Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

Picked up a G400 LS Tec from golf galaxy last night. Hoping it fixes ALL of my recent driving problems... FYI superstore didn't have any, most preorders are still waiting, and golf galaxy randomly had like 5 of the LS Tecs...

Want to test it Sunday afternoon?

I have member-member saturday/sunday this weekend at Highlands Ranch so hopefully I'll be drinking a beer celebrating sunday afternoon :)

The one at 92nd and Sheridan also has like 4. I'll stick with Epic for at least another week or two, lol.

What store is at 92 & Sheridan? I went to the Golf Galaxy off 36 and 104th last week only to see it is closed. Did they move?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a G400 LS Tec from golf galaxy last night. Hoping it fixes ALL of my recent driving problems... FYI superstore didn't have any, most preorders are still waiting, and golf galaxy randomly had like 5 of the LS Tecs...

I have member-member saturday/sunday this weekend at Highlands Ranch so hopefully I'll be drinking a beer celebrating sunday afternoon :)

The one at 92nd and Sheridan also has like 4. I'll stick with Epic for at least another week or two, lol.

My observation with Epic: All of my "older" friends are finding huge gains and love them. My "younger" friends can't seem to get things quite right with the Epic.

Anyone else noticing the same?

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

My observation with Epic: All of my "older" friends are finding huge gains and love them. My "younger" friends can't seem to get things quite right with the Epic.

Yes for me. Hit both variants of the Epic and just couldn't hit a ball straight or consistently. Brought my Fly-Z in to compare and hit the F7+ as well. Night and day.

Any front range folks trying to play this Sunday/Monday?

I'm eyeballing 1:00-1:30 somewhere Sunday. Probably Murphy Creek.

Any estimate on price? I'm a cheap bastxxx lol

I think it's $51 walking on weekends until about 4. I'd play later, but with weather being what it is here and it being a weekend, I'd like to know for sure I'd finish. Wouldn't anticipate it being an issue, but you never know. Feel free to join! Shoot me a PM and I'll get things booked if you're in.

I think it's $51 walking on weekends until about 4. I'd play later, but with weather being what it is here and it being a weekend, I'd like to know for sure I'd finish. Wouldn't anticipate it being an issue, but you never know. Feel free to join! Shoot me a PM and I'll get things booked if you're in.

For sure. I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm probably gonna have to pass on this one....teeoff.com has me spoiled when it comes to cheap tee times haha

Dig the DOOM profile pic, BTW

I'd definitely like to get out with some fellow WRXers though! So if anyone ever needs a 2nd/3rd/4th, just hit me up.

For sure. I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm probably gonna have to pass on this one....teeoff.com has me spoiled when it comes to cheap tee times haha

Dig the DOOM profile pic, BTW

I'd definitely like to get out with some fellow WRXers though! So if anyone ever needs a 2nd/3rd/4th, just hit me up.

Fair, I've got two codes for TeeOff that I need to use, but they have to get used on the hot deals, and nothing worked for our schedule this Sunday as a one car family.

I'm typically not inclined to pay that much for there, but it's the weekend and my last chance to golf until October...so I'll eat a few bucks.

And thanks on the DOOM pic. It's actually a photo of a piece I own from an artist in Chicago. Saw the mask and couldn't resist.

I see both at my courses. I would guess 30-40 of my golf buddies got the Epic driver and they all love the gains.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

What shaft? I'm planning on getting one of these soon too, despite the fact that I got on the monitor with my current set up and found out that my driver AOA is like -3 to -7, and spin is high 3's/low 4's.

YUCK to all of that. And also figuring out that changing AOA with a delta of 8 degrees is tough to say the least.

Also, went to D'Lance to figure out my issues with my new M1. Didn't really figure much out. Other than a couple of the shafts I have are definitely not a fit for my swing. He also suggested playing something stiffer...which seemed odd to me. Only average 95-97 mph with a driver, and I'm already playing stiff. So his suggestion was to go up to an X-Stiff? Idk about that one.

Also, he had a pretty cool idea. I mentioned I hit my 3 wood just as far, and much more controlled than my driver. Which is a 15º 3-wood. I told him I feel much more comfortable with the smaller club head and shorter shaft. So his suggestion was to get the 13º Tour Edge EX10 Beta 3 wood, and have it bent 1º strong. So I'd be playing a 12º fairway wood that has a much smaller head. If I'm hitting my 15º 250 on average, I could pick up a little more distance and hopefully keep my accuracy with it too.

What shaft? I'm planning on getting one of these soon too, despite the fact that I got on the monitor with my current set up and found out that my driver AOA is like -3 to -7, and spin is high 3's/low 4's.

YUCK to all of that. And also figuring out that changing AOA with a delta of 8 degrees is tough to say the least.

I have a Graphite Design ADGP 7XX. Love it. I hit way up on the ball and don't tend to put very much spin on it though.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Also, went to D'Lance to figure out my issues with my new M1. Didn't really figure much out. Other than a couple of the shafts I have are definitely not a fit for my swing. He also suggested playing something stiffer...which seemed odd to me. Only average 95-97 mph with a driver, and I'm already playing stiff. So his suggestion was to go up to an X-Stiff? Idk about that one.

Also, he had a pretty cool idea. I mentioned I hit my 3 wood just as far, and much more controlled than my driver. Which is a 15º 3-wood. I told him I feel much more comfortable with the smaller club head and shorter shaft. So his suggestion was to get the 13º Tour Edge EX10 Beta 3 wood, and have it bent 1º strong. So I'd be playing a 12º fairway wood that has a much smaller head. If I'm hitting my 15º 250 on average, I could pick up a little more distance and hopefully keep my accuracy with it too.

As far as stiff/x stiff:

1 - the labels are pretty much meaningless as one manufacturer's stiff can be a senior flex for another and with the cheaper graphite shaft manufacturers the variance can even be pretty high among the same brand and flex of shaft.

2 - Swing speed isn't the main determinant of how stiff your shaft needs to be. How you load the club is what matters. If you take two golfers with the same swing speed - one who swings very abruptly and quick like Nick Price will need a much stiffer shaft than one who swings very fluid and smooth like Ernie Els.

What store is at 92 & Sheridan? I went to the Golf Galaxy off 36 and 104th last week only to see it is closed. Did they move?

It is the old Golfsmith now GG. I think they see this location as being better and probably further away than Dicks.

Looking at getting out to The Broadlands this weekend. Seeing rates of $48 with a cart both Saturday & Sunday afternoon past 2pm.

If anyone wants to join, let me know!

Skip it! Get in our Sunday 1:30 time!

I am a big fan of Murphy, but I simply can't justify it. I have a tournament at Broadlands next Saturday, and I've never played the course before. Only playing golf this weekend to allow myself a practice round to see the course. Scorecard lists most Par 4's in the 350-375 range...so I feel like being strategic and not taking driver is a good thing out there. Definitely don't want to go into a competitive round blind.

Looking at getting out to The Broadlands this weekend. Seeing rates of $48 with a cart both Saturday & Sunday afternoon past 2pm.

If anyone wants to join, let me know!

Skip it! Get in our Sunday 1:30 time!

I am a big fan of Murphy, but I simply can't justify it. I have a tournament at Broadlands next Saturday, and I've never played the course before. Only playing golf this weekend to allow myself a practice round to see the course. Scorecard lists most Par 4's in the 350-375 range...so I feel like being strategic and not taking driver is a good thing out there. Definitely don't want to go into a competitive round blind.

Smart! Enjoy your round.

To the course management experts out there... I would love some help. Especially if any of you know the course I am talking about -- Sunset in Longmont. I like the course, and it's a fun, not long place to walk.

HOWEVER, there is a par three that is the absolute death of me. I tripled it yesterday and otherwise played reasonably well. This hole drives me nuts -- I feel like there is no actual way to even play it. I am tempted to hit a 7i and layup.

Here's a picture of the hole for reference.

Playing yardage from the white tees (in between ladies' and back tees) is usually about 197 - I feel like that's a long par 3. Blue yardage is usually about 208. I also feel that's a long par 3. I don't really have anything I can comfortably hit from the back. 195 is a well-struck 4i for me. I have nothing longer than that (so in that sense, club recommendations welcome too...) - so if I ever play from the blues, I have to hope I absolutely tag a 4i and roll it up.

The entire green is a back left to front right slope, and they just looooove to put the pin on a slopey part of the front right corner.

The green itself is about 21 feet wide at its widest point. Missing left is bad, and missing right is death.

How do I conquer my nemesis hole? :(

To the course management experts out there... I would love some help. Especially if any of you know the course I am talking about -- Sunset in Longmont. I like the course, and it's a fun, not long place to walk.

HOWEVER, there is a par three that is the absolute death of me. I tripled it yesterday and otherwise played reasonably well. This hole drives me nuts -- I feel like there is no actual way to even play it. I am tempted to hit a 7i and layup.

Playing yardage from the white tees (in between ladies' and back tees) is usually about 197 - I feel like that's a long par 3. Blue yardage is usually about 208. I also feel that's a long par 3. I don't really have anything I can comfortably hit from the back. 195 is a well-struck 4i for me. I have nothing longer than that (so in that sense, club recommendations welcome too...) - so if I ever play from the blues, I have to hope I absolutely tag a 4i and roll it up.

The entire green is a back left to front right slope, and they just looooove to put the pin on a slopey part of the front right corner.

The green itself is about 21 feet wide at its widest point. Missing left is bad, and missing right is death.

Play short of the front? 2-putt par off the fairway. At least that's what I'd try...but my shot bias is right anyway. Maybe a low, punchy 6 or 5 rolling up from under the tree? Not that I'm certain I could do it on command, of course. But that's what I'm seeing.

Play short and try to get up and down. Hit 4 or 5 irons but know that you do not need to hit it perfect. That should take triple out of the equation and hopefully have bogey be the worst score.

drn92

That's pretty much my distance as well. I usually play blue tees, and I feel like every course I play has at least 1, if not 3 par 3's that are 200+.

200 is my 4-iron.

Then I have 3 UDI that goes about 215.

3 Hybrid that goes 225-230.

I'd probably take my UDI and aim a little left, since the miss right is worse. Does your bag just go from a 4-iron right into a 3-wood? I was against the idea of hybrids for a while, but I love mine so much. Getting a nice 19-20ª hybrid might be a good addition to your bag.

Andrew, start with a chainsaw and get rid of either the free side tree or the one up about 50 yards from the tee box in the right. That hole is dumb.

Seriously though, I know sometimes the overhead satellite shot can have a deceiving angle. But if that green is only 7yds wide and that tree overhangs 2-3 yards of it, you legitimately only have a 3-4 yard wide corridor for a long iron shot, since that right side tree prevents attempting a big draw

So unless you have a 200yd long iron that you can hit on a string with nearly zero degrees directional variance, the only answer I can see is land short and hope it runs up, or a cut that give you a chance get up and down from short right, or even in that bunker not too bad unless it's short side. Maybe if the pin is right side you could try to play left of the tree and green high into the rough to leave more green to work with and get up and down from there.

I still stick by my chainsaw idea though. :-)

You are right @Gmcourtney -- You can try and cut something but you certainly can't hit any kind of draw - either you have to start it straight and miss left. But you can't hit anything that starts right or you'll be hitting that tree.

I am glad someone else thinks that the hole is dumb. :D You are correct on the 3-4 yd line to hit. That is also assuming your iron hits the green that it actually stays on, which is also difficult.

I would like to get something in between 4i and 3w - which is exactly how my bag goes currently. I had an old Srixon U45, but it was purchased when I first started golfing more seriously and is not in any way fit for me anymore. I have been looking at the Cobra KING utility since I can get it for cheap, and I'm also not completely opposed to a hybrid, but they just don't look good to me. I feel like I am going to hit it poorly. Not closed off to the idea if I found one I liked though

Thanks for the help all :)

since that right side tree prevents attempting a big draw

Challenge accepted. :)

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

You are right @Gmcourtney -- You can try and cut something but you certainly can't hit any kind of draw - either you have to start it straight and miss left. But you can't hit anything that starts right or you'll be hitting that tree.

I am glad someone else thinks that the hole is dumb. :D You are correct on the 3-4 yd line to hit. That is also assuming your iron hits the green that it actually stays on, which is also difficult.

I would like to get something in between 4i and 3w - which is exactly how my bag goes currently. I had an old Srixon U45, but it was purchased when I first started golfing more seriously and is not in any way fit for me anymore. I have been looking at the Cobra KING utility since I can get it for cheap, and I'm also not completely opposed to a hybrid, but they just don't look good to me. I feel like I am going to hit it poorly. Not closed off to the idea if I found one I liked though

Thanks for the help all :)

King Utility is great. Still toying with the idea of adding that in lieu of my 19º hybrid. How do you get 'em cheap?

I added a Titleist T-MB 3i & 4i into the bag - Love the lower flight and rollout off the tee and it's anti-left properties. I do miss the ease of a hybrid out of the rough. Full disclosure : I do swap the 3h and 3i depending on the course I'm playing.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

The new Taylormade 790 UDI should be coming out next month. Their super hyped follow up to the immensely popular Tour Preferred UDI's from a few years back.

I just checked out pictures of the new UDI. Good Lord, that thing looks so unforgiving...especially in a 2i. The old one seems like it'd be so much easier to hit. But this is coming from someone who doesn't mind the look/feel/sound of the OG Ping Crossover as a hybrid replacement. I really want a utility iron, but I just know that they'll come in with a flight that's too low for what I need them to do most often (hold a green on a 225yd par 3 **cough 17 at Murphy Creek cough**.)