2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

Im still going along with the clubs. The long irons are absolute cannons and I enjoy hitting them. The short irons, Ive learned to choke down just a bit and put a nice easy swing on it and I get consistent results. its a fine club. My one issue, and I have had this issue with Cally irons before, is the sole. I prefer for of a sole like Mizuno irons, where there is relief on the leading and trailing edges. I seem to get better turf interaction with them. I know its my swing, but am averaging a fat shot per round with the cf irons. Something I wouldnt see with the different soles. Not bagging on the irons, they are fine irons and like I said, love hitting the longer ones - just rockets! But I may have to move on from them and back into a set that has more leading and trailing relief.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Im still going along with the clubs. The long irons are absolute cannons and I enjoy hitting them. The short irons, Ive learned to choke down just a bit and put a nice easy swing on it and I get consistent results. its a fine club. My one issue, and I have had this issue with Cally irons before, is the sole. I prefer for of a sole like Mizuno irons, where there is relief on the leading and trailing edges. I seem to get better turf interaction with them. I know its my swing, but am averaging a fat shot per round with the cf irons. Something I wouldnt see with the different soles. Not bagging on the irons, they are fine irons and like I said, love hitting the longer ones - just rockets! But I may have to move on from them and back into a set that has more leading and trailing relief.

If you don't mind the raw look, someone can grind relief for you.

Tough to sell them, but if they are keepers.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

If you don't mind the raw look, someone can grind relief for you.

Tough to sell them, but if they are keepers.

Have thought about that. Would have to do maintenance since its forged.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Just got back from the first range session after getting fit for these with DGS300, +1", 2* up. Ended up ordering the black heads.

It looks like between the clubs and proper fit (again) I gained about 1.5-2 clubs with better dispersion than my 712 AP1s that I was struggling with after swing changes.

I'll see how they perform on the course tomorrow, but so far I'm very pleased with the results.

Just had my first session with these today after they got dropped off at my house. Went stock XP95 in regular. I'm not good enough to notice the real difference between the different regular shafts, and it felt great at GS, so pulled the trigger. Recent bought an entirely new bag from putter on up, and these things are incredible.

Having the MD3 in 50, 54, and 58, the high lofted CF16s just feel so buttery smooth and meld so well with the MD3s. And the longer irons are just so easy and forgiving, and absolutely fly.

These things are just incredible to play and hit. I am so over the moon about them, I can't wait to get out and play later this week!

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

I have the apex black for a few rounds now and I love that I can hit my 7I 170yds! Maybe it's just a mental thing but it gives me more confidence. I think once you get your yardages dialed in with the extra distance you will start hitting more greens. The one thing I'm struggle with is the tweeners when you have to take a 3/4 or knock down shot, yesterday I had 125 uphill into the wind where I thought I could hit pw but might have to hit it a little harder than I wanted to and I hit a 3/4 knock down with the 9 and it was a beautiful s*** right at the pin but went 5yds to long, a little work on those shots and these are the perfect irons.

The one thing that I have noticed is the sound of the ball coming off the face which is awesome, I've had a lot of irons and these are by far the best I've had.

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

i am getting my CF16 SW today and will try and get 9 in after work (weather permitting). I am using my Game Golf right now to get a feel for yardages. I am loving the PX LZ shafts even more than the PX PXi. I get the same smooth feel as the PXi, a medium flight, and having no problem getting the ball to stop. I even get the 9i, PW, and AW to backup. When I get to the green, there is a large crater to fix (along with a couple others that other people did not fix).

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I'd like to see some pics of the black Apex's after a few rounds...

I'll try and post some.....they definitely get some wear from paracticing....just the sweet spot of course :yes:

Ping G400 Tour S
Ping G400 14.5
Ping G 19*
Ping G 22*
Ping I200 5-P (PXLZ 5.5)
Power spec
Vokey 50,54,58

Odyssey 3T P2 GP Tour Snsr Stright

Anyone game the Cf16 with ctapers?

I just received my set with C-taper 120's after trading in the version with Nippon 120x. The C-tapers go plenty high with no problems spinning. Even with a slight breeze down wind I pick up a club or more of distance with only half a club loss into the wind. Crosswinds are still a problem- the CF16s are affected by the wind significantly more than my Apex Pro '14s with Tour-V X ever were. I like the results, but the feel is not as good as my Pro's.

Sweet. I got fit and I just did not get along with the pros but I got the best launch conditions from the pros+ project X shaft

Once we went to the CF16, some shots were launching too high. A DG x100 brought the launch conditions back to ideal but I didn't like the feel of the X100 it was too harsh, liked the S300 better. But that really launched high.

Unfortunately they didn't have a ctaper to hit. They'll have it for me this weekend and just by research everyone says the ctapers should have similar to lower launch that DG with better feel. I hope so.

Zeroing in on some Apex's, I'm just anal and wanna get it right!

I got my CF16 SW and had a change to try it on the range yesterday. I think distance wise it will provide the necessary gap between the AW and the Nike VR Forged 58 I put in my bag. I think it will give me the 85-90 yard club I am looking for with a full swing and will give it a try for chips and pitches around the green. The 58 degree I will use for bunkers and when I short side my shot to the green.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I got my CF16 SW and had a change to try it on the range yesterday. I think distance wise it will provide the necessary gap between the AW and the Nike VR Forged 58 I put in my bag. I think it will give me the 85-90 yard club I am looking for with a full swing and will give it a try for chips and pitches around the green. The 58 degree I will use for bunkers and when I shot side my shot to the green.

Yes I find the SW quite useful for the same distance. Good luck!

I went through a Tour Van fitting the week of the Fourth at the PGA Superstore in North Myrtle Beach. It was a lot of fun, and I hit two irons the best. The Ping I 7-iron was 8 yards longer than my 170 yards with my similarly lofted 32* 7-iron, and I hit it with much tighter dispersion, but slightly right of center.

The Apex CF16 was twice the gap, at 17 yards, and very tight dispersion. The loft was only 1 degree stronger. All of the clubs, including my own, are +0.5" and two degrees flat. I had much better results using lighter shafts with both the Pings and Apexes.

I didn't pull the trigger because I was uncertain how to manage the distance gap at the bottom of the set. I have read in this thread where some saw the gap shrink, while others are hitting their pitching and gap wedges a full club longer. For those golfers, how do you transition to your wedges? I hit a lot of wedges with 10:30 and 9:00 swings, but not sure how I could cover that much distance if my 50 degree gap flies 135 (my current 45* PW distance), and my 56* distance is 100 yards. Right now I carry two gap wedges - 48* and 52*, but hoped to change that and add a club at the top of the set.

Very eager to read the results of others.

How do these compare to the Diablo Forged irons???

My second favorite iron I have played is the Diablo Forged and favorite is the Nike VRS Forged. They are way better than the Diablo Forged. The face of the CF16's has a softer feel. They are also way more forgiving and longer. The Diablo Forged is genesis of forged GI irons and the CF16's are a vast improvement.

Callaway Chrome Soft

What's everyone's thought on the combo set? What's the reasons for or against this route?

The Pros are very small...

but if you can handle them.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

What's everyone's thought on the combo set? What's the reasons for or against this route?

The Pros are very small...

but if you can handle them.

I thought so too. I did hit them well at my fitting but that's one day at that moment so I do worry. Probably will opt for the forgiveness of the full CF16 line

Got fit into Modus3 120X shafts

Just tested these at Golfsmith today and was absolutely blown away by how good I hit them! Gained 20 yards even on mishits.They are beautiful irons too.Don't have that shovel look to em like a lot of the cavities out there!

+20 yds on mishits? That's insane!

Exactly! Thats why I was blown away by them.I don't know how accurate these launch monitors are,but that is what it was showing.The mishits on the MP15's were loss of 15 yards minimum.Here's the crazy part,center hits on the MP15's were 20 yards shorter than the CF16's!! I still can't believe it.