2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Time to Step up Wilson (Amer Sports)

jjr

It's STAFF...

Friggin STAFF!!!

Wilson didn't earn s***

STAFF did!!!

SIXTY-ONE TIMES!!!

It's actually 62 times. Hence the WS FG-62.

Hi SF :) Nope, it's actually 61 and those 62 irons were to set the bar for Staff's next major. Even heavily medicated, and though he couldn't tell you what he had for dinner two nights ago, Richard knows Staff, haha. Actually the 59's that Richard has in the bag(pictured above) were intrduced to comemmorate the 59 Majors won. Have a nice weekend :) Maddie

I never knew that. Always assumed the number was correct.

It's worth noting however that long ago, Staff was probably the most popular option. Of those 61 wins, only 14 of them occurred after 1980. The first Staff major victory was in 1922.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 60,70,80's .... there were only 3 competitive brands to even consider (IMO) - hence the number of victories. Staff, Macgregor, Hogan. Then Ping came along and started to challenge.

The other part I find interesting is that you typically didn't buy new clubs. You had a tendency to play drivers that were 10+ years old. Once you got an iron set you liked you stayed with them a long time. Then - Ping Irons and Taylormade (Driver) changed everything.

Richard, love your passion for the Staff brand, you're tempting me to buy some FG59's to try out.

Enjoying my new V4's at the moment/

Off topic!

I've read and enjoyed many of your posts over the years, didn't realize you were ill, prayers for you and your family, get well quickly!

All the best.

Thanks alot Bro :)

Yea, if you ever get the opportunity to pick up a set, grab em!!

This is a WRXer staff review and it's a nice review however he got a little carried away with his "love" for Staff and specifically the 17's when he stated "a love for my Wilson FG-17's that I used through most of the 70's and early 80's."

http://www.golfwrx.com/2097/wilson-staff-fg-59-iron-review-2/

A few things here that caught my attention...

1) While he may have had a love affair with Wilson through "most of the 70's," it wasn't with the 17's because they were not introduced until 1981.

2) This leads me to my next eye raising momemt when he stated "Wilson FG-17's"

I have stated this before and I'll state it again and that is I NEVER EVER EVER heard ANY Player refer to either Staff or their blades as "Wilson."

Ever...

That may seem insignificant to some of you however for those Players amongst you that Played the 17's, you know what I'm talkin about.

Never happened and if ya would say that around a Staffer like my Teacher, he would have politely corrected you immediately as he did a few higher caps who asked about putting the Tour Blades in their bag and referred to them as "Wilson."

He nicely but firmly informed them that Wilson made a line named after his Brother for "recreational" golfers and Staff made an iron for "Players."

The second thing is it was "Fg" not "FG."

Ever

Maybe it was a typo however I have not seen another that was not corrected in the WRX blog side. They are too professional to let that crap slide. Doesn't happen.

I just remember reading this review back in 2009-10, long before I'd heard of this forum and I remember thinking "WTF," lmao and while the author obviously is a skilled ball striker based on his review, well, I'll leave it at I'm skeptical of his self professed almost decade long love affair with the 17's, LMAO.

But it is an accurate review from my experience with the irons.

Maddie was right confidence wise because my whole game was predicated on my mental picture and visualizing that blade and THE Tour Blade was the blade that was imprinted in my mind's eye and the Mizzy 14's were close dimension(heel-toe) wise however the Mizzy 68's, while a gorgeous blade, had a larger profile and while I was at +1~ +1.3 with em, I never had that feeling of "I own this shot" with them.

Thise 59's were orgasmic, LMAO.

It was like turning back the clock and I got that confidence and it wasn't noticable to most, though Maddie and I Played thousands of holes together and hit as many balls and those last 5 months were the funnest golf I'd Played in 20 years, lol.

Anyhoo, they are the real deal Bro, second best Staff iron I've ever Played and if you can find the set that was commissioned for the one golf house, the name escapes me, however it says simply "Tour Blade" on the face back down where "Fg59" is on the retail model. Stunning, just like it's daddy, the 1976-80 Tour Blade.

Well, I had my chemo today and I'm beat so I'm gonna take my meds and bag for a while.

Thanks again for the thoughts and kind words

Stay well my Friend :)

LMAO, oh Lord, talk about typos, haha

Apologies, long day, lol

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

It's STAFF...

Friggin STAFF!!!

Wilson didn't earn s***

STAFF did!!!

SIXTY-ONE TIMES!!!

I wonder what the W in the badge stands for? :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

It's STAFF...

Friggin STAFF!!!

NOT Wilson!!!

STAFF's irons were in the bags of SIXTY-ONE Major Winners, NOT Wilson

STAFF has THE Most storried History Tradition & Heritage of ANY iron mamufacturer in the game.

NOT Wilson!!!

THIS is part of the problem-

A HUGE Part....

It would be like Cadillac forgetting their History Tradition and Heritage and going under the Chevy badge.

Wilson is a Sporting goods company

STAFF is a Legend.....

These idiots are just like the others from 1997 on-

They chose to bury and forget a History Tradition and Heritage that no amount of money can buy-

It has to be EARNED!!

Wilson didn't earn s***

STAFF did!!!

SIXTY-ONE TIMES!!!

If it's money, Staff loses. If you base it around being a part of a Legendary Staff roster and being part of a rebirth, and you show a montage of those legends through the decades, up to and including Paddy, ya just might have a shot-

Seriously....

Have a great weekend Gals & Gents :)

Staff Blades 4ever,

RP

Haha! Dangit Richard! Haven't we told you not to post when you're on your meds!?

Stay well Richard. You are in our prayers.

Thank you DM! I'm sitting here with him and he's out cold and in an ice bed as his temp spiked to just over 105°. I can't believe that he typed that post, lol. Have a nice evening guys :) Fondly, Maddie

Wow, take care both of you. You're in our thoughts. :)

Does Wilson have big enough pockets? Are they willing to pay Tiger $10 mil + a year for a 10 club contract?

I have no idea about the specifics of Wilson Golf's financials, but Wilson as a whole can certainly afford to pay Roger Federer so I see no reason why they couldn't pay his golf counterpart.

The copy writes it self: "The Greatest game Wilson"

Show some shots of federer, tiger, Sampras, historical footage of all those majors won using Wilson clubs. Tiger fist pump. Logo and you're out.

They should atleast change the colors,logo and the way they market their equipment. All golf stuff they make looks like its worth 10$. Looks extremely boring and it LOOKS like horrible equipment, bags etc. Shine it up a little to make it look more modern and inviting atleast.

It's STAFF...

Friggin STAFF!!!

NOT Wilson!!!

STAFF's irons were in the bags of SIXTY-ONE Major Winners, NOT Wilson

STAFF has THE Most storried History Tradition & Heritage of ANY iron mamufacturer in the game.

NOT Wilson!!!

THIS is part of the problem-

A HUGE Part....

It would be like Cadillac forgetting their History Tradition and Heritage and going under the Chevy badge.

Wilson is a Sporting goods company

STAFF is a Legend.....

These idiots are just like the others from 1997 on-

They chose to bury and forget a History Tradition and Heritage that no amount of money can buy-

It has to be EARNED!!

Wilson didn't earn s***

STAFF did!!!

SIXTY-ONE TIMES!!!

If it's money, Staff loses. If you base it around being a part of a Legendary Staff roster and being part of a rebirth, and you show a montage of those legends through the decades, up to and including Paddy, ya just might have a shot-

Seriously....

Have a great weekend Gals & Gents :)

Staff Blades 4ever,

RP

Amen brother! Staff is the ONE and they won't settle for just anyone they are smarter in running their business. Others have fallen away but STAFF is still the Gold Ring for everyone to reach for. I'm certain they are considering some of Nike's staff but they have to want Staff not Staff want them . When you are hungry you try harder Rory has a policy to play one tourney and rest two. That statement was made this week on TV. Some will go to PXG he has deep pockets but that too will wear thin if you don't win!

Is this serious. Wilson makes maybe some decent irons and the 8802 putter that Tiger doesnt play. What could Tiger play besides maybe the tour 100. They have no woods, no ball, no wedges or putter that he would play

They have great Irons( V2 Irons -V4 Irons) The yet to be released 017 driver watch in the fall for their show on the designing of a new driver contest. The wedge model(PMP)l is as good as any . The first version Vizor is tour material putter , the latest putter offer Paddy plays . Staff is not going jump for the sake of jumping , they are planning their moves that's why the have lasted so long.

I have the 8802 putter and the Vizor 1st model and a Scotty and either of the Staff putters plays much better than Scotty.. The V2 irons were rated best when then came out by MGS and I purchased them and without a doubt they are the best iron out there because I have tried most every iron ,TM, Titleist, Cleveland, Callaway, Srixon, Bridgestone

I would love to see Tiger playing Wilson Staff clubs and get topflite to re-assume the Spalding line-up of balls...

Drop his caddy and carry around a turn of the century bag...

-Christosterone

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

If Wilson is really serious about reestablishing a strong presence in the game, Nike has handed them the opportunity of a lifetime. Forget Tiger, adding McIlroy, Koepka, Finau, Wie, and Woods (Cheyenne) to their staff would go a long way towards legitimizing them.

But I suspect the reason they're only a footnote in the game is the reason they won't go all in. Spreadsheet management.

If Wilson is really serious about reestablishing a strong presence in the game, Nike has handed them the opportunity of a lifetime. Forget Tiger, adding McIlroy, Koepka, Finau, Wie, and Woods (Cheyenne) to their staff would go a long way towards legitimizing them.

But I suspect the reason they're only a footnote in the game is the reason they won't go all in. Spreadsheet management.

Puzzling.....the largest sporting good manufacturer in the world couldn't make a go of it, and you think wilson won't go all in? Into a declining market that is extremely crowded.

FWIW, I think Tiger would be a great fit for Staff if he makes it back. Tiger has always been an old school purist at heart, and Staff is as old school and storied as it gets. Don't see Tiger playing a whole bag, but he would be right at home with a set of custom made old school Staff blades, and they could easily tweak their wedges ant tour balls to his likings. As a student of the games history you could imagine Tiger would have a soft spot for Staff too. Tiger would obviously keep his TW line of clothing and shoes, but Staff isn't in the apparel industry anyway. I see it as a very compatible match, providing Tiger actually comes back at all.

They should atleast change the colors,logo and the way they market their equipment. All golf stuff they make looks like its worth 10$. Looks extremely boring and it LOOKS like horrible equipment, bags etc. Shine it up a little to make it look more modern and inviting atleast.

I don't completely disagree with this. They definitely could help themselves by dressing up some things.

Generally I like the W/S "shield" logo...they just don't use it right. I mean come on...why do the hats that Streelman and Paddy wear actually spell out Wilson Staff!!?? It looks so dumb. Nike and Under Armour are recognizable just by the logo. Wilson should just use that shield logo..it works. The Crimson/gold/black work well.

Other than that...bags, etc could use a bit updating.

The look of the Fg Tour 100's is unmatched and won't be topped.

I don't completely disagree with this. They definitely could help themselves by dressing up some things.

Generally I like the W/S "shield" logo...they just don't use it right. I mean come on...why do the hats that Streelman and Paddy wear actually spell out Wilson Staff!!?? It looks so dumb. Nike and Under Armour are recognizable just by the logo. Wilson should just use that shield logo..it works. The Crimson/gold/black work well.

I could never understand why their tour balls had 'wilson staff' but no logo, but their hacker balls had the much more appealing logo? I thought their tour balls looked cheaper without the logo.

It's STAFF...

Friggin STAFF!!!

Wilson didn't earn s***

STAFF did!!!

SIXTY-ONE TIMES!!!

Wilson :)

Have a nice week Bro!

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I could never understand why their tour balls had 'wilson staff' but no logo, but their hacker balls had the much more appealing logo? I thought their tour balls looked cheaper without the logo.

I disagree with changing the logo and color scheme. First, the curent color scheme of red/silver/white is striking and pretty much in keeping with the colors that have always been on the shield and Staff's colors, with black at various times replacing the silver. Secondly, the shield is an amazing logo and has been there for a majority of Staff's glorified past.

I agree totally with Meld's in that they do not use the shield correctly nor do they market their ancilary products, especially hats and visors effectively.

Basically, their regular hats consist of the stupid a** painter's hat and other baseball style hats with terrible color schemes like baby blue/yellow and their only visor was a white/burgundy/tan thing that though I wore it because I prefer visors, I looked like an a**h*** because my final day colors are black slacks/pink shirts and it clashed with everything however the irons worked just fine so I was good with it, lol.

I would introduce a small line of baseball style hats and visors in Red, White & black with both "Staff" & the logo on the front and the "Wilson Staff" tag on the back.

Have a great week BroMeisters :)

All The Best,

Richard

I would love to see Tiger playing Wilson Staff clubs and get topflite to re-assume the Spalding line-up of balls...

Drop his caddy and carry around a turn of the century bag...

-Christosterone

Fairways Greens & Staff 4ever My Friend,

RP

My two previous irons were the Pi5, which were awesome, and then Fi5 which were my first attempt at building a set, they are gorgeous and I'll probably never get rid of those. I satinized myself and put sweet matching red, black and white ferrules on. I wanted thosethose Fi5's so bad after trading up to the original Progressives when I worked at PIAS in the early 2000s. Which I guess would make my 3 previous irons sets WS. Oh and now in Nike VPC so maybe I'll someday be back to the shield.

It's STAFF...

Friggin STAFF!!!

Wilson didn't earn s***

STAFF did!!!

SIXTY-ONE TIMES!!!

Wilson :)

Have a nice week Bro!

My Best,

RP

Wow, now I'm confused RP! You said it was Staff not Wilson Staff. Excuse me you said it was STAFF and more you say it's Wilson. So confused. :(. Be well.

Seriously though. I played a set of Staff blades in the late 70's, do not recall what number that was exactly. Wish I would not have sold them to a buddy. A modern set wouldt be great to have.

To reiterate, the 100 year anniversary Wilson blades are among the most exquisite irons EVER produced...

They truly are a work of art...

-Christosterone

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape