2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

Sunday I hit a 208 yard 5i. Just sayin. :taunt:

That's a smoothie sand wedge for most of us ;)

Yes Im in the wrx short-knockers club. It was a par 5, hit a dud of a drive, total heel shot. Wanted to get to about 125 so I would have a pw/9i for my 3rd. Just flushed the 5 and was 127 out. Planted the approach to 12ft. Lipped the birdie, gimme par. I will take that all day.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Sunday I hit a 208 yard 5i. Just sayin. :taunt:

That's a smoothie sand wedge for most of us ;)

Yes Im in the wrx short-knockers club. It was a par 5, hit a dud of a drive, total heel shot. Wanted to get to about 125 so I would have a pw/9i for my 3rd. Just flushed the 5 and was 127 out. Planted the approach to 12ft. Lipped the birdie, gimme par. I will take that all day.

Nothing left to do post hole-out but put the sunglasses back on and just waaaaaaaaalk away like it's routine. :D

I received my set today and took them for a half hour on the range on my way back from work. They are second-hand 3-SW with KBS V90 shafts. I also took my 712 AP2 4 and 8 irons for comparison. My AP2's have longer and heavier shafts (PX 5.5, plus 0.5" in the long irons, then gradually moving up to plus 1" in the wedges). Because of the shorter shafts the lie angle was too flat, so the Apex hit the turf near the toe, right on the club number on the sole.

First impressions:

Looks: they look good in real life. I like the brushed look and the topline and offset look reassuring yet still alluring. I especially like the head shape of the wedges and short irons. In the bag they look a lot like the 712s. Yet, they're not quite as good-looking as the 712's, which is pretty much what an iron should look like to me. And the three iron and set wedges aren't anywhere near as pretty or as the 712u 2 iron or my sm5 Vokey wedges. 1 down.

Feel. They feel nice, but nothing special to me. I wouldn't say they feel as nice as a one-piece forged head. The AP2 felt more solid, probably partly because I'm used to the heft of the AP2. I didn't care for the UTX grips. I play Ping 5L grips without a glove and the UTX felt a little too slick in my left palm. 2 Down

Trajectory. Beautiful ball flight. I starts out high, then goes flat and keeps on going and lands softly. Especially the 3 and 4 irons had much better trajectory than the ap2's. 1 down

Distance. In the long and mid irons the lofts are a full club stronger than my AP2s. Given the stronger lofts, the new tech and the lighter shafts, I was expecting at least a full club increase over the AP2. However, the shorter shafts gave back some of the advantage. Good shot against good shot, the Apex 8 iron was a little bit longer but not by a landslide. The 4 iron was clearly longer than the AP2 however. Even

Forgiveness. Easy win for the Apex. Much more forgiving. Poor shots went almost as far or just as far as good shots. Because of this average distance was better as well. Thin shots flew like good shots. I only hit one fat shot and it was as bad as I deserved. The wedges are much more reliable and forgiving than the vokeys. Apex 1 up

Accuracy. This, to me, is where the Apex really shines. The Apex was very, very straight. Better than the AP2. I would hit three balls to the same spot on the range and they would be within a few feet. Unfortunately, the 3 iron wasn't as straight off the tee as I had hoped, but then, neither is my current 712U, so still advantage Apex. APEX 2 Up.

Workability. For a 13 handicap, I work the ball more than one would expect and probably more than I should. I just like to. It's simply fun to curve a ball around, over or under trees. As you might guess, course management is an issue for me as I take way too much risk.

The Apex was remarkably easy to work left and right. As I just said they were very straight, but when i tried to draw or fade, the ball curved in the right direction but just not as much. I think this could be very beneficial to me; a 5-10 yard fade is much easier to get on the green than a 10-30 yard fade. I expect with some practice, I will gain enough confidence to hit draws and fades into greens to take out one side of the green.

High and low shots were not quite as easy to work. High is not a problem, but I couldn't hit a low 8 iron as I can with the AP2.

APEX 3 UP

Wedges. I use my current PW a lot for pitches and chips, because it is much safer than the vokeys. I was hoping the Apex wedges would offer some of that reliability with the stopping power of my higher lofted wedges.

I spent 15 minutes chipping with the SW.Because I haven't dialed it in yet, I would hit three balls at the same target, or sometimes just try to duplicate the first shot. The SW was EASY and forgiving. I did hit the ground before the ball a few times, but still got a decent result. I could hit low chips, normal pitches and a flop (from a good lie). I also chipped in twice. APEX 4 Up.

To sum up, I like them, and they should help make the game a little easier for me, but it's not love at first sight. Reading back my first impressions, the apex wins on the rational aspects (performance) but it doesn't match the titleists on look and feel. Also, if I keep them, I will have extra costs to adjust length and/or lie, and maybe new grips, so thats another thing for me to think about. Decisions, decisions...

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Anyone playing the combos?

At the beginning of this season, I started with a set of the Apex CF16 / Apex Pro combo sets. I found the distance gap between the 7 iron and 8 iron did not flow very well for me. Also, for my ability the forgiveness of the CF16 all the way through the set just suits my game better. The CF16 is hands down the best set I've ever played and I've tried more sets than I would like to admit.

Update: These irons are legit. Since putting the CF16's in the bag at the beginning of last month (July) my handicap has dropped from 10.2 to 7.8 and is trending to 7.1 with the next revision. I've posted five rounds of 77 or 78 after having never scored in the 70's in my life. The forgiveness factor can't be overstated. Shots low on the face and out towards the toe (my miss) are finding the green and giving me putting chances, where before I would be chipping or trying to recover from trouble around the green. Simply an amazing set of irons.

Anyone playing the combos?

At the beginning of this season, I started with a set of the Apex CF16 / Apex Pro combo sets. I found the distance gap between the 7 iron and 8 iron did not flow very well for me. Also, for my ability the forgiveness of the CF16 all the way through the set just suits my game better. The CF16 is hands down the best set I've ever played and I've tried more sets than I would like to admit.

Update: These irons are legit. Since putting the CF16's in the bag at the beginning of last month (July) my handicap has dropped from 10.2 to 7.8 and is trending to 7.1 with the next revision. I've posted five rounds of 77 or 78 after having never scored in the 70's in my life. The forgiveness factor can't be overstated. Shots low on the face and out towards the toe (my miss) are finding the green and giving me putting chances, where before I would be chipping or trying to recover from trouble around the green. Simply an amazing set of irons.

Awesome! Gongrats on the handicap drop. Looking forward to trying mine in a round :)

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

I ha e just got the apex black today and they are getting ajusted to my spec and grip choice can't wait put md3 wedges in also and a pm grind ! Gone back to the dark side after half the season with Taylormade psi tour

Titleist TSI2 Hzrdus Smoke 

Titleist TS2 4 wood 

Titleist u500 3 iron 

Titleist 718CB 4-9

Vokey 46,50,54

Wedgeworks 58 T 

Scotty Cameron Circle T SB+
TP5 X
Twitter @5_cav

I've been following this thread but can't remember if this exact issue is addressed: How much of the distance gain is due to the head vs the XP 95 shaft? The web site for the shaft claims up to 9 yards of distance gained by using this shaft, due to the light weight and higher launch.

Would you expect a significant gain in distance using a PX or would it be better to order a PX 95 Flighted shaft to get a lower weight? I have PX 5.0 shafts in a set of irons now.

Thanks for suggestions, but going for a fitting isn't an option due to my remote location.

I've been following this thread but can't remember if this exact issue is addressed: How much of the distance gain is due to the head vs the XP 95 shaft? The web site for the shaft claims up to 9 yards of distance gained by using this shaft, due to the light weight and higher launch.

Would you expect a significant gain in distance using a PX or would it be better to order a PX 95 Flighted shaft to get a lower weight? I have PX 5.0 shafts in a set of irons now.

Thanks for suggestions, but going for a fitting isn't an option due to my remote location.

I can't explain the distance gain. I'm at least a full club longer. I've played irons with the same loft and have never hit it this long. Maybe the Nippon modus 3 shafts have something to do with it. My scores haven't been better yet because I still don't have the distances down. I really like these irons and it doesn't have to do with the distance gains. These will be in my bag a long time.

So when I compare like lofts there is a bit of distance gain, but not a ton. For me the issue is two fold as to why I will be playing these irons.

1. Forgiveness. Jeez, because they were the wrong SW, length, and lie when I got them I hit a few more un-solid shots with them, yet still managed to hit as many greens as normal. I remember for instance a 6 iron that I hit that was a little low on the face, it still carried close to the same distance, but rolled out just a bit more since it was hit thin.

2. One way miss. These have allowed me to play more of an attacking style. I know where my ball is going much more now than before.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 4 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Didn't really matter. Everything flew longer for me. I hit some XP 95s, then tried KBS tour 120s. XPs spin more. Was getting more distance with KBS tours, and they are heavier. That shaft really fits me well though, just from experience. The face is so hot on these though. That's why they are so long.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

Mine have the Recoils and I've played them for about 2 months now. They feel smooth and solid, have a mid-high trajectory, and are almost a full club longer than my old set, 2014 Ping Anser Forged with Steelfiber shafts. They're certainly more forgiving and with hitting more GIR these irons have probably dropped 5-6 strokes off my score.

It's funny, but the smoother I swing, the better the shot. It's like I don't have to after these irons at all to hit the distances I want. This is the first set of Callaway irons I've ever had, and I have to say they are impressive with the Recoil shafts. I had lost some distance and accuracy, but have it back with this set. And getting my scores back into the low-mid 70's again has been awesome!

One other thing is that these irons are a lot more durable than I expected. After two months in the bag they don't show any kind of bag chatter and look as good as new. Very nice for a forged club.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

I hit my i20s very well but am somewhat interested in the CF16s. I would increase my distance with each club 5 to 10 yards (I have demo-ed the CF16s) with the CF16 but would be hard pressed to hit the CF16s any better. However, just like everyone else on this board, I would be very interested in playing new irons if it would improve my scores. Here's my question: would moving form i20s to CF16s be the right move?

Might be a good idea to watch Crossfield's comparison to the new Ping I. That video pretty much sums the thoughts I get when comparing the two. The CF16 were about a club longer than my i20s, which is significant, but not necessarily good for everyone. I can hit a stock 6 iron 165, but I can step on it and maybe I get 5-7 more yds, if I need to. The CF16 7 iron was right around the same distance, but when I really stepped on it to get a little more it flew 179. That's not really a good thing. Basically the Callaways don't add much spin when you push them, they just rocket. Not saying I'm good enough to hit it past the pin and suck it back or anything, but I do prefer it to stop close to where it lands if at all possible. Thats going to be harder to do with these - For me. They just want to go.

The callaways look more compact at address though, which is nice. Slight mishits are pretty much nullified by the forgiveness and ball speeds you get across the face. Another big plus. I like both sets and would be giddy having either one.

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

Mine have the Recoils and I've played them for about 2 months now. They feel smooth and solid, have a mid-high trajectory, and are almost a full club longer than my old set, 2014 Ping Anser Forged with Steelfiber shafts. They're certainly more forgiving and with hitting more GIR these irons have probably dropped 5-6 strokes off my score.

It's funny, but the smoother I swing, the better the shot. It's like I don't have to after these irons at all to hit the distances I want. This is the first set of Callaway irons I've ever had, and I have to say they are impressive with the Recoil shafts. I had lost some distance and accuracy, but have it back with this set. And getting my scores back into the low-mid 70's again has been awesome!

One other thing is that these irons are a lot more durable than I expected. After two months in the bag they don't show any kind of bag chatter and look as good as new. Very nice for a forged club.

I just installed my Recoils in them last night. Can't wait to get them on the course. They had small grips, and the shafts were not a great fit. I turned every single iron over right to left. I swapped out the 7 and 8 iron first(where I get one CF and one Pro) and took them out to the range before swapping the rest of the shafts. Wow, the difference is huge. I am back to a stock shot producing my small draw, and being able to hit a cut when needed.

I can't wait to try out the rest of the irons.

• GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Getting fit tomorrow for these. Any recommendations from those who have been fit for the Apex?

What kind of recommendations?

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

In a fitting, the fitter should have you try numerous shafts. Try em all, your paying for it. What feels the best? What gives you the best numbers (assuming a trackman type monitor is being used)? What are you most comfortable with?

Go with an open mind. Ask whatever comes to mind. Be open to suggestions. Dont worry if you hit a clunker of a shot - theyve seen it before.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Shafts, long irons, etc? Hit a 7 iron 150 and driver around 250 if I catch it flush. Just never been fit before and any tips or questions you guys think I should ask while there would be appreciated.

If you are going to a place like Club Champion or Cool Clubs, just be honest about your game and goals with fitter. Don't go in with any set ideas on what you want, just let them do their job to find the right shaft (along with length and lie angle) for you. I have been fitted for clubs at Club Champion in the past. Not only did I get fit for the clubs, I learned a lot that I have used on what heads and shafts will work best for me with my swing. Plus I learned why something does not work for me.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

As was said before, try all shafts so you test different flexes, weights and brands to know what is best for your swing. Ask a lot off questions about each product to understand their characteristics. You'll be surprised how different the results are from shaft to shaft based on your swing and how the shaft performance is relatively in sync with the described characteristics of each shaft. While I don't think you should have any judgements coming in, having a generals understanding of the characteristics of different shafts helped me feel more confident in the process. If there is another head you're considering, hit them right after one another to assess feel and assess numbers. Ask the fitter about the numbers (ie. spin, trajectory, ball speed vs club head speeds, offline, distance, etc). Some have seen lower spin with the head so you may not want a lower spinning shaft also. Learn and enjoy most importantly.

well I have 10 full rounds on game golf with these Apex

Here is the longest shot with each club just for giggles, presented with no pretense

4i- 248

5- 235

6- 208

7- 199

8- 171

9- 168

PW- 157

AW- 131

I was hitting mine similar distances, a little less so you know what I did???? I traded them in for the Apex Pro 16's. They are great irons, but I could not get used to the size of the club heads.

well I have 10 full rounds on game golf with these Apex

Here is the longest shot with each club just for giggles, presented with no pretense

4i- 248

5- 235

6- 208

7- 199

8- 171

9- 168

PW- 157

AW- 131

That's a huge gap at the top. I had some gaps and bent my combo set to get better gapping.

AW - 140

PW - 154

9I - 167

8I - 180

7I - 194

6I - 207

5I - 222

4I - 236

Just had first session with my cf16 black and they are great ! Not seeing massive gains but am seeing better forgiveness

Titleist TSI2 Hzrdus Smoke 

Titleist TS2 4 wood 

Titleist u500 3 iron 

Titleist 718CB 4-9

Vokey 46,50,54

Wedgeworks 58 T 

Scotty Cameron Circle T SB+
TP5 X
Twitter @5_cav

three quick 9's with mine

changing from TM 2.0 burners at about the same distance or less on the burners

gaining less spin on the shafts and better dispersion on the apex'

the clik from the face on the proper hits in a good mental clue on the swing/

At this time the turf interaction is about the same.

the swing speed is the same but the dispersion control is easier.

I am hitting more gir than before.

distance is the best part as I hit three shots in 3 FEET of the each one with the AW,...

Age 57

HCP 10.6

PXi 6.0 2 up 86 to 91 ss with my 7i from the fitters numbers.

mid size grip double wrap to help keep my hands neutral to the swing.

5i 198 many times nice long flat non spinning tee or ground paths

6i only been up hill 178 to 170 to 3pars. nice path and good feel\

7i 165 to 159 depending on conditions

8i 155 to 150 consistent distance and low dispersion

9i 145 to 150

pw 125 to 134

AW 110 to 114 landing at 106 to 109

I already had forged wedges so that "feel" is comparable.\\

I am looking to not having the blow up holes when I get a flier over or major left when the old shafts flex.

time will tell.