2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What happened with Rocco and PXG?

speeder717

I admire Rocco. If there was something between Rocco and PXG .... it must have been a personal issue.

As for Parsons. Well ... his websites SUCK. I have one. I fell for the snake oil. But .... his Harley and Ducati dealerships in N. Scottsdale are first class.

As for the PXG irons. I don't have issues with them. If people want to pay to play them .... that's their decision. Personally .... I think the clubs look unique.

So typical of people to want to be critical of anyone with expensive items. PXG irons are like Ferraris in the car world. People like to discuss (or hate) items that are exclusive due to price. You don't see people wasting their time to complain about Toyota Camrys. People go where the money is. Ask any attorney. :)

This is Ferrari

http://youtu.be/-ThGRqadOuA

PXG?

; )

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While were talking about Ferrari ... Jump into a pile of Ferrari lovers and mention a ford gt 40. I dare you ! Lol. Fists will fly soon after. A chicken farmer once made Enzo look like a novice in his own backyard with american junk. Price doesn't mean a thing when it comes to quality and performance. They aren't synonyms.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

While were talking about Ferrari ... Jump into a pile of Ferrari lovers and mention a ford gt 40. I dare you ! Lol. Fists will fly soon after. A chicken farmer once made Enzo look like a novice in his own backyard with american junk. Price doesn't mean a thing when it comes to quality and performance. They aren't synonyms.

I agree. The build quality and performance of a Ferrari is not the best in the world. Yet .... Ferrari has waiting lists for new cars and BS dealership tactics. The name FERRARI is a household name denoting high price and exclusivity. A luxury item.

Parsons, IMO, is attempting to do the same. He wants to brand his equipment as ultra high end. Make it a luxury item that may or may not deliver in the performance category.

It's amazing that a thread talking about PXG has reached 4 pages and there hasn't been a picture posted of a certain someone's darkness irons and towel.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Re the 3X argument; how can so many of PXGs detractors on this basis be playing M1/2s that cost them in the neighborhood of $500 (more w/ an upmarket shaft) say this when that M1 probably doesn't give them much better performance than a $50 eBay AeroBurner? Is the M1/2 3X better? It costs 10X as much. The argument just doesn't hold up. Since the beginning of time, things with status-for-hire attached have always cost more and that status is in the eye of the beholder. Is a $20K Harley-Davidson twice as good as its Honda counterpart? As an expert in the field, the answer is....no way. In fact, by all objective criteria except maybe resale value, the Honda is 3X better than the Harley but try telling that to the guy who owns the Harley. I've owned ten of each in my lifetime and never thought about the cost after purchasing. They both satisfied me in different ways. In other words, it's a little bit useless to criticize someone for buying something they like, that they can afford. It's just nobody else's business.

Rocco definitely dances to his own beat.

I think he's got the money, the fame, and a little bit of game left, so why not? Who cares what they pay you, play something that makes your heart beat faster. That being said, those clubs don't suit my eye, but good for him.

Queue the naysayers, 'Rocco didn't drink the Kool-Aid, he's an Idiot.'

It's amazing that a thread talking about PXG has reached 4 pages and there hasn't been a picture posted of a certain someone's darkness irons and towel.

Here's one............. :D

Rocco........out;

Lydia..........IN

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

To everyone saying PXGs are overpriced, here is my rebuttal. It's $750+ for an M1, GBB Epic, or any current driver due to the fact that the shafts I like and fit me best are always upcharges. PXG has many of those shafts at no upcharge. Example: PXG 0811x w/ Hzrdus Black = $700. GBB Epic Sub Zero w/ Hzrdus Black = $750.

Forever tinkering…

To everyone saying PXGs are overpriced, here is my rebuttal. It's $750+ for an M1, GBB Epic, or any current driver due to the fact that the shafts I like and fit me best are always upcharges. PXG has many of those shafts at no upcharge. Example: PXG 0811x w/ Hzrdus Black = $700. GBB Epic Sub Zero w/ Hzrdus Black = $750.

is this accurate ( honest question) i ask because ive seen several pxg drivers used for over $700.... if what you say is true maybe the driver is their "loss leader" lol to lure you into the $4500 iron set

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I don't think sports cars and golf clubs make a very good analogy. There just aren't enough golf club manufacturers.

If I had to throw it out there though I'd say, maybe Dodge Viper?

The marriage of the PING engineers with the price is not congruent IMO. PING would have always been Lexus to me. Toyota guts, but with a little up sale due to the customer service. Now, Bob Parsons has basically re-invented PING with a huge premium. I wonder if anyone crunched the numbers for him to see if he had just been a little more reasonable with the pricing how much more volume they could do...

Curious how long I could go without actually physically seeing one of these clubs? Headed to Bandon in a few weeks, probably see a set there. I'll try and keep my blinders on. :)

I don't get this. As I understand it, once you've experienced the super advanced technology, superior design, and magic fairy dust that makes every PXG club send the ball exactly where you want it to go, it's impossible to play anything else. No?

Anyone?

Every time we take shots at PXG, the faithful show up in their over priced armour and come to their defence. I'd like to think that they're running out of those rehearsed defences. Yep, good clubs, but they are NOT better and are NOT worth more than the other big OEM's. I support their right to spent their money any way they choose. I just happen to think they've been suckered.

I remember the Henry Griffits craze of the late 90s, charging ludicrous prices for supposedly fitted clubs that guarantee extra distance blah blah. I once saw a HG 8 iron in a used bin, the shaft measured longer than my 5 iron and it had a swing weight in the low Cs. Pure snake oil, any club longer than 7 would have been impossible to hit, but they made a fortune from gullible hackers who loved to brag about their ome 180 yard 8 iron per round where they 'really nailed it'

Here's one............. :D

Rocco........out;

Lydia..........IN

It must be annoying for guys who buy PXG to turn up on the first tee and have hackers who don't know of the brand tell them how cheap and ugly they look.

I just re-watched the US Open 2008 playoff between Rocco and Tiger. Man, that was good.

I loved watching the footage of Rocco on the Sunday as Tiger was playing 18. You could see his anguish when Tiger made that putt to force a playoff. The difference in emotions between the two could not have been starker. Rocco was death riding that putt for sure.

P.S. What was Rocco thinking wearing a red shirt in that playoff? Talk about poking the bear.

This is the same guy that had a Dick's golf stand bag and assorted weapons in it just a few years ago. Never met the guy but have always thought he'd be just fine to grab a beer with (other than the fact that he ditched his wife for his trainer--which is a whole different story). Was on #5 tee watching him at the Senior Open at Scioto this year and he casually striped one down the left center of the fairway (let me tell you---this is a TIGHT driving hole (right is DEAD) and put the unlit cigar back in his mouth and smiled as he strolled down off the tee.

He marches to his own beat and he hails Arnie as the true KING of golf. I like him and think he's genuine. He probably has an account on here and is a true WRX ho at heart and just needs something different to get his heartbeat racing when looking into his bag. As for PXG, never hit em, probably never will. NO golf club is worth that price. It's a good thing that Bob Parsons can spend 100 x's more $$ than he makes on these. That being said, I DO love the PXG logo. He definitely nailed that.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore F3
PING G425 Max 3 wood w/ALTA CB 65 Slate

Taylormade Stealth 15* w/Hzrdus RDX 75

SRIXON 3 (22°) Utility Iron w/Recoil Dart F3   
PXG 0317T (5-W) w/Recoil Dart F4

PXG Sugar Daddy II 56* w/Recoil Dart F4

VOKEY SM9 50° & 60° w/Tensei AV
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 w/Accra Shaft (Black on Black)
PRO V1x

I agree. The build quality and performance of a Ferrari is not the best in the world. Yet .... Ferrari has waiting lists for new cars and BS dealership tactics. The name FERRARI is a household name denoting high price and exclusivity. A luxury item.

Parsons, IMO, is attempting to do the same. He wants to brand his equipment as ultra high end. Make it a luxury item that may or may not deliver in the performance category.

Even an @$$hole can drive an Enzo fast

But an @$$hole with pxg in the bag can't garner tour level swing speed even with a 3000 set of irons

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I don't get this. As I understand it, once you've experienced the super advanced technology, superior design, and magic fairy dust that makes every PXG club send the ball exactly where you want it to go, it's impossible to play anything else. No?

Anyone?

Every time we take shots at PXG, the faithful show up in their over priced armour and come to their defence. I'd like to think that they're running out of those rehearsed defences. Yep, good clubs, but they are NOT better and are NOT worth more than the other big OEM's. I support their right to spent their money any way they choose. I just happen to think they've been suckered.

Weak. "You think"; but the data proves PXG performance (trajectory/dispersion/consistency/distance). Most of the PXG hating comes from the folks who haven't put them through proper fitting from a top brand-agnostic fitter with every shaft option and a whole bunch of know-how. I actually have. Even had the lofts matched in the irons I was testing against them.

You'll also notice in my sig I play a variety of stuff (only 4 PXG clubs- slightly modified for me). The best of every brand in relation to me.

The irons are the best performers by far. Be that as it may, I don't play a PW of theirs or any of their wedges yet, because they have improvements to make.

Back up your claim with data and you'll gain a little more street cred.

Great that you could prove the mad bombers point.

. The comments on this thread is ridiculous. The best of every brand. Really? Did you lower your handicap index? When Bob Parson compared his clubs to ferraris it shows two things ,he has lost his mind or his ego is bigger than Texas. If these clubs are so good, they will dominate the tours. Few months back PXG on ebay was a hot commodity but people have catch on to the nonsense and they are not selling. Bob Parsons sells dreams and his next set of irons will be $700 plus a piece as he believes he is the Messiah of golf. This guy is utterly ridiculous and it will catch up to him. When Horschel, Johnson, Kirk and Hahn contract is up they will run for the hills

The comments on this thread is ridiculous. The best of every brand. Really? Did you lower your handicap index? When Bob Parson compared his clubs to ferraris it shows two things ,he has lost his mind or his ego is bigger than Texas. If these clubs are so good, they will dominate the tours. Few months back PXG on ebay was a hot commodity but people have catch on to the nonsense and they are not selling. Bob Parsons sells dreams and his next set of irons will be $700 plus a piece as he believes he is the Messiah of golf. This guy is utterly ridiculous and it will catch up to him. When Horschel, Johnson, Kirk and Hahn contract is up they will run for the hills

So true. I saw the photos of their headquarters and wondered to myself how the heck could they possibly be selling enough sets at $3000+ to afford all that stuff? Their owner (Larry?) is probably coming out of pocket or will be soon to keep the ship afloat.

I'll tell you what may have happened with Rocco. He didn't like the irons and Larry probably told him in a different way, "It's the Indian, not the arrow." That would be enough to send me looking elsewhere.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

I remember the Henry Griffits craze of the late 90s, charging ludicrous prices for supposedly fitted clubs that guarantee extra distance blah blah. I once saw a HG 8 iron in a used bin, the shaft measured longer than my 5 iron and it had a swing weight in the low Cs. Pure snake oil, any club longer than 7 would have been impossible to hit, but they made a fortune from gullible hackers who loved to brag about their ome 180 yard 8 iron per round where they 'really nailed it'

I remember that stuff. The positive for me and family was that the fitting cart allowed you to try multiple shafts & lie setups. Never bought a set, but definitely inspired us to figure out how to make/customize our clubs. In their own way they (and Ping at the time) inspired people to at least try something a bit different.

With respect to your used HG club, yes they would definitely sell you anything the fitter allowed you to talk yourself into...

It is a shameful but the truth of the matter this is a ponzi scheme and it is legal. You bring on high profile players, majestic headquarters, unproven claims, use go daddy as your foot print and people will spend. I give PXG 3 years and hopefully they do go public with ipo which will show them up

Your PXG vitriol shtick has gotten very, very old. I suspect most of the rest of GolfWRX would greatly appreciate you giving it a rest. Just sayin.

P.S. What was Rocco thinking wearing a red shirt in that playoff? Talk about poking the bear.

I remember them asking Rocco that, and he didn't think Tiger was going to wear the same outfit two days in a row.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

Rocco is still reeling after that whooping in '08 by that one legged kitten.

TSR3 10*(D1H1) - Tensie 1k White 60x

909D3 13* - Graffaloy Prolaunch Platinum 70x

Titleist T200 ('21) 3 - Mitsubishi MMT 105TX

Titleist T100 ('21) 4 & 5 - Project X 6.5

Titleist 630MB 6 - P - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 60 - Project X 6.5

Circa 62 #3 Oil Can 35"