2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Time to Step up Wilson (Amer Sports)

jjr

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad someone posted the olympic version of the C200's.

This is EXACTLY what Wilson SHOULD NOT be doing! Come on Wilson. When you are fighting an "inferiority complex" and a generation of golfers who grew up on Nike...this does not communicate quality, top level equipment. It reeks of tackiness, cheesiness and gimmick! These look like they are not only sold AT Wal Mart but were created BY Wal Mart.

Please Wilson, please. If someone is listening...you make good if not great stuff...start acting like it!

Just for your info WalMart carries TM,Callaway,Ping also.

Glad someone posted the olympic version of the C200's.

This is EXACTLY what Wilson SHOULD NOT be doing! Come on Wilson. When you are fighting an "inferiority complex" and a generation of golfers who grew up on Nike...this does not communicate quality, top level equipment. It reeks of tackiness, cheesiness and gimmick! These look like they are not only sold AT Wal Mart but were created BY Wal Mart.

Please Wilson, please. If someone is listening...you make good if not great stuff...start acting like it!

Just for your info WalMart carries TM,Callaway,Ping also.

And Stones......

Have a nice weekend :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

WTF?!?!?!?

A FatShaft on a putter?!?!?!?

"Maximum Stability"

Yea, that torsional instability is incredible in a cross wind and what held me back as a putter ;)

And don't talk to me about lag putts ;)

It's bulls*** like this, as was noted nicely above me, that derailed Staff-

Some Jerk-Off makin seven figures signed off on this!!!

And worse than that is that a bunch of engineers who are brighter than this sat around a room pattin themselves on the back at this "technological" breakthrough.

Putzes...

Have a great weekend Gals & Gents :)

All the Best,

RP

Another insightful and accurate observation Richard, especially your comments about the engineers lol.

Thanks Bro :) Sorry about the double post but I get all upset and in a tizzy and I post two or three times, lol. I deleted that one but you responded to it so it's up. The putter actually had a decent feel though a tad too "harsh"/loud for my tastes.

How these guys could do the 51's on one hand and something like this on the other is what I find amazing.

I have those RM Tour Mid Size Forged with the FatShafts in them though I've never hit em. A lot of guys ripped em however most didn't even hit them much less play them however there are a few guys that did bag them and they liked em. But obviously not nearly enough.

Take care :)

My Best,

RP

The original Staff mid size forged were my first real iron crush when I started playing back in the 80s. Never pulled the trigger due to financial restraints (booze and women), but they were a magnificent looking set of sticks.

The only staff clubs ive owned was a ultra 45 staff 2-iron back in the mid nineties. The club pro had a 1-iron and 2-iron used in the shop so i took them for a few holes. I still remember one shot i hit with the 1-iron....mind you the rest were finger breakers. I bought and still have the 2-iron but modern tech has made it obsolete

• 1 month later...

Looks like Wilson is stepping up its presence a bit with this new Driver vs Driver program coming to the golf channel. They have been mostly invisible as far as mainstream advertising goes for a long time now. Maybe this will continue to bring the brand back.

Way to go Wilson.

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/explore/golf/driver-vs-driver

Wilson is working hard to make themselves relevant. I tried a lot of irons and wedges last year and came away with Wilson C200s and PMP wedges. They are crazy good!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• 1 month later...

Fg62 where some sweet irons

Extremely Sweet!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Growing up, I lived next to the Pro at the member only club in my town (very nice club in NH). I was friends with his son and my grandfather was also one of the original members of said CC. I worked in the bagroom in my early teens and would be surrounded by all the beautiful Titleist, Taylor Made, Cobra's etc. in the Pro Shop. Being a kid and fortunate to have my grandfather and his old cronies always around, I was often given old sets to use. My first set of clubs up until my 18th birthday (I played high school with these) were Johnny Miller Classics by Macgregor. Yes, they were really old but they still played very well compared to my friends who's parents shelled out for DCI's. I truly believe using these old clubs is why I can hit my irons extremely well as I have gotten older.

Back to topic, I'm only 35 but I would love to see the older brands or the legends come back to the sport. I'm really tempted to buy a set of the new Hogans. They looked very nice in my opinion.

Growing up, I lived next to the Pro at the member only club in my town (very nice club in NH). I was friends with his son and my grandfather was also one of the original members of said CC. I worked in the bagroom in my early teens and would be surrounded by all the beautiful Titleist, Taylor Made, Cobra's etc. in the Pro Shop. Being a kid and fortunate to have my grandfather and his old cronies always around, I was often given old sets to use. My first set of clubs up until my 18th birthday (I played high school with these) were Johnny Miller Classics by Macgregor. Yes, they were really old but they still played very well compared to my friends who's parents shelled out for DCI's. I truly believe using these old clubs is why I can hit my irons extremely well as I have gotten older.

Back to topic, I'm only 35 but I would love to see the older brands or the legends come back to the sport. I'm really tempted to buy a set of the new Hogans. They looked very nice in my opinion.

The Hogans are a very very nice club and if you're looking for a MCB, the V4 Tours are as good as it gets and I believe that the new ones are out or coming out shortly. You can get the 4's in the box for $500.

If ya want blades, and can find a pristine set, the 59's are as good as it gets and the 62's and current 100's are as good as anything out there.

The 59's were in my bag in 2012, over my Mizzys, and they still would be if I was in the game. They are just an incredible blade.

HaHa, yea, I'm biased though if they didn't perform they'd be in the closet, lol.

The best to ya :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

Agreed, I could see them in my bag.

The 100th anniversary looks great

They are a modern rendition of the 71 Button Backs, considered by many, including Pete(my Teacher), as the finest blade ever produced by Staff. Sam said the 78 Tour Blades were his fave but I guarantee ya he's loving these 59's and baggin em, hahaha. Pete's still swinging the Button Backs, lol.

Stay well Bro :)

All the Best,

Richard

WTF?!?!?!?

A FatShaft on a putter?!?!?!?

"Maximum Stability"

Yea, that torsional instability is incredible in a cross wind and what held me back as a putter ;)

And don't talk to me about lag putts ;)

It's bulls*** like this, as was noted nicely above me, that derailed Staff-

Some Jerk-Off makin seven figures signed off on this!!!

And worse than that is that a bunch of engineers who are brighter than this sat around a room pattin themselves on the back at this "technological" breakthrough.

Putzes...

Have a great weekend Gals & Gents :)

All the Best,

RP

Another insightful and accurate observation Richard, especially your comments about the engineers lol.

Thanks Bro :) Sorry about the double post but I get all upset and in a tizzy and I post two or three times, lol. I deleted that one but you responded to it so it's up. The putter actually had a decent feel though a tad too "harsh"/loud for my tastes.

How these guys could do the 51's on one hand and something like this on the other is what I find amazing.

I have those RM Tour Mid Size Forged with the FatShafts in them though I've never hit em. A lot of guys ripped em however most didn't even hit them much less play them however there are a few guys that did bag them and they liked em. But obviously not nearly enough.

Take care :)

My Best,

RP

The original Staff mid size forged were my first real iron crush when I started playing back in the 80s. Never pulled the trigger due to financial restraints (booze and women), but they were a magnificent looking set of sticks.

The RM Forged Mid Size are indeed a sweet CB Bro and the funny thing is that although these at the time were indeed considered "midsize" irons(I was Playing Mizzy 14's at the time), today, they would be on the smaller size and take a look at that offset(or lack thereof, lol) and top line, lol. I Played these a few rounds and these are indeed a Player's CB.

They are a serious iron for serious Players~

Seriously....

Also, for those not familiar, "RM" stands for Robert Mendralla, one of the finest club makers in the history or the game. He worked for Wilson/Staff for 57 years, starting out as a custodian sweeping floors. Mr. Memdralla passed quietly this past July. I had the good fortune to have spent some time with Mr. Memdralla on three occasions and the word "Gentleman" never ever applied to an individual as much as it applied to Bob Memdralla. He was a Kind Gentle Man, whose passion was in producing pieces of art and as an artist there were, are and will never be any better. Every single iron in this thread is Mr. Mendralla's design along with basically every blade and most of the Staff Player's CB's.

Though like Mr. Palmer, Mr. Mendralla has passed on, like Mr. Palmer Mr. Mendralla and his influence will forever live on and influence this game.

I hope that you're well My Friend :)

All the Best,

Richard

The RM Forged Mid Size are indeed a sweet CB Bro and the funny thing is that although these at the time were indeed considered "midsize" irons(I was Playing Mizzy 14's at the time), today, they would be on the smaller size and take a look at that offset(or lack thereof, lol) and top line, lol. I Played these a few rounds and these are indeed a Player's CB.

They are a serious iron for serious Players~

Seriously....

Also, for those not familiar, "RM" stands for Robert Mendralla, one of the finest club makers in the history or the game. He worked for Wilson/Staff for 57 years, starting out as a custodian sweeping floors. Mr. Memdralla passed quietly this past July. I had the good fortune to have spent some time with Mr. Memdralla on three occasions and the word "Gentleman" never ever applied to an individual as much as it applied to Bob Memdralla. He was a Kind Gentle Man, whose passion was in producing pieces of art and as an artist there were, are and will never be any better. Every single iron in this thread is Mr. Mendralla's design along with basically every blade and most of the Staff Player's CB's.

Though like Mr. Palmer, Mr. Mendralla has passed on, like Mr. Palmer Mr. Mendralla and his influence will forever live on and influence this game.

I hope that you're well My Friend :)

All the Best,

Richard

My second set of irons, with which I got from near beginner status to bogey golfer. I still own them, but only take them out when I really, really want to punish myself. In all probability, these are the reason why I found MP-32s and Fg 62s quite easy to hit, when I picked up the game again.

Mr. Mendralla's story would make a pretty good movie.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/news/yeartodate/news04/wilson2.html

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Spend some money and really save the brand ( go ahead bash me :)) Sign Tiger,Rory Jason or DJ and manufacture a sweet a** blade & CB with their input.

Current line-up is awesome, yes, most of you have no idea!

Add to the major's won total with Wilson Staff.

Will Tiger play again, I sure hope so, but even if he doesn't the clubs will sell.

Yes, this sounds insane, but how many of you thought Nike clubs would be gone?

Id love to game some wilsons but I cannot spend 1K on wilsons. Sorry just not going to happen, if they were 700 I'd consider.

Spend some money and really save the brand ( go ahead bash me :)) Sign Tiger,Rory Jason or DJ and manufacture a sweet a** blade & CB with their input.

Will Tiger play again, I sure hope so, but even if he doesn't the clubs will sell.

Id love to game some wilsons but I cannot spend 1K on wilsons. Sorry just not going to happen, if they were 700 I'd consider.

I wouldn't drop a grand on Wilson's either

Or $700 for that matter...

Wilson doesn't make s*** that I'd spend money on....

Staff??

Absolutely, all day, 7/365

I can only speak to Mizzy as that's all that I've Played since 1986 however the 59's blew my 68's out of the water, aling with every other blade save for the 14's(TP-9's, TN-87's, MP-33's & 68's).

They are a Player's iron no doubt, and just like blades, not for everyone, but if you Play a blade, and you ever get the opportunity to hit/Play these, you will not find a finer blade out there. I have a set of Baby Blades in the closet and they don't touch these.

Fairways & Greens

RP

Staff??

I can only speak to Mizzy as that's all that I've Played since 1986 however the 59's blew my 68's out of the water, aling with every other blade save for the 14's(TP-9's, TN-87's, MP-33's & 68's).

They are a Player's iron no doubt, and just like blades, not for everyone, but if you Play a blade, and you ever get the opportunity to hit/Play these, you will not find a finer blade out there. I have a set of Baby Blades in the closet and they don't touch these.

Fairways & Greens

RP

Hello Richard,

I would say that Tiger should go to Cleveland 588 MB blades. I would argue that Cleveland makes the best blades out there. Thank you for your time.

Staff??

Fairways & Greens

RP

Hello Richard,

I would say that Tiger should go to Cleveland 588 MB blades. I would argue that Cleveland makes the best blades out there. Thank you for your time.

The 588's are indeed a fine fine blade, and arguably as good as anything out there.

There are 8-10 sets of blades that you could throw in a hat, pull em, go Play em and you wouldn't compromise a thing.

As my Teacher said, and I concurr, Blades are Blades, and the "best" is a very relative and individual based opinion though I would never argue that the 588's are not amongst the best because I put them in that hat :)

You're very welcome :)

All the Best,

RP

Wilson is working hard to make themselves relevant. I tried a lot of irons and wedges last year and came away with Wilson C200s and PMP wedges. They are crazy good!

I got PMPs myself recently. Ridiculously awesome. Everything about them just jives well with me.

PXG 0811X+ 10.5* (12*)

CW Epic Flash 5W 

TM M3 3H & 4H

TM RocketBladez HL 5-PW

W/S PMP 52*, 56*, 60*

Cleveland HB Soft #1

Oh the Cleveland mbs. I had a set of those. Loved them. You wanna talk about a small profile looking down haha. Those things were tiny. They would also be in my buy back group. One day when I grow up and have old man moneybhaha I am going to have to make a list of blades I have played and wanted to play. Then buy hen and rotate through them haha

Forever Changing at this point.......

These are the new V6's

Though I loved the feel of the 4s, I could have done without the multi-color badging on the faceback. I think that it cheapens a world class iron.

I like the direction that they are going cosmetically with the 6's.

These are serious irons for serious Players and as such, they don't need all that garbage on the back.

Leave that to TBaG, lol

http://www.golfwrx.com/400292/wilsons-new-fg-tour-v6-irons/

Have a nice evening/day Gals & Gents :)

Fairways Greens & Staffs

RP

These are the new V6's

Though I loved the feel of the 4s, I could have done without the multi-color badging on the faceback. I think that it cheapens a world class iron.

These are serious irons for serious Players and as such, they don't need all that garbage on the back.

Leave that to TBaG, lol

http://www.golfwrx.c...-tour-v6-irons/

Fairways Greens & Staffs

RP

What were the Wilson Staff Goose neck model that was out around 1989-1991? I wanted a set of those so bad.

• 1 month later...

These are the new V6's

Leave that to TBaG, lol

http://www.golfwrx.c...-tour-v6-irons/

Fairways Greens & Staffs

RP

What were the Wilson Staff Goose neck model that was out around 1989-1991? I wanted a set of those so bad.

Hey Bro, Apologies as I never saw your post or I would've replied. I would never intentionally not respond.

These are the 1989 Goosenecks. They were a sweet iron though a little too long heel to toe for my eye as I had gone away from Staff in '86 to Mizzy and in '89 I had the Mizzy 87's in the bag. If my memory is correct, they also had a "Fluid Feel" blade out in 1990 and the Fg 53s came out in '91, Payne's weapon of choice, lol.

Mizzy gets a lot of accolades but Nobody made a Blade like Staff. In all fairness, I'm extremely biased, lmao?

Happy Nesw Year Bro ?

All the Best

Wilson Staff Blades - Wow these clubs brings back some memories. Back in the day Wilson Staff Blades had more "cool factor" than today's Nike/Callaway/Taylormade/Ping/Titleist combined.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2