Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

OK ... I might have given up my "man card" for the Prius, but I'm starting to think this might be the ULTIMATE golfers vehicle. Before all my other memberships (blade player, OGA initiate, etc) are pulled for said comment, let me explain. The Audi A3 on it's best day going 100% highway miles would get 30mpg. Around town (i.e. most driving for me) here in the hills I would get 24mpg. I just did a "trial loop" for 330 miles this week including 1 freeway (highway for those outside California) trip of 70 miles to see the parents, the weeks driving of the kid to school up higher in the hills, driving around to do errands, and some other various hill driving and went to fill up the tank. According to the gas gauge I hadn't hit the 1/2 tank mark (11.4 gal tank if I remember), the computer said 56.1mpg, and the "distance till empty" said 400 miles. The total fill was 5.555 gal for 59.405mpg.

Why does this sound like a golfers greatest vehicle? Simple: For those who want to save tons of money for playing golf, think of what it works out to per year in extra golf?? Not only that, but you get to play from the front tees AND play people for money! Sounds like quite a few rounds being saved... let's see how this works out.

... please don't revoke my memberships. ;)

LOL, hybrids seem like good deals. The all electric cars though........................I'm

just trying to picture cars stranded all over the place with dead batteries. It could

be ugly. If I was in the market for a new car I might go hybrid. Eff the man card

in that case. When someone calls you out just tell them you swapped the man

card for a smart card....59 mpg? Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Hybrids are certainly becoming more relevant as time passes. However, I still have a strong tendency to hook them. This seems to be a common tendency, why don't they make 1 or 2* open hybrids?

...........Perhaps all this signifies is another example of creative scoring because I have no idea how in God's green earth the winning team managed a -13 hitting all day into a 40 knot gale! Even the putts were moving right to left!

You know that you're beat down when it takes two shots to make it to the men's longest drive and then someone has the audacity to exclaim that a woman drove it past the men's marker from the forward tee! Yes I know, I'll have some cheese with my whine... :blush:

Scrambles and creative scoring go hand-in-hand I do believe. Brings to mind a similar circumstance from a couple of falls ago. Benefit scramble, late September, a rather raw and blustery day. The "Usual Suspects" and I were sorta mucking it around in the conditions. We don't have high expectations in such events, there just for the fun of it all. Anyway, we finished -2 IIRC. Middle of the pack. Most of the better scores on the day, were in the -7 (+/-) range. Then this one team comes in at -14!!!!!!

They were the group right in front of us. We were watching and waiting on them, for good portions of the round. They were OK sticks, but nothing that I would call extraordinary. Noticed that on occasion, they were playing shots that were well off the beaten path. And very few instances of demonstrable reactions that is typically the case when the "team" makes a birdie. Compared to the mean score of the day, the conditions, how we viewed them as playing, we called boolah on their posted score. You know when a team is playing well, and these guys weren't coming close to playing well enough for a -14.

One of the buds mentioned this to one of the organizers of the event. But was given just a shrug of the shoulders and "What do you want me to do?" response. I understand that. Evidently not many knew these individuals, so difficult to question their veracity. Again, not that big a deal. It wasn't like there was big money or a plethora of fabulous prizes to be won.

But if its that important to win, at all costs, then have at it. Don't let any guilt sully your conscience.

In scrambles, always have high hopes before the start. Attempt to play as well as possible, at least for the first nine. But after a point, and the "pressure", it starts slipping away. Come to the cruel realization that today isn't going to be the one. That we're just hacks in a playa's world. We then say to hell with it, relax, and start drinking beers.

Most scrambles here are "cheatfests" and there is one somewhere almost every weekend. There was a group of old farts that made at least one if not 2 every weekend. There was 8 to 12 of these old farts and they were winning almost all of them. I know some of them and individual wise no of them could break 90 from the senior tees on their own ball. Everyone got tired of them because they knew what was going on. More than once we tried to get them to play for some serious money on the stipulation they played in our group with us of course no takers. One tournament which is a big one for a big Catholic church here is well policed. They have so many members that every closest to the hole contest is monitored along with the long drive holes and they have folks watching on random holes and making notes. That bunch got caught one year and DQed all 3 teams! Needless to say they never entered again. One scramble I was asked to officiate by the host pro who is a friend of mine. He actually got some other pros to monitor also that same bunch. One of the old farts asked me why I was watching them so closely and I told him flat out because you guys have been caught cheating before and if I catch you you will be DQed in the wink of an eye. Needless to say none of that bunch won anything that day! I think they finally got the message I have not heard anything about them for a couple of years now at least on this end of the beach. Cheating was getting so rampart down here that it was actually hurting the charity putting on the scramble. I know several that were cancelled because of very few entries. Actually I had one lady I know call me in tears because an event they had heavily promoted got only 10 entries. I told her what was going on and that the head pro at the course that was hosting it was a friend of mine and I wold talk to him. We ended up doing a reschedule and in the promotion announced that it would be Policed and the written rules would be enforced. We got a lot of entries then and the "cheatfest crew" was no where to be found.

Cheating was the main reason for me stopping competitions and the temper tantrums finished it off, it was not just the waste of cash but the attitude of the cheaters. One older couple in stableford that my partner and I were playing with, wiped a least half the holes and then posted a score that won them the day. As I was not marking their cards I could not make any noise about it, made me more carefull from then on.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

OK ... I might have given up my "man card" for the Prius, but I'm starting to think this might be the ULTIMATE golfers vehicle. Before all my other memberships (blade player, OGA initiate, etc) are pulled for said comment, let me explain. The Audi A3 on it's best day going 100% highway miles would get 30mpg. Around town (i.e. most driving for me) here in the hills I would get 24mpg. I just did a "trial loop" for 330 miles this week including 1 freeway (highway for those outside California) trip of 70 miles to see the parents, the weeks driving of the kid to school up higher in the hills, driving around to do errands, and some other various hill driving and went to fill up the tank. According to the gas gauge I hadn't hit the 1/2 tank mark (11.4 gal tank if I remember), the computer said 56.1mpg, and the "distance till empty" said 400 miles. The total fill was 5.555 gal for 59.405mpg.

Why does this sound like a golfers greatest vehicle? Simple: For those who want to save tons of money for playing golf, think of what it works out to per year in extra golf?? Not only that, but you get to play from the front tees AND play people for money! Sounds like quite a few rounds being saved... let's see how this works out.

LOL, hybrids seem like good deals. The all electric cars though........................I'm

just trying to picture cars stranded all over the place with dead batteries. It could

be ugly. If I was in the market for a new car I might go hybrid. Eff the man card

Hybrids are certainly becoming more relevant as time passes. However, I still have a strong tendency to hook them. This seems to be a common tendency, why don't they make 1 or 2* open hybrids?

Love my hybrid, have a callaway 4 hybrid, goes forever with good contact, miss a couple during a round but mostly get it right.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Hole in one drinks rule, not all clubs do a house policy as some houses are very large and it would require a small loan. However, if you wittnessed or heard the noise associated with the hole in one, you should be part of the celebration. Being on the adjacent hole would mean an automatic need to celebrate with the lucky golfer.

Another point to consider, as all golfers yearn for the elusive HIO it will happen for many during their golfing life, a small amount should be saved each week so in the event of it happening the house rule can be used.

Thanks for the ruling tolmij! You handled that with aplomb! To late to collect on this one, but maybe the next one that comes along. ;)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Hole in one drinks rule, not all clubs do a house policy as some houses are very large and it would require a small loan. However, if you wittnessed or heard the noise associated with the hole in one, you should be part of the celebration. Being on the adjacent hole would mean an automatic need to celebrate with the lucky golfer.

Another point to consider, as all golfers yearn for the elusive HIO it will happen for many during their golfing life, a small amount should be saved each week so in the event of it happening the house rule can be used.

Thanks for the ruling tolmij! You handled that with aplomb! To late to collect on this one, but maybe the next one that comes along. ;)

It's my pleasure sir, it's an honour to be asked to serve in the grille ;)

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

A picture, to show that all Australian wildlife does not try to eat you, poison you or sting you.

We have a small Eco area adjacent to our outside eating area, this is one of the smaller species of tree frog taking the afternoon sun amongst the foliage. They are a good indicator that all is right.

https://imgur.com/a/SK7N4

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I had this one custom set square and it tends to track very well in the wind, on doglegs, and even up and downhill. Just pulled a 64 (mpg) going from my place up into the Magic Mountain area (up in the hills) and back. :)

In regards to the real bag, I think my hybrid will be leaving and being replaced with the 60 degree wedge that has been out for about 5 years now. I find it shorter than my 3 iron and it is a "2 iron" set to lowered loft too! I could use that 60 from the concrete traps I have played from recently... will have to get it back out there and see what can be done.

Actually Wishon (a component head maker) makes his adjustable and an authorized fitter can order you one bent like that from the factory

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Wonderful songs and entertainers there.. I always wondered about the Pips... I mean what was it like to be a Pip? I know most of them are gone now, but like when they were recording and stuff, and she was singing the main lines, and they were given the music, it was like "ok, she will sing 'mmmmm leavin' on that midnight train' then you guys sing "leaving on a midnight train- woohoo" and it will sound just like a train whistle"... so did they look at each other and think 'that's really dumb?' or did they think 'wow, that will be so cool?' and then do like five or six takes of 'woohoo'? And when people were talking about what they did for a living, and maybe one guy said "I'm an accountant", did they say "I'm a Pip".......... "what?"... "a Pip, you know with Gladys Knight" "oh, you had me worried there for a minute, that must be so cool" ..... "yeah, it's pretty cool alright"... :dntknw: just curious... I thought they were really good though, and I think they were related to her...

Bunker Play:

Generally during a scramble bunkers shouldn't be an issue. There will be an alternative shot.

The course we played at on the weekend was littered with bunkers and I have a distinct knack of finding them. The courses I normally play don't feature sand bunkers, but that never really swayed me as I've always been able to get out.

Saturday on a long par 3 we are faced with a choice. Do we play a blind shot up and over a mound to a green that runs away having to carry the shot the entire way or hit from out of the bunker at the foot of the green to an uphill slope? It's a deep bunker.

My mates aren't too thrilled with the options, but I like the bunker! They begrudgingly went along. The cart path rule was in effect so all I had to work with was a 52 and my putter. No problem; up and out, but the remaining putt was lonnnnng. I was the only one to get out... :(

I've hit lots of different clubs out of the bunker; hybrids, irons, wedges, whatever seemed reasonable based on the shot and depth of bunker. In most cases I figured it was a perfect lie. I certainly don't practice hitting out of them.

So what's the issue here? Lots of folks struggle with bunker play. Is it mostly between the ears?

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Sixty - there was some incident (seriously) I recall from way back in the memory files where one of the Pips actually came up missing for several days. I can't recall the whole story, only that it happened. But to your point - I too wondered how they handled this with the authorities. "Hey this is Gladys and I wish to report a missing Pip. He was last seen going whoohoo at the train station in an attempt to get it right." Can you imagine the cops on the other end of a "missing Pip" report?

Bunker play - IMO It is between the ears and just knowing that much helps. Shorter bunkers shots around the greenside actually allows you to hit a fat shot. The right technique actually has a fairly wide margin of error attached to it. Once that much is recognized it gets easier. The technique is a different in terms of thumping that sand, squatting down - widening the knees and a few such things. But once that part is rehearsed enough to trust it - again it becomes something no one should really fear.

But here's the kicker in my book. Sand is not some universally consistent animal for most golfers. How many of us see one bunker that's deep and full of dry fluffy white granite sand while the next hole it's dense, compacted, damp muddy stuff? The white granite sand is a very different animal than the brown sand often used to make brick mortar out of.

So I don't personally see bunker play itself as being nearly as intimidating as the consistency of the sand itself becoming a bigger challenge. The issue with that one is squarely on me. I'm too lazy to go practice the full variety of potential sand conditions found. So the bunker or two (at most) you find me personally practicing in is not truly representative of what I end up finding when a scorecard is in my pocket. And I own the fact I don't spend nearly enough time working on this aspect of the game to begin with.

Please give me consistency in these bunker conditions so I can stop whining about it. Cause I'm just too lazy to go practice the variety of different types of sand conditions which surely are going to be found out there. (This way I can transfer the blame for my lack of discipline to the grounds keeper rather than owning my laziness!) lol.

As to a 60 degree wedge. Mine is coming out. Never say "never" or "always" but I've gone for sometimes ten rounds of golf and not used it. I can't say that about any of the other sticks. It's a great stick when the shot truly calls for it and it's about the only viable solution. This almost never happens to me. It's simply representing a club that's taking up space in the bag on a practical level. This might be the local course conditions or something of the sort causing me to see it this way - but it's just not something I couldn't live without and there's plenty of room for me to explore hybrids or other sticks in that slot which would get far more swings.

My bunker play is that good I usually declare the stroke unplayable and take the penalty. When you play as badly as I do, another stroke does not really matter and yes it's definitely between the ears.

Often with the flatter bunkers I will use an 8 iron, I find I can get enough lift with good contact to move the ball out. Deeper bunkers cause me major problems as I have difficulty gauging where to contact the sand with a wedge, as scomac said conditions on the course vary so much during the same round, it's almost impossible to replicate them during practice.

Why have bunkers, they are only there because the Scottish people were too lazy to fill the holes in when they first started playing the game. :(

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Aha, Carly was the perfect one to sing "Nobody does it Better". Always liked

her voice and style and.........

It was great how she could do that song and also do "You're so Vain", lol.

Imagine if they had swapped those songs on one of the outtakes.

Carol Bayer Sager.......great songwriter. Carols write good songs. I think I

remember her and Burt Bacharach standing on the stage and receiving a

Grammy for "That's What Friends are For" and Bacharach opining that

the song brought his songwriting career back from the dead. His friend

Carol got him back in the game.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Actually Wishon (a component head maker) makes his adjustable and an authorized fitter can order you one bent like that from the factory

Heard many a good story about Tom's stuff. I don't recall ever seeing or hitting them in my life, but I would love to give them a shot sometime.

Lots of good female singers...

I always liked this song...

or live:

"That's the Way I Always Heard it Should Be" one of my favorites from her. Totally haunting.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

She smoked that song, and was some smoke job back then as were some of us lol. Great song.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Heard many a good story about Tom's stuff. I don't recall ever seeing or hitting them in my life, but I would love to give them a shot sometime.

I have met Tom before and he is a great guy. Like I said my buddy was a dealer for his components. Tom used to come on WRX from time to time over in some of the equipment forums. He does know his stuff about designing and setting up clubs. I have e mailed him before with questions and he has responded promptly. I actually posed a question on either here or another site because I had heard one of his new drivers at the time was deemed non-conforming. He promptly answered that yes that paticular one for some reason had fallen through the cracks so to speak and a few got out and I think they discontinued them.

Well guys it is back to the grind after 10 wonderful days of vacation. Went up today and checked my Big Truck is fueled and loaded for tomorrow. They even serviced it for me while I was on vacation. So during the week you will not hear that much from me but will check in from time to time and will catch up early on the weekend as usual. Gone to bed in a few 0400 comes mighty early

She smoked that song, and was some smoke job back then as were some of us lol. Great song.

Yes sir! All of us oldies in here were absolute STUDS in the 70s...we were

smokin' hot Qbro.

Now, look at us.......... and even worse.........look at Linda. OMG

SLED Gemini

Well guys it is back to the grind after 10 wonderful days of vacation. Went up today and checked my Big Truck is fueled and loaded for tomorrow. They even serviced it for me while I was on vacation. So during the week you will not hear that much from me but will check in from time to time and will catch up early on the weekend as usual. Gone to bed in a few 0400 comes mighty early

Don't work too hard bro. Gotta save some energy for retirement.

SLED Gemini

Stu puts a lot of himself out here on display. Such a cool guy.

Saw Linda R once in concert. No one could rock a flower behind one ear or don neckwear like her. What was so memorable about the one performance I was lucky to hear live was her dynamic range. College days FWIW. She stepped out to the edge of the stage and sang a tune a capella. Her little voice could crank it up with enough volume to fill that place - and back to a smaller/quieter voice - at will and with full control - no mic - just her and that voice. They say she's not in the best of health these days.

I saw Linda in concert once also. Twas in the days in the 70s.

Man, looking back she had so many good songs...I mean literally

dozens that I liked.....and I had many of her albums.

She's such a gifted singer whether she was singing "Mr. Radio" in

low tones or belting out "All That You Dream".

She did a couple Karla Bonoff songs that were really sad but great

songs. I had Karla's album. The songs were "Someone To Lay Down

Beside Me" and "Lose Again".

One of my faves of hers was JD Souther's "Faithless Love", which

she sang with him backing up. That album "Heart Like A Wheel", took

her to a new level IMO when I first heard "You're No Good".

I was a diehard fan of hers for many years and so I feel free to criticize

her for some things. I am sorry to hear she is not in good health. She took

her career to places that lost me as a fan and said things that alienated

much of her audience. Her choices.

I hope good health returns for her. I still think of her as one of the best of

all time when she was in her prime.

SLED Gemini

WRX has cost me a lot of money. I was just thinking about the clubs I was

playing when I first joined. I wish I was still playing with them now. I might

as well have thrown $10K in the fireplace.

You and me both brother! You and me both. :fool:

Of course now I just waste my money on classic clubs rather than the new stuff. :rolleyes:

Next project I'm toying with is being an early adopter Nike club collector. It's going to be an emerging tend! :smilie_nike:

Haha, make sure you get the first blades Nike Miura made.

Already started. I've got a set of square woods! :o

Pizza box on a stick. Ugly as an AMC Pacer :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Glad you had a nice vacay Stuey. Just got back from mine too. And yes back to the grind tomorrow.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

I got to play these two courses with the son in law on our family vacation. He went one over at Sandpines in a strong wind and two under at Salishan which was crazy low for that course. Me? I hit some very nice shots ;)

sandpines florence

salishan golf course

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

I got to play these two courses with the son in law on our family vacation. He went one over at Sandpines in a strong wind and two under at Salishan which was crazy low for that course. Me? I hit some very nice shots ;)

sandpines florence

salishan golf course

Wow, thems some awesome looking courses Scoster! It would be the same

for me. I would remember great days at great courses and some good shots

I hit, lol. It's all a matter of perspective. :)

SLED Gemini

WRX has cost me a lot of money. I was just thinking about the clubs I was

playing when I first joined. I wish I was still playing with them now. I might

as well have thrown $10K in the fireplace.

You and me both brother! You and me both. :fool:

Of course now I just waste my money on classic clubs rather than the new stuff. :rolleyes:

Next project I'm toying with is being an early adopter Nike club collector. It's going to be an emerging tend! :smilie_nike:

Haha, make sure you get the first blades Nike Miura made.

Already started. I've got a set of square woods! :o

Pizza box on a stick. Ugly as an AMC Pacer :)

Or a Nash Rambler. :taunt:

SLED Gemini

Be safe STU, your job keeps the country moving along.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)