2017 NBA Season (incl Draft / Free Agency)

Tailgater

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When big men ruled the league, the thought of playing a 6'8 guy at center would've seemed ridiculous. Marc Cuban said a really smart thing once and that was that zigging when everyone else is zagging if done right can be very good strategy (paraphrasing)

Lumbering big men don't have much place in the league right now. But the whole reason this happened is because they stopped developing their post up games. If i could pinpoint a specific incident where the big man truly died, it was 4-5 years ago when the Bucks had Jerryd Bayless cover Joaquim Noah in the playoffs, essentially saying "you don't post up, so we'll guard you with a guy who's 6'3 and dare you to beat us. And he couldn't....After that it was like "well why not just play a guy who's 6'6 then?"

But the league has zigged so far in one direction that a dominant big man could really cause a lot of problems if he could stay on the court. Karl Towns averaged something like 28-13 on 60-40 shooting splits for half a season last year as a 21yr old. He is even more poised to wreck the league than an Anthony Davis because Towns actually posts up and can finish with either hand. If Minnesota actually becomes good, Towns will be a major issue because you cannot cover him with a guy who is 6'9.Boogie is the best true post up player in the league right now. I think on the right team he could be deadly. Especially being covered by much smaller guys

Someone told me recently that "Shaq couldn't play in 2017".....my answer to him was "are you serious????? Shaq would be MORE effective in 2017". He was so athletic that he'd have stayed a bit trimmer so he could hedge out more (think rookie shaq) and probably hung 40-20's every second night on helpless little guys

If I'm Cleveland I try to get Kyrie to stay, if he doesn't I really like the Boogie trade but if LeBron were to leave they would be left with nothing as Cousins would not sign. Cleveland needs some insurance in the form of young talent or picks. Boston makes sense for just about every trade, they need to dump IT before the Brinks truck rolls around the corner.

Yeah that's why i like the Love trade for OKC. Because Love would be a nice floor spacer and secondary creator for Russ, and he seems pretty content with life these days. Kevin could put up 24-12's and Russ could put up 30-10-10 for a few seasons, be a martyr who stayed home and be the modern guy who all the "old school" players like.

I am not sure Russ can be a superteam guy. But give him Kevin Love, go 53-29 every year and call it a day. Clay Bennett will make money and all.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

When big men ruled the league, the thought of playing a 6'8 guy at center would've seemed ridiculous. Marc Cuban said a really smart thing once and that was that zigging when everyone else is zagging if done right can be very good strategy (paraphrasing)

Lumbering big men don't have much place in the league right now. But the whole reason this happened is because they stopped developing their post up games. If i could pinpoint a specific incident where the big man truly died, it was 4-5 years ago when the Bucks had Jerryd Bayless cover Joaquim Noah in the playoffs, essentially saying "you don't post up, so we'll guard you with a guy who's 6'3 and dare you to beat us. And he couldn't....After that it was like "well why not just play a guy who's 6'6 then?"

But the league has zigged so far in one direction that a dominant big man could really cause a lot of problems if he could stay on the court. Karl Towns averaged something like 28-13 on 60-40 shooting splits for half a season last year as a 21yr old. He is even more poised to wreck the league than an Anthony Davis because Towns actually posts up and can finish with either hand. If Minnesota actually becomes good, Towns will be a major issue because you cannot cover him with a guy who is 6'9.Boogie is the best true post up player in the league right now. I think on the right team he could be deadly. Especially being covered by much smaller guys

Someone told me recently that "Shaq couldn't play in 2017".....my answer to him was "are you serious????? Shaq would be MORE effective in 2017". He was so athletic that he'd have stayed a bit trimmer so he could hedge out more (think rookie shaq) and probably hung 40-20's every second night on helpless little guys

If I'm Cleveland I try to get Kyrie to stay, if he doesn't I really like the Boogie trade but if LeBron were to leave they would be left with nothing as Cousins would not sign. Cleveland needs some insurance in the form of young talent or picks. Boston makes sense for just about every trade, they need to dump IT before the Brinks truck rolls around the corner.

Yeah i think there's something there too, i just have a hard time seeing Cleveland trade with Boston, because if they do and then lose to Boston in the playoffs, i don't think that will go over well.

I think they will trade Kyrie. Lebron really seems to be a grudge-holder. I can't imagine how the early season would go after everything has come out. I think even Lowe wrote today that Cleveland is actively trying to deal him and open to it, they just want a good return

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Yeah i think there's something there too, i just have a hard time seeing Cleveland trade with Boston, because if they do and then lose to Boston in the playoffs, i don't think that will go over well.

I think they will trade Kyrie. Lebron really seems to be a grudge-holder. I can't imagine how the early season would go after everything has come out. I think even Lowe wrote today that Cleveland is actively trying to deal him and open to it, they just want a good return

Actually, I can see Lebron forcing the Cavs to trade Kyrie this season but still end up leaving next year BECAUSE he's such a grudge-holder... I just can't see him staying due to Gilbert and what a way to screw over your old employer by getting rid of your other best player and forcing them back into lotttery hell for the foreseeable future

I'm 100% aboard the Boogie to Cleveland train (though it pains me to break up the Boogie/Davis pairing). Boogie wants to win more than anything and having a total alpha male like Lebron around can only help. Also, Lebron has no issue being a facilitator and will get Boogie touches on the block. Make it happen Cleveland!

According to Stephen A Smith LBJ would be tempted to fight Kyrie at this point? SAS claims that came from a source directly in LBJ's camp.

Ahh yes, Stephen A. Smith, where I get all of my legitimate info from.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I wonder if the Spurs are outsmarting people again here. The Lakers are getting a ton of love for zeroing out their payroll for next year, but the Spurs have only 35M in guaranteed money committed. Lamarcus Aldridge could ruin that by opting in, but the rest of their player options guys will probably opt out given their age. If Aldridge opts out they would have space to chase some serious big game.

I wonder if they said this season was CP3 or bust, and then decided to just punt 2017-2018 when he went to Houston, try and get Kawhi the MVP (he's the favorite right?) and then try to hit a home run next year when they have a ton of cap space and the free agent crop is insane.

So next year they could offer the group of Kawhi , highly respected Patty Mills, young Derrick White and Dejounte Murray with Pop as coach.....And they could potentially sign two max players from the long list of Lebron, Westbrook, Paul George, Boogie.....

I mean LA is the big city, but 70M of cap space and Kawhi is one heck of a lure

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I look for the spurs to have a really solid year again, and I don't think Aldridge be on this team by the time the trade deadline rolls around. it would be incredible if kyrie and Aldridge get swapped out teams. this would allow for KI and Kawhi to be on the same team. talk about a stellar center pieces with both of them being under 27 these guys could potentially be 2 long time spurs. I think Kawhi's game is something that can play with anyone, and Kyrie having the ability to score 30 any given night would make two centerpieces that can give the warriors a real run. Someone needs to challenge the monster that is golden state, and this could be the beginning to do it.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I am pissed because my pacers have looked like they have put together a team that might be good enough to win 35 this year which might just get them into the playoffs in the east. I really wanted to see them tank, so they could have a shot a Michael Porter Jr. There hasn't been a superstar sign with this team in my life time, and the only way good players come here is to draft them. this kid looks like he may be the best thing to come along in awhile.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

You never know, i think that there will be a ton of movement this year. Teams that we don't think are tanking might tank. Guys that are not good teams might be able to steal players if they want to try. Case in point is what OKC gave up for Paul George.

I think guys like Marc Gasol and Mike Conley could become available. I think Boogie could become available, i think George could become available again. Kevin Love and Kyrie could both move, Andre Drummond, Lillard or McCollum, Harrison Barnes......teams with cap space can act as 3rd parties in multi player deals too

I think once the season starts a lot of teams in the West are gonna say "F this" and unload guys. No reason for Memphis to finish 9th with a bunch of 30yr olds

Indiana has no money committed next season (2018-2019). If Myles Turner looks really good maybe they can trade for someone and then sign guys in the offseason

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Maybe if we can get a few East teams to tank, the hornets might make the playoffs. Kemba puts up stats but he's just not dominate enough to take a team deep in the playoffs. Maybe if he could play off the ball some. I hope Monk comes in and lights it up!

I have the Hornets as a surefire playoff team in the East as it stands. Id pick them for the #6 seed right now

Boston, Cleveland, Toronto, Milwaukee, Washington are better.

Other than that who is better then Charlotte? Kemba, Monk, 50 games of MKG (let's be realistic), Batum and Dwight Howard. With Marvin Williams, the very solid Cody Zeller and Frank Kaminsky off the bench. I think Charlotte is going to be a 45-37 type team and that's definitely playoffs.

In fact they are a team that might surprise some people and compete with the Wizards/Raptors/Bucks trifecta depending on how they gel.

They aren't really bad anywhere. And in the East that's pretty good

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

the hornets should be solid this year. I look for Milwaukee to have a huge year as well. Giannis is going to have a break out season and put up serious numbers. this kid is the real deal, and I look forward to watching the bucks get the #3 seed this season.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Andrew Wiggins really has a lot to prove this year. It's obvious that he's very talented, but the irony is he is facing a lot of the same questions that Kevin Love faced when traded to Cleveland (for Wiggins). He has all the tools, but is yet to prove he can do the things needed to win games like be a lockdown defender and genuinely care on that end 100% of the time.

He won't get the looks he's used to this year, he'll be their 3rd option. He'll average 18-19 a game instead of 24.

He needs to be Andre Iguodala for them, not Demar Derozan

I found it interesting that the Wolves owner Glen Taylor was very open in saying he has no issue paying Wiggins, but he made very clear that he's paying him not because of how good he is. But because of what they think he should be

When Wiggins was drafted i thought he would be a 20ppg guy who was a lockdown defender. His career trajectory has been more towards scoring which i didn't see coming. And he has given up playing hard on defense full time which has also been discussed.This year with Butler on board, it's what i felt Wiggins true destiny was, #3 option who takes the opponents best guy. He needs to be that guy this year. If you read between the lines that's what Taylor is saying

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be stunned if Ante Zizic didn't factor into their plans for the second half of this year. Don't think he's getting any summer league action but I know they just signed him to a deal and he's with the team working out.

Well, LOL, when I said "plans" I didn't see them packaging him up and shipping him out of town.

But I love this trade for Boston. I just didn't get the sense they wanted to max out IT under any circumstances. I think this year is literally the absolute best, maxed out that he can play. This is the ultimate "sell high" time for him. With his size (and potential injury) if they weren't going to pay him this is the move to make.

And I'm not even that worried about giving up the Brooklyn pick. They still have the LAL pick (at 2-5) and you're essentially using the pick on a superstar player who may not even be in his prime yet.

BTW if there are no objections I changed the thread title since we're only a month from camp opening.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Interested to see how these trades work out in 3 years with Boston passing on Porter/Bagley and Flutz.

My guess is they saw some of the moves Brooklyn made and thought they'd be a bit better too. Like maybe the pick is like #6 or something which is more a crapshoot

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I love the trade for both teams. It makes the most sense. I just can't believe the top two contenders in a conference traded with each other.

I think it works out for Boston. They pass on fultz but it works out because he'd be a poor fit with Kyrie. They trade the Brooklyn pick for great value when it's possible with Lavert, Russell, Carroll etc that Brooklyn isn't completely awful.

I didn't like all of the Celtics moves but with the picture somewhat complete now they did really well

And Cleveland got a likewise talent to Irving, a very good wing, and a draft pick they can use if lebron leaves or potentially trade if he commits.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Quite an interesting trade.

I understand why Celts fans may not like trading the BKN pick but with so many assets, it's time to start consolidating them into stars. They got a Top 15 player in the league with Championship experience that is still young.

Meanwhile, there is no telling if IT2 can fully recover from his injury and his game is built in a way that is unlikely to age well with his size. I love IT2 though so I hope I'm wrong.

My hope is the Cavs take the pick and try to package it for another star. Something like Pick + TT + others for Pat Bev + DeAndre would be pretty interesting (or Marc Gasol). Cavs will probably have Wade by playoff time and will have a nice little bench with Rose / Crowder. It should be interesting to see if a few more big moves like this makes LeBron hesitant to leave.

Of Lebron commits to staying (and only then) would I trade the pick. But yeah, something like Thompson and the pick would be a massive haul. A guy like Marc Gasol sure that might be in play

I still think guys like Eric Bledsoe, Harrison Barnes, Gary Harris... They could get packages of these guys plus something else in three way deals, they could flip Love for someone straight up

Cleveland can do a lot of stuff if lebron wants to stay.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Like Dallas would do the pick for Harrison Barnes and like Seth Curry in a heartbeat right? (plus salary or trade exceptions)

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Issue is Brooklyn in the east might not be terrible which I think Boston realized. Crabbe, Russell, lavert, booker, Carroll, Hollis Jefferson.... Those are actual nba players and the nets, most importantly, will be trying all season.

The pick is probably more likely in 5-10 range

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Haha no, he looks amazingly skilled.

Bagley looks like he will generate about 1000 twitter OMG highlights per year too

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Great trade for C's. Hate giving up the Nets pick, that said imo probably won't be a lottery pick. Crowder was obviously going to see less playing time and no way Danny was going to give IT a max contract. Zizic could be a steal for the Cavs. Will be watching that for sure. Good chance that IT bolts for max contract, some team or two will bite.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

I think the Celtics are going to be better than people think, the few podcasts i've listened to like the trade, but are still questioning the "how good are the Celtics and is this the endgame they wanted with all those assets"

It's a valid question. But i think Hayward is very underrated, he's a very good defender, a good pick and roll playmaker who may be the primary "point guard" on the Celtics, and he was the best player on a 50 win team. Everything he does helps the team. Kyrie is instant offense, Marcus Smart is their best defender. Tatum is so polished he will probably contribute a bit.

My guess is their crunch time 5 will be Smart/Irving/Brown/Hayward/Horford. If Brown develops like most think you have 4 above average defenders and a team that will be top 10 offensively and defensively, with a guy who's had 40pt games in the finals against the Warriors, and one of the most versatile second options in the league.

And they didn't mortgage anything. Kevin O'Conner at the Ringer has said many times (not sure i agree but still) that Jayson Tatum might end up the best player from this draft

Deschamps Crisp Antique