2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Time to Step up Wilson (Amer Sports)

jjr

It's STAFF...

Friggin STAFF!!!

NOT Wilson!!!

STAFF's irons were in the bags of SIXTY-ONE Major Winners, NOT Wilson

STAFF has THE Most storried History Tradition & Heritage of ANY iron mamufacturer in the game.

NOT Wilson!!!

THIS is part of the problem-

A HUGE Part....

It would be like Cadillac forgetting their History Tradition and Heritage and going under the Chevy badge.

Wilson is a Sporting goods company

STAFF is a Legend.....

These idiots are just like the others from 1997 on-

They chose to bury and forget a History Tradition and Heritage that no amount of money can buy-

It has to be EARNED!!

Wilson didn't earn s***

STAFF did!!!

SIXTY-ONE TIMES!!!

If it's money, Staff loses. If you base it around being a part of a Legendary Staff roster and being part of a rebirth, and you show a montage of those legends through the decades, up to and including Paddy, ya just might have a shot-

Seriously....

Have a great weekend Gals & Gents :)

Staff Blades 4ever,

RP

Hmmm, not sure if you're being legit there or not.

And forgive my ignorance if you were extracting the urine.

Surely Wilson golf clubs (eg 8802 putter, Arnold Palmer putter etc) were Wilson stamped and not Wilson Staff? Is it not like Taylor Made Tour Preferred?

I've got a set of FG17's, first forged blade i ever owned, and think they are one of the best.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the new V6's

Though I loved the feel of the 4s, I could have done without the multi-color badging on the faceback. I think that it cheapens a world class iron.

I like the direction that they are going cosmetically with the 6's.

These are serious irons for serious Players and as such, they don't need all that garbage on the back.

Leave that to TBaG, lol

http://www.golfwrx.c...-tour-v6-irons/

Have a nice evening/day Gals & Gents :)

Fairways Greens & Staffs

RP

What were the Wilson Staff Goose neck model that was out around 1989-1991? I wanted a set of those so bad.

FG55?

It's STAFF...

Friggin STAFF!!!

NOT Wilson!!!

STAFF's irons were in the bags of SIXTY-ONE Major Winners, NOT Wilson

STAFF has THE Most storried History Tradition & Heritage of ANY iron mamufacturer in the game.

NOT Wilson!!!

THIS is part of the problem-

A HUGE Part....

It would be like Cadillac forgetting their History Tradition and Heritage and going under the Chevy badge.

Wilson is a Sporting goods company

STAFF is a Legend.....

These idiots are just like the others from 1997 on-

They chose to bury and forget a History Tradition and Heritage that no amount of money can buy-

It has to be EARNED!!

Wilson didn't earn s***

STAFF did!!!

SIXTY-ONE TIMES!!!

If it's money, Staff loses. If you base it around being a part of a Legendary Staff roster and being part of a rebirth, and you show a montage of those legends through the decades, up to and including Paddy, ya just might have a shot-

Seriously....

Have a great weekend Gals & Gents :)

Staff Blades 4ever,

RP

Hmmm, not sure if you're being legit there or not.

And forgive my ignorance if you were extracting the urine.

Surely Wilson golf clubs (eg 8802 putter, Arnold Palmer putter etc) were Wilson stamped and not Wilson Staff? Is it not like Taylor Made Tour Preferred?

I've got a set of FG17's, first forged blade i ever owned, and think they are one of the best.

Actually, with the exception of the those two putters, that was it for Wilson as far as Player quality clubs-

They made box sets and lesser clubs and basically retail store quality irons and woods.

I've mentioned it in other threads however the Arnold Palmer Putter and the 8802 were going to be moved to Staff and into the Pro Shops and with that move a higher price tag though the financial contract that Mr. Palmer had with Wilson was to stay the same as far as his cut and neither he nor his Father liked that one bit and that started what eventually led to Mr. Palmer's split with Wilson.

That ended the AP putter line and they ended up leaving the 8802 stamping as it was, "Wilson 8802" though it moved into the Pro Shops, up in price and out of the retail stores.

Yep, the 17's are definitely an Iconic iron and though I put em in the bag in '81, they were too long heel to toe for my eye and I went back to the '78 Tour Blades, which stayed in the bag till 1986, when I went with Mizzy(TP-9) though mid-season I went back to the Tour Blades and took my first Club later that year, lol.

Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous Year ahead Bro ?

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

My Dad has an original Wilson Arnold Palmer putter, with leather grip and i think it had a red and blue what looked like golf clubs inset into the butt of the grip. Would this be one of the last clubs that they made? He was offered £1000 for this putter by a gent at his club, back in about 1995 ish! Could be worth a few quid now.

My Dad has an original Wilson Arnold Palmer putter, with leather grip and i think it had a red and blue what looked like golf clubs inset into the butt of the grip. Would this be one of the last clubs that they made? He was offered £1000 for this putter by a gent at his club, back in about 1995 ish! Could be worth a few quid now.

Morning Bro, Happy New Year?

It sounds like your Father has the original edition based on your description of the grip cap.

They bring anywhere from $1000-1500US.

The flange was a little narrower than the 8802

I'm not sure about your question as it was not one of the last putters Wilson made as they continued to manufacture the 8802 though the AP model was discontinued from Wilson

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

This is my 8802(circa 1976, self-bought 16th BD gift) which I had in the bag the last half of 2012.

The bottom pic was from last year as Mr. Palmer and I were in the same hospital in Pgh(my father was one of his docs) about three weeks before his passing and we were waiting to get CT's and unbeknownst to me, Madison went back to my room, got my 8802 brought it back and while I was in getting my CT, got Mr. Palmer to sign it. This is the only autograph that I have ever gotten, from anyone. I may have it framed and hung in my library, I'm undecided. I also have an original 8813 that was my back-up that I could use.

Stay well My Friends?

RP

This is my 8802(circa 1976, self-bought 16th BD gift) which I had in the bag the last half of 2012.

The bottom pic was from last year as Mr. Palmer and I were in the same hospital in Pgh(my father was one of his docs) about three weeks before his passing and we were waiting to get CT's and unbeknownst to me, Madison went back to my room, got my 8802 brought it back and while I was in getting my CT, got Mr. Palmer to sign it. This is the only autograph that I have ever gotten, from anyone. I may have it framed and hung in my library, I'm undecided. I also have an original 8813 that was my back-up that I could use.

Stay well My Friends

RP

I guess I'm in the minority, but I always preferred the 8813 to the 8802. Loved both putters & was a Staff player myself until around 1991. The guy who taught me how to play & mentored me as a teenager had a couple of 8813s. He was, to this day, the best putter day in & day out I've ever seen & a very good player as well. He died young in his early 50s from a heart attack. His son has both of his 8813s & won't part with them for any amount of money.

I remember playing a summer tournament when I was in high school. The pro at our club was a Hogan staffer so every club in my bag was Hogan. During the practice round, a guy I knew from another local high school was dismissing my Hogans compared to his Staffs. His whole bag was of course Staff. Crazy- we even played their balls too. Man those were the days, and this post has made it seem like yesterday----thanks!!!!!!

"....Let's make American Golf great again" eh?

Morning Bro, Happy New Year

It sounds like your Father has the original edition based on your description of the grip cap.

They bring anywhere from $1000-1500US.

The flange was a little narrower than the 8802

I'm not sure about your question as it was not one of the last putters Wilson made as they continued to manufacture the 8802 though the AP model was discontinued from Wilson

RP

Yes! That is the exact same model, with the grip cap and flat grip. I would say that my Dad's is in slightly better condition than that but I haven't seen it for 10-15 years.

Happy New Year to you too!

• 2 months later...

There was a rumour going round a few years ago, round about the time of Harrington winning back to back opens. They decided to release a new set of blades to celebrate his first win - and then he won another! So there are apparently a few set of fg58's in circulation. Anyone know if this is true?

That's a bad rumor Bro, no truth to it unless they made a one off for Paddy, which the old Staff custom shop could easily do-

Actually, when the 59's were released(2008), Paddy had already won #60(2007) and would take number 61 the same year as the 59's release.

Later edit: I meant to say Fg 62's, with their Major count at 61

I'm tired :)

A little late on the answer, sorry :)

My Best,

RP

There was a rumour going round a few years ago, round about the time of Harrington winning back to back opens. They decided to release a new set of blades to celebrate his first win - and then he won another! So there are apparently a few set of fg58's in circulation. Anyone know if this is true?

That's a bad rumor Bro, no truth to it unless they made a one off for Paddy, which the old Staff custom shop could easily do-

Actually, when the 59's were released(2008), Paddy had already won #60(2007) and would take number 61 the same year as the 59's release.

The next release, the Fg 61's, would pay homage to the 61 Majors, where they sit today-

My Best,

RP

Can't find an FG61 anywhere but I do have the FG62's seen in my avatar pic :smilie_wilson:

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Stay well My Friends?

RP

I guess I'm in the minority, but I always preferred the 8813 to the 8802. Loved both putters & was a Staff player myself until around 1991. The guy who taught me how to play & mentored me as a teenager had a couple of 8813s. He was, to this day, the best putter day in & day out I've ever seen & a very good player as well. He died young in his early 50s from a heart attack. His son has both of his 8813s & won't part with them for any amount of money.

Actually, the 8802 & the 8813 were the same putter from a design/spec standpoint however the 8813 had the Staff moniker and shield stamped on the sole and was sold out of the Pro shops however when Mr. Palmer split from Staff(over a monetary tiff concerning these very putters, lol), they took his name off of the putter, put "8802" on and since it had been outselling the 8813, they just let things be as far as the stamping on the sole, sold it outa the shops and everything else is history, as they say, lol. I've actually got two 8813's, one that was a gift from Sam(below), and is the last blade that he ever used in a tournament, and another that I've done my basic pink fill job on, lol

I hope that you're well Bro :)

My Best,

RP

Later edit: I mistakingly stated the Fg 61's, and I meant 62's, though Staff has 61 Majors-

I'm tired, lol

My Best,

RP

Can't find an FG61 anywhere but I do have the FG62's seen in my avatar pic :smilie_wilson:

haha, I meant 62's

Thanks much!

The Best,

RP

So I remember as a teenager LUSTING after a set of Staff Tour Blades. I was a public course player and the only place you could buy Staffs in the Cols, OH area was at a Country Club OR mail order thru Nevada Bobs. For me, at that age, it added to the allure. It seemed to me that everybody - who was anybody - played Staffs. Well, except for this local guy who was pretty good - Jack Nicklaus.

It pains me to compare that company with the Wilson Company of today. You know the one...... The one that just had a complete amateur design their latest driver. Which turned out to be non conforming, BTW. To me Wilson is now a laughable brand.

Stay well My Friends

RP

Actually, the 8802 & the 8813 were the same putter from a design/spec standpoint however the 8813 had the Staff moniker and shield stamped on the sole and was sold out of the Pro shops however when Mr. Palmer split from Staff(over a monetary tiff concerning these very putters, lol), they took his name off of the putter, put "8802" on and since it had been outselling the 8813, they just let things be as far as the stamping on the sole, sold it outa the shops and everything else is history, as they say, lol. I've actually got two 8813's, one that was a gift from Sam(below), and is the last blade that he ever used in a tournament, and another that I've done my basic pink fill job on, lol

My Best,

RP

I didn't realize the 8802 & 8813 were the same design. I think every single 8813 I've seen has the horizontal line on the flange; I don't think any of the variations of the 8802 I've seen had it. Think that's what threw me. That line seemed to make the 8813 easier for me to line up.

I'm well & hope you are & continue to be, my friend. :wave:

Stay well My Friends?

RP

My Best,

RP

I didn't realize the 8802 & 8813 were the same design. I think every single 8813 I've seen has the horizontal line on the flange; I don't think any of the variations of the 8802 I've seen had it. Think that's what threw me. That line seemed to make the 8813 easier for me to line up.

I am sorry, I didn't make myself clear(it's been a long long day and evening, lol)-

When I say "design" I was speaking to lie(71*) and loft(3*)

Cosmetically, yes, the sight line in addition to the flange line running parallel to the face was the differentiating factor between the two putters, aside from the obvious differences in the sole stamp-

The earlier "Designed by Arnold Palmer" models were designed after Mr. Palmer's preference of a clean top line(see above pic) though the last year's release, 1961(below), had a sight line on the top line however I don't know WhereTH that flange line came from on the 8813, lol

Have a great week :)

My Best,

RP

Just ordered my 11 year old a set of these sexy irons. KBS Tour 80 gram r-flex shaft. He said "Dad. These feel like butter." , when demoing them.

12093022_first-look-wilson-fg-tour-v6-irons_td3365ea2.jpg

Superb irons!!

My former driving range Partner sent these over with Madison-

RP

I won four college tournaments with a designed by

Ground off the toe a little, original grip, a for a year and a half, made everything I looked at with it.

My whole bag was stolen out of the superintendents office at the course I worked at through college and my early pro years.

I've tried so many Designed By putters, but never found one as heavy and with the heavy "hit" that stolen one had.

Took my damned Tony Penna model 1 too. It screwed up my whole last half of the season

Stay well My Friends

RP

My Best,

RP

That 8813 is different to the one that my Dad has stored away. It has no markings on the top, And underneath it has Arnold Palmer etched signature on it. Not sure if it has a number on it too.

Stay well My Friends

RP

My Best,

RP

I am sorry, I didn't make myself clear(it's been a long long day and evening, lol)-

Cosmetically, yes, the sight line in addition to the flange line running parallel to the face was the differentiating factor between the two putters, aside from the obvious differences in the sole stamp-

The earlier "Designed by Arnold Palmer" models were designed after Mr. Palmer's preference of a clean top line(see above pic) though the last year's release, 1961(below), had a sight line on the top line however I don't know WhereTH that flange line came from on the 8813, lol

My Best,

RP

Yes, the one without the top line is the same as my dad's.

Wow, have you had them professionally polished/refinished?

I guess I'm in the minority, but I always preferred the 8813 to the 8802. Loved both putters &amp; was a Staff player myself until around 1991. The guy who taught me how to play &amp; mentored me as a teenager had a couple of 8813s. He was, to this day, the best putter day in & day out I've ever seen & a very good player as well. He died young in his early 50s from a heart attack. His son has both of his 8813s & won't part with them for any amount of money.

My Best,

RP

My Best,

RP

Yes, the one without the top line is the same as my dad's.

Wow, have you had them professionally polished/refinished?

Good morning :)

I posted the last posts late last night and I was dozing off posting and omitted that bottom set of pictures is a Friend's putter, not mine.

The top pictured AP model is mine-

My Friend said that the guy he got it from who claimed to be the original owner said that was the original finish and I've only seen maybe 7-8 of them, including these two, with the rest being in Mr. Palmer's possession and none had that shiny finish. Two of his were the 61's with the sight line and both had that finish like the top 3 putters.

He ended up having the one pictured framed for his library.

Have a great day :)

All the Best,

Richard

Just ordered my 11 year old a set of these sexy irons. KBS Tour 80 gram r-flex shaft. He said "Dad. These feel like butter." , when demoing them.

Superb irons!!

RP

I posted in here because I new you would appreciate it. Tried to PM you, but your box is full. My kid is different and doesn't care if the club says Powerbilt, Olimar, Titleist, Callaway, or Cobra. He loved these irons because he loved the irons.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Superb irons!!

RP

I posted in here because I new you would appreciate it. Tried to PM you, but your box is full. My kid is different and doesn't care if the club says Powerbilt, Olimar, Titleist, Callaway, or Cobra. He loved these irons because he loved the irons.

Smart boy. That's really the only reason to love clubs.

Superb irons!!

RP

I've gotta have Madison go in and clear some out. I can't really see good and end up deleting posts that I don't want to, lol.

Those 6's are the equal of any Tour MCB out there and between you and I when Madison texted and said my Bud was giving me new set of Staff MCB's, Inwas thinking "the 6's, saweeet," lol and don't get me wrong, these 5's are beautiful and Kevin and Paddy Play the F5's 3 and 4i, but damn, I thought that they were the 6's, lol

She told me to "STHU" and be thankful that he even thought of me, haha

I'm appreciative obviously but damn, lmao

Your Boy's gonna absolutely Love those irons!!

That's fantastic that he's an "individual" at his age!!

Little Ava is brainwashed with "Nike on the brain," lol.

I got her an adorable little pink Mizzy running hat and she thinks the running bird is "sooo ugly" ;)

Friggin kids, lol

My Best,

Richard

Superb irons!!

RP

I've gotta have Madison go in and clear some out. I can't really see good and end up deleting posts that I don't want to, lol.

Those 6's are the equal of any Tour MCB out there and between you and I when Madison texted and said my Bud was giving me new set of Staff MCB's, Inwas thinking "the 6's, saweeet," lol and don't get me wrong, these 5's are beautiful and Kevin and Paddy Play the F5's 3 and 4i, but damn, I thought that they were the 6's, lol

I got her an adorable little pink Mizzy running hat and she thinks the running bird is "sooo ugly" ;)

Friggin kids, lol

My Best,

Richard

My son tried the F5 with the Staff rep. He took two swings with it and went right back to the 6. I asked him what is wrong. He said "Eh. Those are too big and don't look good at address. I like this smaller head and they look and feel so much better." 11 years old. LOL... I am 40 something and can't tell the difference in any club I swing. Must indicate how bad I am.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Superb irons!!

RP

Dang that's a nice looking iron

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Superb irons!!

Fairways &amp; Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

Friggin kids, lol

My Best,

Richard

My son tried the F5 with the Staff rep. He took two swings with it and went right back to the 6. I asked him what is wrong. He said "Eh. Those are too big and don't look good at address. I like this smaller head and they look and feel so much better." 11 years old. LOL... I am 40 something and can't tell the difference in any club I swing. Must indicate how bad I am.

HaHaHa, I just got this from Richard..

"Hi Sweetheart. That's it!!! Just read a post from HH in the Wilson thread and his ELEVEN YEAR OLD BOY said the friggin 5's are too big!!! I don't give a s*** if I hit a 25 7i 120yds, I'm hitting the friggin Mizzys!! I appreciate Dave giving me those and I'm really trying to accept that I will no longer be able to hit Blades but I'll be damned if I'm baggin an iron that an 11yo thinks is too big. This really sucks! You can take em home with you tonight and please bring the 25's with you. Call me. Love You, Me"

Myself, Richard's BFF Dave and Mitch have been priming him for his club choice when he returns and I really do like those 5's and they by no means are a "shovel" but I will say that the 6's are "sexier," lol. He is speaking of a set of MP-25's that are coming. Sweetie, you know the Tour guys that Play the 5's in the long irons and those are beautiful clubs!! You haven't swung a club in almost 4 years and you have use of half of your body. I think that you should hit the 5's at least because you know Pauly(+3.2) Plays them and he loves th over his old AP2's. I will bring the 25's in :) Love, M

HH, I am sitting down with the Staff rep next week and I am seriously looking at the 6's for my bag. I've got a set of 100's and he's dropping off a set of 6's on Friday. I hit the 5's and they really do feel great and the top line is fine but I want a little less sole. Well, I'm glad that your son loves his clubs!! Take care :) Madison

"Hi Sweetheart. That's it!!! Just read a post from HH in the Wilson thread and his ELEVEN YEAR OLD BOY said the friggin 5's are too big!!! I don't give a s*** if I hit a 25 7i 120yds, I'm hitting the friggin Mizzys!! I appreciate Dave giving me those and I'm really trying to accept that I will no longer be able to hit Blades but I'll be damned if I'm baggin an iron that an 11yo thinks is too big. This really sucks! You can take em home with you tonight and please bring the 25's with you. Call me. Love You, Me"

Myself, Richard's BFF Dave and Mitch have been priming him for his club choice when he returns and I really do like those 5's and they by no means are a "shovel" but I will say that the 6's are "sexier," lol. He is speaking of a set of MP-25's that are coming. Sweetie, you know the Tour guys that Play the 5's in the long irons and those are beautiful clubs!! You haven't swung a club in almost 4 years and you have use of half of your body. I think that you should hit the 5's at least because you know Pauly(+3.2) Plays them and he loves th over his old AP2's. I will bring the 25's in :) Love, M

HH, I am sitting down with the Staff rep next week and I am seriously looking at the 6's for my bag. I've got a set of 100's and he's dropping off a set of 6's on Friday. I hit the 5's and they really do feel great and the top line is fine but I want a little less sole. Well, I'm glad that your son loves his clubs!! Take care :) Madison

You know, coffee really burns when it squirts out your nose... :cheesy: