2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

The CF face is a rocket launcher for sure. My normal 6i is 180-185 and my 8i is 155-160 but after testing a lot of shafts and getting my launch and flight dialed in with the modus I hit 10 straight 6i 190+ and got the 8i out there 165.

Needless to say I now need another wedge and can drop 1 of 2 hybrids I carry.

Just tested these at Golfsmith today and was absolutely blown away by how good I hit them! Gained 20 yards even on mishits.They are beautiful irons too.Don't have that shovel look to em like a lot of the cavities out there!

+20 yds on mishits? That's insane!

Exactly! Thats why I was blown away by them.I don't know how accurate these launch monitors are,but that is what it was showing.The mishits on the MP15's were loss of 15 yards minimum.Here's the crazy part,center hits on the MP15's were 20 yards shorter than the CF16's!! I still can't believe it.

Believe it!

What I am finding is that the last 3 rounds I have played I havent needed my hybrid (22*). The cf16 5i is a cannon for me. Im hitting it close to 200 yards.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Has anyone compared these to the srixon z545, did you find the cf16 to be more/less forgiving?

I've been back and forth between the CF16s and Z545s for the past two months. For me, the CF16s are a bit more forgiving in terms of distance lost on mishits, but the difference is slight. I'll hit one thin off the toe and it still has a fairly high ball flight with maybe 7-10 yards distance loss. Can't go wrong with either one, IMO - both great irons.

I'm sure I will get hated on. I very much like the CF16's and think they play almost exactly like the AP2's. However I left both camps and joined the Srixon Z745 craze. Half the price and unbelievable. Don't believe me, then just check out the many reviews on this site....

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I know when the new line comes out I'm definitely hitting them (565, 765).

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I'm sure I will get hated on. I very much like the CF16's and think they play almost exactly like the AP2's. However I left both camps and joined the Srixon Z745 craze. Half the price and unbelievable. Don't believe me, then just check out the many reviews on this site....
No hate from my end,in fact,thanks for the info.I might check them out.Do they look nice like the Apex's or do they look shovelish? Cause that is the one thing to me that would justify spending a grand.Them Callaway's not only hit dreamy,they are dam nice looking!!

I went through a Tour Van fitting the week of the Fourth at the PGA Superstore in North Myrtle Beach. It was a lot of fun, and I hit two irons the best. The Ping I 7-iron was 8 yards longer than my 170 yards with my similarly lofted 32* 7-iron, and I hit it with much tighter dispersion, but slightly right of center.

The Apex CF16 was twice the gap, at 17 yards, and very tight dispersion. The loft was only 1 degree stronger. All of the clubs, including my own, are +0.5" and two degrees flat. I had much better results using lighter shafts with both the Pings and Apexes.

I didn't pull the trigger because I was uncertain how to manage the distance gap at the bottom of the set. I have read in this thread where some saw the gap shrink, while others are hitting their pitching and gap wedges a full club longer. For those golfers, how do you transition to your wedges? I hit a lot of wedges with 10:30 and 9:00 swings, but not sure how I could cover that much distance if my 50 degree gap flies 135 (my current 45* PW distance), and my 56* distance is 100 yards. Right now I carry two gap wedges - 48* and 52*, but hoped to change that and add a club at the top of the set.

Very eager to read the results of others.

This is my concern as well. These are almost too long. I don't want another wedge in my bag and I already like my hybrids.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

I went through a Tour Van fitting the week of the Fourth at the PGA Superstore in North Myrtle Beach. It was a lot of fun, and I hit two irons the best. The Ping I 7-iron was 8 yards longer than my 170 yards with my similarly lofted 32* 7-iron, and I hit it with much tighter dispersion, but slightly right of center.

The Apex CF16 was twice the gap, at 17 yards, and very tight dispersion. The loft was only 1 degree stronger. All of the clubs, including my own, are +0.5" and two degrees flat. I had much better results using lighter shafts with both the Pings and Apexes.

I didn't pull the trigger because I was uncertain how to manage the distance gap at the bottom of the set. I have read in this thread where some saw the gap shrink, while others are hitting their pitching and gap wedges a full club longer. For those golfers, how do you transition to your wedges? I hit a lot of wedges with 10:30 and 9:00 swings, but not sure how I could cover that much distance if my 50 degree gap flies 135 (my current 45* PW distance), and my 56* distance is 100 yards. Right now I carry two gap wedges - 48* and 52*, but hoped to change that and add a club at the top of the set.

Very eager to read the results of others.

This is my concern as well. These are almost too long. I don't want another wedge in my bag and I already like my hybrids.

They are almost too long., but not quite I have found. My biggest issue with distance gap was between my PW and GW. So I had my GW bent 1* stronger and that seems to have solve the issue.

I must say I love these irons, soft, but man they are cannons!

I just saw the Srixon line (not the new one, the 545 745 line). The 545 is way clunkier than I ever imagined. the 745 looks like a dream to hit.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

No hate from my end,in fact,thanks for the info.I might check them out.Do they look nice like the Apex's or do they look shovelish? Cause that is the one thing to me that would justify spending a grand.Them Callaway's not only hit dreamy,they are dam nice looking!!

The 745's are slightly bigger than the CF16 or AP2, or at least visually. They still look awesome IMO. But when hit solidly, which is not hard to do, they feel like a forged blade. I often feel the CF16 and AP2 feel a little bricky even though they perform great. Srixon is the great unknown for most because retailers don't normally carry them....

I may or may not have a set with Tour Issue AMT S400 on the BST...going to a different shaft but love these heads!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

I played a round with the CF16 SW. For the full swing it filled the distance gap I had in my bag. I also tried it for chipping around the green. It had a really nice feel to it and cut through the fescue with no issue. Next week I will see if I get the same result with Bermuda. I only tried one shot out of the sand and I am not going to judge it on that one shot. It was wet sand and the water from the sprinter nearby hit me on the downswing. I got it out but it went about 40 yards to far.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

You're definitely going to want to see used Apex Black in persons to decide. "Holding up" is very subjective. If that means the black staying black then that ain't happening. A pro at a local course has them and they already have silver streaks and finish tearing off after 2 rounds.

Looks sweet to me but if visible wear annoys you then black apex ain't for you

Still waiting for a pic of a used Apex black :)

^^^^^^^

I second that. Planning to get the apex and want to see how the black holds up.

This guy claims he's used them for 10 days (rounds ?)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

^^^^^^^

Black will come off clubs wherever it has an impact with an object - whether sole or face when ball or ground. If you don't want to see a blend of steel and black, don't buy the black.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I never thought I'd be contributing to this thread, but after an extensive few days of fittings at Golf Town I ended up getting Apex CF16 5-A with recoils. A big switch in shafts from what I'm used to (Dynalite Gold XP) and initially thought I'd swing too fast with them but not in a good way. If anything my tempo is a little better with them since I'm taking the club back a little slower and with an easy swing you can still crush the ball. Unfortunately my swing is still not great and in my first round with them I somehow managed to hit every iron, but not many from the fairway since my course's fairways are getting burned out with our current drought and even good drives (of which I hit very few) easily can run out into the rough. Hoping to get some range time in the next day or two since I basically went right form Golf Town to the course without any time to warmup. I think I'm going to love them and my elbows are already thanking me for getting the recoils.

Boy I'm really digging the 5i in this set. I just seem to jive with it. 200yds. Very confident with it.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I gotta imagine one bunker shot is gonna leave some silver streaks like no other too

It does. I wish they had the same finish as the md3. They are wearing beautifully and I have had those in places no golfer should be in ;)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Absolutely love these now. Started really hitting them well after some lessons too haha. I guess the question now for me is do I drop my 4H for a 4i? I hit my irons much more consistently and am way more comfortable hitting an iron as compared to driver/3W/hybrid. It's a length thing. Considering getting a 4i to add one more. Opinions/thoughts?

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

Absolutely love these now. Started really hitting them well after some lessons too haha. I guess the question now for me is do I drop my 4H for a 4i? I hit my irons much more consistently and am way more comfortable hitting an iron as compared to driver/3W/hybrid. It's a length thing. Considering getting a 4i to add one more. Opinions/thoughts?

I dropped my hybrid (22*) as my 5i was going almost as far at 24*. Added a 62* md3 at the other end of the bag.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

^^^^^^^

Black will come off clubs wherever it has an impact with an object - whether sole or face when ball or ground. If you don't want to see a blend of steel and black, don't buy the black.

Of course the black will come off. I'd still like to see how much wear they show and how the soles hold up as well...

Titleist TSi2 Driver
TEE EX9 3 wood

TM V-Steel 5 wood

Honma TR21 hybrid 
PXG 0311 Darkness 5-P 
PXG Sugar Daddy 0311T 50* 55* 60* 
Odyssey Black Tour Design #8

I dropped my hybrid (22*) as my 5i was going almost as far at 24*. Added a 62* md3 at the other end of the bag.

I have good wedge gaping. Everything from 8i to 60 is in 5 degree intervals. Having a 4i gives a "more balanced" looking bag, a bit more traditional. But length up top isn't an issue (if I roll to 260 on my driver and can put my 3W at 230, when I hit them, then that's fine). It's more a matter of what people think of the 4i as a club since I hit my 3h 210 and my 4h 190, and my 5i 200... Something is wrong there lol.

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1