Chambers Bay 7/9/2017

Jhuttster

So played Chambers Bay yesterday and as much as I love the layout, vistas, shot values etc...I won't be going back anytime soon. The greens are in a word...awful. I know there was story about letting the poa anna take over the greens and eradicating the fine fescue...but in the process of them doing that...the greens are simply horrific. They are so splotchy with all the grasses intermingled it's hard to read...impossible to find pitch marks(until your putt rolls over one) and they are bumpy. The worst of all was #7...see 1st pic below...literally looked like a waffle iron...we deemed it unplayable took two putts and moved on. Some of the greens had patches of poa already plugged in(#1 green in pic2-3) and those patches ran about 2 feet faster than the fine fescue...made your putting a challenge to say the least if you had to lag through one. Those patches however were really smooth...a sign of a very solid future for the course once the poa takes over completely.

It also appeared to me...somewhat visible in the first pic... that they have either a major fungus/mold issue for have been hydro seeding the greens somewhat. They have a bluish hint to them and this is very visible from distance...once you get on them if you look closely you can see what appears to be seeds in and amongst the fine fescue. I'm no agronomist by any slice of any pie so I just have my own opinion here...it's likely wrong but that's what it looked like.

Anyway...just wanted to report as I know many around here have plans to play down there...my .02 is skip it...it's not worth the money right now. The rest of the course is in very good shape...fairways are tight and semi lush...bunkers were good..the staff is great...they have moved the range back to it's original spot just north of the caddie shack/snacks bar. The second putting/chipping green between 1 and 10 tees is looking like they are letting it die...? Like I said...for the money and bang for the buck, play the Home Course...Salish, Olympic, Whitehorse instead...all much better right now.

post-325719-0-39997700-1499710999.jpg

post-325719-0-27105600-1499711132.jpg

post-325719-0-54129300-1499711231.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I was also at Chambers yesterday and the greens were bad. They were running slow and the very bumpy on any putts within 10 feet. I last played there in October of 2015 and they had 3 greens closed with temps set up. I think the greens are actually worse now than a few months after the US Open.

A few articles have been circulating today about Chambers completely switching to Poa, but I have no idea where they stand now. I would love to hear more details, but I can't imagine they will be in good shape any time soon. Which is a shame, because as the OP mentions, the rest of the course is in great shape. I think it is one of the most fun courses out there and it could be really great with decent greens.

Article yesterday on this very topic:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/chambers-bay-to-change-greens-from-fine-fescue-to-poa-annua

Glad I got to play there some years ago, when the greens were all fescue. It really was superb (and a lot cheaper).

Won't be long before we're saying that about Bandon greens.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

My personal opinion is quite cynical, but the situation at Chambers Bay currently is best described as complex.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

There's a lot that can be done to encourage the poa to hybridize into proliferating laterally and not popping the huge seed pods. The poa annua is inevitable. Might as well start the process and in 20 years you'll have a nice surface.

The big rectangles of different grass on the greens is POA they purposely planted so it'll take over. I played Chambers on the 10th as well but I didn't mind the greens. They look bad but I didn't have any putts that bounced offline...I putted poorly but it wasn't because the greens. I actually thought the greens were faster than they've been.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Chambers Bay replay voucher that allows someone to play for $75... I am willing to part ways with it cheap. PM me if you are looking to get out there this year and don't want to pay $250 plus.

I played there 2 weeks after the US Open and the greens were pretty beat up but it wasn't unplayable and honestly they were still quick. Love the layout, hopefully they get some of the "issues" figured out long term.

I played Chambers two weeks ago, beautiful day to be out there! I thought aside from the greens, the course was in immaculate shape and played very well. I think people need to lower their expectations for the immediate future whilst they let the Poa takeover. I'd play there more often if I lived in the area, love the majority of the holes. Didn't like starting on #10 however, finishing on a Par 3 isn't my ideal finishing hole. I like what they've done with the pre round routine of shuttling down to the practice area, very convenient and mentally engages you.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

I played Chambers two weeks ago, beautiful day to be out there! I thought aside from the greens, the course was in immaculate shape and played very well. I think people need to lower their expectations for the immediate future whilst they let the Poa takeover. I'd play there more often if I lived in the area, love the majority of the holes. Didn't like starting on #10 however, finishing on a Par 3 isn't my ideal finishing hole. I like what they've done with the pre round routine of shuttling down to the practice area, very convenient and mentally engages you.

$410 Cdn ($275 + 14.9% tax + 30% exchange rate) for a course with poor greens??????

$410 Cdn ($275 + 14.9% tax + 30% exchange rate) for a course with poor greens??????

For that rate, I would expect nothing less than perfect however there are $125 twilight fees that pop up every now & again that are more reasonable.

ProV1

It's a solid walk, depends on the weather though. If there's a nice Ocean breeze the walk is fine but when the wind is down and heat up, it can be a grind even if your in good shape.

ProV1

• 5 months later...

Bump on this topic, anybody been to Chambers recently? I was planning to play it in late March.

Played there in mid December and again on Monday 1/15 - had a discounted round voucher from my round in Dec. I lucked out both times and got blue bird days with no wind/rain/clouds. Course overall was in great shape, temp greens on 7, 10 and 13. Some of the greens roll just fine and others are bumpy which is kind of expected there until the greens are fully transitioned. It is a great winter course due to how well it drains.

I'd definitely play it if it is your first time since it is a fun course. Since it looks like you are coming in from out of town, will you be playing any other rounds? Need suggestions? PM me if so

Bump on this topic, anybody been to Chambers recently? I was planning to play it in late March.

Played there in mid December and again on Monday 1/15 - had a discounted round voucher from my round in Dec. I lucked out both times and got blue bird days with no wind/rain/clouds. Course overall was in great shape, temp greens on 7, 10 and 13. Some of the greens roll just fine and others are bumpy which is kind of expected there until the greens are fully transitioned. It is a great winter course due to how well it drains.

I'd definitely play it if it is your first time since it is a fun course. Since it looks like you are coming in from out of town, will you be playing any other rounds? Need suggestions? PM me if so

Thanks, I think I will keep my plans as is then. Hopefully by late March things will improve some.

Yeah, it's the only course. I have a trip to Bandon scheduled the following week. So I'm heading up to Seattle to play there with a friend of mine and then immediately drive down to Bandon.

Thanks, I think I will keep my plans as is then. Hopefully by late March things will improve some.

Yeah, it's the only course. I have a trip to Bandon scheduled the following week. So I'm heading up to Seattle to play there with a friend of mine and then immediately drive down to Bandon.

Nice. The other option I would suggest is The Home Course in Dupont. Either would be a great warm up round for Bandon. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm looking to make a long weekend trip up to Seattle this summer and was wondering if anyone on here had done The Championship Experience package before?

https://www.chambersbaygolf.com/championship-experience/

If I'm understanding this correctly, and I think that I am, It looks like a really solid package deal.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 - Fuji Pro 63x Tour Spec
Callaway Rogue 15 - Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.5
Taylormade TP UDI 3 iron - X100 AMT Tour Issue
Mizuno 919T 4-9- X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 46 - X100 AMT Tour White
Mizuno T7 50, 56, & 60 - S400 Tour Issue
Taylormade TP Ardmore 3

Just an update on my trip, I need to give props to Chambers. I emailed and explained that I needed to get an early tee time so that I can hit the road and get to Bandon for the 'draft' that night (drinking and betting). They completely understood and booked a tee time for me. This was about 50 days out from the tee time. A very kind gesture and I am very appreciative of it. Just goes to show that customer service is still alive and especially at Chambers Bay.