2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Tiger Coming Back!!??!! (Merged)

texasdave

Golf is in a very good place right now, Day, DJ, Spieth, Fowler, Walker and Bubba- there is genuine competitive rivalry with sportsmanship, respect and humor every weekend.

With Tigers news that he "may " play, (the announcement to me did not sound 100% sounded like 80-90%)

Tiger not playing competitive golf it would be a shame if the entire PGA field just lapped him these past few years. A lot of people maybe excited on his return, but how excited will they be with a couple of top 50s and missed cuts?

Time will tell. Golf is in a very good position either way

Living under a rock these days?.... 7 pages on Tiger's announcement.. 5 pages on the previous "playoff" event in golf. hmmmm....

Gonna have to agree with Stu_man on this one. It's hard to say that golf is in a good place when all you hear is how much membership and participation is on the decline, Nike closing it's shop, and Adidas shopping the money pit of TM. To say that Tiger's absence had nothing to do with that you'd be a fool. Yea, golf is in a good place with DJ, Rory, Day, and Speith for the die hard golf fanatic, but to the average sports fan and consumer, nobody cares until Tiger returns.

Tigers return is good for TV ratings and ticket sales but it does nothing to help your average golf course or equipment manufacturers. It also increases interest here but as big and as much as I love this place most golfers I know have never heard of GolfWRX.

At this stage, I view people tuning in or attending to just to watch Tiger the same way as I view people who watch or attend hockey only for the fights.

Thats totally wrong though. Ill for sure tune into the Safeway (a tournament i wouldn't normally watch) just to watch Tiger. Who wouldn't want to watch only their favorite golfer, especially when you haven't seen him play in over a year? A person watching hockey just for the fights doesn't know a thing about the fantastic game that hockey is. Terrible comparison.

Titleist TSI3 Tour AD MT 7S
Taylormade SIM 14* Tour AD IZ 7S
Mizuno Fli Hi 2 & 3 iron
Miura CB 1008 4-PW Nippon Super Peening Orange
NCW 52 - 57
Scotty Cameron Bullseye

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the near future Tiger has to choose Titleist or bridgestone golf ball. I hope Titleist even though Nike swoosh was a Bridgestone in disguise.

Wk

Are you aware Bridgestone sued Titleist, and won, from Titleist infringing on Bridgestone patents applied to the ProV1 series? Titleist pays Bridgestone a royalty for each ProV1 sold, so in effect, the ProV1 is very much a Bridgestone ball as well.

Past performance is clearly no indicator of future performance.

Lol... He's not a mutual fund.

So you think a 40 year old athlete with multiple back surgeries and other ailments can perform close to what they were in their prime? If so, that's delusional. So yeah my statements stand.

Its golf.......not the NFL so yes, I'm sure a 40 year old is capable of making that comeback.

So you think a 40 year old athlete with multiple back surgeries and other ailments can perform close to what they were in their prime? If so, that's delusional. So yeah my statements stand.

Its golf.......not the NFL so yes, I'm sure a 40 year old is capable of making that comeback.

A comeback to the level he was at his prime? I wouldn't mind seeing that at all, but that's probably not happening

And I'd say just coming back from multiple back surgeries that has kept him out for this period of time and trying to return to an elite level isn't as trivial as some would think

Tiger has pretty much said as much as well

Yadi for President

A comeback to the level he was at his prime? I wouldn't mind seeing that at all, but that's probably not happening

And I'd say just coming back from multiple back surgeries that has kept him out for this period of time and trying to return to an elite level isn't as trivial as some would think

Again, its golf. I have no doubt he will be back in contention and win if he stays healthy. At the end of the day winning out there comes more down to short game and putting than anything. If he has his short game and putting as sharp as it was in his prime he will be right there.

cant wait to see which equipment companies win this lottery... whoever it is better be ready for an influx of orders... if he brings out a set of mizuno or miura irons i forsee a backlog to fulfill....

What exactly would you base this on? Didn't Nike just go out of business because they didn't sell enough equipment even though they have Tiger, Rory, and a host of other studs on staff? If he comes back with Miura irons do you really think hundreds of people are going to order a $3k set of irons? Going back to a Cameron is going to make a lot of guys happy, but it won't sell any putters. I think the only thing that makes news here is which driver he plays...........and that's only contingent on him actually hitting it well........which is a BIG assumption at 40+ years old and post 3 back surgeries.

I guess we shall see. When Phil swaps wedges or drivers .... They sell. When Rory swaps putters. ... They sell .... When Jordan Spieth wins 2 majors with a 009 they sell.... And for 10-15% more than they had been. But hey. Maybe tiger will not have the same effect ?! Hmmmm

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

At this stage, I view people tuning in or attending to just to watch Tiger the same way as I view people who watch or attend hockey only for the fights.

Thats totally wrong though. Ill for sure tune into the Safeway (a tournament i wouldn't normally watch) just to watch Tiger. Who wouldn't want to watch only their favorite golfer, especially when you haven't seen him play in over a year? A person watching hockey just for the fights doesn't know a thing about the fantastic game that hockey is. Terrible comparison.

And yet your statement means it is the perfect comparison.

Again, its golf. I have no doubt he will be back in contention and win if he stays healthy. At the end of the day winning out there comes more down to short game and putting than anything. If he has his short game and putting as sharp as it was in his prime he will be right there.

Age affects golfers too, albeit a bit later than in football. Historically, there have been very few players who have done much after turning 41.

"At the end of the day winning out there comes more down to short game and putting than anything".... yeah, that's just not correct.

When you are a fan of TW, this is why we're glad he's going to play again. Maybe not at this level.......maybe so..........can't wait to find out.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

I just think it sucks that he's taking a spot in the field away from someone who could really use that, and might actually make it to the weekend.

Guys, don't feed trolls like this one. It makes them continue to live. Ignore them and they'll starve from the lack reaction they're getting. Just point and laugh at the stupidity.

When you are a fan of TW, this is why we're glad he's going to play again. Maybe not at this level.......maybe so..........can't wait to find out.

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

Where's the original blotted out image?

I can't find it. Maybe someone with a twitter account can ask.

this pic??

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-09%20at%201.42.05%20PM_zpsy1xcgwhk.png

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

Golf Channel posted a pictorial of Tigers 30 Greatest Statistical Feats. Regardless if you like him or not it just illustrates how good of a player he was.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/tigers-30-greatest-statistical-feats

This is #14:

From 2002-05, Tiger had 1,540 putts from 3 feet and in on the PGA Tour. He only missed three of them.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Golf Channel posted a pictorial of Tigers 30 Greatest Statistical Feats. Regardless if you like him or not it just illustrates how good of a player he was.

http://www.golfchann...atistical-feats

This is #14:

From 2002-05, Tiger had 1,540 putts from 3 feet and in on the PGA Tour. He only missed three of them.

I always find his cuts missed to be one of the most incredible:

"Tiger has missed 15 cuts on the PGA Tour as a professional. Jordan Spieth has missed 14. Spieth was three years old when Tiger turned pro."

This is #14:

"Tiger has missed 15 cuts on the PGA Tour as a professional. Jordan Spieth has missed 14. Spieth was three years old when Tiger turned pro."

In 2 years, TW won 17 PGA Tour events.

This is #14:

Pretty good. Byron won 26 in 1944 & 1945.

This is #14:

Tiger is great, but as a bit of perspective remember that by the early 2000s he was playing a limited schedule and only a handful of "full cut" events each year. There's no cut in the WGCs or the last two Fedex events; and the invitationals, the masters, and the first two Fedex events have small cuts.

This is #14:

Tiger is great, but as a bit of perspective remember that by the early 2000s he was playing a limited schedule and only a handful of "full cut" events each year. There's no cut in the WGCs or the last two Fedex events; and the invitationals, the masters, and the first two Fedex events have small cuts.

While true that he played a more limited schedule and some of those were limited or no cut, he didn't finish anywhere near the hypothetical cut lines in those events from 2000-2009.

This is #14:

Stud,

And you know what he said to Tom Watson about TW,

"Nelson called his ward, the great Tom Watson. "I've seen Ben [Hogan] and Jack and you. I've seen 'em all," said Nelson. "Tom, this young fellow has no weakness.""

Clearly, he knew the best when he saw him ; )

This is #14:

Wait, there's no cut at the Memorial, or Colonial and other invatationals?

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

This is #14:

Stud,

[media=]

[/media]

And you know what he said to Tom Watson about TW,

"Nelson called his ward, the great Tom Watson. "I've seen Ben [Hogan] and Jack and you. I've seen 'em all," said Nelson. "Tom, this young fellow has no weakness.""

Clearly, he knew the best when he saw him ; )

Byron simply ran out of time to see the full picture, turns out Tiger had a bunch of weaknesses, which is why he hasn't won a major in 8, soon to be 9 years. And why it's unlikely he'll ever win any professional tournament again, save perhaps the 2026 Tostitos Open.

This is #14:

Wait, there's no cut at the Memorial, or Colonial and other invatationals?

Small cut. Field size is 120, which typically means about 40 players get cut, instead of 70-80 at a regular full field event.