Protecting Your Irons from Dents/Dings/Bag Chatter

Bomber_11

I speak mostly of blade or generally forged irons. I hate bag chatter more than anything - but I'm not prepared to go to the extreme of iron covers. As someone who cleans his irons after every round of golf - I'd really like to find a way to protect them from all of the nicks and indentations they receive from banging around against eachother in the bag. I'm trying to make my Vapor Pro's last a solid 5-7 years, and although it doesn't effect performance, I just hate the look and idea of bag chatter on clubs.

Has anyone found any successful ways to alleviate this? I have a Nike stand bag that has approximately 10 dividers. Even the hosels of my clubs seem to be getting nicks and notches on them. The face of my 9i took a hit from something at the bottom and has a major dent in it. Kind of frustrating since I take extreme caution to keep my clubs pristine.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Golf-Bag-9-Iron-Club-Holder-Stacker-Rack-Organizer-Accessories-Blk-/291471025513

I use iron covers, so I cannot vouch for the effectiveness of this item or its durability. I just happened to see it many years ago.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

Many years ago, when I cared about such things, I would weave a large towel among my irons. No chatter.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Another vote for the Ogio bag my friend.

Don't blame you at all for wanting your sticks to stay looking great. I love my Ogio and while I don't play forged irons my wedges are forged and I have purchased/tested Mizunos - using the same bag with really awesome results.

They are going to get some battle scars. Comes with the territory of banging them against the earth about 200 times a round between the range session and the round at over 50 mph. But no sense making those chatter marks worse if it can be helped. Be sure to post whatever you went with!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Those goofy looking bags look worse than iron covers. You don't need to cover every iron.

Ping G400 SFT 12*

Ping G 5W 19*

Ping G  7W 21.5*

Ping G410 5 Hybrid 25*

Mizuno JPX 923 HM HL 6-GW

Cleveland CBX2 54* & 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport Mil Spec 340g @ 34”

Bettinardi BB1 350g @ 34”

Those goofy looking bags look worse than iron covers. You don't need to cover every iron.

The Silencer is a great looking bag, not sure what you are talking about.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Nice ideas here. Bag chatter doesn't bother me any but I do like the idea of having each club in it's own spot without moving all around the bag.

How does it handle really fat putter grips? I guess you are using the SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0 which is not nearly as fat as the grip I use (WinnPro X 1.60").

Nice ideas here. Bag chatter doesn't bother me any but I do like the idea of having each club in it's own spot without moving all around the bag.

How does it handle really fat putter grips? I guess you are using the SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0 which is not nearly as fat as the grip I use (WinnPro X 1.60").

Kahma has a really nice bag range that prevent chatter. Fat putter grips are no problem either.

www.kahmagolf.com

A user review and some pics here: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1153501-kahma-golf-bag-unofficial-review/page__fromsearch__1

putter well is pretty large on both the stand and cart bag, have both.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/...k-/291471025513

I use iron covers, so I cannot vouch for the effectiveness of this item or its durability. I just happened to see it many years ago.

I used the rack for many yrs. back in the day when I rode all the time and used a staff bag. It works really well on a staff bag. It may not work on just any bag.

Way way back I used a TRAY of sorts in my bag that separated the irons from each other and had a small hold on each head to keep them reasonably in place. The separate trays prevented them from banging against each other and therefore made the bag silent when walking. Surprising side benefit was that the bag actually became roomier because it also stopped shaft tangle. Downside was that the clubs had to be slotted into the bag and tray when replacing clubs. In my case, a two handed affair with the bag standing. It had slots for 9 clubs, I think. New downside is that the tray thing needed the old design bag that was divided into six slots. I can't imagine how it would fit into the modern day 14 slot bags, however, that tray also prevented the shafts from banging against each other, therefore protecting today's fancy paint jobs. The thing needed a small pouch cover for the iron heads to prevent them from falling out of their trays when being transported in a car boot. You also needed to make sure the size of the tray was perfect for the head size of the Iron to ensure best service. I thought it a great tool way cheap as you just added it to the bag, though the pouch was bound to get lost or worn out with time and use.

There was an alternative that was made to clip the hosel of the irons. It also organized a full set, but still allowed the clubs to do minor clicking when walking the course. Regardless, it solved the size problem.

Rather sad but I cannot remember the name of the tray or who made them. I suppose you might find one somewhere in somebody's old bag but I also wonder if you can still find bags of the old design.

Best alternative I can think of is to buy stainless steel clubs.

Shambles

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I will probably get torched for suggesting it, but the easiest way of protecting your clubs is covers - cover the lot, woods, irons and putter.

I keep all of my gear covered and apart from the normal wear and tear you see on the sole and face of the clubs they look brand new. The hosel, topline and backs of my clubs are as new - zero bag chatter. Pretty good result for forged irons. These irons have been in my bag for nearly 7 years and I will probably get another 5 years out of them before I go looking for something else.

Ive got a Silencer cart bag (red/silver). Great condition as it sits in my basement with extra clubs in it. Pm if interested as I use a bag with legs.

I've been debating trying one of these.

http://www.nevrlooz.com

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I use Club glove iron headcovers not necessarily because I have a big concern over dings, but they get rid of bag chatter and don't damage anything else that comes in contact with them. When I finish my round and put the club back into the trunk zip up the bag hood and everything fits nice and secure in their with nothing getting damaged or the sound of bag chatter. Irons that do not have covers on them will wear holes through the bag Hood. Some might complain that it takes extra time to remove and replace iron covers while playing golf is just not true.

I used Club Glove neoprene covers years back when I had forged irons (Armour 845cm Silverback mixed set, still miss those)... I kept using them for awhile after switching to cast but eventually tossed them in the old headcover/towel bin since there wasn't much point. I just moved back to forged irons (MX-200 like sneaky_pete, medallions removed and everything)... I bought them used in "value" grade from Global Golf and was expecting a lot of chatter but they came in looking almost new, so I quickly dug the covers out and also ordered a set of Chinese Club Glove knock-offs since it was the only way to get the bright-blue color I wanted with a tag instead of the little plastic window.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

$7 for covers or $230-$280 for a new bag... to each their own.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

I'll add that sparse chatter (a ding here, a mark there) doesn't look so good, but to me chatter looks great when there's so much that it all just blends together and it almost looks like it's the original finish.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...