Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Never had a left going left issue.

a6ab76cb-f56e-4f49-b660-804bbc197f8f_tex

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

6 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

If not for JB Weld I might still be 80 miles deep in the Gunnison NF high backcountry after I managed to run the only stick around, at pretty much timberline, through my right dirt bike radiator. None of us had tow straps that day (stupid - but you haven’t lived until you tow a dead bike out over rough single track). 

Hole patched (sort of), radiators refilled w/ pure Rocky Mtn spring water (good enough for Pete Coors). On our way - with several refill stops. 

Got out right at dark. 

I patched many a radiator at the race track with the 2 piece putty quick dry JB Weld

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

4 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

first adventure with 110° tomorrow. last wednesday forecast was for 100°, but naturally it was 106°.

i did ok, though. same system in place for tomorrow.

we’re going 110°-115° from here on out. and that’s earlier in the year than usual.

have a hat with flaps to keep the remaining parts of my ears from melting. dunk it in freezing cold water in the cooler, wring it out and it feels great.

solo of arabia with my new golf cart.

image.jpeg

Yeah I just put my little fan I use on the cart on charge. It surprised me. It had not been used or charged since like October. Still had a charge. It runs on a USB port or by itself. We do have USB ports on our carts but at best they can be sketchy some work some do not. It also depends on whom I ride with. Some guys have electric range finders and cell phones playing music and take up the 2 USB ports. 

On a related point. During my practice session yesterday I did not bother to use my range finder. I know the course anyhow and rarely use it. I was eyeballing my shots up good anyhow. Most of the time I use it to give others yardage. Today it is staying at home if anyone asks the battery is dead. Lately I have been getting caught up in how far I do NOT hit it yardage wise instead of concentrating on what I need to pull to get the job done. On my vintage rounds I do not even carry it and I do just fine. I will see how it goes today

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

You described me to a T.  🤣.  Never had a left going left issue.  I did start as an adult. 

My old man had small hands and started me off with an interlock grip. His good friend James Black was a Pro. He told the Old Man when I was like 14 that my hands were already big and I needed to go to an over lap grip. That was the only person he ever let change me. James taught me a neutral grip because he was old school and knew I had picked up manipulating the club with my hands. Never have changed it.

James was one of the Pros on the GC show Uneven Fairways. Had a colorful history on the PGAT briefly. But he did bring along some great African American players like Nate Starks and Calvin Peete. He has videos on U Tube. I watch them from time to time. When I discovered those videos I was watching one night and my wife remarked "he holds the club exactly like you do" I told her NO I held the club like he does that is the man that taught me my grip and I never departed from it. Only thing I did not re do when I changed my swing. Never have never will.

My Old Man was great friends with him and some of those guys. My Old man backed those guys in matches. What was funny was when Uneven Fairways aired I knew 99% of those guys from the old Charlotte days. 

Footnote--- We lost James last year at the ripe old age of 82 last year

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

i played in those games when they moved to plantation, they got kicked out of there, then colony west in the early 80’s. peete had moved up to the tour, but plenty of money was changing hands with moe, evel knievel, joe namath, dean martin, marty (the fatman) stanovich and hogan tour guys and wannabe guys. i went down the stretch in one match shooting 29 on the back, shot for shot, tying against a guy who won later on the hogan tour and asian tour. he was a college all american then.

— damn, just looked him up and he died in 2017 at 48 years old. damn. he was a good guy.

Small world. I did not play a lot of golf when I lived down there, all I did was work, and fish when I could. The times I played, I loved Jacaranda, and I generally hate Florida golf. Never played Colony West.

There was another group I played in there with my coworker maybe six times or so. I wasn’t playing enough to get with the Bandit crew more than once. That was a costly round….they saw me coming. 

• Like 4

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

50 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

that’s the last time i look up someone i used to know. they’re always dead.

if you have any requests, ex-wives, business partners, etc., let me know and i’ll look ‘em up for you.

Compiling an extensive list. BRB.

• Haha 4

A bag off the beaten path:

Driver: Turner H7 at 12 degrees, 43.5"

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3UI: Adams Pro DHy

4UI: Turner 239

Irons: (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges: (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

In the bullpen:  3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used)

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

aen! Wutya think this groove?

That guy is Zappa of the bass.  Just love him/them.  First time I had heard of them they were opening for Jane's in '90 in Denver and some kid crawled up the scaffolding to the side of the stage.  Of course the venue shut it down until they could get the kid down, but I could hear Les saying, "Here kitty, kitty" over the din of the others yelling for the kid to get down.  If I remember correctly, that was 34 years ago, it was also the show immortalized on Jane's Kettlewhistle album where Perry is asking about the Birkenstock and fashion.  Once he got hit, he sat on the stage and sang happy birthday until the kid was removed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

aen! Wutya think this groove?

My old buddy Tim? You kiddin me? One of my favorite guys and drummers ever. 

That's Tom Waits doing the voice of Tommy. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

That guy is Zappa of the bass.  Just love him/them.  First time I had heard of them they were opening for Jane's in '90 in Denver and some kid crawled up the scaffolding to the side of the stage.  Of course the venue shut it down until they could get the kid down, but I could hear Les saying, "Here kitty, kitty" over the din of the others yelling for the kid to get down.  If I remember correctly, that was 34 years ago, it was also the show immortalized on Jane's Kettlewhistle album where Perry is asking about the Birkenstock and fashion.  Once he got hit, he sat on the stage and sang happy birthday until the kid was removed.

Good memories! One of my favorite concert memories is from the Texxas Jam ‘79 - damn, it’s been 45 years! I’m somewhere just outside of the water’s reach. Every now and then we’d get some mist. Crazy hot and you couldn’t move. Kids not only climbed the scaffolding in the picture, but also the poles around the field that had loudspeakers mounted on top. The next year, those poles were greased so no one could climb them.

image.jpeg.5bd090ea3058b5d9b93d1772aec0cc6e.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, aenemated said:

a6ab76cb-f56e-4f49-b660-804bbc197f8f_tex

Put your palms together thumb nails  pointing at your chin. Grip the club.  You cant hit a hook from there.  🤣…right palm hits the ball.  Like a ping pong Racquet.  

Now I’m not advocating that grip for everyone. But it coupled with an upright swing will hit it straighter than straight.  

disclaimer - this grip for you may produce weak fades , or slices.  And may cause depression and quitting the game.  Buyer beware. 🤣

• Like 1

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

19 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Crazy good and the bass is off the charts! 

There is a story where Metallica was looking for a bass player, and Les walked in.  After the audition they didn't hire him, telling him he was too good and he should start his own band.  I don't know if it is 100% accurate, but I can believe it because they/Metallica seem like regular guys who just happened to make it huge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Crazy good and the bass is off the charts! 

I mean it's freakin Les Claypool.

When he just grooves ... 

BTW ... there's Tom then there's every other musician that ever existed ever. His "worst" work is better than anyone else's best. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aenemated said:

I mean it's freakin Les Claypool.

When he just grooves ... 

BTW ... there's Tom then there's every other musician that ever existed ever. His "worst" work is better than anyone else's best. 

Tom who?

🤣

• Haha 3

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

13 hours ago, mshills said:

100%   My L arm is not usable for golf. I am grateful I did not lose it because I can still do a lot with it — cook, type, etc., but the elbow is locked in place at about 100 degrees, it won’t move and never will move. So I need to get the arm out of the way. I pin it behind me with my fist in my lower back. It’s out of the way, and it gives a nice stretch that feels good to my ornery L shoulder. But it also means I’m prone to setting up with lower body square and upper body turned open a good 15 degrees or more. So alignment is FUBAR and hard to recover the shot. It’s so important and really hard to stress enough! I’ve got a couple ideas on how to solve, we will see how it goes. 

@BIG STU I loved Cal Peete back in the day. That dude knew how to look good on the course, and he was just as quiet and unassuming / humble a person as his red pants were 🔥. He had game. When I lived in Miami I liked to play at Jacaranda in Plantation, and one of the big standing mens groups, The Bandits, said that Cal was a regular part of that group and made a LOT of money in those games in the 70s. I can tell you first hand those guys were some thieves and would get in your wallet. Definitely got in mine. Anyhow, I’m not sure I ever saw Peete miss a fairway. That guy was so precise off the tee it was incredible.  

Oh yes I heard stories about the Bandits. Some of those guys came up from time to time and played in Charlotte. Saw Calvin play a bunch of times. As my old man used to say he could hit a driver down the lines on a highway. Now he could not straighten his left arm because as a kid he fell from a tree and the arm was improperly set. LOL after he went on tour and made some money he had Diamond caps put in his front 2 teeth. When he smiled which he did 99% of the time his teeth really shined

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Oh yes I heard stories about the Bandits. Some of those guys came up from time to time and played in Charlotte. Saw Calvin play a bunch of times. As my old man used to say he could hit a driver down the lines on a highway. Now he could not straighten his left arm because as a kid he fell from a tree and the arm was improperly set. LOL after he went on tour and made some money he had Diamond caps put in his front 2 teeth. When he smiled which he did 99% of the time his teeth really shined

I don’t know if it’s apocryphal by this point or if it could be verified, but if he really did hit ONE ball out of bounds in his entire Tour career that is absolutely nuts. If true about anyone it would have to have been Peete!

The last few years of his life didn’t seem to have been really good. That is sad, he seemed like one of the good dudes and how he got into golf, how could that ever have happened? Well, I know how it happened but I don’t want to get this thread 🔒

• Like 4

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Just now, mshills said:

I don’t know if it’s apocryphal by this point or if it could be verified, but if he really did hit ONE ball out of bounds in his entire Tour career that is absolutely nuts. If true about anyone it would have to have been Peete!

The last few years of his life didn’t seem to have been really good. That is sad, he seemed like one of the good dudes and how he got into golf, how could that ever have happened? Well, I know how it happened but I don’t want to get this thread 🔒

Oh I know the story too. I met him when James Black brought him up from Florida along with Nate Starks. Nate was a little guy with Coke Bottle glasses but was long with the driver and one heck of a short game. He played a set of 67 Bird on the Ball Top Flites loaded down with lead tape. He loved Sweet Potato Pie and my Step Mom made him one when he was around. In fact my Old Man nicknamed him "Tater Pie"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well my experiment paid off well today. Shot 80 which was not bad considering our greens are shot. We had ditches on them where they were Verdi Cut last Wednesday. I guess the wind blew the sand off the greens plus we have little grass and fungus. To put it into perspective we had 12 players today so we played 4 3 somes. That works well playing 2 best net plus a birdie pool. Now I would say the highest handicap was maybe 15 and we had some single digits too. According to the old timers this has never happened. No one made a birdie so everyone got their birdie pool money back. I was a 11 for today our scores may change daily on our system and we must post every day

Good Example out 12th hole is a sharp dog leg left. Normally hit the 7 wood off the tee and it leaves me 140 in. The last few days I have been hitting the 9 wood because our fairways are sparse and baked out. I hit a pop up 9 wood and barely cleared the creek but it still ran some. The second shot was tricky and I knew I could not turn it enough to clear that creek again which crosses that hole 2 times. I laid up with my 58*. Had 138 in and pulled the little hybrid. Hit a good shot that ended 2 inches from the hole. Both of my partners both good players hit the green in regulation. Both 3 putted from like 15 and 20 feet respectively. What surprised me was I never 3 putted all day but had some up and down putts from like 5 feet of so that hopped and skidded to say the least. My experiment with no range finder worked well. I hit my distances well if I missed I was usually pin high

I was not planning to play the League tomorrow but I played with the VP of the league today. He asked me to sign in so he could make up even teams. So I decided to do so because he is a good guy. Some of our members have went back up North for the summer and some are refusing to play because of course conditions. The guys who are Gold Card members have to pay $38 for 18 and a cart and they refuse to pay that when the course is in this bad of shape. Right now with local summer specials they can play other courses in better shape for around the same price. I do not blame them. With my membership it does not cost me squat for greens or cart fees. I know today there was hardly anyone playing besides us and we played in like 3 1/2 hours. I know when I was leaving the owner asked me how many we had today? I told him 12. All of us were on the same membership package I am on so no cash revenue there

They are supposed to close for 3 days week after next to aerify and Lord only knows what else. 

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Put your palms together thumb nails  pointing at your chin. Grip the club.  You cant hit a hook from there.  🤣…right palm hits the ball.  Like a ping pong Racquet.  

Now I’m not advocating that grip for everyone. But it coupled with an upright swing will hit it straighter than straight.  

disclaimer - this grip for you may produce weak fades , or slices.  And may cause depression and quitting the game.  Buyer beware. 🤣

Well, dang.  Just tried that and the grip looked real familiar.  Explains why I have issues hitting any sort of draw and my fade is about 5 yards.  Guess I'll just have to live with bombing fairways.  🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS driver

Srixon ZX 3 & 7 fairway woods

Epon AF-302 irons 5-PW

Fourteen DJ-5 50*/54* wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

Sun Mountain mid-stripe stand bag

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball