Ping i200 Irons: In-Hand Photos

GolfWRX

Demoed twice against I e1 with same specs and shafts. I200 launched higher with more spin causing shorter distance and greater dispersion. Dispersion on e1 was feet the i200 was yards.

I assume the lower cg causes the distance issue hence the power option. Almost like cf16 and other low cg irons you need stronger loft to gain distance, unless you need help launching the ball.

dispersion isn't the club, that's you and how you deliver the club to the ball.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I test both e1 and i200..my dispersion is much tighter with i200...may be is the Indian not the arrow.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I-200 look a little better at address to me though. However the turf interaction is fantastic with both.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

Demoed twice against I e1 with same specs and shafts. I200 launched higher with more spin causing shorter distance and greater dispersion. Dispersion on e1 was feet the i200 was yards.

I assume the lower cg causes the distance issue hence the power option. Almost like cf16 and other low cg irons you need stronger loft to gain distance, unless you need help launching the ball.

Agreed. BUT in comparing one club to another dispersion can be enhanced by the launch and spin characteristics of the club. Only sharing MY results with MY angle of attack. E1 was straighter for ME.

How is it compared to the iblades? I've played forged my whole life, would cast feel different?

You've been on Golfwrx 6+ years and you are inquiring about forged vs cast? :mellow:

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

How is it compared to the iblades? I've played forged my whole life, would cast feel different?

If you still want that buttery soft feel, when you work your 4 iron baby fade into a tucked right rear flag, stick with what you have.

:taunt:

i play mizuno and callaway forgings mostly and I've always felt that the s55 and iblade felt every bit as good. Ping is the best in regards to feel and sound on their cast irons. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

If you still want that buttery soft feel, when you work your 4 iron baby fade into a tucked right rear flag, stick with what you have.

i play mizuno and callaway forgings mostly and I've always felt that the s55 and iblade felt every bit as good. Ping is the best in regards to feel and sound on their cast irons. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I can tell a slight difference but I agree. I think it's in a lot of people's heads. The i200 feels better than any Ping has made and imo you'll be hard pressed to find something that feels better if you get the right shaft combo and all.

I can tell a slight difference but I agree. I think it's in a lot of people's heads. The i200 feels better than any Ping has made and imo you'll be hard pressed to find something that feels better if you get the right shaft combo and all.

My MP 52 and e.g. the iBlade (havent hit the i200 yet) do absolutely feel different. That doesn mean better or worse, its just different.

When I hit them side to side with the same shaft in both (PX) I liked the Mizuno better, as the PX does feel stout and the soft forging does complement that well.

On the other hand, I was fit into the iBlades with Modus 105 in X (softstepped) or AWT 2.0 S (hardstepped), so I tried the Modus in an MP 25 as well. With those softer feeling shafts they were both fantastic with my firm gamer ball (Hex Black Tour). But when I hit a couple Chrome softs, i preferred the Ping as it gave me better feedback because all the "softness" in the forging, smooth shaft and soft ball took away from that.

In general: The PINGs will be "less soft" but a little more solid feeling and the feedback will be indistinguishable between soft and cast or depending on shaft and ball.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

My MP 52 and e.g. the iBlade (havent hit the i200 yet) do absolutely feel different. That doesn mean better or worse, its just different.

When I hit them side to side with the same shaft in both (PX) I liked the Mizuno better, as the PX does feel stout and the soft forging does complement that well.

On the other hand, I was fit into the iBlades with Modus 105 in X (softstepped) or AWT 2.0 S (hardstepped), so I tried the Modus in an MP 25 as well. With those softer feeling shafts they were both fantastic with my firm gamer ball (Hex Black Tour). But when I hit a couple Chrome softs, i preferred the Ping as it gave me better feedback because all the "softness" in the forging, smooth shaft and soft ball took away from that.

In general: The PINGs will be "less soft" but a little more solid feeling and the feedback will be indistinguishable between soft and cast or depending on shaft and ball.

I think this a very astute post. I know that when I tried the MP25 a year ago, I absolutely slated it on here for it's 'feel', it was bl***y terrible, but I only tried it with the PX/DG/ and Pro Modus 105 all Stiff flexes. Awful! Tried it again last week with the KBS Tour X flex, and the results were actually very good for 'feel'. Perfectly playable for me.

So yes, you're right, shafts can influence and lead us to be sensitive to these things. Good post!

I agree with this. It's a different feel between soft forged club and a Ping but I like both feels. I like the pop I get from a Ping and I also like the soft feel of forged. I also agree with what you said on shafts and ball. Ultimately for me I know the Ping is going at the flag so I'm happy to sacrifice the marshmallow feel for a harder pop without a better word. I've kind of gotten used to it actually. Some of the 8620 forged stuff honestly doesn't feel better to me though.

Isn't that because 8620 is cast?

No it's the 8620 carbon steel that Titleist and some others are using. It's a little harder than some of the stuff that is in Forged clubs like srixon or PXG (these come to mind). I believe they use 1025 which is very soft.

Agreed. BUT in comparing one club to another dispersion can be enhanced by the launch and spin characteristics of the club. Only sharing MY results with MY angle of attack. E1 was straighter for ME.

I've heard that year in and year out clubs don't necessarily get "better" but they get better for certain swing characteristics, then kinda cycle around. So in a sense, every year someone will hit them better and others will not.

Tried them today. Well the 7 iron at least. Nothing much to say really, other than good solid Club, didn't wow me, but no shock horrors either, just typical Ping, does what it says on the tin. Got some solid numbers, but nothing that stands out as being either bad or exceptional either. Decent feel, not overly soft of course, but you wouldn't expect that. But just just good honest solid Club that any low/mid handicapper should put on their radar if they're in the market for a new set of Irons this year.

Sorry I couldn't add anything more than that. :taunt:

Was gonna hold out for the P770's but switched my order back to the I200. These just seem like the perfect mix of players cavity, forgiveness and tech. Still nice to look down on and not a long blade length.

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Can the i200 irons be easily bent, or are they difficult to bend like ping irons of old?

431 stainless steel is a little softer/weaker than 17-4, which is what Ping traditionally uses, so I'm sure they will be bendable without undue effort. I've bent 431 SS iron sets before and while they require more effort than carbon steel clubs for sure, it's a very doable process using common loft/lie equipment.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Went to demo day this weekend and am sold on the I200 being my next club. Coming from some older I3+ series irons I achieved some gains. Tried the G series as well as the I Blade.The I200 fit my profile and game perfectly. Very solid feel for me. Made a great muted sound off the clubface and looked very clean at address without being intimidating at all. I started hitting the ball straight and was also able to work the ball both directions once I got warmed up. Gained distance from my older clubs and felt the i200 were even more forgiving.I will be getting a set soon for sure.

I have the iE and think they feel better than my PXG. Am really wanting to try the i200. Those who compared both, does i200 "feel" like the iE? I have modus 105 but have prosoft insert in them... I do have a problem with the iE, they are a club longer than most anything I've played. Can u weaken the i200?

Can the i200 irons be easily bent, or are they difficult to bend like ping irons of old?

431 stainless steel is a little softer/weaker than 17-4, which is what Ping traditionally uses, so I'm sure they will be bendable without undue effort. I've bent 431 SS iron sets before and while they require more effort than carbon steel clubs for sure, it's a very doable process using common loft/lie equipment.

Thanks. The reason that I am asking is that I have difficulties with Ping's lie progression through a set; at any particular colour code I find the long irons too flat and the short irons too upright. One option for dealing with that is to order a set with multiple different colour codes, e.g. long irons in yellow, mid irons in blue and short irons in black, but I would prefer not to do that as I would prefer to have the irons all "match" with the same colour dot. The alternative, which I leaning towards, is to order a set in a particular colour code (say blue) and then bend the long irons upright and bend the short irons flat. The actual lies will not match to the colour of the dots on the irons, but I don't particularly care about that. I just wanted to make sure that bending by a local shop would be feasible. I realize one can send irons back to Ping to bend, but that seems like a lot of hassle.

Thanks. The reason that I am asking is that I have difficulties with Ping's lie progression through a set; at any particular colour code I find the long irons too flat and the short irons too upright. One option for dealing with that is to order a set with multiple different colour codes, e.g. long irons in yellow, mid irons in blue and short irons in black, but I would prefer not to do that as I would prefer to have the irons all "match" with the same colour dot. The alternative, which I leaning towards, is to order a set in a particular colour code (say blue) and then bend the long irons upright and bend the short irons flat. The actual lies will not match to the colour of the dots on the irons, but I don't particularly care about that. I just wanted to make sure that bending by a local shop would be feasible. I realize one can send irons back to Ping to bend, but that seems like a lot of hassle.

My pro has had no issues bending my past ping irons. S55 or ie1

My pro has had no issues bending my past ping irons. S55 or ie1

The notch toward the bottom of the hosel is to aid the adjustability

no no no Bogey, this is WRX, you're wrong. the only way an iron feels good or feels soft is if it's forged :rolleyes: . j/k.

ya know I'm sure the majority of people listening to Hudson Swafford stripe irons shots over the weekend had no idea what was in his Bridgestone staff bag.... PING S55.