2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Erin Hills too Easy?

AhoyPolloi

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that USGA has gone that soft, as winning score at Chamber's Bay was -5. Now we can argue about all these newby course (Bethpage, Torrey, CB, EH) and I'm willing to discuss that, but for the love of golf, the US Open is supposed to stand for TOUGHEST TEST.

I hope USGA corrects its errant path in due time.

You mean like the next four years, including Torrey in 2021?

Schedule isn't hard to find.

These guys don't seem to have a problem getting up and down from off the green. Where are the "death" places where you simply cannot miss??

I like the idea of new courses for the US Open, but why do they all have to look like they're in Ireland or the U.K.? Chambers Bay was fun because the balls rolled so much that it was a blast to see where the thing ended up. But this course just ain't doing it for me. It's boring.

Create some new courses that fit the bill for a US Open - narrow, thick rough, hard greens.

Hmmm never heard this take...

Did I double post? What's your point, BUB?!

The same point was ad nauseum on the thread the last 4 days. That's all

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Move to France - take Al Franken along.

I don't know who you are but you're all over the place. First you blast me for calling out how soft this was comparable to US Open then you lump me in with a guy who would give every guy in the tournament a participation trophy?

It's 10 now in our region. You can stop drinking now.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

A scoring record has been matched or broken in the last 10 majors. If that doesn't prove how good these guys are now I don't know what will

It's the equipment man, especially the ball. To prove my point, were you a better golfer as a freshman in high school-or now? :)

Gotta be the equipment. Right? :)

ironically I think I hit the ball further back then haha but yes the equipment has made a difference. wouldn't you say courses are set up more difficult now? greens are so slick now, lies are so tight, just the slightest miscue and disaster could be waiting

Would so many be complaining if the final round leaderboard had been stacked with the likes of DJ, Rory, Jordan, Jason, Sergio and Phil? Doubtful, imo.

Imo, the course played great but the set-up needed a little tweaking. The USGA gave the players two relatively short par 4's. If they were going to do that, they could've turned two of the par 5's into long par 4's. Scoring would've been lower and the pitchforks could've been put away.

A scoring record has been matched or broken in the last 10 majors. If that doesn't prove how good these guys are now I don't know what will

It's the equipment man, especially the ball. To prove my point, were you a better golfer as a freshman in high school-or now? :)

Gotta be the equipment. Right? :)

ironically I think I hit the ball further back then haha but yes the equipment has made a difference. wouldn't you say courses are set up more difficult now? greens are so slick now, lies are so tight, just the slightest miscue and disaster could be waiting

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think he meant it as a sarcastic response to all those on here who say things like, "When I started in 1995, I was a 20 handicap and could barely hit it 220. Now, I'm a 2 and routinely hit it close to 300 as a result of the new equipment." Never mind the 20+ years of experience. If that's not what he meant his post, it's what I mean by this one.

Would so many be complaining if the final round leaderboard had been stacked with the likes of DJ, Rory, Jordan, Jason, Sergio and Phil? Doubtful, imo.

Imo, the course played great but the set-up needed a little tweaking. The USGA gave the players two relatively short par 4's. If they were going to do that, they could've turned two of the par 5's into long par 4's. Scoring would've been lower and the pitchforks could've been put away.

Of course not, they'd be happy the leaderboard allowed them to whine about Jordan's pace of play, DJs issues, Rory skipping the Olympics, Sergio spitting and Phil beating Tiger on occasion - too many opportunities lost for the same old threads.

most likely 14 under will win the US Open. I think it's time for a US Open venue that actually proves difficult. I'm not sure why setting up an Open for Par being a winning is such a bad thing?

This was a terrible US Open. It would have been a good PGA or memorial type tournament, but for a US Open, absolute rubbish. US opens should be won with scores close to par. US opens should value driver accuracy, not give extra wide fairways to miss in. US open rough should be difficult to advance the ball out of. US open Greens should have only small acceptable landing areas with significant penalties for missing. All in all, I feel it missed on almost every mark.

How wide should the fairways be then? Don't just say they were too wide. Give us a number. 25 yards wide? 35? 45? Same width as guys faced when the average drive was just 260? That's probably what many are thinking but it's unrealistic and unfair. The course needs to be wider if you're going to make it longer for the new equipment. Or keep it at 6800 and watch guys hit irons off the tee all day. How exciting would that be?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Of course not, they'd be happy the leaderboard allowed them to whine about Jordan's pace of play, DJs issues, Rory skipping the Olympics, Sergio spitting and Phil beating Tiger on occasion - too many opportunities lost for the same old threads.

Coming from the guy with 10,000 posts. Ohhhh-kay. Lol

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Since i said Rory win at congressional was a bastardization of the records, you clearly aren't referring to me.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

The course needs to be wider if you're going to make it longer for the new equipment.

Alister MacKenzie agreed with that long before the equipment of today.

Long driving is not a crime. It is a virtue and is more frequently by skill and grace of motion than by mere force. Long drivers should be rewarded, and as a general rule they should have greater latitude, and not less, than short drivers.

Yep, and none of them wasted ripping on players' character like the National Enquirer/trying to figure out who is most hated/gossiping about this and that.

Yep, and none of them wasted ripping on players' character like the National Enquirer/trying to figure out who is most hated/gossiping about this and that.

Oh, like you did with me?

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I believe they would. The leaderboard at the 2014 PGA Championship was packed with superstars, but there was a ton of scoring. If you go back to that thread you'll see a lot of consternation, and that was for the PGA.

I believe they would. The leaderboard at the 2014 PGA Championship was packed with superstars, but there was a ton of scoring. If you go back to that thread you'll see a lot of consternation, and that was for the PGA.

Proving once and for all, with a community this large, there will always be lots of complaints.

Since i said Rory win at congressional was a bastardization of the records, you clearly aren't referring to me.

No, I'm not because if I wanted to reply to a specific post, I would've quoted it.

Was it just me or was this the most boring US Open of all time? Koepka killed it and good for him he deserved it. But from a tv viewer every hole looked the same, very boring, the normal US Open where anything could happen just didn't happen. This tourney left me empty. As a golf fan I'm very disappointed.

Lowry led the US open last year after 54 holes with a score of 203.

Harmon leads it thus year with a score of 204.

Par is a concept.

(props to the open thread fro pointing this Out)

This +1000000000

Par is and has always been an arbitrary number which means very little. The use of tracking scores by relation to par was only introduced after TV coverage became common.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

Par is a concept.

This +1000000000

Par is and has always been an arbitrary number which means very little. The use of tracking scores by relation to par was only introduced after TV coverage became common.

If you look for "1934 Masters" at Wikipedia, and go to the reference section, you will find a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article summarizing the event, and almost immediately it references the winning score and its relation to par.

Was it kind of a non-descript US Open? Sure.

But it sure is nice to have it at a course not loaded with smarm like those east coast super elite CCs.

Love having it at Bethpage and Torrey. Pretty convinced the US Open...the national tournament with open qualifying... shouldn't be played on a course the general public cannot access.

There are plenty of public Access courses that can be set up to kick the sh*t out of these guys.

Par is a concept.

This +1000000000

If you look for "1934 Masters" at Wikipedia, and go to the reference section, you will find a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article summarizing the event, and almost immediately it references the winning score and its relation to par.

Comment still stands as does the arbitrary nature of 'par'. One shot difference after 54 holes this year compared to last year is a perfect case in point.

[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Taylormade M2 2016 9*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Taylormade M2 2016 15*[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][size=3][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Adams DHy Proto 21*[/font][/i][/size][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC FliHi 4i[/font][/i][/center]
[center][i][font=comic sans ms,cursive]Mizuno MMC 5-P[/font][/i][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Callaway MackDaddy 4 Milled 54|58[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=comic sans ms, cursive][size=3][i]Custom Scotty Cameron California Coronado Milled Face[/i][/size][/font][/center]
[center][font="comic sans ms, cursive"][size=3][i]Snell MTB/MTB Black[/i][/size][/font][/center]

I really can't believe how much stupid there is in this thread.

The leader after 3 round is on 204 shots. The leader at this stage last year at the mighty Oakmont was on 203. Relabeling par 5s as par 4s does not make a course a true test of golf or a good US Open venue.

Having wider fairways allows players to be aggressive off the tee but there is more than enough danger to punish the bomb and gougers. Good shots are rewarded and bad shots punished. As a result we're seeing the best ballstrikers this week at the top of the leaderboard and that's why this is an excellent US Open venue.

Do you watch golf with a blindfold on? The U.S. Open has been a putting contest for 54 holes. Not even remotely similar to Oakmont. Wake up from your coma.

Can you provide the stats to back that up? Not only for this year, but compared to past Opens as well. Your comment is nothing but conjecture.

A factual perspective is many have not worked a USGA major and seen what they do to the course compared to daily play condition. I have and it was incredible how much more difficult their setup could be. Canterbury GC, Shaker Heights, OH.

1996 US Senior Open −11 (70-67-67-73)=277 This is the winning score by winner Dave Stockton. I played the course a few days before it was closed for competition and for as fast as the greens were every day our guys dropped the blade on the mowers...again! Seriously like putting in a bathtub. When I heard he shot 67 that Friday I was shocked...I had played the course 50 times by then and knowing how deep the rough was...3 of the toughest finishing holes anywhere in the state...and DS seemingly ate it up. By the way memory of a lifetime standing behind Mr. Palmer on the range for an hour watching him...and Gary Player...hit balls.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

First off, Brooks deserved to win. Congrats to him. However, this open was the worst I have watched since Congressional. This felt like a regular tour event which unfortunately isn't what the open is supposed to be. The USGA has been asleep at the wheel and have let the balls and clubs get to hot. I hope they bring the ball back 15% and make the club heads smaller. If not, the USGA should start looking for a title sponsor like all of the regular tour events.

Easy to fix. Narrow the fairways by 20 yards and the winning score is single digit. I doubt you see fw's this wide again.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag