Anyone still playing Maxfli Revolution blacks?

Stonewalled

I own sets of Black Dots, Aussie Blades, and A10s. No difference at all in feel to me. The A10s have an ever so slightly rounder, thicker, larger profile. Not mid-sized like the Red Dots by any means, just a hair overall beefier than the Aussies/Black Dots. All of them are great clubs. I moved on from them a few years back more out of boredom (i.e., ho'ing) than anything else, but they're all sets I don't plan on ever selling. Every time a thread like this pops up I get tempted to give them another go.

Wow u got the them all impressive, was just about to add some A10's last night as well, but figured i better try the black dots first. Thanks for the info on the differences between the sets. I know what u mean about boredom hoing etc, got to many idle sets as well.

Wow very nice lefty set. Impressive to have them in the bag for what 7-9 years. Those babies have saved u a ton of money on new clubs. Priceless. Hopefully my Rev's will send a few misc sets i have to the BST. lol

I think they have been in the bag for 12 years if I remember correct. Pissed my coach of that I kept them and sold the set I got from school each year :)

The fact that u have had them in the bag for all these years and have passed up all those free sets is unheard of in these parts. lol Can't wait to try mine.

Thats a good problem to have lol So the Aussie blades are considerably softer than the rev blacks?

I honestly haven't hit the Rev Blacks enough to say one way or the other.

Sounds like your set is basically new and patiently waiting. Got a few of those sitting around as well. Never enough time it seems.

Haven't had a set of the blacks but I have some sets of the Maxfli A10 Tours's. One of my top 5 of all time. They were a close cousin but were a combo set. Same nickel chrome casting and very soft feeling irons.

Lol, multiple sets of the Tours impressive. The A10 tours look lovely and they receive high praise from people in the know.

Is there much difference in feel between the 8,9 pw and the cb rest of the set?

Yeah I sort of ended up with 3 sets. Got a well played set with rifle 5.5 which I played a lot and loved the combo. Picked up a set with R300 because they went to 2 iron and I got them cheap. When a set with about 2 rounds on them still with the factory headcovers on a string came up with s300 well I sorta couldn't resist. Can't get too much of a good thing. Right?

Transition is really good in look and feel into the blades. But they are a specifically designed combo set.

When you see the black dots, the A10 tours and the Aussie blades in this thread you realize how many great club makers have gone by the wayside :(.

One can never have enough of the good stuff. Nice to have multiples one for show and 2 to go.

Want me some A10 tours now.

When i was a young lad i can remember lusting over some Maxfli irons, not sure of the model. Too bad Maxfli is gone. Wonder if Dick's sporting goods will revive the name. Make some balls or something.

The Aussie Blades are one of the few sets that I wish was made in lefty

My dad was a lefty, quite a strong field of lefty's in my area.

Would have been a lefty as well, as i started swinging left handed with right handed clubs my first time golfing.[shot left handed for hockey] Had someone had some leftys to play i would have used em.

Not sure it's a good thing now that i shoot right , to many choices out there to ho. lol

Would have been a lefty as well, as i started swinging left handed with right handed clubs my first time golfing.[shot left handed for hockey] Had someone had some leftys to play i would have used em.

Not sure it's a good thing now that i shoot right , to many choices out there to ho. lol

Same but the opposite for my son. He is a righty but pretty darn good lefty at some stuff. I bought him a plastic set and he only swung them righty for a few days before switching to lefty. Needless to say I was happy

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I've got a set of black dots, bought them new years ago, keep thinking about re-shafting them, but never get round to it so I think I might just regrip them and see what they're like, I haven't used them for years!

TM SLDR.
Callaway x-hot 3 deep.
Nike vr pro ltd 5 wood.
Ping i20 4-w.
Titleist sm4 52,56,60.
Taylormade daddy long legs.

Had black dots and A10s, They were both great sets of irons. Thanks for reminding me. May be a winter project to sniff out a set........

In the bag (for now)

[color=#ff8c00]PIng G (Bubba Pink)[/color]
Taylormade M2 4 iron
Maxfli A 10 Tour limited 4- PW
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Cb 50, 56, 60
[color=#ff0000]Scotty Cameron Circle T Golo[/color]

Same but the opposite for my son. He is a righty but pretty darn good lefty at some stuff. I bought him a plastic set and he only swung them righty for a few days before switching to lefty. Needless to say I was happy

Your a good dad getting him started early. When my son was around your sons age we golfed a few times. He enjoyed it but with summer being my busy season and the fact i only golfed maybe twice a year back then i missed out on the opportunity to get him hooked on golf. If i could go back i would have enrolled him in some junior lessons/ league etc. My bad. Enjoy your golf time with your little Lefty.

I've got a set of black dots in 1i-sw. Got the heads here new a few years back when MrMaxfi (I think was his user name, or very similar) found a bunch of new old stock.

I did build them up but went cheap with Apollo shafts as a backup set. I keep thinking I'd like to rebuild them with something I'd actually play but just haven't pulled the trigger. I'd love to try a heavy weight graphite but it just seems wrong to put $300-$400+ worth of shafts in a $100 set of heads. Maybe in time I guess

I've got a set of black dots in 1i-sw. Got the heads here new a few years back when MrMaxfi (I think was his user name, or very similar) found a bunch of new old stock.

I did build them up but went cheap with Apollo shafts as a backup set. I keep thinking I'd like to rebuild them with something I'd actually play but just haven't pulled the trigger. I'd love to try a heavy weight graphite but it just seems wrong to put $300-$400+ worth of shafts in a $100 set of heads. Maybe in time I guess

I have read some early threads on the Rev Blacks, MrMaxfli was the man with the goods. lol

I am still waiting for my set to arrive via ebay, but thought the same thing about upgrading the shafts, i have a spare set of recoil 110 F5 laying around looking for a good home.

Glad i'm not the only one thinking this is a good idea. lol

After being involved in this thread I pulled out my A10 tours with rifle flighted 5.5 in them and played my regular wednesday comp at the club today. About 8 months ago I had them regriped and lofts and lies checked so they were good to go. Bear in mind I shot 75 two days ago with my mp4's and that was with 3 legitimate birdie putts I thought I could make but didn't.

Obviously I am in reasonable form but wondered if I was crazy to switch. The A10 tours are one of my all time favorites and I have played them extensively in the past but they haven't really seen the bag in 5 years or so.

You know what comes next don't you.......

They were like an old friend that suddenly came back into my life. No warm up just go and play. First hole, first approach shot just absolutely flushed an 8 iron straight over the pin. Only made par but off I went and birdied 2 of the first 5. 2 under after 5. Anyway flagged a little due to old age at the end of the round, and lipped out a putt on the last hole for 73 but was just so pleased with my iron play. Hardly hit a bad shot.

Yeah I know passive brag but my real point is who needs all the latest and greatest. Just find a quality older set that you love and works for you and that is all you need.

Sure I'll get the itch again but I can never deny just how good those old Maxfli A10 tours are for my game. Just an amazing set of irons.

Edit. I didn't even mention how soft and sweet feeling they are.

Gamed my Revolution black dots (3-PW) from 2000 until last year when I finally made the decision to "modernize" to set of Srixons. The reason I gamed them for so long was purely down to the fact that I couldn't find anything during that period that felt, looked and played any better.

Loved the combo of these with the original A10 ball, sweetest feeling golf shots I've ever hit!

Still haven't brought myself to fully retire them to storage, they've keeping my Srixons honest by sitting next to them every night.

I have a set of 690mb with Rip Tour 115 coming in about a month, well see if the Rev Blacks finally get retired.....

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

After being involved in this thread I pulled out my A10 tours with rifle flighted 5.5 in them and played my regular wednesday comp at the club today. About 8 months ago I had them regriped and lofts and lies checked so they were good to go. Bear in mind I shot 75 two days ago with my mp4's and that was with 3 legitimate birdie putts I thought I could make but didn't.

Obviously I am in reasonable form but wondered if I was crazy to switch. The A10 tours are one of my all time favorites and I have played them extensively in the past but they haven't really seen the bag in 5 years or so.

You know what comes next don't you.......

They were like an old friend that suddenly came back into my life. No warm up just go and play. First hole, first approach shot just absolutely flushed an 8 iron straight over the pin. Only made par but off I went and birdied 2 of the first 5. 2 under after 5. Anyway flagged a little due to old age at the end of the round, and lipped out a putt on the last hole for 73 but was just so pleased with my iron play. Hardly hit a bad shot.

Yeah I know passive brag but my real point is who needs all the latest and greatest. Just find a quality older set that you love and works for you and that is all you need.

Sure I'll get the itch again but I can never deny just how good those old Maxfli A10 tours are for my game. Just an amazing set of irons.

Edit. I didn't even mention how soft and sweet feeling they are.

You put a big smile on my face after reading your post Oldplayer. You got to change your handle from Oldplayer to just Player.

Glad to hear u pulled out one of your A10 sets and had a fantastic round.

Hopefully i can beat my personal best round of 75 [one time only occurrence] with the Rev Blacks.

Kinda cool how this site can change our own little golf worlds. I was reading a thread on here about some black irons and someone mentioned black Macgregor MT Pro C's. I had always wanted a set and found a nice set listed on ebay for $200, i was hesitant to drop another $300 plus Canadian on another set of irons i didn't need. So i was thinking about black irons and thought maybe i should look up Revolution black dots on ebay again and wala mint set $100 and free shipping. Bingo.

I am very happy you all have posted your experiences with the Blacks and the A10's and Aussie's.. Thank you.

They are definitely one of the softest feeling sets of all time....and they have the elusive design of constant offset, which I love. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they aren't more sets designed with constant offset.

If you would ever be open to using iron head covers, this is a set to do it with

I can't wait to experience that feeling myself.

Never had or seen a set with constant offset, seems like someone should back engineer these irons and make a 2017 version.

But a new to me set that already has these features for a $100 bucks is priceless.

Got me a few sets of iron covers [in a drawer somewhere] i might have to pull out. Seen some nasty dings on most sets on the ebay. Got to keep the precious pretty.

That's a great deal for $100! Those irons are getting harder and harder to find. I have a set of the Black Dots and a set of the Red Dot Midsize. I both got those sets for a steal (I paid $40 CDN for a 3-PW set of the Red Dots!). They are very soft feeling irons and are very susceptible to bag chatter since they're cast in Nickel with a chrome layer. Since they are so soft, any clubmaker can bend them to your preferred lie and loft with no issues.

I don't know why the major OEMs (or even the smaller ones) don't make nickel based irons anymore. From my recollection, the last OEM that made nickel based irons where the well received 2002 Maxfli A10s.

I was very happy to find a nice set for that price. You got a heck of a deal yourself. These will be my first nickel based irons, can't wait to try em.

Thanks. The Black Dots are tour proven. Before he went crazy, Robert Allenby won all of his PGA Tour wins with those clubs and were in Ian Woosnam's bag at the 2001 British Open where he was in contention at one point (too bad he was docked 2 strokes because he had an extra driver in his bag).

Heaps of Aussies had the revos back in the day. Ogilvy was playing them before his Cobras.

They are definitely one of the softest feeling sets of all time....and they have the elusive design of constant offset, which I love. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they aren't more sets designed with constant offset.

If you would ever be open to using iron head covers, this is a set to do it with

Never had or seen a set with constant offset, seems like someone should back engineer these irons and make a 2017 version.

But a new to me set that already has these features for a $100 bucks is priceless.

Got me a few sets of iron covers [in a drawer somewhere] i might have to pull out. Seen some nasty dings on most sets on the ebay. Got to keep the precious pretty.

If you can at all avoid it,...do not hit them off hard pan where some 'gravel' might be present

Really nice clubs. Knife-edge thin top line behind the ball, longer blade length than most player's clubs, no offset. More forgiving than they look, but not game improvement clubs. Super soft. Parallel heads. My set has S TX-90's with black ferrules with a chrome ring.

There's a minimalist beauty to them. Simple cavity back, pure metal, no plastic badges or weird colors. Just a golf club.

I still play them from time to time.

If you can at all avoid it,...do not hit them off hard pan where some 'gravel' might be present

I have been very lucky where i play and have only damaged a club at a local new driving range [rock central]

The damage I've seen on some on line sets looks like they are very susceptible to gravel damage. Appreciate the tip. Thanks.

Really nice clubs. Knife-edge thin top line behind the ball, longer blade length than most player's clubs, no offset. More forgiving than they look, but not game improvement clubs. Super soft. Parallel heads. My set has S TX-90's with black ferrules with a chrome ring.

There's a minimalist beauty to them. Simple cavity back, pure metal, no plastic badges or weird colors. Just a golf club.

I still play them from time to time.

Excellent description Dustdevil, good thing the guy who sold me my set hadn't read your review he would have doubled his price. lol. Sounds like a nice set u have there. I like subtle touches like the chrome ringed ferrule. What kind of grips?

• 1 month later...

I still have a set of these 3-SW. Actually trying to sell them on Craigslist as we speak. Loved them and played them for several years till I took some time off and getting back into golf again last year I have decided to go to a game improvement Iron now.

You'll regret selling them ?

Seemore mFGP2 

I had 2 sets that I got from a buddy, and one I bought last year

I'ved games them almost 10 years

I use iron covers to protect them

Cut set number 2 down half inch and lead taped the heads, and this will be season 2 with them

Set 1 has gone to my brother

Will play these until I decide to get an iron fitting done (not a big rush) to get some wishon 565mc's

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I still have mine, currently checking of a bucket list item gaming 690mb for a season, but I'll never sell my Blacks

Seemore mFGP2