2017 NBA Season (incl Draft / Free Agency)

Tailgater

The Lakers need Ingram and ball to play well this year, so that they appeal as low cost assets. Then they'd need George, lebron, and probably John Wall

If it happens all the Laker fans will come out of the other threads and start positing in here talking about how they have been Laker fans for life. lol....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really like it if the lakers get good, sooner rather than later, im a warriors/bay area sports fan, and i love the la/bay rivalries. My father in law is finally a lakers season ticket holder and he already promised me at least 1 game vs the warriors! If the lakers can make the playoffs that would potentially be more games against the warriors.

To keep this thread on topic, i think the lakers getting lonzo and kuzma and hopefully the development of ingram form a solid foundation for the lakers and add 2 max players in 2018, they'll definitely be contending

They'd be a quasi contender I think. Lebron plus one other star isn't scaring the Warriors. They just annihilated the Cavs.

But Lebron, plus two of Wall, George, boogie is a bit more interesting especially if the Lakers kids play well.

Obviously the Lakers loom, but it's way too early to know anything for sure. At this point with a year to go for KD people thought there was a good chance he was going to Washington.

A lot can happen. Injuries, unexpected contracts (maybe boogie signs in NO or Wall resigns in Washington because Oubre and porter both make huge leaps and he wants the money). Maybe the Celtics orchestrate some godfather trade for Russell Westbrook if he won't sign...

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Another thing to take into consideration is if some of these ultra competitive guys will actually take pay cuts just to build a team to beat the Warriors. I mean they have to know that the way the Warriors basically have 4 "max" type players and three of them playing for less than max contracts, they can't beat that team without taking a pay cut. If you are going to take a cut from say 30 mil to 20 mil (or whatever) then what better place to do it than LA? Not only do you get two guys with ceilings as high as anyone in the league (Ball and Ingram) on rookie deals. But you also get to live in LA and their is a lot value in winning championships for the Lakers instead of say San Antonio or Oklahoma City.

My concern is that Lebron plus Paul George isn't enough to beat the Warriors. They would need someone else. Ball and Ingram could indeed become superstars, but in their 2nd and 3rd seasons respectively to play big minutes on a team that beats Golden State is really asking a lot, and thats NOTHING against those dudes. It's a lot to ask of anyone. Hell look at Karl Towns, the guy got slaughtered in the pick and roll last year and he might have the highest trade value in the entire league! (factoring in he's an RFA so you likely would have him for 6-7yrs)

Based on Lebron's tweets lately , which have been very, very anti-owner and very pro max money for players, i don't see him taking a big pay cut to go to LA to play for a team that prints money. He'll want a big contract, and that means either LA pays a big luxury tax to get 4 guys or they might not have quite enough to beat GSW

A lot can happen in a year. Maybe they do all end up there. But there's certainly other teams that will have a superstar on hand as well as other reliable guys on cheap contracts. I mentioned Boston being one. San Antonio could have already Kawhi Leonard and free enough cap space to add 2 guys and still have reliable dudes like Danny Green and Patty Mills

Also, people laugh if you want, caution i'm about to go REALLY out there....but Philadelphia will have roughly 35M committed for 2018-2019 if they can move Okafor. Let's say Embiid stays healthy, Ben Simmons looks awesome and Markelle Fultz too. They would need to re-sign Embiid that season presumably to a max

Philly could conceivably add 2 superstars (George and Lebron?), and pair them with Embiid, Simmons, Fultz, Saric, Justin Anderson and Jerryd Bayliss. And that's not counting a potential return in trading Robert Covington who has a lot of value

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I also kind of wonder what the deal with Carmelo is. 2 years at 27M per is not that bad for a guy who can score like him, and he is adequate on defense when motivated.

Why is he only agreeing to waive his clause for Houston? does he love New York that much? (it's possible, rumors are he does love living in the city)

Like, I'm sure the Knicks would take Jonas Valenciunas and salary, or Derrick White and Lamarcus Aldridge or something. I mean why not. And Carmelo wouldn't rather play in Toronto or San Antonio?

Toronto seems like a no-brainer. Jonas Valenciunas and their trade exception plus a second rounder or something. I mean they get a 25yr old who is a pretty good post scorer....Toronto is already committed to winning now with older dudes, with Carmelo , Lowry, Derozan, Powell, Ibaka.....i mean, that's good right? Carmelo woudn't do that?

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My concern is that Lebron plus Paul George isn't enough to beat the Warriors. They would need someone else. Ball and Ingram could indeed become superstars, but in their 2nd and 3rd seasons respectively to play big minutes on a team that beats Golden State is really asking a lot, and thats NOTHING against those dudes. It's a lot to ask of anyone. Hell look at Karl Towns, the guy got slaughtered in the pick and roll last year and he might have the highest trade value in the entire league! (factoring in he's an RFA so you likely would have him for 6-7yrs)

Based on Lebron's tweets lately , which have been very, very anti-owner and very pro max money for players, i don't see him taking a big pay cut to go to LA to play for a team that prints money. He'll want a big contract, and that means either LA pays a big luxury tax to get 4 guys or they might not have quite enough to beat GSW

A lot can happen in a year. Maybe they do all end up there. But there's certainly other teams that will have a superstar on hand as well as other reliable guys on cheap contracts. I mentioned Boston being one. San Antonio could have already Kawhi Leonard and free enough cap space to add 2 guys and still have reliable dudes like Danny Green and Patty Mills

Also, people laugh if you want, caution i'm about to go REALLY out there....but Philadelphia will have roughly 35M committed for 2018-2019 if they can move Okafor. Let's say Embiid stays healthy, Ben Simmons looks awesome and Markelle Fultz too. They would need to re-sign Embiid that season presumably to a max

Philly could conceivably add 2 superstars (George and Lebron?), and pair them with Embiid, Simmons, Fultz, Saric, Justin Anderson and Jerryd Bayliss. And that's not counting a potential return in trading Robert Covington who has a lot of value

Philly really does have a lot of flexibility and I agree there are other teams that are less risk than LAL. With that said their really is something special about doing it in LA for the Lakers, I mean anyone that really knows basketball would never argue that Kobe is better than LeBron, but who is/was a bigger star and how much value is that worth converted to dollars? Beating the Warriors is not going to be easy no matter where he goes, could you imagine seeing LeBron in a Philly uniform and losing? It's painful to think of, at least going to LA and failing is a baller move and doesn't feel like MJ to Washington. Having a player like Ball in La and putting trust in Magic and Pelinka is also attractive, not to mention his kids and family live here. I really just don't see the free agent class of next year not forming a super team somewhere strictly with the ambition to beat GS. Maybe it's the homer bias in me (I admit it) but with all things considered I don't see anywhere more attractive than LA. All the Lakers have to do is convince Bron and the other guys will follow, a ton of this depends on Ingrams and Balls play this year.

I also kind of wonder what the deal with Carmelo is. 2 years at 27M per is not that bad for a guy who can score like him, and he is adequate on defense when motivated.

Why is he only agreeing to waive his clause for Houston? does he love New York that much? (it's possible, rumors are he does love living in the city)

Like, I'm sure the Knicks would take Jonas Valenciunas and salary, or Derrick White and Lamarcus Aldridge or something. I mean why not. And Carmelo wouldn't rather play in Toronto or San Antonio?

Toronto seems like a no-brainer. Jonas Valenciunas and their trade exception plus a second rounder or something. I mean they get a 25yr old who is a pretty good post scorer....Toronto is already committed to winning now with older dudes, with Carmelo , Lowry, Derozan, Powell, Ibaka.....i mean, that's good right? Carmelo woudn't do that?

Mello in Portland makes me cringe, that team has first round upset written all over it.

Might be worried his kids would have to learn the metric system.

Minnesota looking to pay Wiggins some serious bread.

He better try on defense all the time for that kind of money!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Minnesota looking to pay Wiggins some serious bread.

He better try on defense all the time for that kind of money!

That's what Thibodaux is there for.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I think y'all will end being wrong about Jayson Tatum, I think he has a lot of defensive upside, and he has the ability to absolutely take over games offensively with his skill-set, just watch

I hope he ends up being really good.

To be honest i'm kinda ready for the big east coast cities to be good again. All this talk of re-alignment or messing with the format i think is dumb. Philly has been mired in the process, New York and Brooklyn have been a joke, Boston rebuilding, Miami rebuilding after scorched earth Lebron.

Boston and Philly in 3 years or so could be really good. How good of course depends on health and young guys.

Eventually the Knicks and Nets will stumble into cap space too. Even with Mozgov and Carroll the Nets will only have 45M committed next year. The way the league is headed is either building through the draft or just signing 3 stars at once. And Brooklyn is a big destination

I'm tired of staying up until 1AM to watch good teams haha

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

:o

http://www.espn.com/...eland-cavaliers

Among several possibilities discussed in Irving's meeting with the Cavaliers, the San Antonio Spurs were raised as a preferred destination, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski

200.gif

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

:o

http://www.espn.com/...eland-cavaliers

Among several possibilities discussed in Irving's meeting with the Cavaliers, the San Antonio Spurs were raised as a preferred destination, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski

200.gif

Wow. I wonder what kind of package the Spurs would have to put together to get him?

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

idk, maybe Aldridge, Patty and Green? i'd hate to see Patty go but would welcome Kyrie if that can be made.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

No way, Minnesota baby!

Irving sure picked a lot of teams with no assets. The wolves have no one to give assuming their core (butler, Wiggins, towns) is untouchable which of course it is.

Would the Celtics and Cavs swap Thomas and Irving? If the Celtics threw in Crowder it might actually make both teams better in some way.

Cavs would be better this year. Celtics get a guy under a reasonable contract for 3 years and don't need to worry about the brinks truck. Irving I think is better at full potential too

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

John Wall signs in Washington.

Just goes to show that no one really knows anything lol. A few weeks ago Simmons was talking about how he and cousins were gonna be a package deal. I guess you stare at 170m long enough...

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Been saying it for months, Cavs should trade LeBron. He is as good as gone, they are complete fools if they let him walk again for free.

Would not be unheard of at this point for sure. I mean if OKC will rent PG for a year some team would rent Lebron

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Had Cleveland known this they could have traded Irving for Paul George or Butler, signed Chris Paul and possible still have Love.

Good point. Not sure what kind of package they could put together for Paul without including Love, though.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I still wonder if Cleveland can pull a rabbit out of their hat here. Love and Irving signed for 3 years are both very solid assets. Maybe they can make moves that actually keep the team as a genuine contender.

I mean Boogie and Paul George both expiring. I'm an OKC fan and i'd rather have Love for 3yrs than George for 1. And wouldn't the Pelicans rather pair Irving with Davis then Boogie?

And isn't Lebron/Boogie/George a better Cavs team?

Like why can't that happen?

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

LBJ has a no trade clause right? Or does that mean he has to agree to a trade?

correct. He would have to waive it in order to facilitate a trade so LeBron would have a lot of say on where he would want to go. Kyrie does not have that clause in his contract so if he wants to get traded, he can specify where he wants to go but if another team offers a better package, the cavs are under no obligation to send him to any of the teams he likes.

Lebron has stated he will not waive his no-trade clause. I was not aware he had one until recently but he said yesterday he would not waive it.

Kyrie making requests on destination is kind of silly as Tocino points out. Since he is signed for multiple years there are many teams that would take a chance on him even if they are not a preferred destination of his.

Zach Lowe mentioned today the idea of a Irving / Boogie swap which i still really like!

People seem to think that Cleveland still feels they have a shot at keeping Lebron, so i imagine any deal they make will need to involve guys that can win now.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

When big men ruled the league, the thought of playing a 6'8 guy at center would've seemed ridiculous. Marc Cuban said a really smart thing once and that was that zigging when everyone else is zagging if done right can be very good strategy (paraphrasing)

Lumbering big men don't have much place in the league right now. But the whole reason this happened is because they stopped developing their post up games. If i could pinpoint a specific incident where the big man truly died, it was 4-5 years ago when the Bucks had Jerryd Bayless cover Joaquim Noah in the playoffs, essentially saying "you don't post up, so we'll guard you with a guy who's 6'3 and dare you to beat us. And he couldn't....After that it was like "well why not just play a guy who's 6'6 then?"

But the league has zigged so far in one direction that a dominant big man could really cause a lot of problems if he could stay on the court. Karl Towns averaged something like 28-13 on 60-40 shooting splits for half a season last year as a 21yr old. He is even more poised to wreck the league than an Anthony Davis because Towns actually posts up and can finish with either hand. If Minnesota actually becomes good, Towns will be a major issue because you cannot cover him with a guy who is 6'9.Boogie is the best true post up player in the league right now. I think on the right team he could be deadly. Especially being covered by much smaller guys

Someone told me recently that "Shaq couldn't play in 2017".....my answer to him was "are you serious????? Shaq would be MORE effective in 2017". He was so athletic that he'd have stayed a bit trimmer so he could hedge out more (think rookie shaq) and probably hung 40-20's every second night on helpless little guys

Deschamps Crisp Antique