Are we under-estimating Spieth's "A" game?

Lacey Underall

90% of the boys out there have awesome "A" games. Every year some guy I never heard of shoots in the 60s in one of the US Open rounds. The defining issue is how often, and when they can summon it.

As a JS fan, I am more concerned about how HE feels about his A game. I think it affected him when he played his A game and couldn't beat Day in the PGA 2 years ago. The challenge is for him to not screw around with his game too much, trying to beat a guy like Day, or DJ if THEY happen to be on their A games.

Golf does not allow for you to be invincible. Trying to change what has made you successful is what can ruin a good game. Ask Tiger.

So the question to me is not if WE underestimate his "A" game, but if he does.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jordan is superb with 9 wins after 100 starts but Tiger had 28 wins after 100 starts. Jordan is an amazing talent but I think we forget how unworldly Tiger Woods was.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I think we are all underestimating Jordans ability to get it done without his A game, he has a knack for scoring that is unbelievable, when people say his game is boring, it shows that he keeps his game in a small range good to bad that allows him to have a chance to win every week. Other guys win with their A game because the driver that was hooking last week is finding the fairway this week. Jordan's consistency is by far his most impressive trait.

I think we are all underestimating Jordans ability to get it done without his A game, he has a knack for scoring that is unbelievable, when people say his game is boring, it shows that he keeps his game in a small range good to bad that allows him to have a chance to win every week. Other guys win with their A game because the driver that was hooking last week is finding the fairway this week. Jordan's consistency is by far his most impressive trait.

I agree. I think many golfers lose what consistency they have by trying to hit it long like the longest guys, but there's a reason why Bubba doesn't win every week.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Here is the best example i can think of. Jordan Spieth is the San Francisco Giants of golf. They don't hit a ton of homeruns (but more than they get credit for) and they don't score the most runs. But pitch the lights out and play fundamental, smart ball. It's not exciting to the "casual" (dare i say ignorant) fan but it gets the job done consistently.

Some top pro's are deadly when the putter works, like Sergio. Stenson used to be the same but his putter play has stabilized. Then, there are guys who are deadly on swing-on weeks, and Spieth seems to be like that. His swing might stabilize over the years. Remember that Stenson was totally wayward with his swing for a lot of years at the beginning of the century. But guys whos putting is strong never seem to loose that ability. They remain good putters year in and year out. I expect Spieth to putt well in the year 2047, and that will always, I suppose, be his best weapon.

Otherwise, what Spieth might lack in lenght he compensates with the ability to win, when a win is at hand. He's not a second place collector.

Any comparisons to Tiger in the beginning of his career are unfair.

This current crop of many "good" players who are occasionally "great" will be interesting to hardcore niche golf fans but I dont see it appealing to the masses and the general sports fan. I see golf retreating back into a niche sport as it was pre Tiger

I agree only because it has had that effect on me already. I am finding myself less and less interested in watching golf actually anymore. I should be enjoying the more randomness of each event it could be anyone's, but I am not. One week it is Reed making a run, next Jason, DJ, so on. Throw in a run by someone outside of top 10 once in while too. I just seem only interested watching the Major's, Player's and FedEx stuff now where the whole top 50 are all there. I guess golf was much more interesting when there was the dominate force in the field and I had to tune in to watch him possibly add to his legacy and how he was going to go about doing it.

Anyway, yes Jordan. The thing about him, to me, is I'm in awe of how the game has seemingly become all about the big-stick and constant barrage of announcers being "wowed" every darn time Rory/DJ/Etc hit a tee shot but here is Jordan just grinding along and doing his thing. He is literally averaging 111 mph swing speed yet pulls away in events just playing GOLF the way it is meant to be played... Intelligently planning his way around a course, executing a pre-determined plan and dropping putts. Fun to watch, especially if when he gets paired up with the big guns. I want to see him paired up with Bubba on a Sunday. I'd tune in for that.

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

I'll take my chances putting it like Jordan every day of the week, and twice on Sunday, over averaging 315 off the tee and putting average.

The other thing to remember is that NOBODY has their "A-game" regularly. Hell, it's hard enough to put two great rounds back to back.....let alone, play with an "A-game" round after round, week after week. So, is it really about the "A-game" or is it more about the ability to win with less than your "A-game?" Most of the guys on tour can wipe the rest of the field with their "A-games" on any given week, but it just doesn't show up very often.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Spieth has a great A game. How won the event with his Saturday putting on the back 9

Reasons why I and others (I am guessing) don't love the guy ..

- power game not up to snuff with other top guys. Everyone loves the LONG ball, not just chicks

- slightly funky swing

- the whole "we" thing

-Loving the long ball and thinking Jordan has a better A game than DJ, Day and Rory are not mutually exclusive

-slightly funky? wha?

-What's wrong with acknowledging that you have a whole team of people supporting you? I think it's cool to show public support for the supporting staff. It's like a running back crediting his offensive line for a great performance.

You don't think his move (chicken wing) if funky Disco Dave?

Maybe just semantics, but calling it funky seems off (although you did say slightly funky, so I'm probably just being pedantic). I'd call Ryan Moore's backswing funky, and I don't think Spieth's is as odd.

It's funny have you guys looked at his move recently thru impact?

Compare it to previous years and he has actually gotten his left arm to be much straighter before, thru, and post impact. He still has his wingy move BUT check it out. It's impressive and I can see his stats improving significantly this year regarding ball striking.

If that trends, look out. Lot of wins coming

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I think his A-game & game in general is seriously underestimated by the public but not by fellow competitors. He has a lot of confidence in himself & the other players know that. I think he's something of a throwback; he seems to be a hyper-competitive type whose parents raised him to be polite & not draw attention to himself. I wish more people in general & athletes in particular were like that. Having a brother who is mentally disabled, I'm pretty sure growing up in a family with a special needs sibling had something to do with his personality as well.

He has sort of a gunslinger vibe to me. He wants nothing more than to beat you & doesn't particularly care how he looks while doing it. He's tough as nails mentally. The meltdown he had on

#12 at The Masters last year would have really damaged a lot of more fragile players; all it did to Spieth was give him a case of the red..s. One things he's not is fragile mentally.

Can he come across as a little nerdy, a little neurotic? Yeah, but I think I'd want him on my side in a knife fight... :yes:

This current crop of many "good" players who are occasionally "great" will be interesting to hardcore niche golf fans but I dont see it appealing to the masses and the general sports fan. I see golf retreating back into a niche sport as it was pre Tiger

It's always been a niche sport and always will. Pre Tiger, during Tiger and Post Tiger.

How can anyone say that setting the tournament birdie record at the masters is boring? And not just the record, he had three more than the next highest (Phil) and four more than Tiger ever had and six more than Jack ever had. Whose "A" game would be better than that?

Here are some interesting rankings of the four guys who finished 1, 2, 4 and 5 in 2016 Strokes Gained Total. 2017 probably has too few events to be important. Clearly, McIlroy's putter is in the toilet.

Spieth reminds me a little of Tom Brady.

Doesn't look like much at first, then you blink and realize you are way behind.

I think the Brady / Spieth comparison is apropos. Neither have an impressive physique with 2% body fat. Neither are terribly impressive athletes. And neither would strike fear in anyone exhibiting impressive amounts of those two characteristics.

But what they have inside driving them is rare in this world and should be respected. It doesn't come along very often.

I think there is no issue with his "game", A, B or C. The issue is with his swing. That seems to be doing good at the moment. The difference between him and, lets say DJ, is not primarly the length, it's the direction. At least last year. Sliced too much. But it seems like he has sorted that out. Maybe the putting lately is not AS deadly as it sometimes is. Not everything from 20 feet seems to go in.

But no doubt, a guy that wins 2 majors and comes second in the other two in a year has an A game that is not crap.

I think there is no issue with his "game", A, B or C. The issue is with his swing. That seems to be doing good at the moment. The difference between him and, lets say DJ, is not primarly the length, it's the direction. At least last year. Sliced too much. But it seems like he has sorted that out. Maybe the putting lately is not AS deadly as it sometimes is. Not everything from 20 feet seems to go in.

But no doubt, a guy that wins 2 majors and comes second in the other two in a year has an A game that is not crap.

Jordan is the best A game player out there atm.

his swing mechanics are crap but still he can do things well but when he is off as he was in the Masters all 4 days mind you he almost rolled it in in spite of crapping on every swing.

he has the edge man vs man against anyone out there, period.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

The problem is Rory is not s very good putter. He overpowers courses but can't complete the deal on the greens. That is why he will never approach Tigers winning percentage. When he has the rare good putting tournament he wins by double digits. A Rory game with Jordan's wedge and putting would indeed be Tiger in his prime like, but alas neither will come close to tigers career. Possibly their combined career won't match Tigers. Yes Jordan is close with his under 24 victories but his swing is too flawed (not distance) to hold up for decades. Not to mention his obvious OCD behavior before each shot. In some ways as annoying as Sergio's regripping days.

But guys whos putting is strong never seem to loose that ability. They remain good putters year in and year out. I expect Spieth to putt well in the year 2047, and that will always, I suppose, be his best weapon.

No guarantee of that. Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson, and Tiger Woods are examples of all-time great players who were incredible putters until they reached around age 35 and it's like they ran into a brick wall. The putts that went in all the time for them in the past stopped going in.

It's probably been said multiple times however the better question is "Are people underestimating Jordon's B & C games?"

Have a nice day/evening Ladies & Gents?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

But guys whos putting is strong never seem to loose that ability. They remain good putters year in and year out. I expect Spieth to putt well in the year 2047, and that will always, I suppose, be his best weapon.

No guarantee of that. Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson, and Tiger Woods are examples of all-time great players who were incredible putters until they reached around age 35 and it's like they ran into a brick wall. The putts that went in all the time for them in the past stopped going in.

You can add Hogan & Sam to that list and Sam and Pete believed that the more successful and the greater the number of high stress putts one makes on the front end and middle of their career, the greater the chance that their putting will suffer on the back end because inititially the sense of feel that naturally declines over time and with age begins to occur and the nerves begin to slide and then the mental deterioration kicks in because they are used to "willing" the putt into the hole and no matter how hard they try or what they try, that often doesn't happen.

Nice post ?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I think 99 percent of the pros on tour would love 9 wins and 2 majors at the age of 23 even of it means there follow through looks like a chicken having a seizure.

In the entire history of the PGA Tour only 121 golfers have 9 or more wins. Only 11 active golfers have more than 9 PGA Tour wins.

Great point! Interesting that none of those 121 golfers did so by the same age as Spieth.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/inside-the-numbers-nobody-has-won-more-before-age-23-than-jordan-spieth/

Part of it is probably because he doesnt hit the ball that far, especially for his size. Personally I'd rather watch somebody putt lights out like he does. I think he only had 22 putts on Saturday. I havent been the biggest proponent of Jordan, but that kind of changed last week. I loved when he called out the older autograph hunters.

It's funny how quickly people dismiss his 'a' game or try to bury him when Spieth, among all the other top ranked players, is the most similar to the average joe. We don't all have the ability to generate crazy clubhead speed and bomb it 330. Spieth does it through solid play and insane putting / short game. He should inspire us.

Spieth reminds me a little of Tom Brady.

Doesn't look like much at first, then you blink and realize you are way behind.

Hmmm, can Jordan rally? He's fantastic when in the lead after 54 holes, but has he chased down a leader in the final round when trailing by a large margin?

Unfortunately, the Atlanta Falcons Greg Norman doesn't compete anymore.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Rory, DJ and Day all would trade putting strokes with Jordan.

Rory tried lol .....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock