2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What happened with Rocco and PXG?

speeder717

Every time we take shots at PXG, the faithful show up in their over priced armour and come to their defence. I'd like to think that they're running out of those rehearsed defences. Yep, good clubs, but they are NOT better and are NOT worth more than the other big OEM's. I support their right to spent their money any way they choose. I just happen to think they've been suckered.

Weak. "You think"; but the data proves PXG performance (trajectory/dispersion/consistency/distance). Most of the PXG hating comes from the folks who haven't put them through proper fitting from a top brand-agnostic fitter with every shaft option and a whole bunch of know-how. I actually have. Even had the lofts matched in the irons I was testing against them.

You'll also notice in my sig I play a variety of stuff (only 4 PXG clubs- slightly modified for me). The best of every brand in relation to me.

The irons are the best performers by far. Be that as it may, I don't play a PW of theirs or any of their wedges yet, because they have improvements to make.

Back up your claim with data and you'll gain a little more street cred.

I'm sure Rocco had a thorough fitting and it seems he disagrees. Truth is pxg isn't any better than any other iron. They aren't adjustable. And they aren't magic.

I'll throw it out there that Tiger and Rory, and a whole stable of Nike guys had every opportunity to try their equipment with the best fitters in the world. So why didn't they all sign on the line with magic pixie dust?? Hmmmmm...

Bud, I'm not a PXG hater. I don't hate anything. But I do get more than annoyed with BS marketing. As one could guess, I'm "more than annoyed" a lot. I got to hit these things with a couple different shafts (whatever the players iron is) and they're just nothing special. To me, the feel like hitting a can of tuna compared to the Mizuno forgings. To each his own, but their performance wasn't and better and I'm not paying that kind of money for a status symbol. I stand by my opinion that they're very fine clubs but are not worth any more money than any other brand.

All the pros you mention are WAAAAAY better than I am. Not really a comparison.

Agree on your assessment of personal preference. Loyalties to feel and shape I understand, especially with Mizuno.

I do object slightly that I have them because of some sort of status symbol; they perform best for me (and the majority of people fit)- for me its the appreciable performance improvement between 140 and 195 yds. PW is the wrong shape, the 5 iron is appreciably better also, but the hybrid is even better for me.

1lp

I've Played Mizzys since '87(and Staff the 19 years before that) though I finished with Staff in the bag in '12(The 59's) and I've gotta tell you that all this feel that the butta bois chirp about, well, it was beyond me as I've got absolutely no idea what butta feels like when Iron meets ball ?

That being said, I will also go out on a limb and say that if you just put forged blank heads on a shaft and let guys hit em, there are 6-8 blades that you could throw in a hat and any one could do the job.

Please excuse me if I'm skeptical of any OEM related golf "studies" or "data" generated??

Having been in the Orthopedic implant marketplace for 25+ years and extremely familiar with studies, data and stats, well, I'm just gonna stay out of this part of the discussion, LMAO

Dispersion data????

Okey dokey then?

Regarding status having nothing to do with a purchase of such incredibly accurate amazingly feeling irons, supported by reams and reams of unbiased laser accurate data, well, I own a Benz because of all that great German engineering, they being THE finest engineered vehicle on the road, bla bla bla ???

Status had nothing to do with my purchase decision?

On a serious note-

Bro, you hit em, liked em and bought em!!

End of discussion!!

I love KYMs(in a purely hetero way ?) think the world of WB however you don't owe them, me or anyone else an explanation on why you got em in the bag!!

They were the best iron for you-

End of discussion ?

Stay well my Friend

Fairways & Greens this season

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness- this will be the last post I make on this subject.

My data, and the data my fitters at both CoolClubs and validated by CLubFix, show appreciable performance improvements from the majority of their clients who try them. Not everyone jumps in and buys them as recommended.

Thanks.

PS: For all involved, I'm in Southern Cal and always looking for a weekend game. Look me up if you make it to the area!

The guy considers himself a player.......Hmmmmmmm.

My data, and the data my fitters at both CoolClubs and validated by CLubFix, show appreciable performance improvements from the majority of their clients who try them. Not everyone jumps in and buys them as recommended.

Thanks.

PS: For all involved, I'm in Southern Cal and always looking for a weekend game. Look me up if you make it to the area!

Post the numbers! side by side. You're the one insisting on data and havent provided a single piece.

And sure, I'll play 18 with you next time I'm on the west coast. I'll bring the vodka and you, of course, can bring the kool-aid

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I started following Bob Parsons, PXG, on Twitter as I think the guys a brilliant marketer. He's going to have to sell a s*** ton of those clubs to keep up will all his new toys he's bought. Love the $100K Confederate bike!!

BUT BOB'S A BILLIONAIRE. HE LOVES GREAT BIKES AND THE BEST GOLF CLUBS IN THE WORLD WHO CARES IF PXG LOSES MONEY HE'S JUST TRYING TO MAKE THE BEST GOLF CLUBS AND BRING INNOVATION BY COPYING PING AT EVERY TURN LET THE MAN DO WHAT WHAT HE WANTS WITH HIS MONEY.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Thanks.

Wait a sec, I didn't even notice this(there's a lot that flies by me the first 2-3 passes?), but you're a Plank Owner around here, lol

That, in and of itself is worth data and credibility points ?

Screw all these Johnny come latelies, lmao

If ya ever get through the Burgh(home of the 2nd-3rd best team in the AFC) give me a holler??

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Thanks.

Where in So Cal are you?

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9° Project X Even Flow Blue 75X
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° Project X Even Flow Black 75X
Srixon ZU85 3 20° Recoil ES95 F5
Srixon Z765 4-PW Project X 6.5
Titleist SM7 Jet Black 52,56,60 Wedge Flex
Odyssey White Hot Pro #9
Srixon Z-Star XV

In response to the bike pics. That proves that money doesn't buy taste . As a builder ( not bikes) let me just say that I deal with his type all day long. More money than taste. And no matter how hard you try they can't understand that less visible is more. They want all the visibility they can get. And it shows. When you go to bike or car shows with things like those pictured ( Ducati being the exception ) builders quietly laugh to themselves. For its only the rich tasteless guys who commission these builds and the " Orange County chopper " type fan who like them. The artists of the world build his crap to pay the bills. But when it comes Time to showcase talent or beauty it never looks like this. Sorry. Personal rant over.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I started following Bob Parsons, PXG, on Twitter as I think the guys a brilliant marketer. He's going to have to sell a s*** ton of those clubs to keep up will all his new toys he's bought. Love the $100K Confederate bike!!

BUT BOB'S A BILLIONAIRE. HE LOVES GREAT BIKES AND THE BEST GOLF CLUBS IN THE WORLD WHO CARES IF PXG LOSES MONEY HE'S JUST TRYING TO MAKE THE BEST GOLF CLUBS AND BRING INNOVATION BY COPING PING AT EVERY TURN LET THE MAN DO WHAT WHAT HE WANTS WITH HIS MONEY.

Who said i was criticizing him for spending his money? And why the hell are you yelling at me. Turn off the CAPS LOCK!

In response to the bike pics. That proves that money doesn't buy taste . As a builder ( not bikes) let me just say that I deal with his type all day long. More money than taste. And no matter how hard you try they can't understand that less visible is more. They want all the visibility they can get. And it shows. When you go to bike or car shows with things like those pictured ( Ducati being the exception ) builders quietly laugh to themselves. For its only the rich tasteless guys who commission these builds and the " Orange County chopper " type fan who like them. The artists of the world build his crap to pay the bills. But when it comes Time to showcase talent or beauty it never looks like this. Sorry. Personal rant over.

So I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you don't like the bike I built.

honest answer ? not my cup of tea... things i dont care for .... orange... long story.... skulls..never got it.... But my eye sees alot of positives in that bike too...

1. the sheetmetal work... always loved a bike one way or another..either bare skeleton showing ..or like this with a hand fabbed "body " if you will that connects seat pan, rear fender and tank... I appreciate how many hours it takes to fab, smooth and paint/polish just that frame and the tins on that type bike... so i love that part...

2. Love the frontend/ rake... not too much ..but enough... ( im not a bike expert just telling you what my eye sees) bars look comfortable for the seat height too..thats alwys a gripe for me if riding..

3. tire and wheel size are spot on.. wide enough out back without being cartoonish.... and big enough front wheel without looking silly....i see a little daylight between rear tire and fender so im guessing its on bags? if so another A+.... rigid is for the birds in my book unless its a classic....

in short thats a good looking bike .... and if you built it all yourself then you dont need me to tell you that.... if youre asking ( i know you didnt ) what i would change on it ...I would loose the mirror, headlight and grips in exchange for something more subtle..... same size wheel but probably a different design ( id have to look to say what ) ...paint it HOK snow whote pearl with HOK Asian Blue Kandy accents similar to the ones you already have on it ..... But since its yours it works as is! The orage thing is a personal quirk.... and i will say thats a great color orange ..Tangerine pearl?

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Thanks.

Post the numbers! side by side. You're the one insisting on data and havent provided a single piece.

And sure, I'll play 18 with you next time I'm on the west coast. I'll bring the vodka and you, of course, can bring the kool-aid

Irons in yellow- top one was my Legacy black 6 iron, the rest go by name...

What does this data prove? You have an absurdly low spin rate with the PXG's and you can't hold a green at those numbers? 191 carry 206 total??? Wouldn't want to be 191 out playing to a front pin on an elevated green with any bit of firmness.

Distance with iron play is about the 4th priority of any serious player.

BUT BOB'S A BILLIONAIRE. HE LOVES GREAT BIKES AND THE BEST GOLF CLUBS IN THE WORLD WHO CARES IF PXG LOSES MONEY HE'S JUST TRYING TO MAKE THE BEST GOLF CLUBS AND BRING INNOVATION BY COPING PING AT EVERY TURN LET THE MAN DO WHAT WHAT HE WANTS WITH HIS MONEY.

Who said i was criticizing him for spending his money? And why the hell are you yelling at me. Turn off the CAPS LOCK!

I use caps lock to reply to the craziest of posts

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Guys, I'm going to give the obligatory mod post about sticking on topic. No bikes here. Please go to bikewrx.com for that.

Can we please just go back to primarily criticizing Rocco or at least PXG?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Guys, I'm going to give the obligatory mod post about sticking on topic. No bikes here. Please go to bikewrx.com for that.

Can we please just go back to primarily criticizing Rocco or at least PXG?

Only a small tangent I assure you. I don't like anything hobby wise more than golf. And it was connected. Just an example of parsons ever surfacing need to show us how smart and well off he is. You know like flying over and killing some elephants instead of using his vast wealth to simply build the village a fence around their crops. ( issue was elephants destroying crops he says ).

Back on topic. Would anyone here who's Twitter literate care to tweet towards Rocco directly. ? He might just answer even if vague. Worth a shot

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I don't get this. As I understand it, once you've experienced the super advanced technology, superior design, and magic fairy dust that makes every PXG club send the ball exactly where you want it to go, it's impossible to play anything else. No?

Anyone?

Every time we take shots at PXG, the faithful show up in their over priced armour and come to their defence. I'd like to think that they're running out of those rehearsed defences. Yep, good clubs, but they are NOT better and are NOT worth more than the other big OEM's. I support their right to spent their money any way they choose. I just happen to think they've been suckered.

Not sure I understand what you are saying. I happen to use the irons and they are the best irons I have ever played in 25 years golfing. My handicap ranges from +2 to 1 depending on the time of year.

Look, this does not mean what I play is better than what you play. Not sure why you need to sit here and label people. Gets old. I'm offended by what you imply by someone valuing differently. Do you troll other threads and imply people are cheap if they pay $100 for a set of irons.

M1 460, Shaft TBD
Epic 15*, Oban purple 05 flex
SLDR Rescue, 19 , X Fujikura
Irons (5-P)- PXG 0311, (4) - O311XF, Steelfiber 110
Bettinardi Kutchar - DASS
Edel 51, 55, 59, Steelfiber 110

Good to hear he's using a golf driver and golf putter.

Good, now he can work on using punctuation

Every character is critical, lol

Have a nice week My Friend ??

All the Best,

RP

I followed Rocco and Daly last year at the tournament in Blaine. He is a very friendly guy with a big personality so him and Daly together was a lot of fun. It's safe to say that Rocco is unfiltered. He said things that made Daly blush that's for sure. I asked him how he liked the PXG's and he shrugged and nodded. Enough said.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

Thanks.

No, where is the imperical data that proves PXG is better across the board for the masses? All you've shown here is that they were better for you. That's not scientific data. That is a personal experience!

Anyway Enjoy your 4, 1400 dollar clubs.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Thanks.

No, where is the imperical data that proves PXG is better across the board for the masses? All you've shown here is that they were better for you. That's not scientific data. That is a personal experience!

Anyway Enjoy your 4, 1400 dollar clubs.

Numbers with the apexs is the best.

Thanks.

PXG 0311T 6i: 28* 37.625"

RSI TP 6i: 30* 37.25"

TMB 6i: 29* 37.5"

Apex Pro 6i: 30* 37.5"

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

honest answer ? not my cup of tea... things i dont care for .... orange... long story.... skulls..never got it.... But my eye sees alot of positives in that bike too...

1. the sheetmetal work... always loved a bike one way or another..either bare skeleton showing ..or like this with a hand fabbed "body " if you will that connects seat pan, rear fender and tank... I appreciate how many hours it takes to fab, smooth and paint/polish just that frame and the tins on that type bike... so i love that part...

2. Love the frontend/ rake... not too much ..but enough... ( im not a bike expert just telling you what my eye sees) bars look comfortable for the seat height too..thats alwys a gripe for me if riding..

3. tire and wheel size are spot on.. wide enough out back without being cartoonish.... and big enough front wheel without looking silly....i see a little daylight between rear tire and fender so im guessing its on bags? if so another A+.... rigid is for the birds in my book unless its a classic....

in short thats a good looking bike .... and if you built it all yourself then you dont need me to tell you that.... if youre asking ( i know you didnt ) what i would change on it ...I would loose the mirror, headlight and grips in exchange for something more subtle..... same size wheel but probably a different design ( id have to look to say what ) ...paint it HOK snow whote pearl with HOK Asian Blue Kandy accents similar to the ones you already have on it ..... But since its yours it works as is! The orage thing is a personal quirk.... and i will say thats a great color orange ..Tangerine pearl?

He's a browns fan.....He has to do something to occupy himself.....

I don't get this. As I understand it, once you've experienced the super advanced technology, superior design, and magic fairy dust that makes every PXG club send the ball exactly where you want it to go, it's impossible to play anything else. No?

Anyone?

Not sure I understand what you are saying. I happen to use the irons and they are the best irons I have ever played in 25 years golfing. My handicap ranges from +2 to 1 depending on the time of year.

Look, this does not mean what I play is better than what you play. Not sure why you need to sit here and label people. Gets old. I'm offended by what you imply by someone valuing differently. Do you troll other threads and imply people are cheap if they pay $100 for a set of irons.

I suppose I did say that I think you're a sucker, but I really don't care that you're offended. The arrogance of charging 3x as much for something that isn't 3x better just blows my mind and I'm openly critical of that. I've yet to be actually critical of anyone that buys the product. You spend your money the way you want to spend it and I'll continue to believe what I believe. And if you think that calling someone a sucker is actually being 'critical', boy you're in for a rough ride kitten. I've said it so many times that it's for sure getting old. PXG makes great clubs. They can take their price point and jump off a cliff. If it was really 3x better, pretty much everybody that was paid to play would bag them. They're not, so they don't. I was pretty clear that I'm basing my valuation on performance per dollar spent.

Some days Lord...some days.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Why would PXG have to be 3X better for 3X the price? For 10 yards more of distance (3%) than the longest driver in golf, most people would pay a lot more than 3% if it was certain they could gain yards.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna