Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to argue the fact that TL makes some really high quality looking products.. BUT, if you're going to continually take shots at Scotty Cameron.. why keep copying his stuff?

I mean..

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-18%20at%209.14.38%20AM.png

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a logo for him to copy... at least it would be somewhat original, and look cool on the face/heel of a putter.

sheep-head-icon_23-2147502357.jpg

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

The logo stuff is a little bit over board with how unoriginal they are. I mean, I read Circle Texas and smirked, the slogan is fine, but in context of Circle T, and the logo being right off of a farmers market webpage is a little much.

That being said, he's very dedicated to creating some really cool products. Some of it might be too edgy, or whatever, for some people, and I respect that, but at least he's focused on being original with his putters, and outside of BM, he's one of few that have done it in a way that doesn't have some sort of eye sore involved with it.

IMO, compared to some offerings out there, his putters justify a higher premium than some others I have seen. I mean, the markup on any of them, from any maker, is pretty outstanding, but I at least like the fact that everything he has and does is custom, and he puts a premium on craftsmanship. I'm not saying that's different than other putter makers out there, but sometimes I get a little confused on weather a putter is actually a custom putter, or it's just an OTR putter with a tour stamp that they sold for $5k more. That is not directed at any putter maker in particular, but I just have a hard time understanding that particular scenario.

I do often wonder how BM can make some relatively similar putters, similar materials, etc. for a fraction of the cost though. I understand that Tyson's business needs to get some capital built and that starting a business such as his requires some SERIOUS overhear, so I'm curious to know if prices will come down, and some not-so-custom putters will be made at some point, or if he's strictly in the market for the big money, custom putters. It's not bad either way. There's enough makers out there of $300 putters to make someones head spin, but it's just something I'm curious about.

His alleged customer service woes are reminiscent of experiences I am sure we have all had. I have a putter it took me close to 6 months to get. I emailed MannKrafted (Lamont) several months ago with money in hand to have one done and never got a response at all. Like.. take my money, man. As putters aren't his only business, and also aren't the business that puts food on the table, I'm sure less attention is given to this part of his shop. I believe customer service is the most important part of any business, but it's all to common that when the growing pains start, the CS is what drops in quality first. Again, not an excuse for it, but people seem to love to hate on him about it, and whenever someone says something about a Major OEM sending them something messed up, people defend the OEM because CQ is hard. If he's an a-hole, well that's one thing, but it doesn't appear to be the case when people are able to interact with him.

I'm not saying that's different than other putter makers out there, but sometimes I get a little confused on weather a putter is actually a custom putter, or it's just an OTR putter with a tour stamp that they sold for $5k more. That is not directed at any putter maker in particular, but I just have a hard time understanding that particular scenario.

Really? LOL

That is not directed at any putter maker in particular... it's directed at all of the putter makers who regularly sell $5K putters with tour stamps. :WTF:

I do often wonder how BM can make some relatively similar putters, similar materials, etc. for a fraction of the cost though.

Byron is pretty much a one man shop... he has a lot less people to pay.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I'm not saying that's different than other putter makers out there, but sometimes I get a little confused on weather a putter is actually a custom putter, or it's just an OTR putter with a tour stamp that they sold for $5k more. That is not directed at any putter maker in particular, but I just have a hard time understanding that particular scenario.

Really? LOL

That is not directed at any putter maker in particular... it's directed at all of the putter makers who regularly sell $5K putters with tour stamps. :WTF:

I do often wonder how BM can make some relatively similar putters, similar materials, etc. for a fraction of the cost though.

Tyson only has him and his mom....so how's that really any different? His prices are double BM?

Byrons GSS goes for 1k, Tysons start at 3k

Really? LOL

Well there's not many putter makers who do this, but there's more than one, and I didn't say regularly sells. Only one regularly sells, and yes he's part of my statement, but not all of it. I also said that I admire the true custom work of all of these makers. It's just the OTR models that have little else into them that I don't care for, because that part is just marketing. Albeit, good marketing. When a manufacturer sells something for more because it cost them more time, more money, and more in better materials on top of it being rare, then that's one thing, but when they make it rare by something really small and simple, requiring little extra be put in, then that's the part I don't care for as much, that's all.

If you look in my sig at any given time, there's generally a scotty in the bag. I love Scotty's and have no problem with the guy, and especially no problem with his putters, it's just a fundamental issue I have with business tactics sometimes, and they aren't employed by him only. TM paints an M1 red-white-and blue and sells it for another $300... that's the same thing to me as some of the scenarios I have attempted to point out.

I wasn't aware that Tyson had a full staff? He's shown plenty of pics of his shop and there isn't room for a whole ton of people. Paying for that equipment would be more expensive than paying a few guys for a year or two.

Really? LOL

Tyson only has him and his mom....so how's that really any different? His prices are double BM?

TJ: Wanna sell me that T-MB 2i? lol

And the GSS thing is what I was talking about.. It's hard to imagine how, from one boutique shop to another, a putter of the same material, shape, size, etc.. can warrant a price tag of that much more.

Really? LOL

TJ: Wanna sell me that T-MB 2i? lol

And the GSS thing is what I was talking about.. It's hard to imagine how, from one boutique shop to another, a putter of the same material, shape, size, etc.. can warrant a price tag of that much more.

You a lefty?

Not really! Haha. LOVE my 2 and 3 even more since I put HZRDUS blacks in them. Didn't think it was possible to love them this much but they are so many.

Sorry off topic! Haha

His prices are high because Jim Butler is his marketing/distributor partner and he wants to be positioned in line with Cameron right out of the gates.

And before someone says he can sell his putters at whatever price people are willing to pay... I totally realize that. But it seems very odd to me that his "stock" offerings start at $1K.

Most boutique putter makers have had a line of putters in the $300-$400 range with custom options as well as higher tiered options such as GSS, different necks, and one off milled models.

- Josh

His prices are high because Jim Butler is his marketing/distributor partner and he wants to be positioned in line with Cameron right out of the gates.

And before someone says he can sell his putters at whatever price people are willing to pay... I totally realize that. But it seems very odd to me that his "stock" offerings start at $1K.

Most boutique putter makers have had a line of putters in the $300-$400 range with custom options as well as higher tiered options such as GSS, different necks, and one off milled models.

- Josh

I agree with only having something at that high of a PP, but it seems to work for most companies out there that are doing this. The high end market is largely untapped, and although the market is smaller, the earning potential is much higher. I would think it'd make sense to have something at the $300-$500 range so people get a taste and then want something special, like Byron, but Tyson seems to be doing fine, and good for him. He's my age, and I wish I could be doing what he's doing.

Byron also sells a TON more putters than Tyson does.

He actually has a big following in Japan that not a lot of people know about... and that market demands that the putters are GSS. Byron is most likely buying in larger quantities, selling more pieces and only has himself on the payroll (for the most part).

If you need to make a certain amount of money to get by, you have to price your product accordingly. Some people prefer to sell more volume at lower price points, and others like to sell fewer pieces at higher price points. Tyson has chosen the latter business model... and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

If he can make a comfortable living with his current price points and output, then I commend him... I know that I'd love to work for myself. Plus, it just gives us (the consumer) another option to consider.

TaylorMade Driver
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)

The Circle Texas logo is a blatant rip, but I'm willing to give him a soft pass on it.

There are quite a few Texas manufacturers who put the logo on their packaging or product labeling. Granted, I've never seen it featured so obviously or predominately—or used as a primary company logo—but there is an industry standard in Texas of using it on Texas made products to promote Texas pride.

Why someone would be proud of being from Texas is another matter, but we can let that one rest. :D

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

The Circle Texas logo is a blatant rip, but I'm willing to give him a soft pass on it.

There are quite a few Texas manufacturers who put the logo on their packaging or product labeling. Granted, I've never seen it featured so obviously or predominately—or used as a primary company logo—but there is an industry standard in Texas of using it on Texas made products to promote Texas pride.

Why someone would be proud of being from Texas is another matter, but we can let that one rest. :D

http://www.gotexan.org/ForMembers/GOTEXANMark.aspx

This link lays out clearly that it can be used once you become a member to help consumers quickly identify quality products.

However it must always have the wording "go Texan" below it.

Being that his circle Texas logo doesn't, that leads me to believe he did rip it off and he could face some serious trademark infringement retributions. Especially if it's federally registered. It is a government site after all.

- Josh

This is spot-on with his pricing and reason for such numbers. There is no money for Butler at a price point of $4-500 and he does not want to do the immense amount of work that he did to build the Cameron collector market, again. Inside source for that info.

Beautiful putters, but that is all I will say.

LaMont in AZ

Homer Simpson approves . . .

It's hard to be original in this world.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon