Tyson Lamb Putters & Crafts

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure that nobody (or at least the vast majority) aren't criticizing Tyson's recreations of other putter head shapes (Dalehead Anser, Anser 2, etc...).

Pretty much every custom putter maker has their own versions of those shapes... and they should. There is a huge demand for them and you should give your customers what they want. Even when it comes to the "Winner Winner" putter... If the customer ordered that stamping, I have no problem with it.

If something is being passed off as an original idea, that's a little different. There have been a lot of other seemingly "copy/paste" designs brought up in this thread that look to be unoriginal, at best. His head shapes are not included in that.

Give your customers what they want (product, service, etc...), be honest and respectful; and if you're going to represent something as original, make sure you were the first person to create it before representing it as such. I don't think many of us ask for more than that from the people we are considering making a custom purchase from... Pretty simple.

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Pretty sure that nobody (or at least the vast majority) aren't criticizing Tyson's recreations of other putter head shapes (Dalehead Anser, Anser 2, etc...).

Pretty much every custom putter maker has their own versions of those shapes... and they should. There is a huge demand for them and you should give your customers what they want. Even when it comes to the "Winner Winner" putter... If the customer ordered that stamping, I have no problem with it.

If something is being passed off as an original idea, that's a little different. There have been a lot of other seemingly "copy/paste" designs brought up in this thread that look to be unoriginal, at best. His head shapes are not included in that.

Give your customers what they want (product, service, etc...), be honest and respectful; and if you're going to represent something as original, make sure you were the first person to create it before representing it as such. I don't think many of us ask for more than that from the people we are considering making a custom purchase from... Pretty simple.

Couldn't agree more. Everyone makes an "Anser style" putter - and the dead horse around here that everyone copied Karsten Solheim is about as overused as it gets. Had he not invented the Anser style putter, I guaran-damn-tee you someone was going to. And all credit has been given, even by Scotty himself, that Solheim paved the way for modern putter makers.

Like you said, if someone custom ordered a "Winner Winner" putter - so be it. Perhaps they had never seen Pure745's putter. Who is Tyson Lamb to deny a customers request?

Little different story if you requested Tyson Lamb to do a signature "My Girl" putter, because it's common knowledge that's a special Scotty line.

I didn't look, but I don't believe he claimed that putter as a Lambcrafted original design...

I think the focus of this thread should be the brand and the putter. Obviously opinions on supposed originality or lack thereof are part of it but that is not my angle in this thread. I agree that most putter designs are "reworked" but there's truly no reason to reinvent the wheel if it works and consumers like it. He's a custom putter maker and from what I have seen (but not felt by way of putting with one) his work is good if not great. My interest in the thread is to see what is going on with his brand as there is or was extreme potential there, and to see his work from consumers on wrx that have finished the process. My experience with the "process" died on the vine, and I wasn't happy with that - s**t happens but I gave my feedback on the experience and was done with it. I'm not a hater and I'm still intrigued by the brand and the experiences of others and how it develops. No one here seems unreasonable in their comments so I suggest we ALL stop name calling or trying to fight and just discuss our experiences (good OR bad).

That's pretty much it right there folks.

The funny thing is that I came on this thread with genuine interest in Tyson Lamb putters and admired the work showcased on some of his pictures. The sad part is the "enthusiasts" posting on here have really turned me off to the brand in a really big way. You can support the brand and not come off in a certain way/tone that has been given off in here which has definitely turned a potential customer away. I've collected TP Mills, Bettinardi, Byron, and Scotty putters and was interested in Lamb, but the "enthusiasts" he seems to be attracting are not people I'd want representing my brand.. ever.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

The funny thing is that I came on this thread with genuine interest in Tyson Lamb putters and admired the work showcased on some of his pictures. The sad part is the "enthusiasts" posting on here have really turned me off to the brand in a really big way. You can support the brand and not come off in a certain way/tone that has been given off in here which has definitely turned a potential customer away. I've collected TP Mills, Bettinardi, Byron, and Scotty putters and was interested in Lamb, but the "enthusiasts" he seems to be attracting are not people I'd want representing my brand.. ever.

Couldn't have said it any better. It's more the "fans" turning me away than anything.

They seem like genuine people when you talk to them, but the "fans" are last people I would want to be around.

#TysonWRX2

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Look, I know, you know, EVERYONE knows putter makers copy each other to an extent. But when you take it to the level of copying not just "themes" but straight up stamping, it becomes comical (especially at the price point).

The only similarity I can see there is the words Winner Winner? I don't think that warrants copy cat claims...........

I do fully agree the young man is inspired by Scotty, and a lot of other makers but this one isnt a copy. The circle texas logo - copy. This putter above, not so.

Lol, are you joking?

That "Winner Winner" is my putter that Scotty made me a year ago after I beat him golfing. I'm not sure there's another Scotty stamped that way, it's pretty unique, could be a 1-off with that stamping.. so to see Lamb of all people come out with a putter like that with a similar finish and attempt at contrasting neck is hilarious. Using the #DoNotCopy hashtag on Instagram and then copying things is really hilarious.

Tyson has DM'd me in the past, and I've actually liked some of his work, but talking sh&t about Scotty and then blatantly copying his (and other putter makers) designs is turning me off to him and his company. We've seen this before with Bettinardi and the Kool Aide stuff and making fun of Scotty, then attempting the same exact thing and even copying his stuff/marketing/stamps etc. My perspective on this is that if you're going to mock other putter makers, don't copy what they are doing and let your creativity and products speak for themselves.

Right, Ok. It's your putter. Was I supposed to know? Are you some kind of celebrity? I don't recall your name and i've never seen your putter before. I assumed Winner Winner was just a good feeling stamp that somebody put on a Cameron.... I'm so sorry I didnt know it was your putter and I didn't know your totally awesome Scotty story. Yawn.

^ This, and the interview about "Is Tyson Lamb the next Scotty Cameron?" did it for me. If young/talented/brash/arrogant is an angle he's trying, it's not impressive. It just makes me roll my eyes. If that's how he actually is, he comes across like a total d-bag.

Agree for the most part. The difficult thing is the volumes of stampings which have already been done. Are putter makers supposed to scan every putter ever stamped to ensure it has never been done before? In this case, Winner Winner is certainly a unique stamping and the placement/usage is suspect for sure. But, i'm sure some other putter maker somewhere has stamped some version of Winner Winner Chicken Dinner on a putter at some point prior to or concurrently with the Scotty posted here. I had a brief discussion once with Tyson regarding stamping and creating his own brand and originality and what drives most of the similar stamping to other craftsmen is the customer. So while I certainly see the issue with similarities and creating uniqueness, ultimately accepted and desired putter shapes have all been done, and thus it's up to the maker to find their niche. But in doing so, customers with the $$$ can sway that vision. That's my take any way, in a rambling sense.

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

what confuses me is what are we debating? does tyson make beautiful putters? yes. Has he copied Scotty's headshape (which is Karsten headshape to be accurate)? yes. does everyone copy everyone? yes. is anyone coming close to competing with Scotty? no.

im gonna venture out on a limb and say that few people on WRX have more high dollar putters then i do (mostly camerons) and i am also going to venture that i am one of the biggest Scotty fans and historians out there. not bragging just stating facts. Tyson Lamb's putters are equal to quality of Scotty Camerons, but he has created more original details due to the fact that he is a better machinist then Scotty is and he doesnt have people pulling at him the way Scotty does, so he can give extra attention to detail. Tyson's putters are more interesting then 95% of Scotty's. unless Scotty does the ultra high end everything these days is just CNCed and then stamped (not by Scotty by the way).

i think Tyson needs to hire more employees to handle his every increasing customer role so that he is able to stay on top of orders and customer satisfaction. but give him some time. Tyson was a nobody this time last year. Now he is one of the most talked about makers in all of golf. does he have some deficiencies? absolutely. but those can be attributed to growing pains and starting a new business in a field dominated by veterans. bottom line is Tyson is selling lots of putters and is only going to blow up even more after the PGA Show in a few weeks.

as far as the brash and arrogant stuff goes......yes it comes off as cocky to some, but if you ever speak with Tyson you will know hes quite humble.....but you get bashed non stop for a year online and see what your attitude becomes like.

im never giving up my Scotty collection, however i am going to collect this young mans putters for the simple fact that i personally believe that he is making the nicest sticks out there right now, that to me look like they are also the nicest engineered. do some copy other makers work? sure but everyone does that.

as far as the "winner winner" putter goes.....give me a break. that putters only similarity is the bumper stamping....nothing else looks the same. literally nothing. i mean if you want to find something wrong with everything the kid does or anyone does im sure you'll find things all day long.

is anyone disputing the fact that Tyson's putters are some of the nicest out there? isnt that all that should matter?

-Santo

Santo - Thanks for chiming in. After seeing your IG feed I tend to agree about the awesomeness of your collection. Anyway. There seem to be a few debates going on all at once for a few pages and then we start to call names. Not fun.

Tyson's work looks good: yes

Tyson copied other designs: him and the rest of the free world. Who cares unless it is a copyright infringement.

Brash/Arrogant: I don't care but apparently some here think it is a turn off. Having spoken to him and Tana, I do not feel that way.

Quality: most of us don't know because during the making process it has stalled and failed when some of us were willing to drop decent money on a putter we had never tested. (this is probably my biggest "gripe")

Customer Service: An extreme challenge and one that has been touched on here a lot. I know the size of their business which you mentioned but I feel it's killing them and turning a lot of people off - including myself. I am patient, but when things are said to me as far as a timeframe, I believe it and will hold a person or company to it. That wasn't met here and is an extreme disappointment to me. Had I been updated as to an adjustment of timeframe etc, my patience may have continued.

what confuses me is what are we debating? does tyson make beautiful putters? yes. Has he copied Scotty's headshape (which is Karsten headshape to be accurate)? yes. does everyone copy everyone? yes. is anyone coming close to competing with Scotty? no.

im gonna venture out on a limb and say that few people on WRX have more high dollar putters then i do (mostly camerons) and i am also going to venture that i am one of the biggest Scotty fans and historians out there. not bragging just stating facts. Tyson Lamb's putters are equal to quality of Scotty Camerons, but he has created more original details due to the fact that he is a better machinist then Scotty is and he doesnt have people pulling at him the way Scotty does, so he can give extra attention to detail. Tyson's putters are more interesting then 95% of Scotty's. unless Scotty does the ultra high end everything these days is just CNCed and then stamped (not by Scotty by the way).

i think Tyson needs to hire more employees to handle his every increasing customer role so that he is able to stay on top of orders and customer satisfaction. but give him some time. Tyson was a nobody this time last year. Now he is one of the most talked about makers in all of golf. does he have some deficiencies? absolutely. but those can be attributed to growing pains and starting a new business in a field dominated by veterans. bottom line is Tyson is selling lots of putters and is only going to blow up even more after the PGA Show in a few weeks.

as far as the brash and arrogant stuff goes......yes it comes off as cocky to some, but if you ever speak with Tyson you will know hes quite humble.....but you get bashed non stop for a year online and see what your attitude becomes like.

im never giving up my Scotty collection, however i am going to collect this young mans putters for the simple fact that i personally believe that he is making the nicest sticks out there right now, that to me look like they are also the nicest engineered. do some copy other makers work? sure but everyone does that.

as far as the "winner winner" putter goes.....give me a break. that putters only similarity is the bumper stamping....nothing else looks the same. literally nothing. i mean if you want to find something wrong with everything the kid does or anyone does im sure you'll find things all day long.

is anyone disputing the fact that Tyson's putters are some of the nicest out there? isnt that all that should matter?

-Santo

With due respect Santo, what's your SC collection worth? Like $100k or something, right?

I know that assuming isn't good, but assuming you live in a tax bracket where you can pay for whatever you want from Tyson, and wait for however long you need to get it. Not hating or judging, just saying you probably have some leeway. Considering that, it's understandable that you would look past some of his shortcomings and choose to focus on the good. However, we're not all in that same situation.

Despite his arrogant bashing of other putter companies—which happened before any of these threads popped up on GolfWRX—many here still sought him out, dollars in hand, seeking to get something made and give a small manufacturer a try. From the feedback here, it looks like many or most of those people were strung out, back-burnered, or ignored. Considering their perspective, it's reasonable to understand why all the negativity has popped up. Why would they not be upset? They rightfully expected better service, especially considering the price point.

Like has been said soooooo many times on here. No one is questioning the quality of his putters. Just the way he has appeared to mock the very people he is copying, and for the way he has interacted with some people wanting to give him money.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

-Santo

With due respect Santo, what's your SC collection worth? Like $100k or something, right?

I know that assuming isn't good, but assuming you live in a tax bracket where you can pay for whatever you want from Tyson, and wait for however long you need to get it. Not hating or judging, just saying you probably have some leeway. Considering that, it's understandable that you would look past some of his shortcomings and choose to focus on the good. However, we're not all in that same situation.

Despite his arrogant bashing of other putter companies—which happened before any of these threads popped up on GolfWRX—many here still sought him out, dollars in hand, seeking to get something made and give a small manufacturer a try. From the feedback here, it looks like many or most of those people were strung out, back-burnered, or ignored. Considering their perspective, it's reasonable to understand why all the negativity has popped up. Why would they not be upset? They rightfully expected better service, especially considering the price point.

Like has been said soooooo many times on here. No one is questioning the quality of his putters. Just the way he has appeared to mock the very people he is copying, and for the way he has interacted with some people wanting to give him money.

Very fair post. my SC collection is extensive and i only show some of it on IG and TCC, but you are correct in that my tax bracket and disposable income allows me to have some patience. i totally agree with you that he needs to improve on his communication. i have told him many times he needs someone who job description is keeping customers updated and informed during the process. their only job should be to service the clients and keep constant contact.

all i want some to understand is that the cockiness i believe is a defense mechanism against the constant onslaught of criticism. perhaps its the age (hes still very young) and the generation that he is apart of. i agree there are areas to clean up, and i would also like to see him do things more unique to himself. i think the new heel milling on the face and seperating the two is unique and different. but communication is always been his problem. also Tyson is very engaging. he will talk to you. Scotty's way of handling everything was to ignore it and put distributors in place to handle all of that. Scotty also didnt have to worry about the internet when he started out./

just for fun.....looking at the banner at the bottom of the screen i see the new PING PLD1 which has a bomb on the heal of the putter....right when Scotty put his big red cherry bomb. should people attack PING for copying Scotty on that. of course not. its whatever sells putter. im sure Scotty is flattered by everyone copying him. it means he is doing something right.

i am biased as i consider Tyson a good friend. i met him at the PGA Show last year with Jim Butler and his energy is hard to overlook. the guy is a golf club nerd that also likes to create things. i think he went from 0-100 real quick and hes learning how to build a business from the ground up. there are going to be growing pains. i dont even have a putter yet. i will be getting mine at the PGA Show in a few weeks. but i think he is only going to get better and once you deal with Tyson id find you hard pressed not to like him.

i say give him a chance to catch up and give him a call....he actually answers his phone. hes 28 and makes great stuff. i am willing to be a little patient. i would just like people to cut him a little slack and give him a chance. as a collector of putters i do think hes going to be the next big thing. but thats just one man's humble opinion.

just for fun.....looking at the banner at the bottom of the screen i see the new PING PLD1 which has a bomb on the heal of the putter....right when Scotty put his big red cherry bomb. should people attack PING for copying Scotty on that. of course not. its whatever sells putter. im sure Scotty is flattered by everyone copying him. it means he is doing something right.

i am biased as i consider Tyson a good friend. i met him at the PGA Show last year with Jim Butler and his energy is hard to overlook. the guy is a golf club nerd that also likes to create things. i think he went from 0-100 real quick and hes learning how to build a business from the ground up. there are going to be growing pains. i dont even have a putter yet. i will be getting mine at the PGA Show in a few weeks. but i think he is only going to get better and once you deal with Tyson id find you hard pressed not to like him.

i say give him a chance to catch up and give him a call....he actually answers his phone. hes 28 and makes great stuff. i am willing to be a little patient. i would just like people to cut him a little slack and give him a chance. as a collector of putters i do think hes going to be the next big thing. but thats just one man's humble opinion.

Your opinion and humble in the same sentence? I think not my man, haha.

It sounds to me like the biggest gripe is the customer service aspect. I have actually heard very little (if any) complaints on anything regarding the quality of his products. In fact, I think this thread (and the other) were originally started as a means to get more information and pictures of putters coming out (if any) as there only seems to be 2-3 of them floating around and then some stuff up on IG. I understand he is getting stuff together for the PGA show, so maybe that is when we finally get to see all the magic.

As for "copying" I will reiterate what has already been said, no one (well most are not) is saying that he is wrong for copying a headshape. Every putter maker to an extent has done that (and admitted as much). However, I think you, and anyone else jumping in to defend him, would be hard pressed to say he is not blatantly copying stuff. I respectfully disagree on your take on the "winner winner" putter. It's a two tone putter with bumper stamping just like Tai's. The only thing missing is the flying T stamp, which is obviously not going to be put on a Lamb putter. You can call me one of Tai's thugs, or whatever it is you may think I am, but I call it like I see it. I don't need allegiance to anything or anyone to do that. It's in my DNA.

Even without that as an example, there are plenty others. I think the kid can make some great stuff, I just wish he would try to go more original than where he is currently at (hell, maybe he will going forward. Like everyone says, he is still young). I will give him this though, at least he doesn't just take from one particular brand, or heck, even one particular industry. Dude is robbing from Keurig and Krispy Kreme and messing with the coffee and donut world which is screwing with my inner fat kid!

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

...at least he doesn't just take from one particular brand, or heck, even one particular industry. Dude is robbing from Keurig and Krispy Kreme....

kik-crazy-cards.jpg

homeheader.jpg

For starters... :)

M3 9.5* - Fujikura 757TR
M5 15* - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
M1 5W - Fujikura Speeder 8.1
P760 3i - KBS $ Taper Black
P730 5-PW - KBS $ Taper Black
Milled Grind 50 & 55 DG TI Onyx
Hi-Toe 60 DG TI Onyx
Spider X Navy

Your opinion and humble in the same sentence? I think not my man, haha.

It sounds to me like the biggest gripe is the customer service aspect. I have actually heard very little (if any) complaints on anything regarding the quality of his products. In fact, I think this thread (and the other) were originally started as a means to get more information and pictures of putters coming out (if any) as there only seems to be 2-3 of them floating around and then some stuff up on IG. I understand he is getting stuff together for the PGA show, so maybe that is when we finally get to see all the magic.

As for "copying" I will reiterate what has already been said, no one (well most are not) is saying that he is wrong for copying a headshape. Every putter maker to an extent has done that (and admitted as much). However, I think you, and anyone else jumping in to defend him, would be hard pressed to say he is not blatantly copying stuff. I respectfully disagree on your take on the "winner winner" putter. It's a two tone putter with bumper stamping just like Tai's. The only thing missing is the flying T stamp, which is obviously not going to be put on a Lamb putter. You can call me one of Tai's thugs, or whatever it is you may think I am, but I call it like I see it. I don't need allegiance to anything or anyone to do that. It's in my DNA.

Even without that as an example, there are plenty others. I think the kid can make some great stuff, I just wish he would try to go more original than where he is currently at (hell, maybe he will going forward. Like everyone says, he is still young). I will give him this though, at least he doesn't just take from one particular brand, or heck, even one particular industry. Dude is robbing from Keurig and Krispy Kreme and messing with the coffee and donut world which is screwing with my inner fat kid!

Maybe he can throw the Circle TX...cough "Go Texan" logo on too.

Sim - Ad TP
M5 15 - Diamana B
Vapor Pro 
SM8 53, 58 
BM DH89SS 

-Santo

i have told him many times he needs someone who job description is keeping customers updated and informed during the process. their only job should be to service the clients and keep constant contact.

I don't understand how this hasn't happened yet. I'm sure there are plenty of qualified people willing to do this job, even part time at something like $20/hr. With the amount he charges for putters, there has to be enough in the margins of 1 single putter sold to pay this person's salary for a month or two. Are the Lamb's being stingy or incompetent?

i would never call you out J, and i would certainly never call you one of Tai's thugs. i dont think i have ever even used anything remotely like that about Tai. too be honest i dont really have time in my life to think about him or anyone else. 2 kids now has priorities focused on other things. i spoke to Tyson about the winner winner putter and he told me he never even saw that putter. he said it was purely coincidence. that the bumper stamps directly relate to the sole stamps. but i guess anyone is welcome to think anything they like.

i have never had any issues with you my friend. and i respect your opinion and will reiterate yours and others concerns to Tyson when i see him in a few weeks. hope everything is going well with you counselor.

and technically your correct J.....i am far from humble. if anything im a dick. but ive come to accept myself....at least thats what my therapist says i need to do....if your not going to change learn to accept the consequences. when im wrong i am always happy to apologize though. i tried to apologize about somethings to a few people, never heard so much as booooo back from them.

one thing i can say about Tyson is if he screws up he does try and make it right....which to me is a step in the right direction. ill post photos of my putter when i get back from the show.

I have his Halloween cover and it really is cool looking. The colors are nice the quality is good on it. Dont know if he made those himself or just came up with the idea and someone else produced though. I like it.

All of his headcovers are pretty cool looking. Just dont have the money to get a customer putter anyways and I am sure it couldn't knock the ole #7 out of the bag anyways.