Rants and Raves...

When in 'strange lands' or even the strange parts of my land I ask for 'Local, non industrialised beer, what do you recommend?'

Oddly, one of the guys in our seniors group is ex Whitbread board and he heard me do my rant request and asked 'what's wrong with Whitbread?' Lol, eyebrow scraping off the ceiling moment

My dad worked at Flowers brewery in Stratford-upon-Avon,the excellence of the beer was down to the quality of the water used which was from an artesian well,the Flowers family sold out to Whitbreads who promptly closed it down and shifted production to Cheltenham maintaining usage of the Flowers brand even though the product was nowhere near as good.

THAT'S what's wrong with Whitbreads.

Ah, Flowers Keggyflade, Whitbread's revolting anti-beer contribution, did help to bring about CAMERA so not all bad.

Car Park Members - Members who turn up at the club, get changed into their shoes in the car park, go out and play a round, usually with the same set of like-minded friends each week, return to the car park and change shoes after the round and then head straight out the gates.

There are arguments that they're not supporting the club by using (and paying for) the facilities/bar and not integrating with the rest of the membership as some would expect them to.

My opinion; it takes all sorts to make this world and if some don't want to show their face in the clubhouse and are happy with their smaller circle of friends then that's their choice. Not everybody likes the club environment and as long as the members are paying their membership fees the same as everybody else then it's up to them how they use their membership.

If the club wants to get more members spending money in the clubhouse then they need to make it more attractive to all.

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

I'm going to post up a "rave" for single length clubs.

I spotted a mint set of 4-SW Tom Wishon Sterlings on eBay last week, and curiousity piqued by Bryson Dechambeau's ascent to world #5 I shelled out the £250 it took to get the deal done. They arrived last Friday, and I stood them up against the wall all weekend, wondering why I might want to stick them in the bag when I have 45 odd sets of wonderful shiny chrome blades to choose from ...

Monday at 3pm, and I thought, sod it, let's go and hit them, so went out and played 12 holes ... in 1-under (!!!) ... with 9 GIR and the longest length putt on those 9 greens about 20 feet and most 6-12 feet. It was like the ball was on the end of a string. Unbelievably accurate and easy to hit. I was laughing by the end of the round as yet another approach shot fizzed in at the stick.

Played them in the competition today, in filthy weather and high winds, and damn nearly shot handicap - 2 birdies 7 pars being the highlight. Placed second overall.

The irons are all built on an 8-iron at 36.5". The shafts are FST-90, which is a cheap component "equivalent" of a KBS Tour 90 I am told. Really quite excited about this set ... huge fun to line up on a 190 yard par-3 with this silly little iron (the 4-iron) and then smack it pin high on the fly. Playing partners were as amused and intrigued as I was ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Car Park Members - Members who turn up at the club, get changed into their shoes in the car park, go out and play a round, usually with the same set of like-minded friends each week, return to the car park and change shoes after the round and then head straight out the gates.

There are arguments that they're not supporting the club by using (and paying for) the facilities/bar and not integrating with the rest of the membership as some would expect them to.

My opinion; it takes all sorts to make this world and if some don't want to show their face in the clubhouse and are happy with their smaller circle of friends then that's their choice. Not everybody likes the club environment and as long as the members are paying their membership fees the same as everybody else then it's up to them how they use their membership.

If the club wants to get more members spending money in the clubhouse then they need to make it more attractive to all.

Well that's me, to an extent. If I've played with people I don't know very well, I'll generally head into the clubhouse for a coffee with them afterwards. But I play a regular 2-ball and very often we head off elsewhere for post-round refreshments. It's not a members' club though, but a privately-owned facility which really wants pay-to-play business and barely tolerates the membership side of things. So no real incentive to support the "hospitality" side.

Brave man and great fun.

Are you going to be carrying out any 'adjustments' to a set of Stewart hickories any time soon?

Logical conclusion n'est pas. All you need is a hacksaw and a couple of pounds of lead tape :lol:

Must admit this has crossed my mind more than twice :) Getting the "long" irons to launch might be the difficult bit ! A few nice heavy heads (lofts 25,35,45,55 for sake of argument) that would play at C7+ if cut to Spade Mashie length would be an interesting experiment.

Brave man and great fun.

Are you going to be carrying out any 'adjustments' to a set of Stewart hickories any time soon?

Logical conclusion n'est pas. All you need is a hacksaw and a couple of pounds of lead tape :lol:

Must admit this has crossed my mind more than twice :) Getting the "long" irons to launch might be the difficult bit ! A few nice heavy heads (lofts 25,35,45,55 for sake of argument) that would play at C7+ if cut to Spade Mashie length would be an interesting experiment.

You have my attention.

What about shafts, would you need the shafts of the longer irons beefing up?

How does it work on the Sterlings?

Car Park Members. Discuss.

Kind of a shame when some clubs have really nice and welcoming facilities.

I played a walking golfers outing at a nice old club in Lexington and it was that type of club. When we arrived the parking lot was full as was the course. When we finished our round at 3:00 or so it was devoid of anyone but our 12 or so in the group. Shame as they had a nice bar with tvs and fair food. Beer was cold. Stories were told. A very comfortable setting with a nice patio as well.

Our club is very friendly. Has decent food, members discount on all drinks, good coffee, UHD TVs with all the sports channels....and to be fair a very large regular playing membership...but the worst are the car park members who turn up at 945am when the last tee of for the medal is 1030am and twine about the place being busy and having too many competitions. What is weird that if some of them do play in a comp, and win a prize, is that they don't turn up to the presentation or even use the credit in the shop.....still "nowt stranger than folks..."

And then you have the other end of the spectrum viz. the crew that race to get round in 2 1/2 hours,impatient to get on,walk in front and don't wait for the shot to be played,all so that they can get to the bar quicker and start swilling pints.

I've also noticed that the amount being spent also affects rules and dress code,last summer I was at the point of asking a visitor to remove his cap in the bar when I was shushed by the steward (a committee member to boot) on the grounds that he'd just bought a round for £20.

Car Park Members = Trunk Slammers. That's the term me and my golf buddies have always used.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

The Cult of YouTube.

Lack of television due to intermittent signal failure has led me to watch a considerable amount on YouTube,some of it like live streaming of LET and LPGA highlights (the guy posting entire rounds has been closed down) are excellent and worthwhile viewing but what I cannot understand is the crass,egotistical bragadoccio of some of the darlings of YouTube who swamp it with masses of material of dubious value.

Worst offenders,Shiels,Finch and Crossfield.

Shiels has managed to insinuate himself into quite a high profile situation based on....well,I'm still trying to figure that one out,it's certainly not his ability to play golf,I doubt that he's shot level par and has publicly scored +10 in Open qualifying at regional level and +41 for three rounds in a pro-am.

He has taught Rob Potter who does mid-handicapper testing,owner of a £400 custom golf bag and who plays his version of 'army golf'.

So,teaching...at £70 a lesson?

Finch and his mate Fryer (would probably do better working in a chippy) think they are the funniest men on YouTube,not only are they incredibly unfunny but in a video with Carly Booth were like two dogs sniffing round a b****...video should have been entitled 'Two Muppets and a Moppet'.

Finchy is a drainer to watch,all the tour-pro moves,checking stance,practice swing and routine (yawn)then hits a block into the trees....

Crossfield is a toxic personality,a user and abuser who seems to be happiest when the centre of attention and dishing out belittling comments to Lockey who I believe is employed by Crossfield.

Have you ever seen a pro run out of golf balls filming a vlog? You can see it on that channel,the standard of golf is abysmal.

James Robinson is the latest,claims that Huddersfield golf club is 'the home of Yorkshire golf'(really? Moortown,Ganton,Fulford?) and recently in his greatest myths of golf declared that a) plumb-bob putting does not work and b) expensive equipment is best.

I don't know who the people are that subscribe to these channels and make the absurd comments that appear,I'm guessing that a large number don't even play golf and tune in as part of the 'social media' thing that has taken over.

Shiels plays crap and they comment on how good the video was,'Thanks Rick!'....Uh?

Crossfield has his own vocabulary which his followers try to emulate,'Rinky Dink' rescue club and the inevitable 'Mornin' y'all' and 'bruh'.

I even unsubscribed to Golf Vlogs UK after seeing them in Spain doing a football fan chant,I could just imagine the slurred 'I f'kin luv you mate' conversations,I suppose I feel a bit like Groucho when it comes to 'clubs' like that although I believe that Liam Harrison is a genuine and naturally funny bloke who does something entertaining and original on his channel,I hope it stays the same.

On a positive note there's Alastair Davies golf tuition,LPGA and LET

Please don't comment below.....LOL

No,I mean don't say 'Don't watch it!' because I have stopped,unlike my ranting.

I could only bear to watch for 90 seconds.....

Your thoughts?

I think that in 90 seconds your vocabulary was probably expanded somewhat and your ears would have started to bleed!

(Well, when I say expanded vocabulary - what I really mean is the variety of accents, emphases and pronunciations that can be applied to 4-letter words beginning with "F").

I could only bear to watch for 90 seconds.....

Your thoughts?

I think that in 90 seconds your vocabulary was probably expanded somewhat and your ears would have started to bleed!

(Well, when I say expanded vocabulary - what I really mean is the variety of accents, emphases and pronunciations that can be applied to 4-letter words beginning with "F").

I'm not sure 90 seconds is sufficient to judge him. Hasn't he got some longer videos? ;)

His use of F'in everything is for effect and is really synthetic swearing unlike Top Bloke golf videos who gives it the proper job while he slags off Crossy.

He can be a bit wearing but is a brilliant musician and singer and makes me laugh when he rants.

Quick edit; Topbloke Golf has a new video in YouTube,censored as the original was taken down but still very funny.

Talking of YouTube stuff, I've been enjoying this guy's videos, a strange blend of crazy enthusiasm and reverence for old gear but I like it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5cPxPsWnWBguCZmZAZFVVw

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Talking of YouTube stuff, I've been enjoying this guy's videos, a strange blend of crazy enthusiasm and reverence for old gear but I like it.

https://www.youtube....nWBguCZmZAZFVVw

Some nice stuff but he's a bit clueless,MP-32 the most beautiful irons EVER.....don't think so.

Further to my YouTube rant I did forget one,Mr Teeuplo aka The Average Golfer who has played off different handicaps (8-10) and I don't think has ever played to his number on videos I've watched,he does a few promo's like a recent one for SD golf balls which suggested that they were cheap compared to major brands BUT are only available via mail order which means an automatic £5 delivery,the manufacturers also state that their 'premium' balls were only good for a couple of rounds!

He was asked where he bought them and replied that he'd bought them online which was puzzling because the balls he 'tested' were not even on the SD website!?

I hope you have a look at Top Bloke's video,the Robin Matthews Williams rant is a PROPER rant,a verbal atomic explosion of a rant directed at Crossy.

That's a good watch. Thanks for posting up Jigs. I have zero inclination to watch some "bloke" (pick your culprit) going on about some new fangled implement(s). Meaningless chatter that has no relevancy. But someone waxing about Redlines, that's interesting.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

The Cult of YouTube.

I lost a whole afternoon once watching "Lessons with the Buttsy" ... strangely compelling ... I think it's the elevator music he uses on his soundtrack :)

Here's the episode he did with Paige Spiranac

The Cult of YouTube.

Lack of television due to intermittent signal failure has led me to watch a considerable amount on YouTube,some of it like live streaming of LET and LPGA highlights (the guy posting entire rounds has been closed down) are excellent and worthwhile viewing but what I cannot understand is the crass,egotistical bragadoccio of some of the darlings of YouTube who swamp it with masses of material of dubious value.

Worst offenders,Shiels,Finch and Crossfield.

Shiels has managed to insinuate himself into quite a high profile situation based on....well,I'm still trying to figure that one out,it's certainly not his ability to play golf,I doubt that he's shot level par and has publicly scored +10 in Open qualifying at regional level and +41 for three rounds in a pro-am.

He has taught Rob Potter who does mid-handicapper testing,owner of a £400 custom golf bag and who plays his version of 'army golf'.

So,teaching...at £70 a lesson?

Finch and his mate Fryer (would probably do better working in a chippy) think they are the funniest men on YouTube,not only are they incredibly unfunny but in a video with Carly Booth were like two dogs sniffing round a b****...video should have been entitled 'Two Muppets and a Moppet'.

Finchy is a drainer to watch,all the tour-pro moves,checking stance,practice swing and routine (yawn)then hits a block into the trees....

Crossfield is a toxic personality,a user and abuser who seems to be happiest when the centre of attention and dishing out belittling comments to Lockey who I believe is employed by Crossfield.

Have you ever seen a pro run out of golf balls filming a vlog? You can see it on that channel,the standard of golf is abysmal.

James Robinson is the latest,claims that Huddersfield golf club is 'the home of Yorkshire golf'(really? Moortown,Ganton,Fulford?) and recently in his greatest myths of golf declared that a) plumb-bob putting does not work and b) expensive equipment is best.

I don't know who the people are that subscribe to these channels and make the absurd comments that appear,I'm guessing that a large number don't even play golf and tune in as part of the 'social media' thing that has taken over.

Shiels plays crap and they comment on how good the video was,'Thanks Rick!'....Uh?

Crossfield has his own vocabulary which his followers try to emulate,'Rinky Dink' rescue club and the inevitable 'Mornin' y'all' and 'bruh'.

I even unsubscribed to Golf Vlogs UK after seeing them in Spain doing a football fan chant,I could just imagine the slurred 'I f'kin luv you mate' conversations,I suppose I feel a bit like Groucho when it comes to 'clubs' like that although I believe that Liam Harrison is a genuine and naturally funny bloke who does something entertaining and original on his channel,I hope it stays the same.

On a positive note there's Alastair Davies golf tuition,LPGA and LET

Please don't comment below.....LOL

No,I mean don't say 'Don't watch it!' because I have stopped,unlike my ranting.

LOL I did not start after reading your post--- Your "report" was good enough for me-------

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I had known this quote for awhile .

Got refreshed because the passing of George H.W. Bush. A golfer, President and a great human being.

“Speed may be the only thing I’m known for on the golf course,” Bush told the authors of My Best Day in Golf: Celebrity Stories of the Game They Love. “My father, Prescott Bush, was a fabulous golfer. … He was the one who instilled the value of fast play in me, and in my son as well. In fact, he once told George W., ‘Son, looking at your swing, you’re probably not going to be a great golfer, so make sure you play fast.’ ”

That's a good watch. Thanks for posting up Jigs. I have zero inclination to watch some "bloke" (pick your culprit) going on about some new fangled implement(s). Meaningless chatter that has no relevancy. But someone waxing about Redlines, that's interesting.

Interesting channel. I watched a few of the episodes. He certainly is enthusiastic if not a bit annoying with his shtick.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa