2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Callaway Apex CF16 - BEST. IRONS. EVER......

Ripken08

Does anyone know the significance of the color of the paint in the apex where it says "Forged CF16"?

I have green paint in mine, seen a set with white, black, and yellow. All satin not apex black.

I believe the paint fill color is related to the setup of the club. Mine are red, and are 2* upright.

Lol well according to the chart above you may be 2 flat

I'm growing more and more comfortable with these. Short irons are really starting to fire at pins. Is there a cf16 putter?

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I hit my i20s very well but am somewhat interested in the CF16s. I would increase my distance with each club 5 to 10 yards (I have demo-ed the CF16s) with the CF16 but would be hard pressed to hit the CF16s any better. However, just like everyone else on this board, I would be very interested in playing new irons if it would improve my scores. Here's my question: would moving form i20s to CF16s be the right move?

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

I hit my i20s very well but am somewhat interested in the CF16s. I would increase my distance with each club 5 to 10 yards (I have demo-ed the CF16s) with the CF16 but would be hard pressed to hit the CF16s any better. However, just like everyone else on this board, I would be very interested in playing new irons if it would improve my scores. Here's my question: would moving form i20s to CF16s be the right move?

I find 1/2 club more distance with the Apex over my Pings (G). Lofts are virtually identical. I'm more accurate with the Gs. So right now, I'm keeping them.

Distance - check out the lofts between the 2. If the Apex is 1-2* stronger, that's (at least most of) the difference.

Accuracy - all things being equal, if your DISPERSION is better with the Apex, get them. If not keep the i20s. Half a club in distance is usually not worth a wider dispersion pattern.

Just my opinion.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

I find 1/2 club more distance with the Apex over my Pings (G). Lofts are virtually identical. I'm more accurate with the Gs. So right now, I'm keeping them.

Distance - check out the lofts between the 2. If the Apex is 1-2* stronger, that's (at least most of) the difference.

Accuracy - all things being equal, if your DISPERSION is better with the Apex, get them. If not keep the i20s. Half a club in distance is usually not worth a wider dispersion pattern.

Just my opinion.

How is the forgiveness and trajectory compared to the G's?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I'm in the same boat. Have i20s and like them. Been looking at the CF16 and Possibly the G. Concern with the G is the offset which I normally don't like.

Just my opinion.

How is the forgiveness and trajectory compared to the G's?

Firstly, all this is on a LM.

Forgiveness, of course, is hard to measure but I think the Apex might be slightly better distance-wise. I find my hits that feel further off center appear seem to travel a bit further with the CFs than with the G but dispersion seems (I'm not recording every shot nor the results) slightly wider.

Trajectory is something I don't really pay too much attention to. I don't check that number out on the LM. I have always been a high ball hitter and even Dynamic Golds seem to have plenty of height for me. IF I noticed a particularly high launch on a consistent basis, as opposed to my somewhat inconsistent swing (I'm a 5) with a particular shaft I'd probably look at that number; otherwise not.

Hope this helps.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

I hit them today, both steel and graphite standard shafts. Great results, I just wish they weren't clicky. Clearly, feel is very subjective. I want to put these irons in the bag...

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

hmmm, money is coming together.... 5 - aw maybe

If you find a set on Callaway preowned try code 15XEM and see if it gives you a discount.

Thanks Bimmer! I used the code and got a nice $155 off of my set of Apex CF16's. Got the 4-PW, AW with graphite shafts. Suffered a nasty wrist injury so I'm going with the graphite and cushy winn grips to try and alleviate some of that impact. Really appreciate it!!

I hit these w/ProjectX the other day at soon-to-be-bankrupt Golfsmith. Felt awesome and were long, for me, anyway. I might have pulled the trigger right then and there had my wife not been waiting for me across the street at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Holy Crap, we have a world internet golf site here, and if you were talking about the Golfsmith in Boca Raton, I was hitting that same demo 7 iron CF16, last night too. Although, I cant get them to perform any better than my awesome 716 AP1's

I hate bed bath beyond.

Same here........they put them too close to Golfsmith and Golf Galaxy Stores.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I really like the 5i in the set. I like all the clubs really, but the 5i is killer for me. I also seem to hit the 9 and PW really well. Dive bomb the pins on these. Wish I could putt.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I really like the 5i in the set. I like all the clubs really, but the 5i is killer for me. I also seem to hit the 9 and PW really well. Dive bomb the pins on these. Wish I could putt.

The more and more I play them the better I get at striking them and according to my gamegolf my 5i distance is now creeping up to 209 "typical" and my 4i is 212. Then I see 6i sitting at 201 and im like ??. It could be I am not striking the 4i as well but I also notice the gap in loft is smaller between 4i and 5i than the gap in the rest of the set.

I have two thoughts in my brain now:

Drop 4i, bend 5i to 23*

or

Bend 4i to 20*, bend 5i to 23*

My 3H is a 230 club so I need the 4i to be more around 220 if the 5i is gonna be 210

The more and more I play them the better I get at striking them and according to my gamegolf my 5i distance is now creeping up to 209 "typical" and my 4i is 212. Then I see 6i sitting at 201 and im like ??. It could be I am not striking the 4i as well but I also notice the gap in loft is smaller between 4i and 5i than the gap in the rest of the set.

Drop 4i, bend 5i to 23*

or

My 3H is a 230 club so I need the 4i to be more around 220 if the 5i is gonna be 210

I went 5-AW and APEX 23*. I hit the 5 iron around 195-205yds. The Apex 23* is around 210-220yds.

hmmm, money is coming together.... 5 - aw maybe

If you find a set on Callaway preowned try code 15XEM and see if it gives you a discount.

I just started a thread where I am hemming and hawing(SP?) between Cobra and the Callaway combo sets. Then you go and post that code. I apply it to the irons in my cart, and voila! It worked for me too. Now I have my cart up and my finger hovering over the buy button.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 4 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

4-PW, AW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Steel

I will re-shaft with the Recoil 110 - F5's that are currently in my Bridgestone J40's depending upon how the NIppon shafts perform.

I know, fitting, fitting, fitting, blah, blah, blah.

I was not going to find a set of irons with Recoil 110's with the PW and 9 iron as long as I like them(36.5) and then only 1/4 increments up from there not too mention F5 soft stepped once. The NIppons were the only shafts that were in the same range of flex that I wanted, so I will try them out and see if they can cut it for a few rounds before pulling the shafts and putting the Recoils in the irons.

I worry about the distance gapping on the lower end of the clubs a bit. I currently play a 52, 56, and 60 wedge and do constant 4* lofts through the set. So this will be......different with 5* in the short irons. A few may get bent to get everything correct.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 4 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Drop 4i, bend 5i to 23*

or

The distance gap is small Because the lofts of the set are so stinking strong and the longer clubs lofts are unusually close together at only 2.5 degrees apart.

The stock 3 is 19, 4 is 21.5, and 5 is 24, then it goes to 3 degrees difference at the 6 to 27.

I can't stand how strong they are so I Bent all of mine weak EXCEPT the 4. Took it to 21 even.

5-25

6-29

7-33

8-37

9-42

P-47

A-52

I still wish the gaps were tighter in the the short irons, but the gapping works ok. I didn't want to weaken them anymore and add anymore bounce. I like bounce in my clubs. Always been a digger, but at some point you can definitely have too much. Weakening beyond 2 degrees the bounce becomes too pronounced.

I've only hit the clubs 3 times so far, but i think this is where the lofts will stay.

I will re-shaft with the Recoil 110 - F5's that are currently in my Bridgestone J40's depending upon how the NIppon shafts perform.

I was not going to find a set of irons with Recoil 110's with the PW and 9 iron as long as I like them(36.5) and then only 1/4 increments up from there not too mention F5 soft stepped once. The NIppons were the only shafts that were in the same range of flex that I wanted, so I will try them out and see if they can cut it for a few rounds before pulling the shafts and putting the Recoils in the irons.

I worry about the distance gapping on the lower end of the clubs a bit. I currently play a 52, 56, and 60 wedge and do constant 4* lofts through the set. So this will be......different with 5* in the short irons. A few may get bent to get everything correct.

If your J40's and your recoils are taper tip you will want to buy some shims. Apex are parrellel .370 hosel.

If your J40's and your recoils are taper tip you will want to buy some shims. Apex are parrellel .370 hosel.

Wow. All this time and up to post 330 and NOBODY mentioned this ?!?!?! Interesting,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ping Glide Pro 48*