2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kuchar is such a nice guy I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster he was on thru the back 9.

To go from 3 down, to 2 up and then in a matter of two holes be back down by 1 it's got to mess with his head. I am sure the 30 minute delay didn't help him but who would have thought Jordan could come back from that mess with a birdie and eagle.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Now for everybody else...

I am gutted for Matt Kuchar. He got the lead and then Jordan went all Road Runner BEEP! BEEP! and it was over. When he won the US Amateur and played so well at the US Open, I thought he'd win some majors in the future. I hope he gets one before it's too late.

Haotong Li is on his way to The Masters. I hope he brings his mom, there are quite a few water hazards at Augusta. The Masters Tournament will probably get enough extra money off the Chinese that they can buy the rest of the county.

Rory is rounding into form it seems and he's won at Quail Hollow twice before.

Matthew Southgate will get in to the British Open next year at his home course at Carnoustie. His story is a remarkable one as he's overcome cancer to get back to the tour.

Austin Connelly, is 20, looks 14 even with the scruff and also looks like he weighs a hundred pounds with the clubs. I was impressed. Is #203 too far down the list to be a President's Cup wildcard?

I didn't see the tournament, but I thought if you declare a ball unplayable, you drop a ball within two club lengths of the spot where the ball is sitting, but no nearer the hole. How did he get to drop so far back?

Three options basically. That's one. Hit from original spot is another. Third, and what he elected, is a line from the flag back behind the ball as far back as you want to go. (I'm paraphrasing it).

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

I didn't see the tournament, but I thought if you declare a ball unplayable, you drop a ball within two club lengths of the spot where the ball is sitting, but no nearer the hole. How did he get to drop so far back?

RULE 28- Ball Unplayable

All defined terms are in italics and are listed alphabetically in the Definitions section.

The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.

If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:

a.

Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b.

Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c.

Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.

If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker.

When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.

Penalty for Breach of Rule:

Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

Kuchar is such a nice guy I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster he was on thru the back 9.

To go from 3 down, to 2 up and then in a matter of two holes be back down by 1 it's got to mess with his head. I am sure the 30 minute delay didn't help him but who would have thought Jordan could come back from that mess with a birdie and eagle.

Kuchar was like a field goal kicker who gets the "freeze" treatment by the opposing team's time out.

Except in this case, it worked.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Imagine how much Spieth could be winning if he could be a little less wild off the tee.

Today was another great day for pro golf.

True. But hitting down the middle of every fairway would be way less exciting. Palmer, Seve and others made their name on getting out of jams. Watson's chip on 17 at Pebble couldn't have happened if he hit the middle of the green. Mickelson's iron from the trees on 13 at Augusta. Things that make the all-time highlight reels usually come from one fairway over.

Kuchar was like a field goal kicker who gets the "freeze" treatment by the opposing team's time out.

Kuch was fine. Tough to beat 5 under in 4 straight holes.

i am so bummed that i fell asleep after hole no 10!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

i thought last year was good

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Should I watch the DVR?

According to basic info I saw, Mr. Spieth started with a 3 shot lead, shot 1 under and won by 3. Anything worth watching?

Yeah, you should watch. Apart from the Spieth-Kuchar battle a couple of other guys had very nice performances, and there were some sweet scenes coming up the 18th fairway.

As for the Spieth-Kuchar confrontation, things became pretty interesting on the inward nine, and you certainly do not want to miss the complete unfolding of the adventure at #13. Enjoy the show.

Not shitposting legitimately confused on this. If Speith's ball was in play why did he get to drop behind the hill it was not where he entered. Not sure on the rule, can someone explain?

Penalty drop. Took it as far back as he could in line with the pin and then got line of sight relief. Good break to be able to have a nice lie but he certainly made the most of it.

Might have been different if Matt could have holed for a birdie giving a potential 3 stroke lead.

I am not keen on Jordan at all but only ever really seen Jack or Tiger will the ball into the hole like he did after that. An amazing finish.

Great win for Jordan, but you've never seen Jack or Tiger will the ball into the hole??? Holy Cow...

Well done to JS for winning this. Gutted it out and won the Open. Pretty impressive. However, not the guy I really like to watch and this really doesn't change that. I guess I was hoping for a tournament like last year, that was one for the ages. Kuch is a great guy, but the two of them did not really light it up for me.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

Not shitposting legitimately confused on this. If Speith's ball was in play why did he get to drop behind the hill it was not where he entered. Not sure on the rule, can someone explain?

Penalty drop. Took it as far back as he could in line with the pin and then got line of sight relief. Good break to be able to have a nice lie but he certainly made the most of it.

Might have been different if Matt could have holed for a birdie giving a potential 3 stroke lead.

I am not keen on Jordan at all but only ever really seen Jack or Tiger will the ball into the hole like he did after that. An amazing finish.

Great win for Jordan, but you've never seen Jack or Tiger will the ball into the hole??? Holy Cow...

I think you misunderstood what he meant. He was putting Jordan in the same class as those two.

During the #13 debacle with Spieth I had to shut off the NBC commentators. And even turn off CC.

They kept on droning on and on "just go back to the tee-box and rehit your drive..." etc etc

If Jordan took their advice he makes no lower than a 6.

Jordan proceeds to make one of the most interesting bogey 5s (and important ones) I've ever seen.

...didn't catch them correct themselves after the hole!

During the #13 debacle with Spieth I had to shut off the NBC commentators. And even turn off CC.

They kept on droning on and on "just go back to the tee-box and rehit your drive..." etc etc

If Jordan took their advice he makes no lower than a 6.

Jordan proceeds to make one of the most interesting bogey 5s (and important ones) I've ever seen.

...didn't catch them correct themselves after the hole!

I was watching on the official website's 3 hole coverage. they were clueless too, instead of discussing his options, what distance he had left, what hazards hed have to carry, etc.... you know the important stuff about the upcoming shot, they mostly just dragged on about how far right he hit it. yeah we got that from the pro tracer

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Man, hadn't thought about but Kuchar played holes 14-17 in 2 under par. And dropped 3 strokes to Spieth in the process.

Kuchar played great.

He had a one shot lead after the 13th ... played the next 4 holes in 2-under ... and finds himself two behind on the 18th tee .. he's just been run over by one of the all-time great finishes down the stretch at a Major.

I'll definitely be rooting for Kuch to win his first Major after today :)

INCREDIBLE drama for that final round. Fantastic turnaround from Spieth. What a grinder !!!

Kudos to to Li Haotong to make 7 birdies in his last 11 holes to grab 3rd, and Marc Leishman to "win the weekend" with 66-65 and haul himself up to T6 after making the cut right on the line. Great result for Matthew Southgate as well.

Great stories everywhere ... The Open truly is the best Major of the lot ... :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

That last hour or so was some of the best golf I've ever seen coming down the stretch in a Major. And I thought Jordan was falling apart under the pressure. Wow!

A shot in front, Kuchar played 14-17 par-birdie-par-birdie and lost three shots to Jordan's birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie - Kooch was simply steam-rolled by the Speith Express. Just sublime golf to watch live - Jordan is the man!

That last hour or so was some of the best golf I've ever seen coming down the stretch in a Major. And I thought Jordan was falling apart under the pressure. Wow!

A shot in front, Kuchar played 14-17 par-birdie-par-birdie and lost three shots to Jordan's birdie-eagle-birdie-birdie - Kooch was simply steam-rolled by the Speith Express. Just sublime golf to watch live - Jordan is the man!

Of all the major championship golf Ive watched (lots), that has to be the most memorable finish. I wonder if the long delay @ #13 made him speed up afterward, and that just helped him play better, less self-conscious golf. Whatever, something dramatically changed with him after that hole (or maybe during)

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Ya but somehow kuch went into 14 up played it Par-Birdie-Par-Birdie and came out two down, not exactly a choke

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Of all the major championship golf Ive watched (lots), that has to be the most memorable finish. I wonder if the long delay @ #13 made him speed up afterward, and that just helped him play better, less self-conscious golf. Whatever, something dramatically changed with him after that hole (or maybe during)

You may have a point here.

Spieth prepares for Quail Hollow by playing continuously with Rickie Fowler, imitating his pace of play the best he can.

Spieth shoots 45 under par to win the PGA by 32 stokes and completes the career grand slam. Called it.