2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Epic driver Carbon fiber crown durability in general.

ccn

Holy smokes I broke the crown on my epic. I was hitting balls in my house and had my bag behind me and hit my club on the backswing. I did not think much of it because it was not that hard and something I have done before with other drivers. I set the club down at address and the clear coat chipped out and some of the carbon fiber caved in a little. It's small 1/8" wide by 3/4" long but looks awful. It can probably be fixed with a touch of black epoxy. But holy smokes are these carbon fiber tops this fragile I really can't believe the damage such a small hit caused. If you slam a club in the bag after a bad hit, like some of my short fused friends you might end up with a crater. I am really bummed. Has anyone else experienced this, and how has the top of peoples m1 and m2 clubs held up. Make a great driver that is as fragile as an Easter egg, exploit golf wrxers that must look at perfection at address, hum? More marketing genius, but I do love this driver. I hope the sub zero head I picked up on here yesterday performs better for me. I will be interested to hear of any other issues. Guess I will try not to be an idiot in the future.

I'd ring Callaway, from what you did I'd expect a nasty scratch but not a dint.

What about if you're in a cart going over bumps? Those clubs get flung around a bit and the head cover isn't like the old style where there is some foam to protect from impacts.

Ya need to be more mindful for sure. I am usually pretty good about keeping my clubs in good shape. Only one m2 guy posted but sounded like he hit the crown pretty hard against a wedge.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carbon fiber is incredibly strong yet fragile at the same time

EX F1 suspension perfectly fine under full load on a smooth track, off track into the kerbs and boom complete failure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiE6r-VoQtc

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I changed the title on this since some people think I am fishing for a new driver. I love this driver sound, feel, ball speed. Just want to know if the crown is damaged easily due to the thickness of the carbon fiber. Money is not the issue just trying to gather some info. My attempt at sarcasm and humor has offended a select few, most have added some helpful dialogue.

"The triaxial carbon material is 65 percent lighter than titanium and 35 percent thinner than forged composite. At 9.7 grams, the GBB Epic crown is the lightest ever produced for a Callaway driver. "

Bottom line, it's a PAPER thin piece of triaxial carbon fiber. It you hit it against something hard, it certainly has a chance of denting/breaking.

Come with the territory with any carbon fiber driver, TaylorMade M, Callaway Epic, etc.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

EX F1 suspension perfectly fine under full load on a smooth track, off track into the kerbs and boom complete failure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiE6r-VoQtc

Great stuff. Love all the things you post on here in general. Makes since not a big force hitting the bag but the wrong force for the carbon fiber to withstand the impact. Made me think of the movie Rush watching the clips. Thanks

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1384424-m1-heads-cracking/ apparently they've gone too lightweight for the massive hitters on GolfWRX...

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Great stuff. Love all the things you post on here in general. Makes since not a big force hitting the bag but the wrong force for the carbon fiber to withstand the impact. Made me think of the movie Rush watching the clips. Thanks

Thank you and good movie not to go way off topic but Grand Prix is great too

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I changed the title on this since some people think I am fishing for a new driver. I love this driver sound, feel, ball speed. Just want to know if the crown is damaged easily due to the thickness of the carbon fiber. Money is not the issue just trying to gather some info. My attempt at sarcasm and humor has offended a select few, most have added some helpful dialogue.

Yes carbon that light and thin is going to be extremely fragile to any significant contact. I don't think you were looking for a free driver fwiw. I do think that callaways service may surprise you. If you call them and be 100% honest they may very well send you a new driver.

Before i get flamed for that if the OP does call and is completely honest with how and what happened and callaway makes their own decision to replace i think that's their call. Caveat being honest with them. Worst they can say is no. I don't support lying about how it happened just to get a free replacement

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

So, just finished talking with another buddy that is an Asst. Manager at a Dicks and also is a big time golfer, he told me same story I posted earlier....he was hitting a demo Epic (regular version) and the top of the club exploded off. And just so you know he's a legitimate scratch to 2 handicap that hits it 300 yds (so wasn't from hitting on top). He said there's been a few stores that he knows about that have had problems with the regular version doing this, but not the subzero.

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

Issues seen at the big box level for both Epic drivers,

1) Top of weight screws on SZ model breaking off while leaving the threaded post in the hole - no particular pattern ( front of back / light or heavy ) happens to both,

2) Exploded top crown and separation of crown from face

3) Bottom carbon fiber "pie" pieces becoming loose / broken

As busy as the big box stores are when a new product hits the shelves, it seems EVERY driver regardless of manufacturer will have issues.

For example;

Nike Covert - broken plastic structure in the cavity

SLDR - foil nameplate detaching or deforming

Ping Adjustable Drivers - shaft failure due to sleeve size

Wilson - dents

Titleist - cracked faces on scoring lines or internal rattles

The manufacturers do a great job to warranty replace defective product asap but with all the buzz Epic has going and now the issues are showing up, it's no wonder they have back order status on this new line. Hopefully the wait is due to the R&D team resolving the issues with a cure.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

1) Top of weight screws on SZ model breaking off while leaving the threaded post in the hole - no particular pattern ( front of back / light or heavy ) happens to both,

As busy as the big box stores are when a new product hits the shelves, it seems EVERY driver regardless of manufacturer will have issues.

For example;

Wilson - dents

The manufacturers do a great job to warranty replace defective product asap but with all the buzz Epic has going and now the issues are showing up, it's no wonder they have back order status on this new line. Hopefully the wait is due to the R&D team resolving the issues with a cure.

We have had none of those issues with the Epic in our store (14 sold and dozens of demos) and I've heard of nothing similar from our other 47 locations. Would you happen to work for Taylor Made? :taunt:

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

For example;

Wilson - dents

We have had none of those issues with the Epic in our store (14 sold and dozens of demos) and I've heard of nothing similar from our other 47 locations. Would you happen to work for Taylor Made? :taunt:

Bet so, which is why neglected to mention the M1 cracking thread, http://www.golfwrx.c...s-cracking/Â Â

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I do not work for TMAG, although I play most of the product. I didn't list the M1 2016 issue because it is well known.

I work as a fitter / repair tech in the industry. I did come into work today to see that Callaway is sending us replacement 12g weights for all of the Epic SZ - so the problem does exist.

Did not get any communication yet but I'm sure it will follow with the shipment.

CC POST SCREW HD WT M6 TUNGSTEN BLK 12G (3016002 )
3/2/2017

In Stock

$0.00

$0.00

In Process

N/A

M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0

So did anyone else get the letter from

Callaway today? Replacement weights

are on the way which is a very quick response

to a known issue. Very good CS!

M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0

Here is the letter;

March 2017

Dear Callaway Custom Fitting Account:

We've had a small number of reported incidents of breakage of the 12 gram weight screw in the Epic Sub Zero driver heads. Our quality team has been able to isolate the issue and has quickly worked on a resolution.

Due to a higher volume of usage in fitting cart heads, you will be receiving 3 replacement 12 gram screws for your 3 Epic Sub Zero fit cart driver heads in the next 3-5 business days. Please be sure you swap out these new screws and dispose of the original ones.

We greatly appreciate your support of Callaway Golf and our custom fitting programs and wish you continued success this year.

Sincerely,

Callaway Golf Custom Fitting

M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0

Maybe I missed it but is there any mention of accidental damage having affect on the performance of the driver? Did the damage get worse when you continued to use the driver?

There are too many post like this freaking out over cosmetic damage. Do we need members to post everytime they get a paint nik in their driver? I get that manufacturers will take care of customers but if we really wanted cosmetic perfection then you should be ok paying $1000 for a club. I for one would rather have driver that is functionally something me and cosmetically fragile or imperfect. Not the other way around. Yes I'm guilty of jumping the gun too on little things but it baffles me when people freak out about the first little scratch on your new car. Get out and play the club.

I'm not quite sure how this is a driver build quality issue?

You hit your bag with a part of the club that typically isn't making contact with anything. Sucks that it happened but how is this Callaway's fault or issue?

Um did you take the time to read my post and the question mark. You are obviously a callaway fan boy based on your bag. I said I loved the driver, simply wondered if people had experienced the same issue with realitively light contact. At least others gave some constructive feedback.

i read it and agree with him... you cant blame callaway because you parked your bag too close... as for the slamming clubs in after a bad driver... thats on YOU too... although i fail to seehow you could make contact doing that seeing as how driver is much longer than anything else... whats next ? asking if its calalways fault if you leave the headcover off and driver around and its chipped up? come on ... I F-up sometimes too ...but i cant in good conscience blame the manufacturer ...example a 3 iron "slipped" from my grasp and nearly broke off my titleist stand bags leg... i didnt call titleist and blame them.. i bent it back straight and now i have a janky legged bag... which reminds me now to not be an idiot...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Guys

Yes carbon that light and thin is going to be extremely fragile to any significant contact. I don't think you were looking for a free driver fwiw. I do think that callaways service may surprise you. If you call them and be 100% honest they may very well send you a new driver.

Before i get flamed for that if the OP does call and is completely honest with how and what happened and callaway makes their own decision to replace i think that's their call. Caveat being honest with them. Worst they can say is no. I don't support lying about how it happened just to get a free replacement

Really funny how many people get so fired up when I posted this, but mostly good info. From all the posts it looks like there may be some issues with the weights, 12 gram, and maybe some glue issues, but overall no big issues. So I took a small amount of black epoxy and did my own bondo job. When you hold it close you can see the glue but at address you notice nothing.

And for anyone that cares, the regular head will be my gamer, the one I did some body work on. I put a xcalibur 7.5 pro x-flex shaft in it and it just goes. Playing at 44.25". Really impressed with xcaliber shaft never tried one but for 50.00 bucks holy smokes. Also no arguing over the guality of callaway customer service, I am sure they would have replaced it, but no way when it was my fault.

• 3 years later...

Ferrule on my GBB Epic loose as well. Contrary to the "then pay $1000 for a club if you want the cosmetics to look/behave right"; I'd like to think the $4-500 for the club should suffice for receiving a golf club that doesn't have pieces breaking apart.

Such a foolish comment. If appearance of clubs makes no difference & is irrelevant, then why do all clubs look different, why different shaft colors, grip colors, etc.

Callaway is profiting many many millions from these clubs. How bout splurging a bit to assemble a club that doesn't continue breaking off/loose $1 plastic pieces...