New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

When I look at my most recent session with both (1 day apart/Same Club): BS is the same, CHS is 0.1 diff (TM higher), SF is the same, Spin is 122rpm diff (Mevo higher), LA .6 diff (Mevo higher)

That's excellent. Is there anything outside of the standard setup instructions that you are doing? 4-6' from the ball? Are you using the metallic stickers?

We had a chance to do some testing of these up against the Trackman and Flightscope professional units. Surprisingly when set up and calibrated correctly, it's not miles off. The launch angle seems to be the one area which it isn't the most accurate. We were seeing differences of near a degree to a degree and a half vs the pro units. Spin rate was suprisingly close as was ball speed. Truthfully the pro Flightscope tended to be the highest of the bunch on ball speed rating. Basically for $500, with ease of use and portibility, it is quite impressive. It's accurate enough to be useful and pretty consistent even in it's differences.

Let's be honest, we all know that at the cost of an average NEW CAR, these companies are charging a 1000%+ profit along with insane money for update software, etc. The prices of everything technology have been going down massively for many years, but these somehow stay the same. They are entirely out of the realm of possibility for 99.99% of the public and even most companies. Hopefully this thing takes off and brings the cost down to where the professional launch monitors should be. Which is well under $5000.

I've been using the Mevo for only a week over the course of 4 range sessions and this device has taught me more about my swing in the last week than I learned in the last 4 years. I've learned that while swinging at 108mph might stroke my ego, it absolutely kills my ability to hit a good shot. I'm generally 102mph to 105mph and wild with my driver. After a nice streak of 12 long and perfect drives on the range today, I looked up the figures and noticed that all of those swings were between 97 and 101mph. I'd known that I should only be swinging at 80-90% if I'm to have any accuracy with the club, but I never realized just how much of the sweet spot I was sacrificing by wailing away at the ball.

The video capture feature adds so much to the effectiveness as a training tool. I've long been an advocate of recording my range sessions, but having numbers to validate changes in you swing, grip, posture, etc. has been invaluable so far.

If I were a very good golfer looking to squeeze every RPM off of a driver or optimize my launch angle, etc I'm not sure I would find this as useful as I do now. But for a mid handicapper constantly tweaking their swing looking to add consistency, its worth every penny.

• 2 weeks later...

I've read through this whole topic front to back, but still interested in the usage of the Mevo with limited flight range balls. Has anyone experimented with the Mevo distance accuracy between limited flight vs. real balls? It sounds like club head, ball speed, spin (with dots) would all still be accurate, but distance is still read as short with limited flight

I've read through this whole topic front to back, but still interested in the usage of the Mevo with limited flight range balls. Has anyone experimented with the Mevo distance accuracy between limited flight vs. real balls? It sounds like club head, ball speed, spin (with dots) would all still be accurate, but distance is still read as short with limited flight

Ball speed would not be accurate.

Why? It is a radar. It directly measures ball speed. It should measure limited flight balls equally well.

Why? It is a radar. It directly measures ball speed. It should measure limited flight balls equally well.

You’re right. It will measure it just fine but, they’re not going as fast. I believe that’s how they dial back the flight of those balls. You are seemingly asking about “accuracy” in relation to a real ball rather than the measurement of the ball being hit.

Youre right. It will measure it just fine but, theyre not going as fast. I believe thats how they dial back the flight of those balls. You are seemingly asking about accuracy in relation to a real ball rather than the measurement of the ball being hit.

Yes, this. If my goal is to determine real ball yardage’s from range practice with limited flights balls, then the Mevo isn’t going to help me out unless the real ball yardage’s can be calculated (i.e. limited flight balls are 15% shorter) or there’s no difference between limited flight and real ball data.

For example, Mevo says avg 7 iron distance at range with limited flight balls is 150...I’m going to assume that number is effected by the limited flight balls and I can’t go to the course with the assumption 7 iron=150. I just have no data to back up that Mevo is doing that. Anyone?

Oh right. I guess I meant, “ball speed won’t be accurate with a real ball”.

My numbers with the MEVO in a golf dome seem very accurate. I have it set to indoor mode, but setting to outdoor mode didn't seem to make any difference. The dome is about 95 yards long, so the flight obviously is limited. I did NOT use the metallic stickers.

M2, 10.5, AD IZ 6s shaft:

9Ijmj3f.jpg

M2, 9.0, AD IZ 6s shaft:

Fxmw1hs.jpg

I have used GC2 recently and I know these numbers are just as accurate. I have even been on an Xi Tour within the last 3 months and a Trackman last year and they are very similar. I have always spun the ball slightly high on my driver and have always launched it to the moon. I have an M3 440 head on the way currently to do more testing to get launch and spin down, but in terms of accuracy with the MEVO, it's A+.

At first I was having issues, but it was my own fault. The mats at the dome are raised about 2 inches and I didn't raise the MEVO. Once I did, I put it on the box it came in, numbers were spot on.

I like golf. A lot.

My numbers with the MEVO in a golf dome seem very accurate. I have it set to indoor mode, but setting to outdoor mode didn't seem to make any difference. The dome is about 95 yards long, so the flight obviously is limited. I did NOT use the metallic stickers.

9Ijmj3f.jpg

M2, 9.0, AD IZ 6s shaft:

Fxmw1hs.jpg

I have used GC2 recently and I know these numbers are just as accurate. I have even been on an Xi Tour within the last 3 months and a Trackman last year and they are very similar. I have always spun the ball slightly high on my driver and have always launched it to the moon. I have an M3 440 head on the way currently to do more testing to get launch and spin down, but in terms of accuracy with the MEVO, it's A+.

At first I was having issues, but it was my own fault. The mats at the dome are raised about 2 inches and I didn't raise the MEVO. Once I did, I put it on the box it came in, numbers were spot on.

How were spin rates with irons and wedges without the stickers?

You’re right. It will measure it just fine but, they’re not going as fast. I believe that’s how they dial back the flight of those balls. You are seemingly asking about “accuracy” in relation to a real ball rather than the measurement of the ball being hit.

Yes, this. If my goal is to determine real ball yardage’s from range practice with limited flights balls, then the Mevo isn’t going to help me out unless the real ball yardage’s can be calculated (i.e. limited flight balls are 15% shorter) or there’s no difference between limited flight and real ball data.

For example, Mevo says avg 7 iron distance at range with limited flight balls is 150...I’m going to assume that number is effected by the limited flight balls and I can’t go to the course with the assumption 7 iron=150. I just have no data to back up that Mevo is doing that. Anyone?

I’m not an expert on the Mevo or the balls so hopefully someone can provide more definitive info. My thoughts are that there are too many variables to simplify it like that. I’m sure it would be close but taking into accounts ball speed, spin rates etc. being measured I don’t think it would work out to be a simply addition of 15%.

9Ijmj3f.jpg

M2, 9.0, AD IZ 6s shaft:

Fxmw1hs.jpg

How were spin rates with irons and wedges without the stickers?

I haven't done a lot of testing with irons on anything other than the MEVO, but without the stickers, it was about 7000rpm with an 8 iron, 5500rpm with 6 iron, 4500 with 4 iron and 4000rpm with my 20 degree driving iron.

I like golf. A lot.

Hey guys- I got a Mevo for Christmas and been able to work with it a good bit over the last couple months. Due to the winter weather, I bought a nice mat and net that I keep in my car, so most of my numbers have come from the indoor setting. Just an FYI- My mat allows me to use my own tees and I usually place the net 12 or so feet from the front of the mat. Using a mat and net also allows me to use premium balls with the silver stickers on all of my shots.

As most people have noted, it is very important to make sure the Mevo is sitting at the same height as the ball. When I'm hitting irons on the mat, I sit the Mevo on top of its box, and when I'm hitting a driver, I put a dozen balls under the box. This works perfectly. I also change the distance setting for certain clubs--this tends to work really well. When I'm hitting irons, I place the Mevo at five feet away. When I'm hitting woods or driver, I play the Mevo at six feet away. I do this because longer clubs have a longer swing path, and if the Mevo is at five feet for a driver, the club head gets higher and wider than the radar's view at certain points in the swing. So I've found that club head speed will be incorrect if the Mevo is too close during driver swings. It is also important to be mindful of the height of the golfer. I'm only 5'9", so my swing isn't as tall as someone who is 6'3". A taller person needs to move the Mevo farther back so it can capture the entire swing. I know this is a problem because when my buddies come over, all of my swings will register and then when one of my tall friends hit a shot the club head speed will be grossly different when everything else is the same.

All in all, I find the Mevo to be extremely reliable and accurate, especially on the indoor setting. I recently hit shots on a GC4 and my numbers were nearly identical. Another great feature on the Mevo is it allows you to upload all of your data directly into an Excel spreadsheet. So it's very easy for me to keep an updated table with all my current averages for each of my clubs.

Hey guys- I got a Mevo for Christmas and been able to work with it a good bit over the last couple months. Due to the winter weather, I bought a nice mat and net that I keep in my car, so most of my numbers have come from the indoor setting. Just an FYI- My mat allows me to use my own tees and I usually place the net 12 or so feet from the front of the mat. Using a mat and net also allows me to use premium balls with the silver stickers on all of my shots.

As most people have noted, it is very important to make sure the Mevo is sitting at the same height as the ball. When I'm hitting irons on the mat, I sit the Mevo on top of its box, and when I'm hitting a driver, I put a dozen balls under the box. This works perfectly. I also change the distance setting for certain clubs--this tends to work really well. When I'm hitting irons, I place the Mevo at five feet away. When I'm hitting woods or driver, I play the Mevo at six feet away. I do this because longer clubs have a longer swing path, and if the Mevo is at five feet for a driver, the club head gets higher and wider than the radar's view at certain points in the swing. So I've found that club head speed will be incorrect if the Mevo is too close during driver swings. It is also important to be mindful of the height of the golfer. I'm only 5'9", so my swing isn't as tall as someone who is 6'3". A taller person needs to move the Mevo farther back so it can capture the entire swing. I know this is a problem because when my buddies come over, all of my swings will register and then when one of my tall friends hit a shot the club head speed will be grossly different when everything else is the same.

All in all, I find the Mevo to be extremely reliable and accurate, especially on the indoor setting. I recently hit shots on a GC4 and my numbers were nearly identical. Another great feature on the Mevo is it allows you to upload all of your data directly into an Excel spreadsheet. So it's very easy for me to keep an updated table with all my current averages for each of my clubs.

Great post. One thing I'd like to ask is, have you tried hitting driver just selecting driver and not putting the dozen balls under the MEVO box? Only reason I ask is because it may not be necessary. I was told by Mac at FlightScope that when selecting driver, it automatically adjusts up to 2 inches upwards for tee height. I don't raise my MEVO any higher when using driver and find the numbers to be very accurate.

I like golf. A lot.

Great post. One thing I'd like to ask is, have you tried hitting driver just selecting driver and not putting the dozen balls under the MEVO box? Only reason I ask is because it may not be necessary. I was told by Mac at FlightScope that when selecting driver, it automatically adjusts up to 2 inches upwards for tee height. I don't raise my MEVO any higher when using driver and find the numbers to be very accurate.

I feel certain that I've done this at one point or another but I've always tried to use the box, etc. I remember I did it without a box one time and the launch was like 22 degrees or something. I'm sure I'll hit drivers next weekend and I'll try it without the dozen balls to see whether the numbers are still around the same.

9Ijmj3f.jpg

M2, 9.0, AD IZ 6s shaft:

Fxmw1hs.jpg

Were they limited flight balls in the dome? I understand the shorter carry distance of 95 yds, but I don't think the Mevo captures the whole trajectory anyway. Where I'm having trouble is what limited flight balls do to the numbers. Not sure if it's less compression or dimple pattern but they don't fly as far as a normal ball (reduced ball speed) and I'm assuming that's going to be reflected in Mevo numbers, but that's just a guess I can't confirm

9Ijmj3f.jpg

M2, 9.0, AD IZ 6s shaft:

Fxmw1hs.jpg

Were they limited flight balls in the dome? I understand the shorter carry distance of 95 yds, but I don't think the Mevo captures the whole trajectory anyway. Where I'm having trouble is what limited flight balls do to the numbers. Not sure if it's less compression or dimple pattern but they don't fly as far as a normal ball (reduced ball speed) and I'm assuming that's going to be reflected in Mevo numbers, but that's just a guess I can't confirm

They seem to fly normal. I guess I can't definitively answer that, but my guess is that they are just normal, kinda crappy range balls.

They hit the back of the dome at a pretty good speed so I really dont think they are limited flight.

I like golf. A lot.

From what I've read most "limited distance" range balls tend to function based on using core materials that reduce ball speed (less efficient elasticity and more energy lost when compressed) - not doing anything different with respect to the aerodynamics. Spin numbers should be fairly good - at least with respect to range balls that are not limited distance (which of course is not the same as being representative of spin with your gamer ball).

Anyone have details on recent firmware updates?

I don't even know where I'd start to find out anything about firmware updates...or even how to load them? I didn't see in their FAQ...

Yeah I have been trying to find out information on the most recent firmware release, but have had no luck. I have reached out to Flightscope support and am waiting to hear back from them.

I don't even know where I'd start to find out anything about firmware updates...or even how to load them? I didn't see in their FAQ...

Yeah I have been trying to find out information on the most recent firmware release, but have had no luck. I have reached out to Flightscope support and am waiting to hear back from them.

Keep me/us updated. Very curious...

I like golf. A lot.

The best thing to do (if you haven't done it yet) is to force a firmware update. This makes sure you have the most recent version. A new app update came out last week, too, so make sure you have that as well.

To force a firmware writing, connect your phone to your Mevo like you would when you're hitting balls. Then go to the settings tab, and towards the bottom click on force firmware update or something like that. If your Mevo is connected to your phone it will update the firmware version on your Mevo. It takes a few minutes so I'd try not to interrupt it while it is downloading.

The best thing to do (if you haven't done it yet) is to force a firmware update. This makes sure you have the most recent version. A new app update came out last week, too, so make sure you have that as well.

To force a firmware writing, connect your phone to your Mevo like you would when you're hitting balls. Then go to the settings tab, and towards the bottom click on force firmware update or something like that. If your Mevo is connected to your phone it will update the firmware version on your Mevo. It takes a few minutes so I'd try not to interrupt it while it is downloading.

Now that you explained it, I remember that's what I did when I first started using it like 2 or 3 weeks ago. I don't believe I have updated the app yet, though.

Still would be nice to hear from FlightScope about what the firmware updates do and what they have planned.

I like golf. A lot.

Somewhat of an odd change in the latest app update. With the old app, you would manually confirm you had the latest firmware installed.

The update took that away, and in the process erased two fields related to firmware version. I figured pairing would restore the fields, but when I paired, it told me it was installing a firmware update and it proceeded to install v1.08. But, for some reason I recall I had 1.08 installed before the app update. I can't tell if this is a new update, or simply a re-install of the old one.

FWIW, in the past, when the app was updated, I would re-write the firmware, even if there was no firmware update. Maybe the new app is replicating that process...

Somewhat of an odd change in the latest app update. With the old app, you would manually confirm you had the latest firmware installed.

The update took that away, and in the process erased two fields related to firmware version. I figured pairing would restore the fields, but when I paired, it told me it was installing a firmware update and it proceeded to install v1.08. But, for some reason I recall I had 1.08 installed before the app update. I can't tell if this is a new update, or simply a re-install of the old one.

FWIW, in the past, when the app was updated, I would re-write the firmware, even if there was no firmware update. Maybe the new app is replicating that process...

I noticed that the recent update took away the ability to for you to re-write the firmware. Its one of the things I've reached out to Flightscope to comment on. This new update has actually been causing me quite a few headaches...

Mevo Support got back to me:

"The latest Firmware for your Mevo should be is as below:

AVR for Mevo: 0.08

DSP for Mevo: 1.09

Feedback from the Developers is the Forced Firmware Writing was removed because they want the Firmware Updates to go through automatically when prompted rather than manually through the Force Firmware Writing process.

Regarding the data not showing up. We have had plenty of calls regarding that and restarting the phone completely and/or switching the Detection Mode seem to have worked so if you are still having issues then it might possibly be that there is no Firmware on the sensor.

We have sent a new version of the App to Apple with the Bug Fix and should be released within the next couple of days."

Feedback from the Developers is the Forced Firmware Writing was removed because they want the Firmware Updates to go through automatically when prompted rather than manually through the Force Firmware Writing process.

Regarding the data not showing up. We have had plenty of calls regarding that and restarting the phone completely and/or switching the Detection Mode seem to have worked so if you are still having issues then it might possibly be that there is no Firmware on the sensor.

We have sent a new version of the App to Apple with the Bug Fix and should be released within the next couple of days."

What about for the smart people who own Android devices?! ;)

Good stuff, I suppose.

I like golf. A lot.

What about for the smart people who own Android devices?! ;)

Good stuff, I suppose.

Looks like you are in the clear as their response makes it sounds as if the bug was isolated to the Apple app (but i can't confirm that). For all other aspects of Android, that is another issue and I digress and will let that be debated in other forums... Haha