Erin Hills too Easy?

AhoyPolloi

Sometimes I wonder if anyone is satisfied by anything. Some complain the course is too easy, or the announcers are terrible, or they complain about how Holly Sanders looks, etc. It's a compelling tournament on a beautiful golf course...I find it most enjoyable.

Every tournament same story. Coverage sucks , announcers suck , holly is fugly, Blair is too skinny,golf channel sucks , these guys are worse than women , never satisfied .

These threads could be a case study in whining entitlement lol

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also the first time they've gone to Erin Hills , and i don't think they've really done the type of setup they have there basically anywhere prior (very wide fairways but certain death if you miss them). It's gone kind of like i would have expected , where if you have a bad driving day you are toast, but if you put the ball in the fairway you can score. That's why there are 76's and 65's. But they didn't want it to be a bloodbath i'm sure the first time there and get a black eye

Some guys were complaining that there were too many people shooting low scores, but again setting up a course is hard. When they showed the graphic yesterday about lowest all time under par at any moment in a US open, Ricky Barnes was right there, at -11 at Bethpage black. The same course that in 2002 people said was too hard because guys couldn't reach some of the fairways. Setting up a course isn't easy , it's really a knife edge

I'm sorry but comparing this open to the 2009 open in any way is idiotic.

After 3 rounds there were about 11 players under par and after the final round there were only 5, with -4 winning.

Unlike Erin hills, the stats clearly show that Bethpage black held its own that year despite heavy rain. This cannot be said about this us open

Thanks for saying you are sorry, it really softened that blow

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Sometimes I wonder if anyone is satisfied by anything. Some complain the course is too easy, or the announcers are terrible, or they complain about how Holly Sanders looks, etc. It's a compelling tournament on a beautiful golf course...I find it most enjoyable.

Every tournament same story. Coverage sucks , announcers suck , holly is fugly, Blair is too skinny,golf channel sucks , these guys are worse than women , never satisfied .

These threads could be a case study in whining entitlement lol

Great entertainment always at GolfWRX. :)

"I need a *really* pretty face"

-Newman

Some posters here wouldn't know delicate beauty if it bludgeoned them over the head.

I hear mr Steinbrenner can be a bit irrational, I'd hate to see what he's like when he's hungry bwahahaha

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

There is no template for a US Open. Maybe the days of "par being a good score" are dated. Personally, I love seeing them beat up. The Master's has little rough, the Open has the weather/wind, the PGA has 50 club pro's, etc. The US Open committee obviously has chosen to rotate between the old guard (Oakmont/Shinnecock), and the new guard, which is more geared toward scoring. Fescue is penal, as we've seen, but 60 yard fairways is ridiculous. That does lend some argument to how EASY the course is and how DIFFICULT it really is. You can't go by course yardage anymore. It's irrelevant.....

I bet 99.9998% of WRX'ers wouldn't break 200 on this course. Lengthy yardage, narrow fairways, long fescue, domed greens, open winds. The visuals would cause 3 extra strokes per hole alone.

The other 0.0002% might break 150.

I think I could triple the last hole for a 199

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

These guys don't seem to have a problem getting up and down from off the green. Where are the "death" places where you simply cannot miss??

I like the idea of new courses for the US Open, but why do they all have to look like they're in Ireland or the U.K.? Chambers Bay was fun because the balls rolled so much that it was a blast to see where the thing ended up. But this course just ain't doing it for me. It's boring.

Create some new courses that fit the bill for a US Open - narrow, thick rough, hard greens.

These guys don't seem to have a problem getting up and down from off the green. Where are the "death" places where you simply cannot miss??

I like the idea of new courses for the US Open, but why do they all have to look like they're in Ireland or the U.K.? Chambers Bay was fun because the balls rolled so much that it was a blast to see where the thing ended up. But this course just ain't doing it for me. It's boring.

Create some new courses that fit the bill for a US Open - narrow, thick rough, hard greens.

Hmmm never heard this take...

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Practically every record for most under par has been broken at EH. I think this is conclusive that this was a very poor venue to host the Open. Frankly, it doesn't show well on TV either. There is nothing wrong with gearing a course for even par as the winning score. Some argue that they want to see great players producing great scores. Well, sometimes even par can provide exactly that...

Jason Day made like 3 triples on the first day! He could probably share some

I'm sure the course overall played easier than they thought it would. I doubt they wanted this many guys under par or the winning score to be -16 or -17 or whatever it ends up being.

But if they tighten the fairways or have the roll off areas go right into the thick rough (maybe they do that next time) and the winning score is +6 with some guys shooting 84 on Sunday, there'd be just as many people mad

I don't think it's easy to get a course set up dead solid perfect especially the first time, or any time.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Practically every record for most under par has been broken at EH. I think this is conclusive that this was a very poor venue to host the Open.

Matusyama's total score of 276 is the same as DJ at Oakmont last year. The big difference is the USGA stayed with a par 72 this year instead of changing EH to a par 70. USGA can't win. All things being equal how much different would people be looking at the scoring if Koepka was at 8 under and Hideki at 4 under? Lowest score still wins. Of course if a couple of the biggest names on tour were shooting these scores people many of the people complaining would be loving it.

Practically every record for most under par has been broken at EH. I think this is conclusive that this was a very poor venue to host the Open.

Matusyama's total score of 276 is the same as DJ at Oakmont last year. The big difference is the USGA stayed with a par 72 this year instead of changing EH to a par 70. USGA can't win. All things being equal how much different would people be looking at the scoring if Koepka was at 8 under and Hideki at 4 under? Lowest score still wins. Of course if a couple of the biggest names on tour were shooting these scores people many of the people complaining would be loving it.

It's par 72 based on the distance of the holes. USGA could have set up the tee boxes to play shorter to play par 70 but that wouldn't work with their agenda to roll back the ball.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I bet 99.9998% of WRX'ers wouldn't break 200 on this course. Lengthy yardage, narrow fairways, long fescue, domed greens, open winds. The visuals would cause 3 extra strokes per hole alone.

What are we betting?

grest point. Not sure why Texas or Florida etc. do not host the Open. There certainly are some great venues that could host.

It's hot.

They had 8300 yards to play with, if they wanted to make it hard they could have. The USGA had lost its way and Mike Davis isn't helping with his idea of course setups anymore.

If 2018 is a failure to produce drama an tough conditions as well, I thing 2019 you will see and entirely knew crew setting up the open.

Ever since the Olympic Club, the setups have gotten easier, and the courses have gotten worse, they need to figure something out, and thankfully there are no more terrbile courses on the rotation for quite some time

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

Speak for yourself. One all time record tied and one bettered this week. No way it can be billed as " hard ". Relatively speaking of course.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What are we betting?

grest point. Not sure why Texas or Florida etc. do not host the Open. There certainly are some great venues that could host.

It's hot.

Something like your house or a nice car at least. Not flying up for nothing.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

What are we betting?

It's hot.

Something like your house or a nice car at least. Not flying up for nothing.

So I only have to shoot over 150 and I can give you my house?

That seems to be incredibly weighted in my favor...

BS. Give me a 7 iron, a sand wedge and a putter and I'll break 200 all day.

With all 14 clubs, it would be dicey.

Mizuno MP-20’s

Ping G-410

I'll take that bet for literally everything I own lol

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

I'm sorry, did I see this correctly?

The winning score in the US Open was -16? Is that correct? Really???

-16 in the US Open.

LOL

I know it's been done before. Still, the score shouldn't go this low even with Mother Nature having her say. How does this happen?

Is the course too short?

Round 1: 7845

Round 2: 7839

Round 3: 7818

Round 4: 7721

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

BS. Give me a 7 iron, a sand wedge and a putter and I'll break 200 all day.

With all 14 clubs, it would be dicey.

You'd never make it to the fairway on several holes with a 7 iron... those walking paths through the tall fescue make for small landing areas.