2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Should Topic Title Be: Tiger Is Done, or Is Tiger Done?

DrSchteeve

Let ma preface by saying I have never cared for or about Tiger. His club slamming and tossing has no place in golf. Some will say thatsvjust part of the game, but I certainly don't remember it before Tiger.

I guess the things I dislike most about him though is that I can't remember him ever having "health issues" when he was on the first page of a leaderboard, but he has no problem walking away when his game is off. At this point every event he's in, I feel as though he's taking away a spot and chance from someone else to be actually playing the event.

I don't "hate" the guy, I just don't like him. It's time to move on Tigger, before you end up crippled and unable to walk. Go out and chase whores now. It seems to be what you do best for the past few years.

No club slamming and tossing before TW?

I bet he invented cussing too ; )

Was this club toss modelled on TW?

[media=]http://youtu.be/E2aGo7hLJoE[/media]

Best was, never forget, I was a kid and this board member, after a bad round, throws his whole bag of clubs in the lake. One by one.

$hit manners were around a long time before TW.

yes, but Tiger specialized the art of cussing and throwing!

Cussing: yes. Throwing: not so much - he had a few throws. Most of what are called throws are drops, not throws. But manners in general were/are no Tiger strong point. Reminder: I'm a Tiger fan.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Let ma preface by saying I have never cared for or about Tiger. His club slamming and tossing has no place in golf. Some will say thatsvjust part of the game, but I certainly don't remember it before Tiger.

I guess the things I dislike most about him though is that I can't remember him ever having "health issues" when he was on the first page of a leaderboard, but he has no problem walking away when his game is off. At this point every event he's in, I feel as though he's taking away a spot and chance from someone else to be actually playing the event.

I don't "hate" the guy, I just don't like him. It's time to move on Tigger, before you end up crippled and unable to walk. Go out and chase whores now. It seems to be what you do best for the past few years.

http://youtu.be/E2aGo7hLJoE

Best was, never forget, I was a kid and this board member, after a bad round, throws his whole bag of clubs in the lake. One by one.

Hey, its too bad they cant make a remake of Caddyshack with TW and Ted Knight (RIP).

Of course, they could* still make one.

Have like Tiger could be a retired golfer sleeping with all the wives and teaching the kids to curse and throw clubs.

Well, maybe that wouldnt exactly be much of a stretch but Im sure they could hatch some plot. Maybe have Phil as the high rolling gambler, trading stcocks all day. Ok, wait, thats not much of a stretch either.

Got it, they would have this megalomaniac real estate/golf developer actually run for president and...

Hey, know what, I guess real golf is better than the movies these days ; )

Hey, its too bad they cant make a remake of Caddyshack with TW and Ted Knight (RIP).

Of course, they could* still make one.

Have like Tiger could be a retired golfer sleeping with all the wives and teaching the kids to curse and throw clubs.

Well, maybe that wouldnt exactly be much of a stretch but Im sure they could hatch some plot. Maybe have Phil as the high rolling gambler, trading stcocks all day. Ok, wait, thats not much of a stretch either.

Got it, they would have this megalomaniac real estate/golf developer actually run for president and...

Hey, know what, I guess real golf is better than the movies these days ; )

Boo Weekly as Carl Spacklers offspring?

Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former hunter/fisherman, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

At this point it's quite obvious that Tiger will never have a healthy, full season.

Even if he took off the rest of 2017, he'd have the same problems in 2018.

With that in mind, yeah....he's done. A couple more tournaments here and there and that will be it.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

Everybody needs to settle down regarding the whole saving himself bit. He's not in the trenches battling off attackers. It's golf people, not MMA. If he's got pain, it will go away. Most of the 'pain' is put on anyway.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Everybody needs to settle down regarding the whole saving himself bit. He's not in the trenches battling off attackers. It's golf people, not MMA. If he's got pain, it will go away. Most of the 'pain' is put on anyway.

So he's faking pain he says he doesn't have?

Is that like beating someone to the ignore Jerry?

So he's faking pain he says he doesn't have?

Is that like beating someone to the ignore Jerry?

Maybe! Who the hell knows what's real and what's for people to see... It's just comical with all the feigned concern over his future 'life', in retirement, like he was a boxer or football player battling concussions and the like. You want to see back pain and not being able to walk, much less golf, my dad 10 years ago before retiring from a blue collar manual labor job. He needed help to get out of bed just to get 'ready' for work, but today, he's doing just fine and can do everything perfectly well. I am not soliciting sympathy because ultimately, it was his career choice, but this just puts in perspective how trivial this inability to GOLF is by comparison. TW will be FINE for all those envisioning a wheelchair bound, crippled man. Ha, that makes me laugh.....

Edel Brick

Now that Tiger is done with golf, he can finally work on the next big thing. Fulfilling his father's prophecy:

From Golf.com:

"Tiger will do more than any other man in history to change the course of humanity," Earl Woods said. No kidding? Smith was understandably skeptical, so he followed up: Would the kid do more than Buddha, Gandhi and Nelson Mandela?

"Yes, because he has a larger forum than any of them," Earl said.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

Okay, I do concede this issue of Weiskopf there! But during Tigers career, he only went up against 2 guys that won more than 3 Majors, Yes, 2. (Mickelson and Els)

On the other hand Jack went up against 5 guys who had more than 3 Majors to their names. (Player, Trevino, Palmer, Watson and Ballesteros). so I'd still like to know who these 20-30 'greats' who went up against Tiger are?

But even if you take other players out of the equation, if you take the record of Jack at Augusta alone. His average score around Augusta was 72, whereas Tigers was 71, but when you take into consideration that of the 163 times Jack tee'd it up at Augusta, over 40 of those rounds were when he was over 50yo! That does put into perspective how good an average score he had around Augusta as an example.

And whilst we're on the subject of the players that really matter, who thinks who is the best. Tiger himself said Jack was the best! Lip service? Well maybe, but I happen to agree with Tiger on that one.

Jack didn't play the same Augusta as Tiger. One look at him and the members decided the course needed to be tiger proofed before he turned their tournament into a pitch and putt. They never felt the need to Jack proof the course. Tigrr only played the same course Jack won his jackets omce, and we saw what he did to it. Not an apples to apples to comparison. As for tiger saying Jack was the best, that was him respecting Jacks superior record and being polite. Plenty of guys who played with prime Jack say that Tiger is the best player they have ever seen.

I understand your argument but the mowing/greenskeeping technology didnt exist back then either so the point is moot because tiger didnt play the old augusta with older equipment. See how this reasoning doesnt accomplish anything?Neither of those things diminish Tiger or elevate Jack and vice versa. It just is how things were neither player could control those things. They didnt tiger proof augusta which is a myth that wont die. Truth is they were behind the curve of what was happening in the world of golf course design and they upped their game to improve the course not just for then but for the next 20 years. The famous quote from johnson and roberts was that when they saw Mickelson fly the the right bunker on the first hole by 20 yards that something needed to be done as the integrity of the course was under attack. Was tiger part of that decsion? sure but 97 was an eclipse seen once every 40-50 years and was proven when tiger didnt sniff a green jacket for 4 years after that which proves the course setup wasnt the issue. As for players who played with Jack saying tiger was better, how is that relevant when the game has changed so much. I can claim to be longer then ben hogan was and had 10 time the short game of jack but of course i am/do because im benefitting from modern immaculate course conditions and technology and instruction. Again doesnt diminish either or elevate either. Eras are very hard to compare. as a previous poster pointed out jacks record hasnt changed in 30 years and its looking like Tigers wont really either. As it stands the argument cant really be made in tigers favor that hes really the goat. Can we say for a 3-4 year stretch its as dominant as weve seen? sure but longevity and consistency matter and as great and consistent as tiger was jack was even more so especially in the majors, that cant be debated

TW has always been fascinating to me. No mistaking a shot hit by him. The air sizzled. You didn't need to see who hit the shot to know who was the author of it. Very, very few whom I've seen play here in Akron could do that. And of all the great shots I've seen live or on the screen many, if not most, were his. And they were astonishing. Compelling. His talent and drive were second to no one ever who has played this game.

Having said all that, I wish for him and us things could have been different. We had to invade and intrude to the point where he had to isolate. We demanded access, he demanded space. Truly a product of his time.

I am not necessarily a sympathizer, but it makes me more than a little sad that his career has come down to this.

100% Disagree. Alot of that Id say 95% of it was self inflicted. If a writer criticized anything about him even in the slightest he blackballed them. He did it to himself. He was poorly managed and surrounded himself with yes men. Nobody is bigger than the game. Faldo and Norman had vicious things written about them and didnt act like that. I have no pity as he had a chance to be different and chose not to. Im sure he regrets alot of those things as we all do at those ages. John Feinstein simply pointed out that it was a faux pas not being there for jackie robinsons 50th anniversary as he represents hope for people of color in a predominately white sport and he lost his mind. Downhill from there.Just my 2 cents

Now that Tiger is done with golf, he can finally work on the next big thing. Fulfilling his father's prophecy:

From Golf.com:

"Tiger will do more than any other man in history to change the course of humanity," Earl Woods said. No kidding? Smith was understandably skeptical, so he followed up: Would the kid do more than Buddha, Gandhi and Nelson Mandela?

"Yes, because he has a larger forum than any of them," Earl said.

No pressure.

TW has always been fascinating to me. No mistaking a shot hit by him. The air sizzled. You didn't need to see who hit the shot to know who was the author of it. Very, very few whom I've seen play here in Akron could do that. And of all the great shots I've seen live or on the screen many, if not most, were his. And they were astonishing. Compelling. His talent and drive were second to no one ever who has played this game.

Having said all that, I wish for him and us things could have been different. We had to invade and intrude to the point where he had to isolate. We demanded access, he demanded space. Truly a product of his time.

I am not necessarily a sympathizer, but it makes me more than a little sad that his career has come down to this.

You could say that about any celebrity.

Surely the time has come to end these lifetime exemptions, under 65 ex winners etc.

Winning a major should be just say '5 years' exemption, a regular tour event maybe 2 years.

Duval won the Open at Lytham back in 2001 and lost his game soon afterwards, yet he still qualifies to play this year.

Surely being on the infamous 666, without a recent win, he should have to go back to Tour School like anyone else and

stop taking the place of some young kid who is still trying to get a break.

100% Disagree. Alot of that Id say 95% of it was self inflicted. If a writer criticized anything about him even in the slightest he blackballed them. He did it to himself. He was poorly managed and surrounded himself with yes men. Nobody is bigger than the game. Faldo and Norman had vicious things written about them and didnt act like that. I have no pity as he had a chance to be different and chose not to. Im sure he regrets alot of those things as we all do at those ages. John Feinstein simply pointed out that it was a faux pas not being there for jackie robinsons 50th anniversary as he represents hope for people of color in a predominately white sport and he lost his mind. Downhill from there.Just my 2 cents

Tiger mania was there from the git. Yes he made poor decisions. But the hoards and nonstop media coverage

were suffocating. Never once did I envy him.

My dad sat two down courtside from LeBron at a U. Of Akron basketball game last weekend. No circus, just LeBron watching the game with the rest of the fans.

Tiger could never do that.

My dad sat two down courtside from LeBron at a U. Of Akron basketball game last weekend. No circus, just LeBron watching the game with the rest of the fans.

I'm sure he could. I was at a Celtics playoff game years ago (against the Bulls when Bird and Jordan were playing) and was sitting next to one of the most popular Red Sox players at the time. Everyone left him alone. You don't see the celebrities hassled at Lakers games, and there are some pretty big names that attend. Plus, the people are there to watch the game, not hassle celebrities.

I saw him on TV at a few Lindsey Vonn events and he wasn't being hassled by anyone.

Surely the time has come to end these lifetime exemptions, under 65 ex winners etc.

Winning a major should be just say '5 years' exemption, a regular tour event maybe 2 years.

Duval won the Open at Lytham back in 2001 and lost his game soon afterwards, yet he still qualifies to play this year.

Surely being on the infamous 666, without a recent win, he should have to go back to Tour School like anyone else and

1. That's part of the significance/benefit of winning a major - well deserved and nice historical recognition as well.

2. Qualification processes aren't uniform, but make allowances. You could argue endlessly every year to just let another one or two in. And they've been changed over the years. The Open is age 60 not 65 (unless you win later in life or finish high the year before) if grandfathered in, otherwise I think past 10 years. Plenty of opportunities. U.S. Open just last 10 years now as far as automatic for past champs since the change. Masters and PGA different, but not that big a deal.

3. Young kid argument somewhat specious. They all know what it takes to qualify - play better if you want to get in. That's the bottom line for anyone outside looking in,

I'm sure he could. I was at a Celtics playoff game years ago (against the Bulls when Bird and Jordan were playing) and was sitting next to one of the most popular Red Sox players at the time. Everyone left him alone. You don't see the celebrities hassled at Lakers games, and there are some pretty big names that attend. Plus, the people are there to watch the game, not hassle celebrities.

I saw him on TV at a few Lindsey Vonn events and he wasn't being hassled by anyone.

I'm talking pedestrian stuff like the local college bball game. High profile events are different and the bubble was burst by the time Lindsey Vonn came along. But I see what you're saying.

Tiger mania was there from the git. Yes he made poor decisions. But the hoards and nonstop media coverage

were suffocating. Never once did I envy him.

I dont see what you mean, hoards? no worse than any big sports star. I had a drink at the blue martini in orlando in 2006 and he walked in and no one one bugged him for 2+ hours. Dwight Howard came in an hour later and was harrassed non stop. the media coverage youre thinking of is post fire hydrant. Before that was nothing we havent seen before. He was playing great/historic golf and that came with the attention that was well deserved.

Sure he could and he has. i dont know where youre getting your info

You are playing with fire here. The "they earned their place in the field" despote winning 40 years ago and stinking it up yeae after year guys will not take kindly to this kind of common sense.

Don't ever count the "GOAT" out. Look at what Brady did a few hours ago. I'm just saying!

Yeah but Brady only needed one team to choke and hand it to him. Tiger needs about 150 golfers a week to take the gas.

Exactly, well said. there no zone/prevent defence in golf. You gotta do it yourself 99% of the time

Don't ever count the "GOAT" out. Look at what Brady did a few hours ago. I'm just saying!

Yeah but Brady only needed one team to choke and hand it to him. Tiger needs about 150 golfers a week to take the gas.

Exactly, well said. there no zone/prevent defence in golf. You gotta do it yourself 99% of the time

Stunned by the EPIC fail from Atlanta. As a Packer fan, I know all too well the 'prevent' defense cause Dom Capers employs all too often with a lead!!! I know this is a golf forum, but that was an ungodly choke, and it deserves some venting, wow! Keep your foot on the gas or expect to get passed!! Ouch!

In the words of Dr. Beaman(aka Will Ferrell), "That was ROUGHHHH...."

Edel Brick