G20s and every time the DSG300s were a bit shorter than the others but the dispersion was FAR better. Only other shaft that gave similar results was the KBS C-Taper (played 1 season with it but went back to the DGS300).

Thanks again.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Just an FYI, Callaway announced they're bringing back the Apex Blacks. Pre-orders start Friday!

Wish they wouldn't wear so damn fast. Cobra King MB are about the only black clubs that hold up the test of time.

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

Got the Steelhead Pros this week, thought they were going to kick the CF16's out of the bag, nooooooooooooo chance. Have both in the Recoil black shaft and there is no comparison, the CF16's are more solid and the feel is so much better. Should have saved my money and trusted my CF16's they are the best.....

Had a decision to make this week CF16's or Steelhead Pro's. CF16's won out. Nice taste in golf bags English. Picked up one of those this year as well, someone had won one and was selling it cheap. Sweet Bag.

I wanted to love these irons so bad but I gave up on them after a couple months. It really bummed me out. I didn't like the turf interaction and I really didn't think they felt that great. I can understand why people love them but they weren't for me.

Im the same just dont feel right to me tried a few different shafts and still no good so ping i200s for me

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

The Black irons are back!!!!!!!Sweet.

Does anyone know if they're available in left hand this time??

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

They blemish easier than I was hoping on the first release.

Hopefully, they have rectify the finish this time to be more like the wedges.

They are sexy without a doubt but when the finish starts to come off various places it can be distracting.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Does anyone have any experience with the KBS Tour V 90 shafts? I think they're exclusive to callaway or even to the Apex. I have them in a set I bought used and they're okay, but I haven't seen any distance gains like most Apex users have, and the clubs don't feel near as good as other clubs I've tried with DG or Project X shafts.

All I know is they're supposed to be low weight,low launch and low spin.

EDIT: these clubs do perform very well though. GIR has gone up from 4-7 to 7-12 per round.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

What I discovered at the range tonight. I can hit my 8 iron 150 yards on average but every once in a while get great height and 175 yards. I hear a lot of people saying these clubs are too inconsistent.

Well I got news for you, it ain't the clubs. I get 175 when I swing great and hit the sweet spot.

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 3 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

What I discovered at the range tonight. I can hit my 8 iron 150 yards on average but every once in a while get great height and 175 yards. I hear a lot of people saying these clubs are too inconsistent.

Well I got news for you, it ain't the clubs. I get 175 when I swing great and hit the sweet spot.

That's my problem with these, they are too inconsistent. I had a 181 approach the other day and was 20 yards over the green with a 6 iron. It really messes with how I choose an iron for a shot. I have a pretty aggressive swing and maybe these aren't meant for that, I don't know. I will be selling these for MP 18 or 718 AP 2 in a few weeks, I can't handle the inconsistencies.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black