Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

> @Reasonability said:

> > @scotee said:

> > So did any of you see the Peter Kostis analysis of "Motion Capture" technology. They showed that the fastest point in a golf swing with driver was about 18 inches before impact. On the example with Brooks Koepka he was at 126 mph max and down to 120 mph at impact. Interesting. That is a 6 mph deceleration in just 18 inches. They teach us to have the fast spot in our swing just after impact but that does not happen. He did say that the fastest swingers had the max speed closer to impact than slower swingers. So when Trackman says 120 measured at impact, the speed was higher before that. That would be interesting to see in our swings.

> >

> > Edit to add: Does that mean if you swing one of those clubs that measure club head speed, that you have to subtract 5 or 6 mph to get a true at impact speed?

>

> The following is my story, and I'm sticking to it - lol. Any/all are welcome to disagree.

>

> There's two separate things going on during a downswing that primarily determine clubhead speed at any point we choose to measure it.

>

> A. The golfer ... Mind-numbing variables from his application of wrist hinge, sequencing, release pattern. A gamut of terms this gang would shoot me for unpacking. They'd drop me dead where I stand for sure.

>

> B. The club ... The shaft loads up, flexing when it does. The clubhead resultingly lags a bit behind the handle. That moment of highest loading creates a temporary deceleration which is made up for when the shaft subsequently unloads this stored (flex) energy.

>

> It's conceivable I suppose parts A and B possibly could combine to create the situation Peter Kostis mentions. Possibly.

>

> I love old Peter. He's battled cancer. He's a well known coach. Walks inside the ropes with a small radio station strapped on his back. Earned his stripes.

>

> Peter sometimes trips on his own attempt to apply technology to technique. I feel pretty sure I've seen him misappropriate both by protracting partial information into leaping conclusions. When he does, he confuses people with info that isn't IMHO always exactly true. And this gang would kill me again for ranting about those specifics. It's just my opinion anyway but it's a discussion I'd gladly have in the right venue.

>

> Bottom line - Peter showed something that's "possible" if and only if certain golfers with specific swing styles are attached to certain sensors while swinging certain shafts. I don't see it as changing the world of golf anytime soon.

>

> More on shaft loading and swing styles should anyone care to see it for grins:

>

>

>

Noted the Kostis segment when I was viewing the recording of the broadcast later in the evening. What I didn't hear explained (and I've not watched it a second time). What accounted for the 6 mph deceleration at impact? That seems to be a marginally significant loss of speed in a short distance. And would us average Joe's have a greater loss? To early in the morning to try and think this through.

Further. In all my golfing years, can't say I've ever experienced the sensation of "loading and unloading" a shaft. Maybe it happens and I don't realize it. Always been something of a mystery when I read about this mystical property of shaft flexing. On second thought, maybe I did. When I tried the Mrs. driver once. Felt whippy.

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Saw CBS is broadcasting from 9:00 am on. First year for all day coverage, I think?

Walked 16 holes yesterday, with all Ping. My 5,7,8, PW from 1975, laminate 3,5 woods, and putter, in a Pingman original carry bag. I hit the ball very well, putted poorly. Those laminates perform just as well as anything made today. Went home, my neighbor asked if I'd watch Penny overnight, the family went on an overnighter. So, we watched the Masters together.

I put on a tie, and my sleeveless windshirt for the festivities.

Looking forward to the same today.

• Like 2

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @Reasonability said:

> > Just experienced something (not for the first time), I've heard so many others report.

> >

> > Maybe 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back spent typing a post. Got up for a bio-break and returned to read it in full for the first time.

> >

> > LMAO, it was a disconnected, mis-directed, poorly worded, confusing, useless mess. Heck I wrote it and couldn't follow along. A stream of consciousness gone wrong.

> >

> > Deleted it in it's entirety. Crash avoided.

>

> That is SOP for me--- I have trouble conveying my thoughts to written or typed text--- I am more of a hands on show you guy---- Now if I get technical a few like you or De Ninny can understand what I am talking about and so can Bladehunter. I think Rad deciphers my technical stuff pretty well too. That is why I do not write a lot of detailed technical stuff. I could do an article about the changes I made on my rusty Scotty yesterday but it would take me 2 hours to post and maybe you 4 could understand it. Basically I got the yips and I am getting older so I had to do some old f-a-r-t modifications. I have done a lot of experimentation all this year. I have around 100 putters of all types and vintages. Did not want to admit it but it was the Indian not the arrow. Basically I lengenther it from my standard 33" to 35" using an Bullseye fluted shaft for stability. Messed with the loft and lie and installed a long SS Traxion Tour 3.0 XL grip with the counterbalance system. I an using a modified claw type grip with my hands. Worked with it on the practice green for about 2 hours yesterday morning getting the balance and feel right. ROTFLMAO got some puzzled looks from the touron crowd because I had my little gym bag out with the lead tape and SS counterweight kit in it. Also had my old school SW scale set up by the starter stand not to check SW but to check balance. Went back out around 5:00 or so when all the tourist had went home or to eat and putted to dark think I have it dialed in. Made a lot of putts 6 feet and in which has been my nemesis recently. I can still chip and my short irons are ok but putting from 10 feet in has been killing me. I will do some more evaluation this afternoon if it does not rain

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Got no issue with the non-typical pairings and starting times for today. Whatever is required to get the tournament completed (hopefully) before the weather rolls in. Assuming the the contenders will still finish on 18. Should be enjoyable viewing. Hoping the final group will play as well as they did yesterday. Molinari has developed into a rock solid ball striker. Every shot of his seems to be in position. And was interesting when the commentary mentioned how he totally revamped his putting stroke. Tony's got game, tons the ball, and by all appearances is a class act. Can easily root for guys like that. TW is TW, like him or hate him. Give credit to the man for getting his game back to the level of being able to compete in tournaments of this magnitude. I'm OK with this group distancing themselves from the pack, creating a three man shootout for the W.

• Like 2

> @Wriggles said:

> Saw CBS is broadcasting from 9:00 am on. First year for all day coverage, I think?

> Walked 16 holes yesterday, with all Ping. My 5,7,8, PW from 1975, laminate 3,5 woods, and putter, in a Pingman original carry bag. I hit the ball very well, putted poorly. Those laminates perform just as well as anything made today. Went home, **my neighbor asked if I'd watch Penny overnight, the family went on an overnighter. So, we watched the Masters together.

> I put on a tie, and my sleeveless windshirt for the festivities.**

> Looking forward to the same today.

>

>

I can envision this in my mind's eye quite easily with the vintage Ping clubs nestled in the corner to complete the image. It brings a smile to my face. A true Norman Rockwell moment. :smile:

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yesterday was our Anniversary; 34 years of wedded bliss. We went out for dinner at one of the oldest established restaurants in the city. The sort of place where all the servers have been there most of their working lives. Most of the patrons were of a similar vintage to ourselves; those who appreciate fine food and first class service with a traditional menu of steakhouse staples. It did not disappoint.

This is the sort of place where they expect you to be there for a leisurely 2 1/2 to 3 hour meal rather than processing you out the door as quickly as possible to bring in the next. I find it's easy to tell the difference as many of the trendy fusion cuisine stops have some of the most uncomfortable seating that you can possibly imagine versus a well shaped and supported leather covered dinning room chair. There's no school like old school! :wink:

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> Yesterday was our Anniversary; 34 years of wedded bliss. We went out for dinner at one of the oldest established restaurants in the city. The sort of place where all the servers have been there most of their working lives. Most of the patrons were of a similar vintage to ourselves; those who appreciate fine food and first class service with a traditional menu of steakhouse staples. It did not disappoint.

>

> This is the sort of place where they expect you to be there for a leisurely 2 1/2 to 3 hour meal rather than processing you out the door as quickly as possible to bring in the next. I find it's easy to tell the difference as many of the trendy fusion cuisine stops have some of the most uncomfortable seating that you can possibly imagine versus a well shaped and supported leather covered dinning room chair. There's no school like old school! :wink:

Happy anniversary Sco, hope the day was all you wished for, sounds like my type of eating house. Don’t usually eat out anymore as we can’t stand the atmosphere in the modern restaurants.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

It has been a fairly busy week around these parts trying to knock off a bit of yardwork and getting the tires switched over. Man am I sore! Much better this morning than last night. Going to need a couple of days to recover. The raking was the worst, especially with a stiff breeze yesterday. Can't have the lawn left shaggy again in the fall.

In the afternoon we went to my buddy, Dave's 65th birthday party. Got to see a couple of my old bowling buddies too. Three of us agreed to play (at golf) on Wednesdays this summer. Dave and Ron will make it a weekly affair and I will join when I'm up to it. I'm actually looking forward to it even if I only do the front nine with them and then take my leave at that point.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Wriggles said:

> Saw CBS is broadcasting from 9:00 am on. First year for all day coverage, I think?

> Walked 16 holes yesterday, with all Ping. My 5,7,8, PW from 1975, laminate 3,5 woods, and putter, in a Pingman original carry bag. I hit the ball very well, putted poorly. Those laminates perform just as well as anything made today. Went home, my neighbor asked if I'd watch Penny overnight, the family went on an overnighter. So, we watched the Masters together.

> I put on a tie, and my sleeveless windshirt for the festivities.

> Looking forward to the same today.

>

>

Now you have to sue for permenant ownership of penny, always sounded as if she would rather be with you. ?

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @Reasonability said:

> > Just experienced something (not for the first time), I've heard so many others report.

> >

> > Maybe 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back spent typing a post. Got up for a bio-break and returned to read it in full for the first time.

> >

> > LMAO, it was a disconnected, mis-directed, poorly worded, confusing, useless mess. Heck I wrote it and couldn't follow along. A stream of consciousness gone wrong.

> >

> > Deleted it in it's entirety. Crash avoided.

>

> That is SOP for me--- I have trouble conveying my thoughts to written or typed text--- I am more of a hands on show you guy---- Now if I get technical a few like you or De Ninny can understand what I am talking about and so can Bladehunter. I think Rad deciphers my technical stuff pretty well too. That is why I do not write a lot of detailed technical stuff. I could do an article about the changes I made on my rusty Scotty yesterday but it would take me 2 hours to post and maybe you 4 could understand it. Basically I got the yips and I am getting older so I had to do some old **** modifications. I have done a lot of experimentation all this year. I have around 100 putters of all types and vintages. Did not want to admit it but it was the Indian not the arrow. Basically I lengenther it from my standard 33" to 35" using an Bullseye fluted shaft for stability. Messed with the loft and lie and installed a long SS Traxion Tour 3.0 XL grip with the counterbalance system. I an using a modified claw type grip with my hands. Worked with it on the practice green for about 2 hours yesterday morning getting the balance and feel right. ROTFLMAO got some puzzled looks from the touron crowd because I had my little gym bag out with the lead tape and SS counterweight kit in it. Alsi had my old school SW scale set up by the starter stand not to check SW but to check balance. Went back out around 5:00 or so when all the tourist had went home or to eat and putted to dark think I have it dialed in. Made a lot of putts 6 feet and in which has been my nemesis recently. I can still chip and my short irons are ok but putting from 10 feet in has been killing me. I will do some more evaluation this afternoon if it does not rain

Never had a problem understanding what you describe Stu, posts about your club alterations are always clear. Often imagine you standing there with a big hammer in your hand daring the clubs to defy you when I read the posts. I find the whole club alteration and fitting fascinating as I have never come across it on other golf blogs.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

The GOAT has returned! :astonished:

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Really enjoyed watching the Masters today. Major kudos to Tiger for persevering and coming ALL the way back. (No pun.) Feel kinda bad for Molinari. Playing so well, just a couple of bad shots at the most inopportune time. Can't rinse two balls on the back nine of the Masters.

Like these early in the day tournaments, frees up the rest of the afternoon. Pumped to go out and hit some golf balls. Oh snap, it's 34*, miserably gray, raining/snowing.

One point of reference to remember as the proclamations continue about TW's arduous journey back being historic. Ben Hogan had the near fatal car accident. Recovered, and won additional majors subsequently. Without the level of medical technology, rehabilitation and training that's available today. Never being able to play completely pain free the rest of his career. Different time and era. But still worth noting.

• Like 2

I don't think that Tiger was playing without pain in spite of the stoic facade. I saw him popping a pill on the 16th tee, so he was definitely hurting.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> Really enjoyed watching the Masters today. Major kudos to Tiger for persevering and coming ALL the way back. (No pun.) Feel kinda bad for Molinari. Playing so well, just a couple of bad shots at the most inopportune time. Can't rinse two balls on the back nine of the Masters.

>

> Like these early in the day tournaments, frees up the rest of the afternoon. Pumped to go out and hit some golf balls. Oh snap, it's 34*, miserably gray, raining/snowing.

>

> One point of reference to remember as the proclamations continue about TW's arduous journey back being historic. Ben Hogan had the near fatal car accident. Recovered, and won additional majors subsequently. Without the level of medical technology, rehabilitation and training that's available today. Never being able to play completely pain free the rest of his career. Different time and era. But still worth noting.

I heard Tiger say not that long ago that Hogan's comeback was the greatest in golf and maybe all

of sports given the medical technology of the time; so you are right on the money.

• Like 1

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> Really enjoyed watching the Masters today. Major kudos to Tiger for persevering and coming ALL the way back. (No pun.) Feel kinda bad for Molinari. Playing so well, just a couple of bad shots at the most inopportune time. Can't rinse two balls on the back nine of the Masters.

>

> Like these early in the day tournaments, frees up the rest of the afternoon. Pumped to go out and hit some golf balls. Oh snap, it's 34*, miserably gray, raining/snowing.

>

> One point of reference to remember as the proclamations continue about TW's arduous journey back being historic. Ben Hogan had the near fatal car accident. Recovered, and won additional majors subsequently. Without the level of medical technology, rehabilitation and training that's available today. Never being able to play completely pain free the rest of his career. Different time and era. But still worth noting.

Yes, I agree with all of this Fella, I like Molinari, and he is Mr. Calm. Set a good example of keeping it together throughout the tournament. I think he will continue to have a good year, he has been playing so well already, I'm looking to see his name at the top of the other majors as well. Hogan was amazing after his accident. And those guys back then didn't even work out, they'd rather have a smoke and a whiskey together I 'spose. And the medical world has improved light years it seems. You reminded me of a thing I used to say in our factory when I was trying to teach people to do things better or just think about continual improvement. Especially when I heard someone say 'we never used to have to do it that way before', and I would say 'yeah, and they never used to wash their hands before they operated on people either'... just makes me to think of how simple or simply dumb in some cases life used to be, and like you refer to the 'level of medical technology' or rehab is amazing...

• Like 2

We've just witnessed so many things we may never see again. Not like this.

Regardless of how you separate the person from the performer, one of the great comebacks in sports history just happened.

We watched what one man's focus "can be". And how that forced other players into a focus that "had to be." Moreso than ever.

Has there ever been a field that deep making the cut? Anyone ever remember so many contenders with a truly legit shot on Sunday?

Can't recall there being such a week rain and wind-wise to tame ANGC for so many consecutive days.

When's the last time the legendary 12th and 15th holes broke so many true contenders backs in such rapid fire succession?

Split tees and threesomes on Sunday. Don't remember that one happening. Been forever since 4 amateurs played Saturday and Sunday.

Highly pointed commentary by the AGNC urging ruling bodies to act on curbing long distance driving. (They're running out of real estate). That'll catalyze action leading to wild reactions.

But it was one remarkable Masters. One to remember. Now... let the games begin for a new season!

• Like 3

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)