2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn something new on here every day - knowing the rules is the same as bending the rules is that right?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I have deleted my original post in case it caused anyone offence!

What I was trying to say was that after hitting into deep grass on a sand dune with no chance to get near the green with next shot, and with the risk of a high score (see Justin Thomas's 9 earlier), using a couple of rules to his advantage the player was able to take the next shot from a perfect lie with a clear shot at the green...it appeared that this was a fairly good outcome from what could have been a big number. Not suggesting anything wrong happened....maybe "bending rules" was poor choice of phrase. He used the rules to get a good advantage. Was a great last five holes though.

What I was trying to say was that after hitting into deep grass on a sand dune with no chance to get near the green with next shot, and with the risk of a high score (see Justin Thomas's 9 earlier), using a couple of rules to his advantage the player was able to take the next shot from a perfect lie with a clear shot at the green...it appeared that this was a fairly good outcome from what could have been a big number. Not suggesting anything wrong happened....maybe "bending rules" was poor choice of phrase. He used the rules to get a good advantage. Was a great last five holes though.

He made his next shot from farther and with an added penalty shot. So it was not like he got something free.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

He made his next shot from farther and with an added penalty shot. So it was not like he got something free.

Jordan is so good he just made it look like he got something for free :)

I think if he "bent" anything it would be on the time that it took to make the call. I recall (I don't have it recorded) R&A officials saying a few times "The first drop will happen here", and Jordan kept walking around asking about going to different spots. I actually laughed out loud when he asked about dropping in the TV tower.

Even though he was fully within his rights, I think it was obvious the two things he was trying to do:

1 - get to a distance he liked

2 - giving himself time to calm down

I'll be honest. If I was Kutcher, I would have hit, walked to the top of the mound, stared down, looked at my watch, throw up my hands, walked up to the green. I give massive props to Kutch for being as patient as he was.

I'll be honest. If I was Kutcher, I would have hit, walked to the top of the mound, stared down, looked at my watch, throw up my hands, walked up to the green. I give massive props to Kutch for being as patient as he was.

Why would Kuchar ruin his own game by getting heated? I bet Kuchar would have done the same thing, perhaps even more tediously...

edit. name...

Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Vokey wedges

I think if he "bent" anything it would be on the time that it took to make the call. I recall (I don't have it recorded) R&A officials saying a few times "The first drop will happen here", and Jordan kept walking around asking about going to different spots. I actually laughed out loud when he asked about dropping in the TV tower.

Even though he was fully within his rights, I think it was obvious the two things he was trying to do:

1) The video is in the rules folder with the time of relief marked out. You will see that what you think happened did not actually happen.

2) Throwing up your hands and making a scene would not speed anything up, and would only serve to make you angrier and more off your game.

3) If I were Kutcher I would be home, with Mila Kunis, and I would hardly ever leave the house!

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

1) The video is in the rules folder with the time of relief marked out. You will see that what you think happened did not actually happen.

2) Throwing up your hands and making a scene would not speed anything up, and would only serve to make you angrier and more off your game.

3) If I were Kutcher I would be home, with Mila Kunis, and I would hardly ever leave the house!

Warfelg, if it's any consolation, you have lots of company with the part of the Vindog's post that I bolded above.

Jordan is so good he just made it look like he got something for free :)

Like a "Get Out of Jail Free" card???

That's one difference between you and Kucher. Kucher wasn't impacted by the delay and went par, par, birdie, par, birdie beginning on the 13th. He handled the delay just fine.

That's one difference between you and Kucher. Kucher wasn't impacted by the delay and went par, par, birdie, par, birdie beginning on the 13th. He handled the delay just fine.

Kuchar has to be one of the nicest guys and best guys to get paired up with on Tour, he always seems to be smiling. He handled the situation with class, took a knee and focused on what he needed to do rather than getting steamed that Spieth was taking so long. I hope he wins a Major because he will make the golf HoF a better place.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how long it took Rory to hit his shot on 15 in round 2 when he had the sign post ruled a moveable object and had the maintenance crew come out and take it down? I don't hear anyone griping and moaning about that. (For the record I'm not complaining about Rory) Jordan's not the only one trying to grind out the best score he possibly can within the rules.

Ok.....that's what I'm admitting. I admit if I was able to play out there I would be hated. I play quickly, without excessive delays. And I'll admit Jordan does do a lot of things that bug me. I get that he's trying to get the best possible outcome from a bad situation, but to me there's also a point where it shouldn't be taking this long.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how long it took Rory to hit his shot on 15 in round 2 when he had the sign post ruled a moveable object and had the maintenance crew come out and take it down? I don't hear anyone griping and moaning about that. (For the record I'm not complaining about Rory) Jordan's not the only one trying to grind out the best score he possibly can within the rules.

Not sure. But from the sounds of it they know pretty fast that he just had to play it from where he was and the wait was for them to get there with a spanner/allen wrench to remove the sign.

Not sure. But from the sounds of it they know pretty fast that he just had to play it from where he was and the wait was for them to get there with a spanner/allen wrench to remove the sign.

I think Jordan knew pretty quickly that he wanted to take an unplayable and the wait was just figuring out if the range was OB, getting the drop properly in line with the ball and pin, figuring out where he could get TIO relief from each spot, etc. He needed to get these right. He was on tv after all. Ask Lexi.

I think Jordan knew pretty quickly that he wanted to take an unplayable and the wait was just figuring out if the range was OB, getting the drop properly in line with the ball and pin, figuring out where he could get TIO relief from each spot, etc. He needed to get these right. He was on tv after all. Ask Lexi.

https://theringer.com/jordan-spieth-open-championship-shackhouse-podcast-d76ebd8eac23

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Kuch had an opportunity to put more pressure on Speith and the officials by going over and asking what was taking so long, fist bumping Speith after a 20 minute interuption after being warned about time repeatedly was very generous of spirit, maybe if he refuses and tells Speith to hurry up and play his shot in hes been waiting long enough it could have had an effect. But aw shucks hes just a lovely guy.

Kuch had an opportunity to put more pressure on Speith and the officials by going over and asking what was taking so long, fist bumping Speith after a 20 minute interuption after being warned about time repeatedly was very generous of spirit, maybe if he refuses and tells Speith to hurry up and play his shot in hes been waiting long enough it could have had an effect. But aw shucks hes just a lovely guy.

Tell Jordan to hurry up? You mean "Hurry up and get the ruling"? How does that work?

I'm not sure some of you most vociferous critics actually watched what happened. Also, if roles had been reversed, and Kuchar had a situation that took that long, would you post, "Kuchar clearly effected Spieth and Jordan should have walked over and said "Hurry up Matt!" or is this just pure Spieth hate?

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I admit if I was able to play out there I would be hated. I play quickly, without excessive delays. And I'll admit Jordan does do a lot of things that bug me. I get that he's trying to get the best possible outcome from a bad situation, but to me there's also a point where it shouldn't be taking this long.

So during next Club Championship you are leading by one and you take unplayable, but decide not to walk back to tee but to drop in knee high grass. Just to play quickly.

Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Vokey wedges

Tell Jordan to hurry up? You mean "Hurry up and get the ruling"? How does that work?

I'm not sure some of you most vociferous critics actually watched what happened. Also, if roles had been reversed, and Kuchar had a situation that took that long, would you post, "Kuchar clearly effected Spieth and Jordan should have walked over and said "Hurry up Matt!" or is this just pure Spieth hate?

I dont hate Speith at all I think Kuch could have got in his head there though, and I did watch it, I certainly wouldnt have been fist bumping the guy Im trying to beat with holes to play anyway.

Edit: and i meant instead of going in for the fist bump he could have said go hit your next shot ive waited long enough.

I dont hate Speith at all I think Kuch could have got in his head there though, and I did watch it, I certainly wouldnt have been fist bumping the guy Im trying to beat with holes to play anyway.

Edit: and i meant instead of going in for the fist bump he could have said go hit your next shot ive waited long enough.

He was accepting Jordan's apology with his gesture. Seems like they both acted like gentlemen and professionally. No need for anyone to act like a jerk to get in someone's head.

He was accepting Jordan's apology with his gesture. Seems like they both acted like gentlemen and professionally. No need for anyone to act like a jerk to get in someone's head.

Id say Kuch should have gained any edge he could since Jordan has an edge on him and ultimately won. Dont think it would have been that bad either. As an aside I heard commentators saying thier caddies looked like they were getting into it after that hole anyone catch any of that?

Get in Jordan's head?!! Might have pi$$ed him off and he would have finished: ace, eagle, birdie, eagle, birdie instead.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

Tiger would have been a jerk to Jordan all day, since Tiger was looking to win with any edge he could get. I think that Kuchar could have likely increased his chances to win if he'd have been a jerk to jordan, but that's not his style. I'm not saying Kuchar should have done that, but I think it would have helped his cause.

Id say Kuch should have gained any edge he could since Jordan has an edge on him and ultimately won. Dont think it would have been that bad either. As an aside I heard commentators saying thier caddies looked like they were getting into it after that hole anyone catch any of that?

It sure didn't seem like Jordan had any "edge" on him in that moment. Everything up to that point indicated that Jordan's game was going sideways literally and figuratively. This is the hole where Kuch first took the lead. How does Spieth have an edge. Kuch just got steam rolled by an all time great in an all time great moment. Period.

I don't understand all these people saying Jordan shouldn't take a legal drop that he thought gave him the best chance to score because, well, reasons. But Kuch should have acted intentionally whiney and dramatic to "get in his head."

This was two class acts, acting like men. They both played incredible and gave us a show. Too bad one of them had to lose. Enjoy it. Dang.

Get in Jordan's head?!! Might have pi$$ed him off and he would have finished: ace, eagle, birdie, eagle, birdie instead.

Probably.

But just imagine if Jordan Spieth actually takes the following from this experience: "Wow, I played the best golf I have ever played after running down the fairway and by really, really hurrying and playing as fast I possibly can to make up for the time the ruling and the drop took" (because it was obvious to see that he did that).

Maybe he now thinks that he is even better when playing speed golf. He could get into almost every other tour player's head if he did this.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Speith had an edge as a 3 time major champion and the better player.

3 time already on 13th? There were other major winners in the tournament and they did not have edge.

Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Vokey wedges