2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

I don't want to get too tied up in the strong lofted irons quagmire, so let's give Callaway the benefit of the doubt. Let's say the face of the 7 iron is so hot that it creates 15 extra yards of carry. Does that help me? Maybe that's a stupid question but I'm serious. My current PW carries 115-120. Let's say the CF15 PW goes 130. All that's changed is I need an extra wedge now, right?

It's also much easier to hit a shorter shafted club more accurately.

I don't want to get too tied up in the strong lofted irons quagmire, so let's give Callaway the benefit of the doubt. Let's say the face of the 7 iron is so hot that it creates 15 extra yards of carry. Does that help me? Maybe that's a stupid question but I'm serious. My current PW carries 115-120. Let's say the CF15 PW goes 130. All that's changed is I need an extra wedge now, right?

It's also much easier to hit a shorter shafted club more accurately.

Ok, I can understand that - if the length of the shafts is not increased from one set to another. Did you have to add another wedge when you went with this set?

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

I mean, I like the irons when I tried them....and they went far and were fun to hit.....I just don't see how it helps to have my 7 iron go the same distance as my 6 iron....what am I missing here

My i20 7 iron carries 150 yards. These carried 165, but they're built longer with a few degrees less loft. So would I gain anything?

Opens a slot up or two in the bag.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

So I loved my CF16s. Loved them. Then yesterday my wife took my car with clubs in the trunk and I had to play my Srixon Z545s again and I'm torn. It's definitely easier to control the ball flight with the CF16s, but man I forgot just how great the Srixons feel on good strikes... CF16s were a bit longer on the launch monitor, but only 3-4 yards, so the practical difference on the course is more or less nil to a high handicap player like myself. Someone please talk me back into the CF16s that I just dropped a ton of cash on...

Looking up the loft of an Apex 7 iron it is listed at 31 degrees. A Mizuno JPX 850 is 32 degrees. Can't easily find the JPX 800 which is what I have in my bag right now. Have also been playing the 2011 Ping Ansers the past couple of years.

I had the opportunity to hit the Apex 7 iron with the stock shaft at my club's range this past week, and compare it to my JPX 800 7 iron with a DG 300 stiff shaft. The length of the clubs themselves were the same.

The Apex produced a higher ball flight and landed at least 10 yards further. I was duly impressed. The sound was a little more clicky, but I could get used to it. It felt pretty solid. The forgiveness on mishits seemed to be better than the Mizuno. I really like my 800s but am thinking about the Apex.

Love everything about these irons and they look so much better than the previous Apex at address. Unfortunately I decided to experiment with some shafts that didn't work out for me but now a basically new set of 5-PW with DG AMT S400s is in the Classifieds!

That said I'm going to order either the combo set of the CF16 set with the KBS Tour shafts I know and love.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

So I loved my CF16s. Loved them. Then yesterday my wife took my car with clubs in the trunk and I had to play my Srixon Z545s again and I'm torn. It's definitely easier to control the ball flight with the CF16s, but man I forgot just how great the Srixons feel on good strikes... CF16s were a bit longer on the launch monitor, but only 3-4 yards, so the practical difference on the course is more or less nil to a high handicap player like myself. Someone please talk me back into the CF16s that I just dropped a ton of cash on...

Easy. If you don't play the CF16's, your wife will remind you of all of the money you spent and they are sitting there collecting dust.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Yes, you would need an extra wedge that goes 115. But.... you get to say that you're hitting your irons 10 yds farther. For whatever that's worth.

I can understand wanting to hit your driver further. And I can understand wanting to hit a fairway wood further(in some instances). But other than that, to me it's all about covering all the gaps. Extra distance on irons just creates a different problem... re-gapping your bag. Solvable, but was there a problem to begin with if you had all the gaps covered? Iron play to me is all about precision, not further, but the distance and direction you need it to go. Now, if you just like the way the clubs feel, and you don't mind re-gapping for the distance differences... sure, buy whatever and just get yourself a new wedge.

I liked the Apex Cf 16 but I needed to add another wedge. Problem is, most "wedges' are not as forgiving as the set clubs. So even with the A wedge more going 125, I needed a second gap wedge to hit the same as my previous gap wedge. I would be adding a less forgiving wedge for 110 yards if i kept the wedges in the same blade style family. I'd love to hit a 200 yd 5 iron, but didn't want three Vokey wedges nor add a new, different 50* wedge. To each their own...

I have played strong lofted clubs in the past and went 4-PW, AW, 54*,58*. That is just me, and I understand everyones thought process. I was interested in trying ap1's until I seen their lofts and decided against it since I have played this wedge set up for a long while and am very comfortable with it. I understand if you are playing more of a traditional set and like your gaping, that these lofts might cause you grief. I get it.

I have played strong lofted clubs in the past and went 4-PW, AW, 54*,58*. That is just me, and I understand everyones thought process. I was interested in trying ap1's until I seen their lofts and decided against it since I have played this wedge set up for a long while and am very comfortable with it. I understand if you are playing more of a traditional set and like your gaping, that these lofts might cause you grief. I get it.

Yeah me too. Same exact setup. Works for me but like you said, might not be for everyone.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Funny you say that...I just hit the 945's and my hands had an orgasm from how marshmallow gooey they feel when you hit them right. I just bought the 745's in the 4-5-6, and the 945's in the rest....To me feel is everything.

Just played a few rounds with the new sticks. Short irons go about the same but the long irons are cannons. First swing of the day was a 4 iron off the tee that carried 220+ (driver =110mph). Hit a 200 yard par 3 pin high into the wind with the 5 iron. Love the feel. Explosive and soft at the same time if that makes sense.

I've hit these and that description does make sense. Explosive and soft. However, given that the long irons are cannons and the short irons are standard,, does that not leave you with a gap issue? I know it would for me...

Tried them out for a couple months. Even went to Callaway to get them dialed in. Long story short, I have a combo set on Srixon Z545/745 on the way.

Curious what the issue(s) was?

Feel was never that great imo. I was coming from 714 AP2's and after hitting the CF16's for a while, it wasn't even close. AP2's were softer and just felt better overall, especially on center strikes.

The distance was just too much. I would have had to get all new wedges and at least one hybrid or wood. It was just too much price wise for me and It was pretty frustrating hitting online 2nd shots just to watch them sail 10 yards over the green......with a pitching wedge.

Speaking of price, damn these are pricy. I bought them used at 1050 but after adding grips and a proper shaft, it would have been cheaper just to order them new and I didn't want to spend 1200 plus.

I also wasn't fond of the looks. The topline was too thick and overall the short irons seemed clunky. The high toe wasn't for me either.

I did consider a combo set as the pros definitely felt a ton better and were pretty forgiving. I did actually find a used set of them, however, the brushed finish on the pros was coming off of the clubs. Not sure if this is a typical issue or not.

Positives: I don't think these were easy to hit, however, the forgiveness distance wise was pretty good, especially off toe where I tend to miss.

Why did I even get these you ask? Well, first off I have to admit the hype got to me. I wanted more forgiveness and distance in my long irons and a forged iron. It just didn't work out.

FlyZ+ 8.5 Kuro Kage Tini X Weight Forward
Taylor Made RBZ 3W
PingG25 5W & 20 Hybrid
Srixon 565 (5-7) 765 (8-A) KBS Tour V Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX 54/58 KBS Hi Rev
Scotty Cameron Select Newport

Thanks for the thoughts, lots of good points made regarding distance/gapping. I like the thought of gaining extra yards, but will probably stick with what I have. If I end up getting a hotter face iron it might be the Wishon 771csi's as he lofts are more traditional and therefore should be an easier adjustment gapping wise. But there is certainly nothing wrong with what I have now so I'll probably stand pat.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

I have strong lofted clubs in the 716 AP1's, which to me seem very close to the CF 16's that I don't see why they don't get any love on this site, but that is a different topic. You can always bend a set wedge a couple of degrees to maximize you gapping too. My strong lofted set goes after bending my PW from 43 to 45*, 52* & 58* and got rid of my AW that was 47*. That is a way to not give an extra club slot to wedges unless that is your preference. Just an option to mention.

I have strong lofted clubs in the 716 AP1's, which to me seem very close to the CF 16's that I don't see why they don't any love on this site, but that is a different topic. You can always bend a set wedge a couple of degrees to maximize you gapping too. My strong lofted set goes after bending my PW from 43 to 45*, 52* & 58* and got rid of my AW that was 47*. Now I have not given an extra slot to wedges unless that is your preference. Just an option to mention.

for that reason I'm replacing my thin bladed 3 iron with a 716 AP1 4 iron, so easy to hit, higher trajectory and same distance as my 3 iron. Whats not to like.

I liked the Apex Cf 16 but I needed to add another wedge. Problem is, most "wedges' are not as forgiving as the set clubs. So even with the A wedge more going 125, I needed a second gap wedge to hit the same as my previous gap wedge. I would be adding a less forgiving wedge for 110 yards if i kept the wedges in the same blade style family. I'd love to hit a 200 yd 5 iron, but didn't want three Vokey wedges nor add a new, different 50* wedge. To each their own...

What about the Apex SW

What about the Apex SW

I'll grant that it's a possibility. Haven't seen one in person. Anyone know how an Apex SW plays from around the greens and sand as well as from the fairways?

Callaway is fitting me this Saturday at my golf club so I will be getting pretty up close and personal with the Apex line. Everyone claiming a club difference in length is making me excited but I play fly-z now and those are cannons in their own right.

Not everyone.

At least in my case I gained a few yards as th lofts jacked up.

Maybe a half club for me.

But they are really really easy to hit.

And, most importantly, they look great.

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   DF3

I have strong lofted clubs in the 716 AP1's, which to me seem very close to the CF 16's that I don't see why they don't get any love on this site, but that is a different topic. You can always bend a set wedge a couple of degrees to maximize you gapping too. My strong lofted set goes after bending my PW from 43 to 45*, 52* & 58* and got rid of my AW that was 47*. That is a way to not give an extra club slot to wedges unless that is your preference. Just an option to mention.

I get what you are saying. I have just been playing my wedges at 50, 54, 58 for a really long time, like 10 years or so dating back to the TMAG r7 iron days. So when I look at a set I go off lofts that I currently play and how that affects my short/wedge game.

You are correct in bending, but I feel that an iron set all bent to the lofts I want changes how that set was engineered to be played.

You are also correct that the ap1 is a fabulous iron and if the lofts were in line with what I was after, I wouldn't even be posting in this thread because they would be in my bag!

what is the flight with the stock shafts? Do the strong lofts get canceled out XP shafts.? Looking for a higher flight.

I'd suggest you give the XP95 stock shafts a chance.

Prior to the last couple weeks, I had sworn off the XP95 shafts as I thought they were too light and would balloon on me. I typically hit a high ball with my irons and always "fit" best into DG S300. Last week at my home course, I decided to try the new Apex CF16 after reading this thread. The demo 7 iron in the shop had the stock XP 95 S300. Took it to the course and have been absolutely amazed with this combo. I've hit it off the tee on par 4's, played longer tees on the par 3's and used it for approach shots on par 5's. With 83-85 mph 7 iron SS, I'm consistently hitting it 180-185 yards confirmed by my rangefinder. No issues AT ALL with dispersion and I usually fight excess side spin. To further test, I had a session at my local shop using their Foresight GC2 launch monitor. 17* launch, 118-120 mph ball speed, carry 176-178 and rolling out to around 185. Total spin was in the 4700-4800 using the shops demo balls. On the course, I've had no problems holding green on pretty firm greens.

I'm sold. Just bought a set off the BST from another member yesterday and can't wait to hit though all the irons in the set.

What about the Apex SW

I'll grant that it's a possibility. Haven't seen one in person. Anyone know how an Apex SW plays from around the greens and sand as well as from the fairways?

i will be able to tell you in a couple weeks. There was too much of a distance gap between my CF16 AW and Taylormade EF 56. There is one par 3 at my club where I used the RSi2 AW for the front pin positions and PW for the back pin positions. The CF16 AW now reaches the back pin positions. I ordered a CF16 SW which I plan to use for full shots and longer chips. I will put my Taylormade EF 60 in my bag for sand shots and when I short side myself off the green. But I will try the CF16 SW out of the sand just to see how it performs.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft