2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G400 Driver, Fairway Woods and Crossovers (Including Bubba's Custom Driver and 3 Wood): Shot at

GolfWRX

Gave the G400 with the Alta stiff shaft a spin at my local track recently. Was not impress at all. And I am not knocking Ping, as I have played the G5, G10, G15, G20, G25 and G30. Have basically been playing Ping drivers forever. Fell out of love with the G and went to the Titleist 915. Upgraded to the 917 D3, regular Diamana blue shaft, when it came out. The Titleist may not be the longest and in most people's opinion the D3 may not be the most forgiving, but for me it's a fairway finder as I hit on average 90% of fairways in any given round. The G400 was on average 10 yards longer for me, give or take, but it was a two way miss. And I suspect the misses was as a result of the length of the shaft. The G400's shaft is 45.75, compared to the D3 which is 45. However, the .75 longer shaft felt extremely uncomfortable. Fact that I'm only 5 foot 6 inches may also explain why I feel more comfortable with a shorter shaft. Having said that, I currently play off a 4 and my handicap varies between scratch and 4, depending on how much I play.

I will be taking the G400 with a Tour 65 shaft out for another test at my club in the near future and see how that goes. I really would like to go back to Ping but finding fairways with decent length at my club (the Pezula Champions Course) is vital for scoring as misses are severely punished. Having played Ping drivers for so long, I've got a soft spot for Ping and I'm glad for those players for whom its working.

So try it with a shorter shaft. Seems like a simple solution.

Yup. I'm 6'1 and still found the 45.75 shaft too long. I had the stock shaft cut down to 44.75 and it improved greatly. I reshafted it with a Yonex shaft and didn't look back. My G driver became a weapon. The G400 should be more so...if PING catches up with the demand. Our rep said we still can't get them until mid- to late-September. They said they haven't had this level of response and demand with ANY line of theirs in 24 years.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I hit 90% of fairways, I would never look at another driver

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Gave the G400 with the Alta stiff shaft a spin at my local track recently. Was not impress at all. And I am not knocking Ping, as I have played the G5, G10, G15, G20, G25 and G30. Have basically been playing Ping drivers forever. Fell out of love with the G and went to the Titleist 915. Upgraded to the 917 D3, regular Diamana blue shaft, when it came out. The Titleist may not be the longest and in most people's opinion the D3 may not be the most forgiving, but for me it's a fairway finder as I hit on average 90% of fairways in any given round. The G400 was on average 10 yards longer for me, give or take, but it was a two way miss. And I suspect the misses was as a result of the length of the shaft. The G400's shaft is 45.75, compared to the D3 which is 45. However, the .75 longer shaft felt extremely uncomfortable. Fact that I'm only 5 foot 6 inches may also explain why I feel more comfortable with a shorter shaft. Having said that, I currently play off a 4 and my handicap varies between scratch and 4, depending on how much I play.

I will be taking the G400 with a Tour 65 shaft out for another test at my club in the near future and see how that goes. I really would like to go back to Ping but finding fairways with decent length at my club (the Pezula Champions Course) is vital for scoring as misses are severely punished. Having played Ping drivers for so long, I've got a soft spot for Ping and I'm glad for those players for whom its working.

One would think. Or you could just grip down 3/4 of an inch and see what happens.

Yup. I'm 6'1 and still found the 45.75 shaft too long. I had the stock shaft cut down to 44.75 and it improved greatly. I reshafted it with a Yonex shaft and didn't look back. My G driver became a weapon. The G400 should be more so...if PING catches up with the demand. Our rep said we still can't get them until mid- to late-September. They said they haven't had this level of response and demand with ANY line of theirs in 24 years.

Can't get a driver until mid/late September?

My local stores have tons of them, Alta and Tour shafts of all flexes.

Strange...

If he wants anything that isn't dead stock in those shafts then it is a long wait. If he wants the Tour shafts at 44.75" that is a long wait. Sure he could buy one of the rack and cut it down but the swing weight would be off and he would have to use lead tape, hot melt or wait for a weight from Ping.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

Hence why I will try it with the Tour 65 shaft, which seems to be 45.25

Just another affirmation on the g400 fairway woods. I tried the 14.5 and 17.5 Alta CB stiff on outside range, on grass, and they are as close to high launching and crazy distance as my Adams TL2 titaniums as I've found.

If you have trouble launching 3W off the deck....these are for you. And don't let the 14.5 scare you....it launches more like a 16. You might even try the Stretch at 13...just for grins.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

Just another affirmation on the g400 fairway woods. I tried the 14.5 and 17.5 Alta CB stiff on outside range, on grass, and they are as close to high launching and crazy distance as my Adams TL2 titaniums as I've found.

If you have trouble launching 3W off the deck....these are for you. And don't let the 14.5 scare you....it launches more like a 16. You might even try the Stretch at 13...just for grins.

Agree, but I actually found the 16.0 SFT even easier to hit than the G400, just as long if not longer, and more forgiving.

Agree, but I actually found the 16.0 SFT even easier to hit than the G400, just as long if not longer, and more forgiving.

curious what makes the SFT easier to hit than the standard G? Once i recover from my knee surgery thinking of testing the G400 vs Cobra F7 or F8 vs M2 HL for something that is off the deck. Off the tee i can't ask for any more than my VPF.

Ping G400 Max / Speeder 661 Evo IV 
Sim Ti 3 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Cobra Radspeed 5 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 / Modus3 105
Ping I210 5-U / Modus3 105
Vokey SM8 54D / Modus3 125

Vokey SM8 58 LBK / Modus3 125

Nike Origin Naked B2-01

You can tweak the 16 SFT to 15.0. The head is slightly, so slightly larger, and for me, with only an 85 mph swing, the SFT was dead straight vs the regular G400 with more distance. I am 58, decent shape, but bad back, 3 shoulder surgeries, 3 knee surgeries (need right knee replacement). Plus the fact most of the NCAA men and women's teams prefer the SFT, speaks volumes. It's NOT an offset slice club. But it's easier to launch than the regular, with a bit more added forgiveness. I'm fine off the tee with both, but the SFT won hands down off the turf!

my miss is left...so SFT would scare me a little bit. maybe tweaking to 15 would open the face some. i'll give it a try....thanks!

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

• 2 weeks later...
You can tweak the 16 SFT to 15.0. The head is slightly, so slightly larger, and for me, with only an 85 mph swing, the SFT was dead straight vs the regular G400 with more distance. I am 58, decent shape, but bad back, 3 shoulder surgeries, 3 knee surgeries (need right knee replacement). Plus the fact most of the NCAA men and women's teams prefer the SFT, speaks volumes. It's NOT an offset slice club. But it's easier to launch than the regular, with a bit more added forgiveness. I'm fine off the tee with both, but the SFT won hands down off the turf!

Where did you learn that the SFT is preferred by NCAA players? I have hit both and the SFT off a tee was point and shoot. I liked the feel of the regular one slightly more. They were pretty even from fairway. YMMV.

Idk where he heard college players prefer SFT, but I do know a quality fitter/instructor in my area said he better players went SFT

Idk where he heard college players prefer SFT, but I do know a quality fitter/instructor in my area said he better players went SFT

Interesting.

I thought so too. When I talked to PING the rep told me the SFT is not draw biased. Very adamant of it actually

Your couple of posts on this are encouraging for an older slightly slower guy. Taking a bit of a flyer, I ordered the SFT 16* with Kuro Kage option unhit (no demo 3 shaft available) same day I was fitted for the 12* with KK. Driver gets rid of maiden status today, still awaiting the fairway.

Moving to them from G25 driver and 4W.

Your couple of posts on this are encouraging for an older slightly slower guy. Taking a bit of a flyer, I ordered the SFT 16* with Kuro Kage option unhit (no demo 3 shaft available) same day I was fitted for the 12* with KK. Driver gets rid of maiden status today, still awaiting the fairway.

good luck with the maiden voyage! I'm assuming you have SFT driver as well? Let us know how your new tools work!

good luck with the maiden voyage! I'm assuming you have SFT driver as well? Let us know how your new tools work!

The SFT driver gets it's first go today... the 3 wood is still coming. Will report back once I have a few rounds in.

Not expecting miracles today though as I haven't played for three weeks and body/sleep pattern still a bit messed up adjusting from returning from a trip with 9 time zone difference this week.

I recently picked up a G400 3 wood head to test against the G30 that is currently in my bag. I've had one range session with the G400, and had a chance to do some on course testing with both heads today. Both heads are marked 14.5*, but neither has been digitally measured. I hit both heads in the neutral setting with the same shaft (Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 80x), using 2016 Bridgestone B330 balls (I even made sure to rotate which specific ball was hit with each head, to eliminate as many variables as possible). I hit each head off of four different tees, and on 3 of those holes, I had comparable strikes (on the other one, I hit 3 balls with the G400 and hit all of them poorly - user error). I also hit both clubs off the ground on one par 5. There was also one hole where I hit only the G400.

Results:

Hole #2 - hit both heads well and in the same direction. Balls were within 5 yards of each other, with the G400 the longer one.

Hole #5 - hit G400 very well on a hole where I usually hit driver. Ball was in the fairway about 25 yards short of where a well-hit driver usually ends up in the type of conditions I played in today (mid 50s temps).

Hole #13 - hit both heads well and on the same line. The ball hit with the G30 somehow ended up 30 yards past the one hit with the G400. G30 shot was on a more penetrating trajectory (remember this for later), and must have caught a slope when it landed.

Hole #15 - hit solid shots with both heads from the same spot from a good lie in light rough. Balls were within 5 yards of each other on the same line with the G30 being longer.

Hole #16 - hit both heads a little bit on the heel, and the shots both faded into the right rough. The ball hit with the G30 might have been a slightly more solid strike, and it was less offline and about 10 yards farther.

Overall, the biggest performance difference I notice is how much higher the G400 launches compared to the G30. I play the G30 in the neutral setting, and I get a nice penetrating trajectory without too much spin, both off the tee and the ground. The G400 doesn't look like it spins a lot, but it really tends to launch high. It's possible I have a head with more loft than stated, but from what I heard from my instructor, who is a Ping staffer and has tested the G400 v. his G fairway, the higher launch is a characteristic of the G400. I toyed with the lower loft settings on the range, but I didn't notice a huge impact in launch.

The other big difference I notice is the sound. The G30 fairways have kind of a "thwack" sound to them, but the maraging steel face of the G400 gives it a much different sound -- quite a bit louder and reminiscent of an aluminum softball bat. It's not necessarily unpleasant, but it is distinctive. The appearance is a little different, too with thicker turbulators on the G400 than the G30. The sole is flatter on the G400, and the toe has a squarer look to it, as well. I actually prefer the look of the G400.

All in all, though, I don't think I'm going to be making the switch to the G400. I didn't see any real performance gains, either in distance or dispersion, to justify the investment. I didn't really have any issues with my 3 wood, but I'd heard some promising things about the newest generation, but for me, it doesn't seem to be a game changer.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I recently got a G 400 crossover with a matrix Altus hybrid shaft and it is a rocket launcher, long, forgiving and easy to flight.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

Can't get a driver until mid/late September?

My local stores have tons of them, Alta and Tour shafts of all flexes.

Strange...

Crazy. I know. Smaller stores must not be getting the love like the larger ones!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

My SFT 3w with 70x XTorsion showed up today, took it to the range. Loved it. 20mph head wind on the range and it didnt get lost left, didn't balloon and launched with ease.

Do the G400 fairways have the lower leading edge like the G fairways? I haven't seen any info on that anywhere.

They sit real low to the ground and have a low profile. The whole club sits below the ball on my SFT