2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Erin Hills too Easy?

AhoyPolloi

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erin Hills is not too easy. The equipment is too good.

The players are as jacked as the lofts.

Three of the guys in the top five don't even weigh 150 lbs. what do you mean by the players being jacked?

You really need to read more of the threads on here...

Ah, sarcasm. Now I've got it. I think I actually need to read fewer threads on here:)

Erin Hills is not too easy. The equipment is too good.

The players are as jacked as the lofts.

Three of the guys in the top five don't even weigh 150 lbs. what do you mean by the players being jacked?

You really need to read more of the threads on here...

Ah, sarcasm. Now I've got it. I think I actually need to read fewer threads on here:)

I was thinking the same thing earlier, but then realized the house will clean itself.

...it will, won't it?

It's the same thread every year, unless the winner is at -6 with exactly 5 people under par than the course is either too hard or too easy.

Setting up a US open is probably the most difficult thing to do on terms of setup. You want a very tough course but you always leave yourself open to crazy things, like the weather taking a turn and making it unplayable, so you soften it just a bit and then someone shoots -15

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I think Erin Hills would have been difficult had it not been for the rain and lack of wind this week. Almost any course the USGA could've gone to would have been hit by low scores like EH if they had the same weather conditions

I kinda like the course but if the USGA is depending on weather to defend par than it really should not be an Open course

It's also the first time they've gone to Erin Hills , and i don't think they've really done the type of setup they have there basically anywhere prior (very wide fairways but certain death if you miss them). It's gone kind of like i would have expected , where if you have a bad driving day you are toast, but if you put the ball in the fairway you can score. That's why there are 76's and 65's. But they didn't want it to be a bloodbath i'm sure the first time there and get a black eye

Some guys were complaining that there were too many people shooting low scores, but again setting up a course is hard. When they showed the graphic yesterday about lowest all time under par at any moment in a US open, Ricky Barnes was right there, at -11 at Bethpage black. The same course that in 2002 people said was too hard because guys couldn't reach some of the fairways. Setting up a course isn't easy , it's really a knife edge

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Too easy? I dont think so. Most of the Top players missed the cut and couldnt consistently hit the wide fairways. I dont know may be they should of narrowed it.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

It's also the first time they've gone to Erin Hills , and i don't think they've really done the type of setup they have there basically anywhere prior (very wide fairways but certain death if you miss them). It's gone kind of like i would have expected , where if you have a bad driving day you are toast, but if you put the ball in the fairway you can score. That's why there are 76's and 65's. But they didn't want it to be a bloodbath i'm sure the first time there and get a black eye

Some guys were complaining that there were too many people shooting low scores, but again setting up a course is hard. When they showed the graphic yesterday about lowest all time under par at any moment in a US open, Ricky Barnes was right there, at -11 at Bethpage black. The same course that in 2002 people said was too hard because guys couldn't reach some of the fairways. Setting up a course isn't easy , it's really a knife edge

I'm sorry but comparing this open to the 2009 open in any way is idiotic.

After 3 rounds there were about 11 players under par and after the final round there were only 5, with -4 winning.

Unlike Erin hills, the stats clearly show that Bethpage black held its own that year despite heavy rain. This cannot be said about this us open

Seems just like another tour event rather than a major, birdies galore , basically whoever putts the best. They were saying on Sky last night they had set the course up well because the leader board was so bunched. What rubbish. Viewers want to see something different from a major, we want to see it tough that way the winner deserves the victory. 60 yard fairways is an absolute joke. Itmakes. A mockery of all the great rounds in past majors when Thomas will be remembered as lowest ever.

Seems just like another tour event rather than a major, birdies galore , basically whoever putts the best. They were saying on Sky last night they had set the course up well because the leader board was so bunched. What rubbish. Viewers want to see something different from a major, we want to see it tough that way the winner deserves the victory. 60 yard fairways is an absolute joke. Itmakes. A mockery of all the great rounds in past majors when Thomas will be remembered as lowest ever.

There is no denying the above statement. Not a major. Period

Just feels a bit like the USGA is throwing a bone to the players this year. I believe they thought it would play "easier" but didn't expect the weather to lay down quite like it has.

With the upcoming venues I would expect to see winning scores come back to the -5 to +5 range. If not then the USGA is going to have a brand issue in calling themselves the sternest test of golf, i.e. they'll just be the June version of the PGA Championship.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I think it will become more interesting today when Mike Davis and Thomas Pagel pull Justin Thomas aside today on number twelve to inform him that they are reviewing an instance of his ball oscillating in the bunker during his round on Thursday, letting him know they should have a decision after he hits his approach on eighteen.

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

One thing I will never be able to figure out is the USGA catering to the players. It's not like the guys are going to skip the US open. I love watching the majors. The masters is for the history and prestige of Augusta. The open gives you weather. The PGA is for the pros. And the US open is where the pros look closer to us ams. I love watching the pros battle the course. I love watching the pros have to keep their cool and remember that at a us open par keeps you in the tournament. We have not had that this year. Fowler shot 68 on moving day and fell two strokes further behind the leader. I absolutely blame the USGA here. They are so afraid of criticism from the players that they have watered this championship down to just another tour stop with a strong field. I understand the weather softened this course but why did the USGA widen it up from where the daily fee folks play it?

If the wind stays up, won't be suprised if even par wins this.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

Wisconsin Open? I will say that I enjoy the new venues. I get tired of the same ole rotation...

As an Aussie, why do they seem to only play Opens at SoCal or northern venues? I always thought there were great courses in Texas and Florida but we never see them host the Open. Is it weather related?

Not sure about Texas, but playing golf (and watching it as a spectator) would be unbelievably miserable in Florida in June.

most likely 14 under will win the US Open. I think it's time for a US Open venue that actually proves difficult. I'm not sure why setting up an Open for Par being a winning is such a bad thing?

The opposite side of that coin is:

"I'm not sure why setting up an Open for under par being the winning score is such a bad thing".

For all the traditionalists out there that jump on that statement, why don't you go back to playing hickory shafts and gutta percha balls? The correct answer is that things change over time.