Big, tall, or round golfer's. Get on in here.

How do you swing the club?

Whether you are broad chested, big bellied, 6 foot 8, etc. Basically your body is different compared to "normal" in dealing with the golf swing. How have you found ways to get around what gets in your way? If I had to guess, i would say most of us do not have the flexibility, so at best a 3/4 swing is our target. There are not many videos or articles on this kind of subject. So I thought we could start one here. A place where we could share what has worked/not worked over the years of trial and error.

Things like

Grip difficulties?

Are you a swinger or a hitter?

Do you anchor a side or centered in the middle?

Longer extended clubs?

"Patience without understanding"

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey bman, im with you on that one. Im not sure if an instructor would agree, but I feel like the takeaway is the most important. That feeling when your arm gets trapped under your chest at the beginning, and you feel like you can make half a swing and turn. That keeps creeping it's way back into my swing and is so frustrating.

I'm 6'5 and 250. I have my clubs playing off a 38.5" 5 iron and 1* upright. I am thinking about going another degree or 2 up just because I watch my divots and they are definitely too flat for me.

My problem is getting too steep I think because of improper turn. I focused this year on getting a good turn back and trying to swing instead of trying to hit. I can't get out of my way when I swing and kind of results in a cast instead of a rotation through the ball.

I'm 6'4" 235. My playing partner has a son with the same arm length, same height as me but rail thin. We set up to the ball very similar too. Where his hands met the grip and where mine do are very different. I play my clubs an inch longer than he does. Body type plays a huge role on being able to set up comfortably.

As for the grip, I've got two rows of calluses along the top of each hand, where it meets the fingers from the gym. I have big hands and have been fit for larger grips but find I need to stay closer to standard to work around the humps.

Luckily I've always been pretty flexible. As I get older and old injuries make it more difficult to stay that way, I needed something more, so I started adding yoga to my work outs once or twice a week. It really helps.

In the end, big guys are going to have more stuff in the way but there are huge advantages if we know/learn how to take advantage of them.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Just under 6'6" here, but pretty thin at around 220. I've never had the flexibility issue, in fact I would like for my swing to be shorter. It took me a while to figure out what lengths were best for me, and I have settled on 3/4" over in irons and wedges and pretty standard on woods. Biggest issue for me is swingweight with the irons because I like Project X 6.5s and it's tough to get the swingweight down when the clubs are that long.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I'm swinging the club the same way smaller guys do. My clubs are fitted differently though, I'm a little longer shafted and upright.

With that said, Monte helped me fix the width and depth of my swing, the length of my swing (which admittedly got sloppy after two years, but I started playing really well when I noticed and shortened it a bit), and the right elbow forward intent helps a lot.

I see a lot of smaller guys with the same fixes and intent, although I had to stretch and work on my flexibility a ton to get some of these things down.

I'm 6"0 but my upper body is the size of someone who's 6"3, it's very long and my legs are slightly shorter. It might be due to having an extra vertebrae L-6. My wingspan is also 74" but I have still have to get 1/2 inch longer than standard size shafts or I'll be super hunched over the ball and very steep to make contact. It's obviously not height related but maybe how far my upper body bends?

Only 6 ' 3'' but would say if I didn't have my clubs lengthened and a few degrees upright I would have pretty severe issues. This is especially true with wedges, you absolutely have to get the lob and sand wedges at a length that is long enough so that you don't feel like the hunch back of Norte dame standing over ship shots.

One thing that I've picked up on recently...

I started playing fairly recently, like 18 months ago. And when I was initially fitted, everything was too light. Or at least all my clubs feel too light now. My tempo can get really quick, almost whippy. The last month or so I've been playing around with much heavier clubs (80-90g driver shaft and 110-120g iron shafts) and they feel much more stable. It's much easier to make a core/body swing, rather than an arm swing. If that makes sense...

Only 6 ' 3'' but would say if I didn't have my clubs lengthened and a few degrees upright I would have pretty severe issues. This is especially true with wedges, you absolutely have to get the lob and sand wedges at a length that is long enough so that you don't feel like the hunch back of Norte dame standing over ship shots.

I have the same setup and I agree. My new maltby wedges are way better than anything else I have tried off the rack, they are unbelievable so far.

I have the same setup and I agree. My new maltby wedges are way better than anything else I have tried off the rack, they are unbelievable so far.

I'm going to play around with this idea this winter. I've never felt comfortable with the shorter clubs. I've extended everything 3/4. I had a fitter test me on wrist to ground and it came out +3/4. But when I grab the club, it raises my hands up from my arms and back size I believe. I feel like a t-rex lol. But when I ask the club fitter, he said no, +3/4 is right.

Doesn't it make more sense to fit golfers like this after they take their comfortable stance and measure where the club should be? I don't know much about fitting though.

I've always been curious on that same question. But you typically start with a standard length club as the baseline and they assess whether you can hit the center of the face. But just because you can hit the center of the face with a shorter club doesn't mean you might not be more comfortable with something else.

I'm 2" over on all wedges and irons.

Curious whether you were fitted for that of just experimented your way into it...always been interested in people who went substantially over length.

Fit by one of the best in Pa. I fought it. It sounded excessive to me.

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Curious whether you were fitted for that of just experimented your way into it...always been interested in people who went substantially over length.

Fit by one of the best in Pa. I fought it. It sounded excessive to me.

This has to be a tough transition. We all get so used to our posture and swing, that we just make the best of it. But what if those short clubs may one day injure your back? Or the extra length may unlock a free way to turn?

6'6" 305 lbs. irons have been fitted several times over the years, and are 2 degrees upright and 1.25" over. I have always hooked or pushed the ball. Suspect my inside takeaway causes me to get stuck in downswing and encourages a flip.

That inside takeaway loves large golfers! There are so many different ways to take the club back. And sometimes, you have to adapt to an awkward feeling just to keep your arms connected.

For a while there, the only thing that was not getting me stuck on the backswing was my left shoulder controlled the backswing. That worked good for a while, then my right side wanted some attention too, and turned into an ugly mess.

This video I saw recently helped. Basically just take club back straighter, slightly outside possibly. The catchers mitt, as I read here recently, encapsulated the swing thought well. Very early, but I can see a huge difference in position up top when compared to my normal inside takeaway. Seems I'm keeping club on plane in backswing better. No video yet, but the feeling is odd, and results noticeably better, so that's a good sign. Trying to stop flipping, stuck in downswing seemed to be possible cause, takeaway very directly connected to the root cause. Big snowball effect I've just scratched the surface of, but seems I'm on the right track.

Video below was quite helpful.

Do you know the swing weights of your clubs? Were they custom built with lighter heads or just off the rack with 2" added?

I do. D7. I buy everything from my golf club directly through the manufacture. Then I take them to my club builder and he does his magic.

He had to work pretty hard to get them down to D7.

If you're a bigger guy do not get caught up in the swing weights.

I think the larger issue is the quality control on the shafts. He builds all of mine to play at 6.8 frequency. The shafts I play are supposed to be right around that. I had one in my last set that was mid 7's. And another in the same set that was playing in the mid 6's. Have you ever wondered why one or two clubs in your bag just don't feel right to you?

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

6'4" 320 lbs with significant back issues. It's a little refreshing to hear others that feel traditional golf swing instruction isn't usually adapted to our physical realities. I don't think the standard "PGA instruction play book" really addresses the plus size crowd. Hopefully, I can shed more than a few pounds over the winter, but I don't ever anticipate being classified as thin and arthritis is still arthritis.

I'm going to play around with this idea this winter. I've never felt comfortable with the shorter clubs. I've extended everything 3/4. I had a fitter test me on wrist to ground and it came out +3/4. But when I grab the club, it raises my hands up from my arms and back size I believe. I feel like a t-rex lol. But when I ask the club fitter, he said no, +3/4 is right.

Hey Bro, thanks for inviting me...He's never fit King Kong before. Dude, you're huge. 3/4 isn't even close. Your shoulders and chest are larger than the average bear's ('cept maybe a Chicago BEAR) and the fitting chart doesn't take in someone whose physique is atypical...A 'Thorpedo' build...Short legs like a real NCAA Wrestler - or a 6'1 guy with 36" inseam.

You're strong enough that a little extra head weight won't be a big deal, you're not getting any younger so if you have a back sprain or two under your belt you want to 'stand taller'- but that's more from above the pelvis (get your chest up a little more. The lower body

will assume a solid, athletic 'defensive' posture and your heels should be at least as wide as your armpits for 7-down, and gradually get to shoulder width for woods - possibly a 'pinky toe or two' wider for driver - if you get my drift. The medial side of your lead arm

bicep should just sit a little on top of the lateral edge of your breast, so when you TILT the torso to the rear side, it can 'slide over

you chest easily...

Try a 1" long shaft with a 4up head (cause every cart has that one - never with bigger grips - but that's your starting point. I'll bet

you can assume a 2hybrid stance & tilt for that 7 and it'll still be off the floor...Now the guess work. Go 2". you can ALWAYS shorten it

BUT...every now and then, the ball's below your feet, it's cool out and you have extra layers on, or your back is just a little stiff...

shoot, you can always choke down. As big and muscular as you are, you shouldn't even be trying to get a skinny R.Fowler 46 degree hip

turn @ impact, so even on a well compressed 7 ir, your hands aren't gonna be as far 'forward', so I'm pretty sure getting height on irons isn't an issue. Think about soft- stepping stiffer shafts so they play 'softer' at the tip because of the two inch extra butt length...

Even if you HATE it - doubtful, but you can always cut them when you regrip...

See ya round campus

Great stuff Jim! I think I speak for a lot of us who would enjoy trying a swing that matches our body and flexibility. A lot of bigger guys have power, but don't know how to use it. And we get frustrated with trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

We have some giant's in this thread, and hopefully get these guys playing there own kind of golf that matches them. I play with a couple of old football buddies and we feel like idiots sometimes trying to play this game lol. It's a very humbling game. Hearing years of "just swing easy" is very difficult, and joining this forum opened up a lot our eye's on different ways to swing the club.

I've got some old ping eye 2s I'm going to lengthen 2 inches. I would love to swing more upright! Right now, I have to bend a bit more to my liking, round my shoulders down, and drop my wrists down to put a decent move on it. Hurts my back just typing it out.

My hands are "meaty" and I'm always fidgeting with my grip. I can have my left hand in the exact spot where it's supposed to be, but it always slips down in the palm area. Kind of excited to try standard grips again. The golf store store says "oh no, you need jumbo".

It sounds like you have a swing that is big and back friendly? That's music to our ears!!!

6'5" / 220.

Irons and wedges are +2-inches. Lie angle is 3º upright. Hybrids are +1-inch. My arms are relatively short, given my height, hence the extra length.

I always thought the shorter amateur had an advantage when it comes to swinging the club. They are closer to the ground, less stuff to go wrong. I have a tendency to get a bit steep.

Jim has me wanting to get a 7 iron extended to 2" just to test. I've hit 1.25" over and 2 degrees up for 15+ years. At 6'6" 305 and recent fusion back surgery from car wreck, I'm wondering if more upright may be a good position. I tested an older 37" putter the other day and loved it. All my putters are 34.25-35". That extra length really allowed me to stand more comfortably on practice putting green. Curious how similar extension would feel on irons.

Dan