Ping G400 Driver, Fairway Woods and Crossovers (Including Bubba's Custom Driver and 3 Wood): Shot at

GolfWRX

Call me crazy, but I loved the SFT 16* with Tour 75S. Serioulsy considering it.

Convince me. I was going to go away from a fairway wood. Or at least go 7 or 9 wood.

Well, it is completely against all Golfwrx norm: It is a larger, round clubhead. For me, I love the look. With the stock shaft, it hits very high with lots of spin. The Tour 75, it brings it down, reduces spin and any left to right flight. I recommend trying the combo.

They also offer an SFT 5 & 7 wood.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Convince me. I was going to go away from a fairway wood. Or at least go 7 or 9 wood.

Well, it is completely against all Golfwrx norm: It is a larger, round clubhead. For me, I love the look. With the stock shaft, it hits very high with lots of spin. The Tour 75, it brings it down, reduces spin and any left to right flight. I recommend trying the combo.

I actually need the spin, but definitely need to limit side spin. Hitting a fairway off the deck is a weakness. I may do it right 2x out of ten. The inability to cover 220+ puts a ton of pressure on the rest of my game.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I actually need the spin, but definitely need to limit side spin. Hitting a fairway off the deck is a weakness. I may do it right 2x out of ten. The inability to cover 220+ puts a ton of pressure on the rest of my game.

i also have problems at times hitting a 3-wood off the deck. Hit the 16* SFT and wow! Hit it as far off the deck as my Titleist 915F off the tee. And straight! Picked up 15 yards of carry and better spin (too little spin with Titleist). Also hit the regular G400 3-wood. The SFT performed much better. Super easy to hit off deck and tee, and long!

I know it'll be a revelation for those that otherwise ignore the SFT fairway, but they are fantastic options. Big minus at 15° is an excellent option for anyone. It's a fairway-playable club without giving up much (or nothing now with the g400). I play the G with a tour shaft and it is fab-o.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

In omaha a pretty large number of top amateurs (high school and college) were fit into the SF fairways and the fitter said the same thing... doesn't have a left bias

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

quick ? --- does anyone know if DiscountDans got their PING account revoked? can't buy PING on their site anymore...??

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

quick ? --- does anyone know if DiscountDans got their PING account revoked? can't buy PING on their site anymore...??

I can't say with any certainty that they never had an account, but they certainly haven't had one for some time. I remember trying to but some i25 irons a few years back, and they said hat they don't carry PING.

Ping G430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
TaylorMade BRNR | Project X Even Flow Riptide 70

Calaway X2Hot 5Deep | UST Elements Chrome+ 8
Titleist TSr3 | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95
PING i210 5-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless 350g

They were taking orders as of a week ago, but they will only do it over the phone and it didn't save any money at all with PING products

I can't say with any certainty that they never had an account, but they certainly haven't had one for some time. I remember trying to but some i25 irons a few years back, and they said hat they don't carry PING.

something must've changed -- i just got a response back from them they do in fact carry ping -- and could order a G400 LST through them. figured i'd ask just for curiosities sake.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

something must've changed -- i just got a response back from them they do in fact carry ping -- and could order a G400 LST through them. figured i'd ask just for curiosities sake.

I ordered my LST through them July 14th, still no word on when it may arrive

Interesting - I stand corrected!

Ping G430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
TaylorMade BRNR | Project X Even Flow Riptide 70

Calaway X2Hot 5Deep | UST Elements Chrome+ 8
Titleist TSr3 | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95
PING i210 5-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless 350g

They were taking orders as of a week ago, but they will only do it over the phone and it didn't save any money at all with PING products

No tax.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

In omaha a pretty large number of top amateurs (high school and college) were fit into the SF fairways and the fitter said the same thing... doesn't have a left bias

I don't think it has a left bias, but every one I've seen the face has been quite closed to my eye.

I'll second this

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

I don't think it has a left bias, but every one I've seen the face has been quite closed to my eye.

I'll second this

I think the key is that the Big Minus setting opens it to neutral. If you like it there, you're set.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Thats because Ping is very protective of thier price point... and they don't play around with it...

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Once all the presumed epoxy issues are worked out, do you think the big box stores will carry more shaft options? Went to a Golf Galaxy and they only had the LST with the tour shaft. The rep I spoke to wasn't sure if more demos were on the way but did mention Ping is having trouble filling orders.

Is it common more demos arrive later, or should I assume I need to look elsewhere to demo other shafts before I pull the trigger?

Just went to the range with my new G400 (standard 10.5*). All I can say is wow! So much better in sound and feel over my old G. I had a couple of different shafts I tried in it, an Elements Chrome and a Oban Devotion and neither could beat the stock Alta shaft. Same scenario I went through with the G so I wasn't surprised by the shaft at all.

My G was an SFT and after a few lessons and working on my swing over the last year or so I was starting to lose everything left (got the G SFT to counter a right tendency). I think a combination of the SFT and the lower swing weight was not working anymore for my swing. Changing up to the standard head with a higher swing weight has me hitting nice high baby draws nearly every shot. For me and my swing, for now, the G400 is working out much better than the G.

Apples to apples I'm not sure if I would have seen any differences but changing up the model is definitely showing me some big gains in accuracy and distance. Yes, I'm sorta justifying the purchase, but in this case it was warranted so I'm good with that.

For those looking to try out different shafts, I've said it before and I'll say it again here... the stock Ping Alta shafts are very good shafts that work really well with these heads. Don't sell yourself short by overlooking these shafts just because they are "stock" or "made for" or whatever... aftermarket/expensive is not always better.

I hope my 5W comes in soon, then I'll be set on woods for the next 18 months or so... probably, maybe, perhaps.

Tried a friend's G400 9 degree today. I know we often say (especially in the case of Ping) that each iteration sounds better, but coming from a G LST the sound is SIGNIFICANTLY better. Legitimately. It's got a great thwack and feels much more solid (whereas in comparison my G LST feels hollow).

The head looks way better to my eye. It's as if they lopped off the back "border" of a standard G driver.

Tried my Tour 65X in both and found that the G400 seems to launch higher than the loft would indicate. I have zero launch monitor evidence to back this up, but to my eye it appeared that way.

Can't say it's any longer, but the feel and smaller head size alone makes this a worthwhile upgrade in my book. Will be curious to see how the LST performs when they are in stock 8 months from now...

Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 6X

Taylormade Brnr Mini - Ventus Red TR 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 5 - Ventus Red TR 8X

Callaway UT 21*, Ventus Black 9TX

Callaway UT 24*, Ventus Black 9TX
Ping i210 5-W - $ Taper 130X

Taylormade MG4 - 50SB, 56SB, 60TW - MMT 125TX
Ping PLD Tyne

My 8.5 lst and fairway wood both with yellow hzrdus will be here Wednesday.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

Can anyone speculate as to whether the crossover will be available in a 17 degree loft?

I'm sure you could get a 19 bent to 17.

2024 Callaway Tour 
Ogio Silencer bag

Can anyone speculate as to whether the crossover will be available in a 17 degree loft?

I can speculate because Ping did the artwork. A 17 and a 27. I think they are waiting to get first run done. 90% chance of these coming out.

My 8.5 lst and fairway wood both with yellow hzrdus will be here Wednesday.

Have you been able to hit with this head/combination or are you going in blind?

Going blind. I have been hitting a 9* g400 with a copperhead tx flex and have been liking it but launch is a little high.

2024 Callaway Tour 
Ogio Silencer bag

I can speculate because Ping did the artwork. A 17 and a 27. I think they are waiting to get first run done. 90% chance of these coming out.

I have seen images of the 2-iron so I know they exist. With the power lofts of the 4 iron on the G400 being 19*, I do not need a 3-iron Crossover with 19* as well. Looking for the 2-iron 17* version as well.

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

Gave the G400 with the Alta stiff shaft a spin at my local track recently. Was not impress at all. And I am not knocking Ping, as I have played the G5, G10, G15, G20, G25 and G30. Have basically been playing Ping drivers forever. Fell out of love with the G and went to the Titleist 915. Upgraded to the 917 D3, regular Diamana blue shaft, when it came out. The Titleist may not be the longest and in most people's opinion the D3 may not be the most forgiving, but for me it's a fairway finder as I hit on average 90% of fairways in any given round. The G400 was on average 10 yards longer for me, give or take, but it was a two way miss. And I suspect the misses was as a result of the length of the shaft. The G400's shaft is 45.75, compared to the D3 which is 45. However, the .75 longer shaft felt extremely uncomfortable. Fact that I'm only 5 foot 6 inches may also explain why I feel more comfortable with a shorter shaft. Having said that, I currently play off a 4 and my handicap varies between scratch and 4, depending on how much I play.

I will be taking the G400 with a Tour 65 shaft out for another test at my club in the near future and see how that goes. I really would like to go back to Ping but finding fairways with decent length at my club (the Pezula Champions Course) is vital for scoring as misses are severely punished. Having played Ping drivers for so long, I've got a soft spot for Ping and I'm glad for those players for whom its working.

45.75" is definitely not for everybody, I have no interest in playing a club that length personally

Gave the G400 with the Alta stiff shaft a spin at my local track recently. Was not impress at all. And I am not knocking Ping, as I have played the G5, G10, G15, G20, G25 and G30. Have basically been playing Ping drivers forever. Fell out of love with the G and went to the Titleist 915. Upgraded to the 917 D3, regular Diamana blue shaft, when it came out. The Titleist may not be the longest and in most people's opinion the D3 may not be the most forgiving, but for me it's a fairway finder as I hit on average 90% of fairways in any given round. The G400 was on average 10 yards longer for me, give or take, but it was a two way miss. And I suspect the misses was as a result of the length of the shaft. The G400's shaft is 45.75, compared to the D3 which is 45. However, the .75 longer shaft felt extremely uncomfortable. Fact that I'm only 5 foot 6 inches may also explain why I feel more comfortable with a shorter shaft. Having said that, I currently play off a 4 and my handicap varies between scratch and 4, depending on how much I play.

I will be taking the G400 with a Tour 65 shaft out for another test at my club in the near future and see how that goes. I really would like to go back to Ping but finding fairways with decent length at my club (the Pezula Champions Course) is vital for scoring as misses are severely punished. Having played Ping drivers for so long, I've got a soft spot for Ping and I'm glad for those players for whom its working.

So try it with a shorter shaft. Seems like a simple solution.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow