SuperSpeed Golf training system

New top speed with Driver post protocols hitting 119 mph. I have gone back to doing the whole Protocol 1 which takes about 15 minutes with all 3 sticks adding 3 driver swings before and 3 after to measure speed gains. I have been digging, and currently going through this whole thread from the beginning and I'm starting to think it's just the normal that your max swing with a ball is typically 80-85% of your max non-ball swing on the SSR. That seems to make more sense in line with the gains I'm seeing and other research posted online.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Well im close to 3 weeks in and the only thing I can say is I am much faster now with the speed sticks and can swing a driver faster at a empty radar.

Beginning as measured with Radar : Green : 113 / Blue : 108 / Red : 103 Driver : 105

after 6 sessions ( 2.5 weeks ). Green : 120 / Blue : *121 / Red 113 Driver : 112

However using Rapsodo and hitting a ball. Beginning swing speed 107

After 2.5 weeks training. Speed 105 ( in my conservative dreams, I was hoping that my swing speed would be 110 )

I actually gained 7-9 mph with the sticks but lost 2 mph swing speed when hitting the ball, ball speed is down about 3-4 mph. At this rate, im going to have to hit another 7mph of gains just to be as fast as when I started out. Estimates are that in 3-4 months, I will be at 120 with the red stick and my swing should be 120 without ball.

I am trying to do a SS only program and no additional work in the gym. I have found I am slower on training days (I do the protocols in the morning at 5 am and do range work at 2 pm) but faster after 2 days of rest. I will continue doing the program till the end of January with no gym work. If the gains continue to be marginal at best I will start adding the compound athletic lifts and flexibility work.

I appreciate the epiphany of knowing the speeds I am capable of reaching, but if I can’t turn them into functional distance the SS sticks are worthless.

At least im swinging the sticks faster which is fun, if I had zero gains with the sticks too, this would be worthless but I can hear the speed and feel the speed with the sticks, but just cant seem to replicate the speed with a driver in front of the ball. Perhaps my body needs a few months to get used to the speed. As of today, the speed is not usable, but im only 2.5 weeks in. I figure a few more months cant hurt. haha im gonna be the rare guy who swings the red stick at 125 on SSR but hits 110 on trackman

• Like 1

Just checking out a bunch of results from other users and it seems that guys who increase their swing speed from 7-10mph also increase ball speed 7-10 mph. I was hoping for more but there is definitely a increase in swing speed and u can expect similar increase in ball speed. For some reason i was expecting that a 10mph increase in SS would result in 15mph of BS, but it seems that most people gain 9-10 mph of BS. This results in about 20 yards of carry on the driver and about a full club in the irons.

I'm finding I definitely have an issue with my kinematic sequencing, leading to wasted/inefficient movement and effort. When I did the protocol last winter I got the green stick over 130 consistently my last few weeks and I think I peaked at 133-134 standing before the season started. Now I am mostly mid 120s and have only hit 130 once with the step swing. I really am gaining on the non-dominant side swings and have considerably closed the gap between that and my dominant side. Hit a PR of 106mph with the red stick swinging lefty.

Until today, I hadn't been capturing my before/after speeds swinging driver at a foam ball into a net. Surprisingly I made some nice progress. I peaked at 108mph out of 5 balls before and peaked at 115mph after, with another two swings at 113mph. Again, I think that highlights that perhaps I was starting to get my sequencing a little more in order by the end of the session rather than picking up 7mph in one session.

Anyone that has gone through protocol 2 and further, did the kneeling swings help with sequencing and getting the feeling of moving the club with the upper body? I think part of my problem is the 'ol "fire the hips" but I spin out too early and leave the club behind and not getting it's full potential.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Yeah, but they say your non-dominant side should start to catch up.

There is no way my ND is gonna catch up, I cant take it back as far and my sequencing is pretty off.....ive been swinging righty for 20 years, I don't think ,y left side will catch up in a few weeks or even a few months, maybe in a couple years if I keep at it. I mainly do the ND sides to improve muscle balance.

As of now, I have a 20 mph difference between D and ND.

When I first started intro protocol my non-dominant side was so much slower than my dominant side. Probably like 25mph or more shorter with each color.

I've closed the gap pretty good, probably a combination of my mechanics getting better and building speed.

• Like 1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I thought precisely the same thing when I did my first protocol, I seriously still feel like me left handed swing is the most uncoordinated and ugly swing. But it's gotten better than it was when I started and gotten closer to dominant side.

• Like 1

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Apologies in advance for not scouring the thread to find the answer, but what is the preferred radar unit most are using with this system?

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I think most just use the blue one that they sell on their site. I actually just had some interaction with them on Instagram. They said the radar is about 3 mph low measured against trackman. However, it is consistent I'm reading the sticks so very useful for measuring gains.

• Like 2

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

My non-dominant is about 10/7/5 mph faster (G/B/R) than my dominant side. Did everything righty growing up except playing baseball growing up (batted lefty). guess is stuck all the way through adulthood.

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

I typed that out wrong, you're correct. The SSR is 3mph higher reading.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I been working on and off with this system for a while. My non dominant side has always been around 8 mph faster than my dominant side. I would definitely say mechanics are better on the dominant side. Can’t really figure out how and why non dominant is faster. I’m leaning toward a flexibility issue. Has anyone experienced the same thing? Curious to know.

This isn't necessarily true. SSR can be low or high by a few or over a dozen compared to any radar for multiple reasons. Generally though, SSR reads the SSG clubs really consistently and accurately compared to an actual driver. So you can draw some conclusions about how fast your body can move a golf club when everything is firing in good sequence. Put a ball in front of you and things can drastically change.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Actually looked over my notes and my starting speed was

Green : 113 // Blue :106 // Red : 103

Today is the end of the third week

Green 123 // Blue 122 // Red 116

Im pretty sure the wall is here, because i really can't see how it is this easy to go faster. Now the hard part is to stay at this program to solidify the gains. Its tough to exercise when u don't see improvement, but i certainly would love to keep this speed.in terms of quantifiable performance, this year my top speed on Rapsodo was 107 with a ball speed of 155, it was 80* out and about 5 mph downwind. After gaining 13 mph of swing speed with the red club, I expected a huge gain but my speeds are about the same, im at 108 swing speed with 157 ball speed, but its 45* out and I have a 10mph wind in my face and the range balls are water logged. So I can say in a few short weeks, I can swing on the worst day what I used to do on my absolute best day. I cant figure out how this weather and wearing a jacket and headwind affects my reading but I will be indoors on a GC Quad to see what the real changes are. It should be noted that if I have a few beers, I actually get 2-3mph faster and I have not been drinking in this frigid weather. ( haha im from Hawaii, anything under 65* is freezing )my neighbor is 84 years old and swears by these sticks, he also uses a stretching bar and a MISIG to warm up. This is the truly nutty part but after 98 pages of reading, most guys who buy these sticks don't need them, it seems the average swing speed for guys starting this program is 112-120mph. I guess that makes sense, when I was playing basketball, all the guys with 20" vertical could care less but the guys who had 36" vertical wanted to get to 40" and the 44" wanted to get to 50"

Well here I am on the last workout of week 3, decided to up all reps of the introduction phase to 4 reps for week 4 and 5 reps for week 5 and then go to Protocol 1 for week 6. In addition just purchased a Cold Cure elbow brace compress from Kings Brand . I have been dealing with a mild to mid case of elbow tendonitis and my Theragun and Theraband flexbar are keeping me healthy but with the added load of SpeedStick and Weight Room, I decided even more therapy and rehab is necessary. If I was in my 20s or 30s, I probably could maintain this with ease but im well into my 50s and most injuries now don't go away on their own. Im pretty pleased about results so far and the goal is to keep these gains. Im still in awe of the speed stick increases I have accomplished. A bit disappointed that it did not translate into ball speed but im sure it will eventually get there. The body has to figure out a way to accept the new speed and use it.

I found doing vertical jump exercises once a week is helping me with my explosion, not many exercises recruit as much explosion and force vectors as a max jump vertical. Decided to do a modified Protocol #1 after 2.5 weeks of intro. Did 3 reps of everything instead of 5 reps. The knee swings felt fine but suddenly everything was slower, I've been making gains for the last 5-6 workouts since i started but now because of kneeling swings, everything went backwards, every single measurement . How depressing : )

I have been experimenting with using the blue stick only, i feel there may be something to it. Early stages but in testing i am getting close to my mid summer speeds in just a few sessions after not touching a club for months. Oddly enough my left handed swing is getting close to my dominate side. I was able to hit 132 blue stick non dominant today and don’t recall getting over 125 non dominant ever last season. I have some ideas on how to slightly improve the blue stick only protocol but going to stick with it for a while.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

I havent been testing the other sticks, i am trying to refrain from using the red as i feel it is too hard to recover from, i can do a few test swings with them tomorrow.

i would give you reliable data if i could with a driver. I hadn’t played in 3 months until today and was hitting the ball summer distances in 50 degree weather. My speeds on trackman were slightly up a couple weeks ago compared to this summer but nothing crazy.

Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

That sounds great, im way too new to this program to think about switching, but the last 2 workouts have me plateauing and one stick certainly sounds intriguing especially if it is easier to recover from. I have a mild to medium case of tendonitis in my elbow and these exercises and playing golf and power lifting is starting to take its toll on my ancient and often injured body.

Regarding SSR reading and consistency, was just going off what SuperSpeed told me

ECP18FSSF6CW.jpg

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

So I took the ssr to the course today and my driver on course was 120–125 range, similar to a few months ago but encouraging for not having played recently.

red stick was more like 124-128, essentially the same range as my on course driver and the same range as when i was training this summer. So basically my red speed stayed the same without playing golf or training the red stick for 3 months.

blue stick 130-134 today

green stick 135-138 which is down from mid 140s this summer.

my theory is the red stick is too close to driver speeds to improve your nervous system, it simply adds stress to the body especially the hands using it. Blue stick has that slight bump in speed to encourage your brain to go faster. The green stick being closer to the blue stick than usual seems to indicate the body is getting use to going blue stick speed(bad for green stick but good for actual golf)

I am like you and fight body inflammation and tendonitis. When i workout i never go to failure and almost never want to feel sore during or post workout. I stick to less than 5 reps of explosive exercises and take ample rest between sets. I feel taking the same approach to the speed sticks is the way to go. Less reps, each rep explosive, aiming for about 10% bump in speed from normal driver, occasionally swing the green stick but 95% of time use blue, focus on getting non dominant side fast and athletic.

Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

The sticks are all different weights and it is generally accepted from the 96 pages I read that the Red stick, the heaviest of the set correlates closest to real driver speed. It is in general +/- 2 mph off of trackman speeds for most golfers. I am one of the outliers currently but I can see myself closing the gap as I get accustomed to swinging at the higher speed.

• Like 1

That is pretty much just from my experiments. Not sure it is accepted by most. I just tried my best to correlate potential speed based on what can be done with the sticks. 12 or so on here and elsewhere have correlated well with the red stick and their standard length driver. 3 or 4 have been outliers so far. It isn't perfect but seems to be a good indicator of driver speed if you can make that same swing speed happen with a ball in front of you.

Swing hard in case you hit it!