2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Effective Immediately, Rules Change to Limit Video Review

quix24

I've seen the footage repeatedly and it completely looked to me like she was going to tap it in and then decided to mark it instead, got rushed and didn't get it back to the same spot in her hurry to get the putt in the hole. Definitely missed the spot and deserved the penalty but calling her a cheater is something that only would happen on the internet.

exactly.... agree 100% ... and will add that the subsequent 2 stroke addition for incorrect card will go down in my book as one of the great examples of the rules not working for fairness when it all boiled down... I dont care what anyone says the person who eventually received that trophy thinks in the back of her mind " ive got to win another major or else ill have to live the rest of my life knowing that the one i have i didnt really win"...( assuming that lady was a first time winner i csnt recall) ...... No way she feels the same about it as one would if you won going away wth no contraversy...

Oh, puleez. Lexi had a four stroke lead with 6 holes to go. Anything could have happened. The history of golf is loaded with meltdowns worse than that. Trust me, they weren't engraving Lexi's name on the trophy when she was on the 11th hole.

well i think we all saw what could and would have happened.. it took a 4 stroke penalty to get her into a playoff..... so the field got 4 strokes of help to get even with her in 6 holes.... lol and thats after the gut punch of a penalty... there goes the " we dont know what would have happened theory".... I can tell you she wins by 4 with no penalty and she wins by 2 without the incorrect card addition.... OR if we are playing alternate facts.... Maybe she wins by 5 or 6 with no penalty if she doesnt have the burden of the ruling mid round on sunday????

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Razorbacks football fan since I was in diapers and have been trying to correct officials' missed calls my whole life. Back in the old SWC, friggin Texas refs blew more calls than I can count--now it's the SEC officials cheating for Bama, Florida, and Auburn, aTm (or whoever the Hogs are playing)!!

Why should golf be any different than any other sport?!?! Fans don't call the penalties, nor do they have the eyes and ears of the officials--at least they are not supposed to...

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

In Lexi's case the person spotting the infraction was watching the (delayed) coverage, and spotted the violation. There was no slow motion. No zoom in. He/she caught it, and reported it.

You've mentioned this a couple times. Has this been reported as fact or are you assuming that's how it went down? You know the viewer didn't use slow-mo?

You've also mentioned watching the real-time non-zoomed footage. This footage clearly shows the other two caddies standing in a position where they could have easily seen it happen. Considering their experience, I'd expect both of them to catch something like this. As brought up previously, one of them could have tipped off the emailer. The emailer might not have seen any footage, just was told what to write in the email.

The original feed was not zoomed or slo-mo'd, unlike the Anna Nordqvist incident. 'No idea if the person reporting it replayed it over and over, or slowed it down. Personally, it was easy to spot at full speed, non-zoomed, as the marker was hidden then visible.

In the course of a tournament, there are roughly 12,000 putts taken, and more than half involve marking a ball. Are you suggesting that the caddies scrutinize each and every marking? I highly doubt it.

You didn't answer the initial question.

Yes, it's easier to spot after you know what to look for. Are you saying you saw it immediately, on Saturday?

No, I don't think they scrutinize every mark, but based on where they were standing on the green at the time and the situation, I would expect them to see it. I also think Park saw it.

I don't care what anyone says. Unless you knew to be looking for something, you would have never noticed anything out of the ordinary watching it live in real-time speed.

Wait, didn't they say they wouldn't assess penalties to violations that could only be discerned through high-definition slow-motion video after the whole Tiger "Oscillation in the" Woods episode at the 2013 Bridgestone?

Thats what I asked before!

Indeed you fellas are correct, but that decision applied only to ball at rest or a ball moved (Rule 18 - Ball at Rest Moved)

This allows that same idea to be applied to other situations.

^

Vin "I know it all" dog.

Haha! Thanks. What up, Vin? You keepin it reals? Had like 4 manicotti the mother in law made, baboom, cant move.

Hey, where is kevcarter? Must be on vacation with no internet.

Real as a seal, baby.

I only know that becasue I spend some time in the rules forum, and another poster pointed it out.

Manicotti used to be a Christmas Day tradition for young Vindog. We had a special small cast iron pan for making the shell. Sometimes they would even let me butcher some. I was definitely better with the pizzelle iron.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

In Lexi's case the person spotting the infraction was watching the (delayed) coverage, and spotted the violation. There was no slow motion. No zoom in. He/she caught it, and reported it.

You've mentioned this a couple times. Has this been reported as fact or are you assuming that's how it went down? You know the viewer didn't use slow-mo?

You've also mentioned watching the real-time non-zoomed footage. This footage clearly shows the other two caddies standing in a position where they could have easily seen it happen. Considering their experience, I'd expect both of them to catch something like this. As brought up previously, one of them could have tipped off the emailer. The emailer might not have seen any footage, just was told what to write in the email.

The original feed was not zoomed or slo-mo'd, unlike the Anna Nordqvist incident. 'No idea if the person reporting it replayed it over and over, or slowed it down. Personally, it was easy to spot at full speed, non-zoomed, as the marker was hidden then visible.

In the course of a tournament, there are roughly 12,000 putts taken, and more than half involve marking a ball. Are you suggesting that the caddies scrutinize each and every marking? I highly doubt it.

Yes, it's easier to spot after you know what to look for. Are you saying you saw it immediately, on Saturday?

No, I don't think they scrutinize every mark, but based on where they were standing on the green at the time and the situation, I would expect them to see it. I also think Park saw it.

No, I didn't see it because I was on fast forward at the moment. I time shift the coverage, and fast forward through the boring parts. After she missed the putt 18 inches to the right of the hole, my thumb is hitting FF, as I don't need to watch tap ins. Obviously now I have to watch every single one, as it could be a crucial development in the outcome of the tournament.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I've seen the footage repeatedly and it completely looked to me like she was going to tap it in and then decided to mark it instead, got rushed and didn't get it back to the same spot in her hurry to get the putt in the hole. Definitely missed the spot and deserved the penalty but calling her a cheater is something that only would happen on the internet.

exactly.... agree 100% ... and will add that the subsequent 2 stroke addition for incorrect card will go down in my book as one of the great examples of the rules not working for fairness when it all boiled down... I dont care what anyone says the person who eventually received that trophy thinks in the back of her mind " ive got to win another major or else ill have to live the rest of my life knowing that the one i have i didnt really win"...( assuming that lady was a first time winner i csnt recall) ...... No way she feels the same about it as one would if you won going away wth no contraversy...

Oh, puleez. Lexi had a four stroke lead with 6 holes to go. Anything could have happened. The history of golf is loaded with meltdowns worse than that. Trust me, they weren't engraving Lexi's name on the trophy when she was on the 11th hole.

well i think we all saw what could and would have happened.. it took a 4 stroke penalty to get her into a playoff..... so the field got 4 strokes of help to get even with her in 6 holes.... lol and thats after the gut punch of a penalty... there goes the " we dont know what would have happened theory".... I can tell you she wins by 4 with no penalty and she wins by 2 without the incorrect card addition.... OR if we are playing alternate facts.... Maybe she wins by 5 or 6 with no penalty if she doesnt have the burden of the ruling mid round on sunday????

You can conjecture anything you want in your crystal ball. Yeah, she could have won by six, or she could have lost three on the final two holes like Ariya did last year to lose it. I recall watching Jean van de Velde melting down on the final hole of the '99 Open Championship. IK Kim missed an 18 inch putt to win the ANA in '12, and go on to lose in a playoff. Strange things happen in golf, especially majors.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Whether Lexi broke a rule or not, she didn't deserve a 4 stroke penalty for moving her ball an inch to the side. Something had to be done to ensure that the penalty for what players like this do doesn't become so egregious that it becomes unfair.

How about an inch and a half? Two inches? 3? 6? The rule is quite clear. If the ball is visibly in a different position, then it's a penalty.

One can always take an unplayable with a one stroke penalty. If one feels that the ball can't be played in its current position, the rules allow one to move it a club length (no closer to the hole) at the cost of a stroke. If you play it from the wrong position, it costs you two strokes. She knows that.

As to the penalty for signing an incorrect scorecard, it's known to be a 2 stroke penalty per hole (w/ incorrect lower score). It used to be a DQ. We've discussed the possibility of changing it to allow one to sign the card after the final round, but I don't think that's going to go anywhere.

No, I didn't see it because I was on fast forward at the moment. I time shift the coverage, and fast forward through the boring parts. After she missed the putt 18 inches to the right of the hole, my thumb is hitting FF, as I don't need to watch tap ins. Obviously now I have to watch every single one, as it could be a crucial development in the outcome of the tournament.

Fair enough, but then how can you say, "Personally, it was easy to spot at full speed, non-zoomed, as the marker was hidden then visible"? By the time you watched it that way, you already knew what to look for.

I still want to know where you're getting this info from, "In Lexi's case the person spotting the infraction was watching the (delayed) coverage, and spotted the violation." If it's been reported that way, I must have missed it. As far as I know, the only info we have is that the two main officials both received an email that mentioned there might have been a violation. They never said how the email sender became aware of the violation.

Fair enough, but then how can you say, "Personally, it was easy to spot at full speed, non-zoomed, as the marker was hidden then visible"? By the time you watched it that way, you already knew what to look for.

I still want to know where you're getting this info from, "In Lexi's case the person spotting the infraction was watching the (delayed) coverage, and spotted the violation." If it's been reported that way, I must have missed it. As far as I know, the only info we have is that the two main officials both received an email that mentioned there might have been a violation. They never said how the email sender became aware of the violation.

The coverage has been extensive on this. From what I heard and read the person reported it the next day, and the officials acted upon it immediately. Maybe he/she reported it late at night, and the email wasn't noticed until the next day, but the officials would be in hot water if they didn't act upon the notice until mid day.

OK, I assume they watched the coverage time shifted, but I'll accept that they watched it live, and decided to withhold the information to personally mess with her. 'Can't rule out anything I guess. It's also likely the person is a rules official, and has an eye for these details. It's also possible they simply watched her mark the ball, and saw the disappearing coin trick. Had she lifted and cleaned the ball, I bet it wouldn't have been caught.

In a nutshell, the broadcast didn't do anything out of the ordinary to isolate the marking of the ball. The camera was on her group, and it was broadcast during normal coverage. Whoever saw it detected it while watching the live or time-shifted feed, and then reported it.

Argonne69 (wink wink) you old dog... it was you wasn't it?

I mean it sounds like you know way too much about this whole situation and how it was orchestrated... almost creepy.

How can I not know what happened? Lol. You been under a rock for the past two weeks? :taunt: There was extensive coverage of the incident during and after the tournament. There are a minimum of 6 threads on WRX that discuss it in detail, including this one.

I feel bad for her, but not sorry. She broke the rules and got caught. Certainly not the first player to lose a tournament and/or major after getting a penalty, and certainly not the last. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how a professional that has marked over 10,000 balls in her career has a massive brain fart in a period of several seconds while in contention at a major. However, it has happened, and will likely happen again. The officials did their job, and did it quickly once they were alerted. One can argue for weeks, as we have, whether the rules should be changed, especially regarding the incorrect scorecard penalty, but it doesn't change this outcome.

The first 15 seconds of this is the live, real-time replay. I'm finding it hard to believe that unless you know to look for it that you will see anything that causes you to say that didn't look right. Hell, I've got it blown up to full screen on my computer watching it very up close and, even though I know to look for it, I have to look really, really hard to notice anything unusual. Someone had to be very intently focused on the ball and nothing else to pick this up. This was not just some casual viewer saying "did you just see what she did".

http://www.golfchann...l-mark-penalty/

The first 15 seconds of this is the live, real-time replay. I'm finding it hard to believe that unless you know to look for it that you will see anything that causes you to say that didn't look right. Hell, I've got it blown up to full screen on my computer watching it very up close and, even though I know to look for it, I have to look really, really hard to notice anything unusual. Someone had to be very intently focused on the ball and nothing else to pick this up. This was not just some casual viewer saying "did you just see what she did".

I don't disagree. It's very unlikely it was a casual fan that spotted it. 'Likely a rules official that has a keen eye for that particular infraction. Would a casual fan know who to contact?

I don't disagree. It's very unlikely it was a casual fan that spotted it. 'Likely a rules official that has a keen eye for that particular infraction. Would a casual fan know who to contact?

Or maybe a rules official who had been alerted to look for it :)

The coverage has been extensive on this. From what I heard and read the person reported it the next day, and the officials acted upon it immediately. Maybe he/she reported it late at night, and the email wasn't noticed until the next day, but the officials would be in hot water if they didn't act upon the notice until mid day.

OK, I assume they watched the coverage time shifted, but I'll accept that they watched it live, and decided to withhold the information to personally mess with her. 'Can't rule out anything I guess. It's also likely the person is a rules official, and has an eye for these details. It's also possible they simply watched her mark the ball, and saw the disappearing coin trick. Had she lifted and cleaned the ball, I bet it wouldn't have been caught.

In a nutshell, the broadcast didn't do anything out of the ordinary to isolate the marking of the ball. The camera was on her group, and it was broadcast during normal coverage. Whoever saw it detected it while watching the live or time-shifted feed, and then reported it.

The mistake you're making, in my opinion, is assuming it was a viewer who spotted the infraction. I'm not talking about who sent the email, but who spotted the infraction.

The mistake you're making, in my opinion, is assuming it was a viewer who spotted the infraction. I'm not talking about who sent the email, but who spotted the infraction.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Chances are very good that it was NOT a viewer who first spotted the infraction.

OK, so let's say that it wasn't a casual viewer who first spotted it. Does that change the fact that it was an infraction? Does it reduce the anger associated with it being reported by "a casual fan calling in"? If it was a player or caddie, one can wonder why it wasn't reported on the spot. Ace in the hole? Conspiracy theories run wild.

Good points here! Everybody knows she would have made the putt regardless of where she marked it. She was robbed of the tournament Victory due to asinine LPGA rules. The two strokes for signing an incorrect card is absurd. So what it boils down to she loses for strokes for a half inch. There is no possible way that I can think that she intentionally cheated when she did what she did, yeah it was a bit off line, but she was doing it out of courtesy by marking it from the side. Talk about somebody getting unfairly treated for being courteous.

OK, so let's say that it wasn't a casual viewer who first spotted it. Does that change the fact that it was an infraction? I have always agreed that it was an infraction. Does it reduce the anger associated with it being reported by "a casual fan calling in"? I've never been been angered by the call-in aspect. If it was a player or caddie, one can wonder why it wasn't reported on the spot. Ace in the hole? Conspiracy theories run wild.

See above.

The real concern, to me, in the rule change is the application of the reasonable golfer standard. Black and white rules occasionally result in situations like Lexi's where the punishment seems too harsh. However, they do result in a generally more level playing field for the entire field. Now you've got a situation where officials have the ability to declare something not a penalty and I'm not entirely comfortable with whether all players will receive the same deference.

Does unfamiliar, 223rd ranked Asian player get the same decision that high profile American Lexi Thompson gets? Players like Lexi drive U.S. television ratings for the LPGA and officials and sponsors know it. Does 149th ranked Nacho Elvira get the same result under a reasonableness standard that Phil gets?

What will really hurt golf in the long run is the appearance of unfair implementation that looks like favoritism and I think this rule makes that more likely rather than less.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Good points here! Everybody knows she would have made the putt regardless of where she marked it. She was robbed of the tournament Victory due to asinine LPGA rules. The two strokes for signing an incorrect card is absurd. So what it boils down to she loses for strokes for a half inch. There is no possible way that I can think that she intentionally cheated when she did what she did, yeah it was a bit off line, but she was doing it out of courtesy by marking it from the side. Talk about somebody getting unfairly treated for being courteous.

No, everybody doesn't know that she could have made the putt. Short putts are missed from time to time. Was there a spike mark in her line? Can't say, but it's possible.

Why on earth did she mark it and align the ball if it was a no brainer gimme?

I get the concerns about equality, but is it not the Tournament Committee's responsibility to enforce the rules fairly? After all, the Committee has the right to ignore what someone calls in.

No they don't. All referees have an obligation to investigate any potential violation of the rules if it is reported to them. You're actually a proponent of selective enforcement of the rules? How would that be applying them fairly? Their favorite players get a pass?

The PGATour and LPGA have committed to follow the Rules of golf as published by the USGA and R&A. The definition of "referee" from those Rules:

A "
" is one who is appointed by the
to decide questions of fact and apply the
. He must act on any breach of a
that he observes or is reported to him.

No I'm not for selective enforcement at all. Man the strawmen get us in trouble in these threads...

Your point is a good one, so I phrased it poorly. The tournament committee and all referees are required to enforce the rules, and investigate reports of violations, okay -- got it.

Then the equality of enforcement exists. I don't see how certain players being reported by television viewers while others are not threatens equality. The responsibility still lies with the referees.

Is it not possible that one player has a hawk eyed playing partner that notices everything and reports it, while another does not? That would exist without television would it not?

I'm not sure how Argonne69 feels about this issue, you guys..

Sorry, but I stopped playing in amateur tournaments because of the cheats. I'd hate to think that professional golf is going to head down that rat hole. Don't break the rules, and you don't have to worry about the cameras. If you're caught, you take your medicine. Knowing that you could be tossing away a major trophy and a sizeable paycheck should be all the incentive one needs to follow the rules. Trust, but verify. While players are supposed to call penalties on themselves, they don't always do. That's why there are officials. They are there to protect the field. The have an obligation to enforce penalties when there is a clear violation, which was the case at the ANA.

Must be a Chicago thing.

Lol. Enforcing rules? Depends on the size of the kickback.

The unofficial motto of Illinois is now, "Will the Defendant Please Rise?"

Here playing partners and walking rules official didn't see the rules infraction. No penalty.

Didn't see it or did not say anything?

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

No I'm not for selective enforcement at all. Man the strawmen get us in trouble in these threads...

Your point is a good one, so I phrased it poorly. The tournament committee and all referees are required to enforce the rules, and investigate reports of violations, okay -- got it.

Then the equality of enforcement exists. I don't see how certain players being reported by television viewers while others are not threatens equality. The responsibility still lies with the referees.

Is it not possible that one player has a hawk eyed playing partner that notices everything and reports it, while another does not? That would exist without television would it not?

Talk about a strawman. I simply cannot imagine a point in time where every single one of the 10,000+ shots taken during a tournament are executed under the watchful eye of a referee and/or TV camera. It's simply unobtainable. Since it's not possible, we should simply let everything go, including the non-enforcement of known violations of the rules because, well, we're sure someone else on the course got away with it?

If a player doesn't want to get caught on camera breaking the rules, they should a) not break the rules, or b) shoot one over the cut line, and guarantee themselves a spot in the first group out in the morning when the cameraman is eating breakfast.

The players on the leaderboard know they are being watched. It's simply part of modern tournament golf.

As for other hawk-eyed players, that's simply luck of the draw. Don't break the rules, and one doesn't have to worry about their hawk-eyed partner.

No I didn't say that we let everything go? C----- on a crutch,where did I say that?

I'm saying that the possibility of someone not being caught in a rules infraction exists already without television viewers calling things in. Therefore, it is already as equally enforced as humanly possible.

Therefore, my point being that the fact that a player is on camera, and has someone watching report them is akin to the inequality in one playing partner watching closely and another playing partner not watching some other player closely.

My ultimate point being that television viewers calling in suspected violations does not make the enforcement of the rules unequal.

I can't help being a moron that can't explain himself, but you sure as heck read what I was saying wrong. Have a nice day.

No to pick on you but to reply to quite a few posts that were similar. Please watch the video posted above again. I have no idea why she marked it from the side as she did as if you look at where the other two coins were she had plenty of room to get behind the ball and mark it. She was in absolutely zero danger of standing on anyone's line either marking or putting. Try marking from the side yourself sometime. It really is no more difficult to get the replacement correct from the side than it is from directly behind.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

No to pick on you but to reply to quite a few posts that were similar. Please watch the video posted above again. I have no idea why she marked it from the side as she did as if you look at where the other two coins were she had plenty of room to get behind the ball and mark it. She was in absolutely zero danger of standing on anyone's line either marking or putting. Try marking from the side yourself sometime. It really is no more difficult to get the replacement correct from the side than it is from directly behind.

"What most viewers don’t see in the zoomed-in version of the replay is that Thompson’s ball is in the putting line of Sung Hyun Park, explaining why Thompson comes in from the side, to stay off Park’s line."

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/randall-mell/thompson-needs-tell-her-side-ana-incident/